Start by marking “The Fortune (Blackwater, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Fortune (Blackwater, #5)

The Fortune (Blackwater #5)

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  295 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Under Elinor's guidance, the Caskey family prospered after the war, not knowing that a dark infernal force was growing in their midst. And Frances, Elinor's favorite daughter, never understood her strange yearning for the Perdido River....until the day her babies were born.

Elinor presided over the secret birth, the triumph of her life. And the blood red water of the Perdid
Published December 31st 1983 by Avon Books (first published May 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Fortune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fortune

The Fortune by Michael McDowellThe War by Michael McDowellRain by Michael McDowellThe Levee by Michael McDowellThe Flood by Michael McDowell
Best Over-Looked Southern Gothic Classics
1st out of 20 books — 10 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonHell House by Richard MathesonThe Woman in Black by Susan HillHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
Haunted Houses
297th out of 330 books — 416 voters

More lists with this book...

Charlene
Dec 07, 2014 Charlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 80-s-horror, series
This was the fifth book in the Blackwater series and it's just as good as the first.

Somehow this has morphed out of being a horror story,(if it ever was), into something altogether different. Now, it's more of a southern soap opera with a creepy twist and I love it.

I highly recommend this series to everyone because it has a little bit of everything. I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to read it. I am remedying that by moving right along to the final story. I will be sad to see the Caskeys
Jon Recluse
Jan 29, 2015 Jon Recluse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
The fifth installment in the Caskey saga slips into the realm of family drama, lulling readers into what is surely a false sense of security as the shadows slip offstage....but only momentarily.
Surely just a brief respite before what is sure to be an epic Southern Gothic finale.
Kimberly
Sep 09, 2015 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series
The Fortune is book 6 in McDowell's BLACKWATER series. This episode--while having all the unsettling happenings as its predessessors--gave of the "Southern Gothic" soap opera vibe more than any other. There were so many unexpected changes in this particular book, that I think it's my favorite next to Book 1: THE FLOOD.

I haven't been so invested in the lives of fictional characters, as I am with the Caskey family in quite some time! Since this isn't a stand-alone novel, the only thing I can say a
Peter
Sep 16, 2015 Peter rated it it was amazing
The Fortune is the 5th book in the continuing saga of the Caskey family. Elinor with her great mysterious foresight predicts that there is oil under the swampland that is owned by the family. Miriam is out to make her own fortune. She starts buying all the swampland that surrounds the family farm. Miriam and Billy go to different oil companies, trying to persuade them to drill on Caskey land. Elinor's favorite daughter Frances, has twin girls. One is name Lilah, who is more like her father and t ...more
Ken
Oct 25, 2014 Ken rated it it was amazing
Shelves: southern-gothic
"The Fortune" is the fifth book of six in Michael McDowell's Southern Gothic saga "Blackwater".

This installment is about the Caskey family post-WWII. The financial posturing of the previous few decades has started to bear fruit and the Caskeys grow wealthier than they have ever been.

With the final book in the series still to read and the climax of the series still to come, there is just a fear that everything that has gone so well for so long is about to change.

5 STARS
Erica
Oct 24, 2010 Erica rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I would not want to be a kid in this family. They get passed around like a cold. Jeez!!!
Audrey
Jan 04, 2012 Audrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: alabama, crone-power
Everything is so warm and cozy in this book, even if Sister does take to her bed at the threat of her husband returning. Even that manages to be...warm and cozy.

Although Frances raised no objection to Billy's going off to Texas, Sister was furious with Miriam for planning such a trip. She claimed she was being "deserted", left alone to the wolves and starvation, and rendered defenseless prey to thieves, rapists, and perhaps even her husband.

Miriam listened to Sister's ravings from the next roo
Kathryn
Dec 26, 2014 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Wow. This series of books have pulled me in like the Perdido.
Fishface
By Book V in this series, you cannot stop turning the pages. This is the part of the story in which the Caskey family discovers, somewhat to their surprise, that they are unbelievably wealthy.
Bibliophile
Jul 27, 2015 Bibliophile rated it it was amazing
Blackwater V: Fortune: in which the Caskeys get filthy rich. So much delicious soapy drama! Twin babies are born - one is a girl, the other is...not. Zaddie should get a raise and a bonus for her selective vision. An estranged husband returns, to the utter disgust of his wife ("I'm an old maid...I was fighting nature when I got married to you"). Frances embraces her slippery inner self. Miriam embraces her badass inner boss. Someone eats someone else, but they feel bad about it. God, I love this ...more
Bill Arnold
Jun 21, 2016 Bill Arnold rated it really liked it
The Fortune is Volume 5 in the 6 volume set of Michael McDowell's Blackwater series. This particular copy is from the newly published hardbound, illustrated collection from Centipede Press.
The ongoing saga of the Caskey family in Perido, Alabama. Think William Faulkner and Stephen King collaborating on a book (s). Very entertaining.
Andrew
Aug 27, 2013 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As you would expect for a great fall you must first reach the greatest of heights. And this is where The Fortune is leading you. If the spoils of war were not enough to make the Caskey's rich beyond belief there are further treasures to be wrestled from the land around them. But as always with Elinor's gifts there is always a price to pay. You can start to see the first signs that all is not well - and even though it does not take a genius to realise that this is all a house of cards just waitin ...more
eric
Apr 25, 2015 eric rated it liked it
2.5

Debra
Feb 27, 2015 Debra rated it it was amazing
Stephen King recommended author. He says: “McDowell must now be regarded as the finest writer of paperback originals in America.”
Stephen
Dec 02, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it
Another chapter in the Caskey history, very well written and fast reads
Tammy
Feb 12, 2011 Tammy rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
My least favorite of the series so far.
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Jennifer Smith
Jennifer Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Dana Howell
Dana Howell rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Matt Condello
Matt Condello rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Adam Nesmith
Adam Nesmith rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Sleepless
Sleepless marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Destry
Destry marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Tracy Smith
Tracy Smith rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Thebossinthewall
Thebossinthewall rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
James Mckillop
James Mckillop marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Anson Finnegan
Anson Finnegan marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Horror Aficionados : The Fortune-Blackwater #5 23 25 Oct 13, 2014 09:10AM
  • A View from the Lake
  • Thirty Miles South Of Dry County
  • Nightcrawlers
  • Kumquat
  • Sweetheart, Sweetheart
  • Cruelty: Episode One (Cruelty #1)
  • The Narrows
  • Lady in the Water: A Bedtime Story
  • Burnt Offerings
  • I'm Not Sam
  • Vampire Junction
  • Lose, Team, Lose! (Rotten School, #4)
Michael McDowell is a prolific horror writer who has distinguished himself with a varied body of work within the genre. He was born in Enterprise, Alabama, in 1950 and died of AIDS-related illness in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1999.

His first horror novel, The Amulet, relates the tragedies that befall various individuals who come in possession of a supernatural bracelet in a small town.

In McDowell'
More about Michael McDowell...

Blackwater (6 books)
  • The Flood (Blackwater, #1)
  • The Levee (Blackwater, #2)
  • The House (Blackwater, #3)
  • The War (Blackwater, #4)
  • Rain (Blackwater, #6)