Start by marking “The Town That Came A-Courtin'” as Want to Read:
The Town That Came A-Courtin'

The Town That Came A-Courtin'

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  167 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Folks around Dexter, Georgia, where Abby Houston grew up, say the obituary writer turned worldwide bestselling author is the luckiest woman alive. Her mama, though, says: "Lucky in life means unlucky in love." Her mama must be right, because Abby's been getting her heart broken since sixth grade. Then one day she waltzes into the tiny town of Bliss, Mississippi. Abby's use ...more
Published May 2nd 2006 by Berkley Trade (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Town That Came A-Courtin', please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Town That Came A-Courtin'

The Help by Kathryn StockettTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggGarden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
Quirky Southern Fiction
360th out of 687 books — 1,756 voters
The Help by Kathryn StockettGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggDivine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca WellsTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Southern Chick Lit
125th out of 199 books — 195 voters

More lists with this book...

Carly
Apr 17, 2008 Carly rated it it was ok
Recommended to Carly by: a co-worker
This is certainly not one of the best books I've ever read, but it's a perky little story full of delightful anecdotes. If you're looking for an easy read with simple southern charm, romance, humour, and a little bit of drama, then introduce yourself to Ms. Abby Houston, a protagonist whom you can't help but love. In her own words, she is a “storyteller, a simple creature graced with the DNA that permeates the bloodlines of most people born in the Deep South…nothing special, no different than mo ...more
Glenda L
Aug 12, 2014 Glenda L rated it liked it
This was a cute good old-fashioned love story ... not a lot of substance, but entertaining. It is full of romance Southern style ... sweet and funny.
Jess
Oct 23, 2014 Jess rated it really liked it
It was a nice quick read.. apparently I'm a sucker for sweet southern novels. I love the small town feeling that was portrayed.
Row
Apr 15, 2015 Row rated it really liked it
Stacie  M. Ritchie
Jan 17, 2010 Stacie M. Ritchie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book was outside my normal reading. It was quirky story that was an entertaining read. If there are stereotypes in the South, this book had them. Now I don’t think the author really meant to put them in there, but I got the feeling she was writing what she knows, namely Deep Southern small towns. I have lived in small towns for most of my life, so it was entertaining to read about a different type of culture than what I am used to. With a kidnapping and a town matchmaking, I would recommend ...more
Patty
Feb 15, 2014 Patty rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
I really enjoyed this book by a local N. GA author. The whole premise is based on a true story that the author experienced where a whole town kept telling her "you need to meet our mayor - he needs a wife." So funny! A really enjoyable read. Anyone who likes a good Southern story or a little quirky romance should read this book.
Amy
Apr 24, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, must-reads
Delightful!
Lori Mason
Mar 16, 2008 Lori Mason rated it really liked it
Shelves: z2005
"I learned that every person has a story, if you'll just take the time to dig down and find it." ... "Sometimes you find those people and those stories in the darkest places. But always, you just have to slow down and take the time to see it." p. 43
Dianna
Jun 25, 2012 Dianna rated it really liked it
What a fun book! Glad Cindy picked this up by accident. If you want a fun quick read, (I read it in a day!) grab this book. You'll fall in love with these characters (yes, even Mama)and learn some insights along the way. Recommended.
Mellisa Stroman
Jan 27, 2015 Mellisa Stroman rated it liked it
sweet book
Lisa
Jun 18, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
There were a number of places that had me laughing. I related far too well with the character's troubles with her mother. The pace was good. A number of the characters reminded of people I knew. Poor Elmer - I almost cried.
Katie
Oct 10, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it
Adorable story by a local writer! I loved her column in the paper so I decided to read this book. I found it as cute, sweet, and as southern as her articles. I'm looking forward to reading some of her non-fiction books too!
Jodi Sykes
Sep 03, 2013 Jodi Sykes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book! Having lived in the South for most of my life, Ronda Rich truly captured the "flavor" of Southerners perfectly. I have friends whose mother reminds me of Abby's Mama 110%! What a delightful read!
Emily
May 14, 2009 Emily rated it it was ok
I read this book in condensed form. I thought it was okay, but kind of silly. It was based partly on an experience the author had, but I felt like everything happened too fast in the book and seemed too cheesy.
KATY
Aug 01, 2007 KATY rated it did not like it
Shelves: disliked
I read this when I first started working at the library on a recommendation from a patron. Note to self: not all patron recommendations should be followed.
Clint Smith
Sep 10, 2013 Clint Smith rated it it was amazing
Great story fun and touching - a small town setting with a big heart

Being produced as a movie to be shown on the UP cable network in Jan 2014
Karen
Feb 18, 2010 Karen rated it liked it
An amusing little southern romance that absolutely delighted my mother. Although most of it is predictable, it does offer one off beat twist.
Ashley Bailey
Aug 21, 2008 Ashley Bailey rated it did not like it
HATED this book....i only read the first two chapters and was bored to death so i took it back to the library...it was just so slow ....
Leslie Lamb
Jul 07, 2013 Leslie Lamb rated it really liked it
Kind of sappy and silly. I liked that it was a good clean book. I was surprised at the kidnapping, which gave it some excitement.
Cindy
Jun 20, 2012 Cindy rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Pick this book up by accident and actually was pleasantly surprised. Another great summer read. 3.5 stars for making me feel good!
Sherri
Dec 31, 2008 Sherri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gina
Jan 04, 2009 Gina rated it it was amazing
Ronda Rich! What a delightful read! It was everything I had hoped it would be and more.
Sherri
Mar 25, 2009 Sherri rated it liked it
FUNNY - LIKED THE POINT OF VIEW - A SUCCESSFUL AUTHORESS... MY DREAM!
Bobbie
Jun 02, 2008 Bobbie rated it really liked it
Quick, cute little read about a charming southern town
Vickie
Sep 19, 2008 Vickie rated it it was amazing
so much fun! laugh and cry at the same time. just fun
Mandy
Sep 27, 2012 Mandy rated it it was amazing
Funny read. Makes you want some high heels.
Kim
  • The Southern Belle's Handbook: Sissy LeBlanc's Rules to Live by
  • Man Camp
  • The River Road
  • Modern Hospitality: Simple Recipes with Southern Charm
  • The Best Kitchen Quick Tips: 534 Tricks, Techniques, and Shortcuts for the Curious Cook
  • Going Topless
  • Return Engagement
  • The Power of a Praying Life: Finding the Freedom, Wholeness, and True Success God Has for You
  • North of Clever (Hannah Garvey Mystery #3)
  • The Assault on Tony's