Start by marking “Plows, Plagues, and Petroleum: How Humans Took Control of Climate” as Want to Read:
Plows, Plagues, and Petroleum: How Humans Took Control of Climate

Plows, Plagues, and Petroleum: How Humans Took Control of Climate

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The impact on climate from 200 years of industrial development is an everyday fact of life, but did humankind's active involvement in climate change really begin with the industrial revolution, as commonly believed? William Ruddiman's provocative new book argues that humans have actually been changing the climate for some 8,000 years--as a result of the earlier discovery o ...more
Published August 21st 2005 by Princeton University Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Plows, Plagues, and Petroleum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plows, Plagues, and Petroleum

Daniel
great book on climate history.
The author not only presents his theory and background information in a way easy to understand even for people with no background, but also shares his intellectual journey - how he started noticing unusual developments, explored various explanations, eliminated some of them and finally developed his thesis. He also shows readers how climate historians work and what kind of evidence they use. Prof Ruddiman is part of the book - he shares not only his knowledge, but
Patrick
A climatologist, Ruddiman in the early noughts observed that levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere started deviating from their expected paths about 7,000 years. What follows is a detective story - the story of how Ruddiman came to the conclusion that one factor, and one factor only, could explain the discrepancy: the human factor. Forest clearance and wet rice agriculture started around that time, realised carbon dioxide and methane, and compensating for the natural cooling that would ha ...more
Alysha
Sep 30, 2008 Alysha added it
My father is the author of this book. It's a bit technical, but it gives a non-alarmist look into how humans have impacted the earth's climate.
Roger Burk
The author's thesis is that the onset of agriculture around 6000 BC slowed and then reversed the onset of an ice age that would otherwise be upon us now. The argument is logical and cogent, and in the area of the author's expertise, but I remain unconvinced for two reasons: (1) The primary argument is the very weak one that he can't think of any other reason an ice age hasn't happened; and (2) He posits an immediate and very strong effect from agriculture on atmospheric CO2 (e.g. in fig. 9.2), a ...more
Casandra
This was required for a class and I was hesitant that I would enjoy it because a few people that had read it before said it was dry- however I completely disagree. As a fellow scientist with strong interest in climate science I felt that this book was VERY easy to read and very informative. Ruddiman's theory is one of the better and well thought out theories I've read on the subject and I would highly recommend anyone interested in climate science and its past, to read this book.
Jonathan
Jan 01, 2011 Jonathan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to any one interested in climate
Recommended to Jonathan by: Jim Kurz
This book takes one more deeply into the science of climate change than most current popular writing and looks at the effect humans have had over thousnads of years, not just the last century or so. The subtitle "How Humans Took Control of Climate" summarizes what this book is about, although "affect" perhaps should replace "control" as control suggests a more purposeful activity. The author is a scientist who is describing his own work as well as that of others; his views are by no means extrem ...more
Frederick Bingham
The basic thesis of this book is that humans have been controlling climate for much longer than anyone has thought. For about 6000 years humans have been clearing forests and emitting CO2. The current climate would be approaching an ice age if not for human modification of the climate. He also talks about disease outbreaks and how they have affected the emissions of CO2 over the years. It's a scientific book, with some figures and numbers to go along with it.
Erin
Fascinating to find out that human causes of climate change started long ago, and today is just an acceleration of what started in prehistoric times. Might be a tough read for non-science types. Lots of astronomy at the beginning to establish the normal pattern of hot and cold spells.
Chuck Russo
Excellent book, well written for the general science audience. Presents a very interesting theory about the effects of humans on climate, without any of the politically-tainted alarmism or anti-alarmism so prevalent in this general field these days.
Jerry
I really liked Ruddiman's examination and hypothesis for climate change. It's sensible, well researched and very, very pleasurable to read. It has a few holes that he doesn't really cover, but on the whole it's a great book that is pretty thought provoking.
Amanda Spacaj-Gorham
I don't know about the changes of 8,000 years ago, but it's a great argument no matter how you slice it. I read this as a required reading for a class several years ago. I found it intellectually stimulating yet accessible while always written.

Greg
A different perspective on global warming. The author presents a pretty good case that we've impacted climate for a long time, and while the warming isn't necessarily good, its probably better than the alternative.
Liubov
Really interesting work about climate history. It shows quite fascinating perspective on antropogenic influence of climate change. I would recommend this book to everyone.
Noel Sander
Be weary of this book. Ruddiman assumes a high degree of knowledge about historical climate change. It was a hard book to get through, but it was quite fascinating.
Gwen Hill
reading this for my climate change class, but very pleased with both the content and format of this book. Way to make learning fun, Ruddiman.
Marian
An interesting history of how man has affectedthe earth's climate starting 5,000 years ago with the invention of agriculture.
Ann M
Fascinating, if dry look at how people affect global warming.
thelettern
thelettern marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
JUNG, INWHAN
JUNG, INWHAN marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Ashleigh
Ashleigh marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Thiago
Thiago marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Eden
Eden added it
Jan 25, 2015
Katie Cummins
Katie Cummins marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Helena
Helena marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
  • Floods, Famines, And Emperors: El Nino And The Fate Of Civilizations
  • Storms Of My Grandchildren: The Truth About The Climate Catastrophe And Our Last Chance To Save Humanity
  • The Hockey Stick and the Climate Wars: Dispatches from the Front Lines
  • Under a Green Sky: Global Warming, the Mass Extinctions of the Past, and What They Can Tell Us About Our Future
  • With Speed and Violence: Why Scientists Fear Tipping Points in Climate Change
  • A Green History of the World: The Environment & the Collapse of Great Civilizations
  • Heat: How to Stop the Planet From Burning
  • The Discovery of Global Warming (New Histories of Science, Technology, and Medicine)
  • Water: A Natural History
  • The Party's Over: Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial Societies
  • Car Guys vs. Bean Counters: The Battle for the Soul of American Business
  • Red Sky at Morning: America and the Crisis of the Global Environment
  • The Weather Makers: How Man Is Changing the Climate and What It Means for Life on Earth
  • Global Warming: The Complete Briefing
  • Climate Cover-Up: The Crusade to Deny Global Warming
  • The Collapse of Complex Societies
  • Natural Experiments of History
  • State of the World 2013: Is Sustainability Still Possible?
Earth's Climate: Past and Future Earth Transformed Los tres jinetes del cambio climático Earth's Climate: Past and Future Earth's Climate & EarthInquiry (Web Site Access Card)