Start by marking “Doctor Who: Max Warp” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Max Warp

Doctor Who: Max Warp (New Eighth Doctor Adventures #2.2)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Welcome to Max Warp! Broadcasting live from the Sirius Inter-G Cruiser Show. Hosted by outspoken columnist and media personality Geoffrey Vantage, with spaceship-guru-extraordinaire O’Reilley and daredevil pilot Timbo ‘the Ferret’.

When a test flight of the new Kith Sunstorm ends in disaster, the Sirius Exhibition Station is plunged into a web of murder and intrigue. Someon
Published February 2008

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Jamie Revell
The 8th Doctor series does its first comedy episode as it spoofs a certain BBC show that's on a par with Doctor Who itself in terms of popularity. The story is a murder mystery based around the eponymous show for spaceship enthusiasts in an unspecified future setting. It moves along at quite a pace, although the plot itself is rather bonkers and probably doesn't bear too much thinking about.

This would probably just be a 3-star audio if it weren't for the spoof elements, which serve to push it
Jon Arnold
The essence of high concept: Doctor Who does Top Gear. Jonathan Morris spins a diplomatic murder mystery around the apparent death of one of the presenters of a much-beloved by boys of a certain age show. As you’d expect from that it’s a fast moving comedy, the quicker pace of these single CD releases feeling like a breath of fresh air compared to the contemporary releases in their main range. The Max Warp sections don’t amount to much more than parody, but they’re given comic weight by an enjoy ...more
Amanda
I listened to the first season and half of The Eight Doctor & Lucie Miller incredibly close together and back to back, so all of them are going to end up with the same review for the moment while I'm fixing up my forgotten rec's and clearing out my Currently Reading Folder (which shouldn't be 40+ books, it should be somewhere relatively close to right under ten).

I have loved meeting Eight, and his resigned but inspirational way of being. I love Lucy's moxy, and her mouth. Her mouth may be t
Tabitha
I could actually picture McGann's face as he drooled over the "toys" and when he was offended by Lucie insulting the TARDIS. It was a fun opening to the adventure.

There were many parallels between this story and modern day. Besides having a "Top Gear" feel about it, there was the boys with their toys, politics, war, sexism and even some conspiracy theorists. For the most part I was impressed with the way this was all handled in the time allotted.

The Doctor's speech near the end felt like a Scoob
Aidan
As is often the case with these New Eighth Doctor Adventures, the casting for this story is excellent. Graeme Garden nails the character of Geoffrey Vantage, a not-at-all veiled parody of Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson, replicating his over-the-top macho style perfectly. As much as I enjoyed Garden though, I had the most laughs from James Fleet in the role of O'Reilley - the boorish spaceship expert who suffers constant put-downs from Vantage.

While I think listeners who are knowledgeable abo
Steven
One of the more comic outins from the 8th Doctor and Lucie, built around a parody of the BBC's hit series Top Gear. Sadly, while the Clarkson parody is spot on, they kill of the equivalent of the Hamster right away, and render the James May analog as actually rather boring, lacking the glint of Mad Scientist May always has. It's a murder mystery underpinned by the possibilities of war.
Christopher Buchanan
A solid little who-dunnit. (I'm hyphonating there, haha!) The supporting characters are fairly two dimentional and it's not exactly a mind bender of a story but it is fun. It's a Scooby-do. Paul McGann and Sheridan Smith have their usual chemistry going on and the production itself has some nice color to it. Not spectacular, but very enjoyable.
Mel
One of my least favourite troupes in Doctor Who is when they re-do a modern thing set in the future. Here they have a mock version of Top Gear. Err.... And Lucie seems to have lost all her brain cells! What's up with the "hamster and rodent" hypothesis.

I think this was definitely the weakest of the bunch so far.
Nicholas Whyte
Also moderately good fun, with Graeme Garden guesting as a Jeremy Clarkson character whose equivalent of 'Top Gear' is at the centre of tensions in a delicately balanced peace process. Which makes more sense than at first sounds. I have never knowingly watched Top Gear but I still enjoyed it.
Emily
It was ok and some of the Top Gear parody stuff was funny (especially James Fleet in the James May role), but it was a little overdone and the rest of the story was just average.
Inez
Oct 23, 2014 Inez rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: tardis
Grant
Grant added it
Aug 02, 2015
MyWhovianLab
MyWhovianLab marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Bobby Corry
Bobby Corry marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Margo White
Margo White marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Tina Shepherd
Tina Shepherd marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Avarill
Avarill marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jonathan Morris is a prolific writer of Doctor Who fiction. He has contributed to many ranges, in every medium except television. His style has often been compared to that of Douglas Adams, perhaps in part because he dedicated The Tomorrow Windows to Adams. Indeed, this dedication was discussed at length in at least one prominent interview about the book, in which the interviewer's questions and M ...more
More about Jonathan Morris...

New Eighth Doctor Adventures (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • Doctor Who: Blood of the Daleks, Part 1 (8th Doctor Series Vol. 1, Audio CD)
  • Doctor Who: Blood of the Daleks, Part 2 (8th Doctor Series Vol. 2, Audio CD)
  • Doctor Who: Horror of Glam Rock
  • Doctor Who: Immortal Beloved
  • Doctor Who: Phobos
  • Doctor Who: No More Lies
  • Doctor Who: Human Resources, Part One
  • Doctor Who: Human Resources, Part Two
  • Doctor Who: Dead London
  • Doctor Who: Brave New Town
Doctor Who: Touched By An Angel Doctor Who: Festival of Death Doctor Who: Bloodtide (Big Finish Audio Drama, #22) Doctor Who: Deimos Doctor Who: Flip-Flop (Big Finish Audio Drama, #46)