Start by marking “The Fortune (Blackwater, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Fortune (Blackwater, #5)

The Fortune (Blackwater #5)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Under Elinor's guidance, the Caskey family prospered after the war, not knowing that a dark infernal force was growing in their midst. And Frances, Elinor's favorite daughter, never understood her strange yearning for the Perdido River....until the day her babies were born.

Elinor presided over the secret birth, the triumph of her life. And the blood red water of the Perdid
Published May 1st 1983 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about The Fortune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fortune

Charlene
This was the fifth book in the Blackwater series and it's just as good as the first.

Somehow this has morphed out of being a horror story,(if it ever was), into something altogether different. Now, it's more of a southern soap opera with a creepy twist and I love it.

I highly recommend this series to everyone because it has a little bit of everything. I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to read it. I am remedying that by moving right along to the final story. I will be sad to see the Caskeys
Jon Recluse
The fifth installment in the Caskey saga slips into the realm of family drama, lulling readers into what is surely a false sense of security as the shadows slip offstage....but only momentarily.
Surely just a brief respite before what is sure to be an epic Southern Gothic finale.
Ken
"The Fortune" is the fifth book of six in Michael McDowell's Southern Gothic saga "Blackwater".

This installment is about the Caskey family post-WWII. The financial posturing of the previous few decades has started to bear fruit and the Caskeys grow wealthier than they have ever been.

With the final book in the series still to read and the climax of the series still to come, there is just a fear that everything that has gone so well for so long is about to change.

5 STARS
Erica
Oct 24, 2010 Erica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I would not want to be a kid in this family. They get passed around like a cold. Jeez!!!
Oddmonster
Everything is so warm and cozy in this book, even if Sister does take to her bed at the threat of her husband returning. Even that manages to be...warm and cozy.

Although Frances raised no objection to Billy's going off to Texas, Sister was furious with Miriam for planning such a trip. She claimed she was being "deserted", left alone to the wolves and starvation, and rendered defenseless prey to thieves, rapists, and perhaps even her husband.

Miriam listened to Sister's ravings from the next roo
Kathryn
Wow. This series of books have pulled me in like the Perdido.
Bibliophile
Blackwater V: Fortune: in which the Caskeys get filthy rich. So much delicious soapy drama! Twin babies are born - one is a girl, the other is...not. Zaddie should get a raise and a bonus for her selective vision. An estranged husband returns, to the utter disgust of his wife ("I'm an old maid...I was fighting nature when I got married to you"). Frances embraces her slippery inner self. Miriam embraces her badass inner boss. Someone eats someone else, but they feel bad about it. God, I love this ...more
Andrew
As you would expect for a great fall you must first reach the greatest of heights. And this is where The Fortune is leading you. If the spoils of war were not enough to make the Caskey's rich beyond belief there are further treasures to be wrestled from the land around them. But as always with Elinor's gifts there is always a price to pay. You can start to see the first signs that all is not well - and even though it does not take a genius to realise that this is all a house of cards just waitin ...more
Debra
Stephen King recommended author. He says: “McDowell must now be regarded as the finest writer of paperback originals in America.”
Stephen
Another chapter in the Caskey history, very well written and fast reads
Tammy
My least favorite of the series so far.
MiZzy Miz
MiZzy Miz marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Blàthnaid
Blàthnaid marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Matthew Wenslauskis
Matthew Wenslauskis marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
faisal
faisal marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Ann Altermann
Ann Altermann marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Ruth Gordon
Ruth Gordon marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
  • Sweetheart, Sweetheart
  • Lady in the Water: A Bedtime Story
  • Red
  • Bumper Crop
  • Lose, Team, Lose! (Rotten School, #4)
  • Vampire Junction
  • When We Join Jesus In Hell
  • Candles Burning
  • Burnt Offerings
  • Property of a Lady (Nell West/Michael Flint Series, #1)
  • The Angel Chronicles, Vol. 1 (The Angel Chronicles, #1)
Michael McDowell is a prolific horror writer who has distinguished himself with a varied body of work within the genre. He was born in Enterprise, Alabama, in 1950 and died of AIDS-related illness in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1999.

His first horror novel, The Amulet, relates the tragedies that befall various individuals who come in possession of a supernatural bracelet in a small town.

In McDowell'
More about Michael McDowell...

Blackwater (6 books)
  • The Flood (Blackwater, #1)
  • The Levee (Blackwater, #2)
  • The House (Blackwater, #3)
  • The War (Blackwater, #4)
  • Rain (Blackwater, #6)
The Elementals The Flood (Blackwater, #1) The Levee (Blackwater, #2) The House (Blackwater, #3) Rain (Blackwater, #6)