Start by marking “The Great Gatsby” as Want to Read:
The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,477,206 Ratings  ·  46,598 Reviews
THE GREAT GATSBY, F. Scott Fitzgerald’s third book, stands as the supreme achievement of his career. This exemplary novel of the Jazz Age has been acclaimed by generations of readers. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan, of lavish parties on Long Island at a time when The New York Times noted “gin was the national dr ...more
Published 2004 by Scribner (first published April 10th 1925)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Gatsby, please sign up.

Christine I do not think that 'transgender' is exactly the word you mean. I am pretty sure Nick identifies as a man, and he has not undergone any hormone…moreI do not think that 'transgender' is exactly the word you mean. I am pretty sure Nick identifies as a man, and he has not undergone any hormone treatments is 1922!! However -- I would say there is definite evidence that Nick has homo-erotic tendencies and most likely is in love with Gatsby.

I had read the novel twice and I never thought this before. But upon my 3rd read I discovered some passages that indicate Nick's homosexual tendencies. Namely -- Nick accompanies Mr. McKee home after a night of hard drinking and possibly ends up in his bed (p. 38). There are attractive women at the party, Nick has been paired off with Catherine, yet he leaves her and follows Mr. McKee, a total stranger, all the way home! In another incident, Nick is riding the train and he fantasizes about kissing the male conductor (p. 115). In another passage, Nick laments turning thirty and the fact that his list of 'single men' is dwindling (p. 135). These incidents are coupled with the fact that Nick repeatedly turns down offers from women, including Jordan Baker, girls from his home town and office romances. Nothing ever develops between Nick and any women, nor does he express desire for them. In such a beautifully written novel, Nick's attraction to any female would surely have been emphasized. But it is not. His infatuation for Gatsby is told many times and in great detail!

These clues are subtle, the kind of thing a reader might easily pass over. However, upon my 3rd read I must say the implications are definitely THERE.

It is a very layered and complicatetd novel. I believe Fitzgerald was attempting to encompass several sections of society. Why was he so vague? Remember, the novel was published in 1925, a time when people were jailed, beat up and killed for homosexuality.
(less)
Chrissa I don't think so. There is this scene in chapter 6, and they're in the hotel, (Gatsby, Daisy, Tom, Jordan and Nick) and Tom says "... and next they'll…moreI don't think so. There is this scene in chapter 6, and they're in the hotel, (Gatsby, Daisy, Tom, Jordan and Nick) and Tom says "... and next they'll throw everything overboard and have intermarriage between black and white."
Whereupon Jordan says: "We're all white here."(less)
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling1984 by George OrwellPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Books That Everyone Should Read At Least Once
9th out of 16,555 books — 77,914 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee1984 by George OrwellThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Best Books of the 20th Century
4th out of 6,585 books — 44,481 voters

More lists with this book...

filter: 1 star  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
svnh
Jul 31, 2007 svnh rated it did not like it
Shelves: one-more-time
After six years of these heated and polarized debates, I'm deleting the reviews that sparked them. Thanks for sharing your frustrations, joys, and insights with me, goodreaders. Happy reading!

In love and good faith, always,
Savannah
Pollopicu
Oct 28, 2009 Pollopicu rated it did not like it
This is my least-favorite classic of all time. Probably even my least favorite book, ever.
I didn't have the faintest iota of interest in neither era nor lifestyle of the people in this novela. So why did I read it to begin with? well, because I wanted to give it a chance. I've been surprised by many books, many a times. Thought this could open a new literary door for me.
Most of the novel was incomprehensibly lame. I was never fully introduced to the root of the affair that existed between Gatsb
Erin
Sep 25, 2007 Erin rated it did not like it
I just don't get the hype on this one. Then again, I guess there's a reason why this book was unpopular and forgotten about for the first 20-30 years after it was first published. Personally, it makes no difference to me that this is supposed to be an "important" literary novel, as I like to make those conclusions for myself rather than going with the masses just because it's the masses. I found this book to be quite boring and rather depressing. Thankfully it was a short one day read. I am will ...more
Danny Phanton
Jan 20, 2016 Danny Phanton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: peores-2015
1.5

Debo decir que me decepciono, esperaba más del libro por algunas de las cosas que escuchaba de el, pero al final, no me gustó, se me hizo bastante aburrido, y que no pasaba nada, absolutamente nada, se me hicieron eternos algunos capítulos y con mucha descripción que no, simplemente me daban ganas de pasar las páginas, los personajes no me gustaron y me parecieron tontos, más Daisy.

Un libro aburrido para mi y que no me deja nada, a pesar de que el final me tomó por sorpresa no fue lo que esp
Dylan
Jul 31, 2010 Dylan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-loathe
This book is pointless. Nothing happens in the entire book, the characters just talk, drink, and cheat on each other. I would rather have gotten a root canal then read this book. (It was for class.) Anyway I recommend this book to no one!!!

Edit: Okay, I realize now that this was a really harsh review. I had to read it in high school and was very perturbed about it. I feel bad for ranting on it. I appreciate what this book is and it was very well written, it was just not my cup of tea.
sologdin
Feb 17, 2014 sologdin rated it did not like it
Shelves: literary
waste of space rich loser chases women, has champagne cocktails, dies.
Alicia O'Carrick
Mar 30, 2016 Alicia O'Carrick rated it did not like it

Attempted re-read: November 2015

description

Fuck it. This book is worse than I remember. I'm going to SparkNotes.

----------------------------------------

First read: December 2014

No—Gatsby turned out all right at the end; it is what preyed on Gatsby, what foul dust floated in the wake of his dreams that temporarily closed out my interest in the abortive sorrows and short-winded elations of men.

(Starting with this one, I think I’m going to start writing my reviews a little differently….)

Sorry, guys, this one
Nikki (Tumblr.Books)
Dec 30, 2015 Nikki (Tumblr.Books) rated it did not like it
I don't get it.

The writing just bored me to tears. I thought I would go a different approach and listen to the audio, and there were still times where it.. dragged. And dragged. And dragged. There were so many pointless paragraphs and pages and even conversations between characters, that whatever point the author was trying to make, it was completely lost on me.

If this is the kind of books they had me reading in school, it's no wonder I had no interest in it. This is one I will not be rereading
Zeek
Jan 06, 2012 Zeek rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Halfway through and I don’t even care anymore. I’ll read the synopsis for the rest. If I want to read about shiftless rich people and their drunken machinations, I'll read the Hollywood Reporter or TMZ.

My thoughts?

Characters were less than engaging- I could give two cents for any of them. All right, maybe five cents for Nick Carraway, the narrator, but that's about it. Ultimately, depressing and boring.

DNF

Why this is still required reading, I simply can't fathom...
Rayroy
Nov 07, 2013 Rayroy rated it did not like it
I just hated it, maybe one star is harsh being that I didn't read all of it and it's short and I tried, look F.Scott Fitzerald was a great writer but so was Sherwood Anderson and Knut Hamsun, look I'm not a fan of the so called Lost Generation of 1920's writers, look for me Great American Lit or what I like started with Saul Bellow , or after the crash or post Second World War. Maybe it's just me but I feel this is classic lit for people who read less the five books a year if they read one a yea ...more
Carolina
Jun 16, 2015 Carolina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, 50libros
Un titulo alternativo podría ser pobre niños ricos y es que estos personajes tienen la inteligencia emocional de unos bebés y no puedo creer como la historia quería que simpatizara con unos tontos que arruinan la vida de todo el que se les cruza por enfrente y luego tienen el descaro de llorar porque su vida es "tan difícil".

Literalmente la historia trata sobre un par de estúpidos que nunca maduraron de la etapa de la adolescencia, todos y cada uno de ellos son despreciables, egocéntricos y sin
Olivia Jensen
Feb 19, 2009 Olivia Jensen rated it did not like it
I have read this at least three times. Once for pleasure and twice for school. All three times I hated it. The symbolism is too obvious and Daisy (isn't that her name) is over the top indulgent and snooty. None of the characters were likable and that ruined the book for me. Their privledged secret world was ridiculous and nothing in that book appealed to me. It is my number one most hated classic book!
Riannon
Jul 02, 2008 Riannon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Some people think this book is great, but I never saw the attraction. To me it just comes off as a book about a bunch of miserable people leading miserable lives. I couldn't find it in my heart to care about what happened to any of them.
Patrick
Oct 07, 2008 Patrick rated it did not like it
Recommended to Patrick by: Chuck Palahniuk
Shelves: 2008
He should have called it "Desperate House-Husbands." What? This is a classic? Fuck Fitzgerald, fuck the roaring 20's, and FUCK YOU.
Rita Webb
Dec 24, 2009 Rita Webb rated it did not like it
Shelves: literature
Maybe I was just in a bad mood that week, but this book just left me depressed.
Cαiтℓуn ~is close the closest star?~
HALLELUJAH I'M DONE!! NEVER HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK AGAIN! :D
Brandon Hunter
Jan 11, 2011 Brandon Hunter rated it did not like it
Dear Potential Reader,
The Great Gatsby is an okay book about love, hate, friendship,betrayal, symbolism, murder, and money. The book starts off as the narrator, also known as Nick Carraway, moving to a town named West Egg. Nick Carraway is a 1915 Yale Graduate. When Nick moved to West Egg, he made a new friend, named Jay Gatsby. Jay Gatsby is a millionaire that likes to throw parties. He throws great parties every Saturday night that can last until 3 am.
Nick has a married cousin named Daisy. D
Christina
WARNING: THIS REVIEW HAS SPOILERS. IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW HOW THE BOOK ENDS, DO NOT READ THIS REVIEW. IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW GATSBY'S BIG SECRET, DO NOT READ THIS REVIEW.

But in all sincerity, it's underwhelming...

My New Year’s Resolution for 2013 was to read or revisit the Classics. In the case of those I am to revisit, I want to see if a difference in age changes my opinion of a book. The Great Gatsby is the first of 2013. I decided to make this review a little different and record my r
Holly
Dec 21, 2014 Holly rated it did not like it
Recommended to Holly by: Required for English
After hearing many good things about Gatsby, I was very excited about studying it in English. While I approached the book with an open mind, I was wary of how good it could be in the length it was, or how much the setting would suit my liking.

While I can't fault Fitgerald's writing, it was a very well written book. I couldn't write nearly anything as good, and in that sense, I enjoyed the book. However, I found it was lacking in several key points, which overall, made me come to dislike the book
Jessica
Nov 17, 2012 Jessica rated it did not like it
I HATE THIS BOOK. I didn't like anything about this novel. The central point centered around a flighty, air headed dumb blonde, a man named Nick with the personality of a brown paper bag, and a man will ill-gotten gains whose vocabulary consisted of only two words: Daisy and Old Sport. I honestly don't care if Gatsby was chasing after the "American dream" and i could care less because i thought so little of the characters and what they were all doing besides drinking and cheating on each other. ...more
Joyzi
Nov 15, 2011 Joyzi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Weirdos who love to read classics
Recommended to Joyzi by: Teacher in Lit
Oh Great Gatsby and your shenanigans. Pfffft.

I really don't understand why they think you're a great book maybe it just so happen that I'm not that really big on vocabulary and I'm a lousy, lousy reader who just don't have the patience to read you from cover to cover.

Sorry but my brain can't seem to handle you after the first two chapters.

DNF
Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it did not like it
Shelves: classics, 2fiction, 1paper
High school 'must read' lists ruined a lot of good books for me. I didn't enjoy this book in high school, but after finding several other books which I later enjoyed, I tried this one again. I just don't like the way he writes. Puts me to sleep. I found nothing of interest in the book & couldn't finish it.
Jeannette Nikolova
Nov 18, 2011 Jeannette Nikolova rated it did not like it
I cannot even begin to understand the reasons of why is this named the best book of the 20th century. I tried and I tried to care about the story, about the characters, about the book and I failed miserably.
The oh-so-congratulated language wasn't that special at all to me, I haven't read other Fitzgerald books but in Gatsby I wasn't impressed. There are writers who truly ARE masters of words and so far I wouldn't put Fitzgerald among them.
Not to mention the characters who are boring as hell an
Julia Putnam
Dec 17, 2012 Julia Putnam rated it did not like it
I don't understand. This is said to be F. Scott Fitzgerald's greatest work. It is also said that Mr. Fitzgerald is one of America's most important authors. If that is really true than I am sad for America.

I don't understand what is so wonderful about this book. I don't understand how people love it. It's an over-written essay about the rich jerk-offs of the past! All anyone does is drink, talk shit or cheat on each other! How is that important? Why is that considered classic?

I realize and comple
Gabby
Apr 07, 2013 Gabby rated it did not like it
For everyone who defines this book as "a great love story", I have to ask what kind of screwed up version of love have you got? For me, this novel had nothing whatsoever to do with love. What it does deal with is the notion that the rich can do whatever they like (in Fitzgerald's time) and suffer no repercussions. It's also testament to the fact that you cannot buy your way into elite, entitled circles no matter what form of ruse you use. For me, this novel was far too cynical, while also being ...more
Guy Terry
Mar 09, 2011 Guy Terry rated it did not like it
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG ...more
Duncan Ralston
Dec 17, 2013 Duncan Ralston rated it did not like it
Look, I don't hate a lot of the classics, but this is one I absolutely despise. The writing style is so flowery, they could stock it at FTD. It's all metaphor and very little substance. Hate the characters, hate the narrator. Daisy is a vapid, insipid little twerp, and Gatsby is clueless and pathetic, a celebrity hanger-on and an (alleged) bootlegger, whose thuggery (to make it even more boring) is not interesting enough for Fitzgerald to explore, instead happening outside the narrative of this ...more
jrkoop.reads
Mar 01, 2016 jrkoop.reads rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I don't understand why this book is considered a classic. (While yes, I understand the influence of pop-culture which has refused to let this book die because of it's mass-production and distribution among troops, etc.) There wasn't really a coherent plot to this work. The writing holds the tone of someone trying to sound more sophisticated than what they are, and truthfully, the style isn't pulled off by Fitzgerald. The characters themselves are no more than caricatures who act like c ...more
أَحْمَد
Apr 15, 2016 أَحْمَد rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
هذا فرااااق بينى وبين الروايات
.جبرت لحد كدا يا جدعان...مفيش روايات تانى .
أنا كنت عارف من الأول أن حالة السعادة والسلام التى نشأت مؤخرا فجاة بينى وبين الروايات على حين غفلة ، كنت أشعر انها لن تنتهى بخير

....شكرا غاتسبى ..
انت عظيم فعلاً
Sarah Goodwin
Dec 15, 2012 Sarah Goodwin rated it did not like it
This novel was on my list of important books to read to improve my understanding of books as a whole.

It's not now.

I read the book, it was alright, I got through it, though I had to struggle. The protagonist was boring, the sense of place unclear, and I found all the characters to be woefully dull.

I got the point of it, it had some interesting moments, but perhaps would have appealed to me more as a six page short story, a length that might have suited the amount of interesting material better.

I
The Book Was Better: GREAT GATSBY 5 43 17 hours, 44 min ago
Mills AP Lit and ...: June Post #3: Casements and The Great Gatsby 7 26 Jun 25, 2016 09:32AM
Mills AP Lit and ...: June Post #2: The Great Gatsby and East/West 6 25 Jun 25, 2016 09:30AM
Around the Year i...: The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald 10 54 Jun 23, 2016 10:41AM
Is Nick Carraway gay? 2515 7304 Jun 08, 2016 12:52PM
About Daisy 38 124 Jun 06, 2016 02:58PM
  • Cold Comfort Farm
  • A Farewell to Arms
  • Brideshead Revisited
  • The Power and the Glory
  • Sweet Thursday (Cannery Row, #2)
  • Doctor Zhivago
  • Everything That Rises Must Converge: Stories
  • As You Like It
  • A Dance to the Music of Time: 1st Movement (A Dance to the Music of Time, #1-3)
  • The Awakening and Other Stories
  • Bel-Ami
  • The Things They Carried
  • Waiting for the Barbarians
  • Animal Dreams
  • Forty Stories (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics)
  • The Magnificent Ambersons (The Growth Trilogy, #2)
  • Sentimental Education
  • A Streetcar Named Desire
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...

“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” 9296 likes
“I hope she'll be a fool -- that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.” 8378 likes