Start by marking “The Great Gatsby” as Want to Read:
The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  2,045,972 ratings  ·  41,383 reviews
A portrait of the Jazz Age in all of its decadence and excess, The Great Gatsby captured the spirit of the author's generation and earned itself a permanent place in American mythology. Self-made, self-invented millionaire Jay Gatsby embodies some of Fitzgerald's--and his country's--most abiding obsessions: money, ambition, greed, and the promise of new beginnings. "Gatsby ...more
Published September 30th 2004 by Scribner (first published 1925)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Gatsby, please sign up.

Christine I do not think that 'transgender' is exactly the word you mean. I am pretty sure Nick identifies as a man, and he has not undergone any hormone…moreI do not think that 'transgender' is exactly the word you mean. I am pretty sure Nick identifies as a man, and he has not undergone any hormone treatments is 1922!! However -- I would say there is definite evidence that Nick has homo-erotic tendencies and most likely is in love with Gatsby.

I had read the novel twice and I never thought this before. But upon my 3rd read I discovered some passages that indicate Nick's homosexual tendencies. Namely -- Nick accompanies Mr. McKee home after a night of hard drinking and possibly ends up in his bed (p. 38). There are attractive women at the party, Nick has been paired off with Catherine, yet he leaves her and follows Mr. McKee, a total stranger, all the way home! In another incident, Nick is riding the train and he fantasizes about kissing the male conductor (p. 115). In another passage, Nick laments turning thirty and the fact that his list of 'single men' is dwindling (p. 135). These incidents are coupled with the fact that Nick repeatedly turns down offers from women, including Jordan Baker, girls from his home town and office romances. Nothing ever develops between Nick and any women, nor does he express desire for them. In such a beautifully written novel, Nick's attraction to any female would surely have been emphasized. But it is not. His infatuation for Gatsby is told many times and in great detail!

These clues are subtle, the kind of thing a reader might easily pass over. However, upon my 3rd read I must say the implications are definitely THERE.

It is a very layered and complicatetd novel. I believe Fitzgerald was attempting to encompass several sections of society. Why was he so vague? Remember, the novel was published in 1925, a time when people were jailed, beat up and killed for homosexuality.
(less)
Chrissa I don't think so. There is this scene in chapter 6, and they're in the hotel, (Gatsby, Daisy, Tom, Jordan and Nick) and Tom says "... and next they'll…moreI don't think so. There is this scene in chapter 6, and they're in the hotel, (Gatsby, Daisy, Tom, Jordan and Nick) and Tom says "... and next they'll throw everything overboard and have intermarriage between black and white."
Whereupon Jordan says: "We're all white here."(less)
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee1984 by George OrwellThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Best Books of the 20th Century
5th out of 6,152 books — 41,330 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeTwilight by Stephenie MeyerPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Best Books Ever
50th out of 37,733 books — 142,862 voters

More lists with this book...

filter: 1 star  |  sort: default (?)  |  rating details
svnh
After six years of these heated and polarized debates, I'm deleting the reviews that sparked them. Thanks for sharing your frustrations, joys, and insights with me, goodreaders. Happy reading!

In love and good faith, always,
Savannah
Pollopicu
This is my least-favorite classic of all time. Probably even my least favorite book, ever.
I didn't have the faintest iota of interest in neither era nor lifestyle of the people in this novela. So why did I read it to begin with? well, because I wanted to give it a chance. I've been surprised by many books, many a times. Thought this could open a new literary door for me.
Most of the novel was incomprehensibly lame. I was never fully introduced to the root of the affair that existed between Gatsb
Erin
I just don't get the hype on this one. Then again, I guess there's a reason why this book was unpopular and forgotten about for the first 20-30 years after it was first published. Personally, it makes no difference to me that this is supposed to be an "important" literary novel, as I like to make those conclusions for myself rather than going with the masses just because it's the masses. I found this book to be quite boring and rather depressing. Thankfully it was a short one day read. I am will ...more
Haleema
Why, oh, why is this deemed as a classic?

It's like I was watching a darn soap opera or a Hindi television love story. I swear I wanted to shoot my English teacher for forcing us to read this utter atrocity of a book. I don't want to go on and on about it. You might think I'm insane, (which I am, but I am in jolly mood right now).

In a nutshell: Very BAD BAD story, fantastically written, though. Very BAD BAD characters, fantastically portrayed,though. As if they are the jewels of Fitzgerald's lit
Rayroy
I just hated it, maybe one star is harsh being that I didn't read all of it and it's short and I tried, look F.Scott Fitzerald was a great writer but so was Sherwood Anderson and Knut Hamsun, look I'm not a fan of the so called Lost Generation of 1920's writers, look for me Great American Lit or what I like started with Saul Bellow , or after the crash or post Second World War. Maybe it's just me but I feel this is classic lit for people who read less the five books a year if they read one a yea ...more
Zeek
Halfway through and I don’t even care anymore. I’ll read the synopsis for the rest. If I want to read about shiftless rich people and their drunken machinations, I'll read the Hollywood Reporter or TMZ.

My thoughts?

Characters were less than engaging- I could give two cents for any of them. All right, maybe five cents for Nick Carraway, the narrator, but that's about it. Ultimately, depressing and boring.

DNF

Why this is still required reading, I simply can't fathom...
Dylan
This book is pointless. Nothing happens in the entire book, the characters just talk, drink, and cheat on each other. I would rather have gotten a root canal then read this book. (It was for class.) Anyway I recommend this book to no one!!!

Edit: Okay, I realize now that this was a really harsh review. I had to read it in high school and was very perturbed about it. I feel bad for ranting on it. I appreciate what this book is and it was very well written, it was just not my cup of tea.
Carolina
Un titulo alternativo podría ser pobre niños ricos y es que estos personajes tienen la inteligencia emocional de unos bebés y no puedo creer como la historia quería que simpatizara con unos tontos que arruinan la vida de todo el que se les cruza por enfrente y luego tienen el descaro de llorar porque su vida es "tan difícil".

Literalmente la historia trata sobre un par de estúpidos que nunca maduraron de la etapa de la adolescencia, todos y cada uno de ellos son despreciables, egocéntricos y sin
Olivia Jensen
I have read this at least three times. Once for pleasure and twice for school. All three times I hated it. The symbolism is too obvious and Daisy (isn't that her name) is over the top indulgent and snooty. None of the characters were likable and that ruined the book for me. Their privledged secret world was ridiculous and nothing in that book appealed to me. It is my number one most hated classic book!
Jim
High school 'must read' lists ruined a lot of good books for me. I didn't enjoy this book in high school, but after finding several other books which I later enjoyed, I tried this one again. I just don't like the way he writes. Puts me to sleep. I found nothing of interest in the book & couldn't finish it.
Brandon Hunter
Dear Potential Reader,
The Great Gatsby is an okay book about love, hate, friendship,betrayal, symbolism, murder, and money. The book starts off as the narrator, also known as Nick Carraway, moving to a town named West Egg. Nick Carraway is a 1915 Yale Graduate. When Nick moved to West Egg, he made a new friend, named Jay Gatsby. Jay Gatsby is a millionaire that likes to throw parties. He throws great parties every Saturday night that can last until 3 am.
Nick has a married cousin named Daisy. D
Christina
WARNING: THIS REVIEW HAS SPOILERS. IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW HOW THE BOOK ENDS, DO NOT READ THIS REVIEW. IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW GATSBY'S BIG SECRET, DO NOT READ THIS REVIEW.

But in all sincerity, it's underwhelming...

My New Year’s Resolution for 2013 was to read or revisit the Classics. In the case of those I am to revisit, I want to see if a difference in age changes my opinion of a book. The Great Gatsby is the first of 2013. I decided to make this review a little different and record my r
Jessica
I HATE THIS BOOK. I didn't like anything about this novel. The central point centered around a flighty, air headed dumb blonde, a man named Nick with the personality of a brown paper bag, and a man will ill-gotten gains whose vocabulary consisted of only two words: Daisy and Old Sport. I honestly don't care if Gatsby was chasing after the "American dream" and i could care less because i thought so little of the characters and what they were all doing besides drinking and cheating on each other. ...more
Joyzi
Nov 15, 2011 Joyzi rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Weirdos who love to read classics
Recommended to Joyzi by: Teacher in Lit
Oh Great Gatsby and your shenanigans. Pfffft.

I really don't understand why they think you're a great book maybe it just so happen that I'm not that really big on vocabulary and I'm a lousy, lousy reader who just don't have the patience to read you from cover to cover.

Sorry but my brain can't seem to handle you after the first two chapters.

DNF
Patrick
Oct 07, 2008 Patrick rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Patrick by: Chuck Palahniuk
Shelves: 2008
He should have called it "Desperate House-Husbands." What? This is a classic? Fuck Fitzgerald, fuck the roaring 20's, and FUCK YOU.
sologdin
waste of space rich loser chases women, has champagne cocktails, dies.
Rita Webb
Maybe I was just in a bad mood that week, but this book just left me depressed.
Julia Putnam
I don't understand. This is said to be F. Scott Fitzgerald's greatest work. It is also said that Mr. Fitzgerald is one of America's most important authors. If that is really true than I am sad for America.

I don't understand what is so wonderful about this book. I don't understand how people love it. It's an over-written essay about the rich jerk-offs of the past! All anyone does is drink, talk shit or cheat on each other! How is that important? Why is that considered classic?

I realize and comple
Gabby
For everyone who defines this book as "a great love story", I have to ask what kind of screwed up version of love have you got? For me, this novel had nothing whatsoever to do with love. What it does deal with is the notion that the rich can do whatever they like (in Fitzgerald's time) and suffer no repercussions. It's also testament to the fact that you cannot buy your way into elite, entitled circles no matter what form of ruse you use. For me, this novel was far too cynical, while also being ...more
Holly
Dec 21, 2014 Holly rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Holly by: Required for English
After hearing many good things about Gatsby, I was very excited about studying it in English. While I approached the book with an open mind, I was wary of how good it could be in the length it was, or how much the setting would suit my liking.

While I can't fault Fitgerald's writing, it was a very well written book. I couldn't write nearly anything as good, and in that sense, I enjoyed the book. However, I found it was lacking in several key points, which overall, made me come to dislike the book
Valentine
I disliked this book intensely. I was forced to read t for my grade 12 English class. Now, usually I love the books we do in English (Shakespeare, To Kill a Mockingbird, Of Mice and Men etc) but I truly despised this book. Considering it is a classic lauded for its symbolism and meaning, I found it quite shallow. I hated or disliked every character with the exception of Nick. However Nick was not really a distinct character, merely a narrator the reader projects onto. The plot was nothing specia ...more
Guy Terry
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG ...more
☼~Marian~☼
Why did I read this book? Its a classic. It is also included in 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. I heard a lot of ravings and I got curious.
It started slow. Eventually picked up its pace after meeting Gatsby. The novel is surprisingly ordinary for me. I guess I was expecting something more. I didn't like Nick Carraway's narration. It made things detached & lousy. Plus points for Daisy, the character I despised.
I was bored. I'm sorry. This is just not my cup of tea.
Jorgina
Jan 22, 2009 Jorgina rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
I felt I had stepped in something icky and the end of this book. So hyped up as a classic and yet so disappointing. Other than the author's few beautiful lines and how he keeps the story going this book is JUST a compilation of rich people with too much money , too much time and too little scruples.
Somebody tell me why, why, this book is recommended high school reading?
Monique
yep, I still don't care for it! I didn't like reading it ages ago for school and now that I don't have to finish it, I'm not going to LOL
Elinor  Loredan
Hate the setting, hate the narrative, hate the characters (except Gatsby himself). My mind is closed to it.
Kate
Might be the only person on the planet who really dislikes this one.
Steph
Let me preface my review by saying that filmmakers are VERY good at making trailers. Sometimes. I keep seeing the trailers for the upcoming film version of "Gatsby" starring Leonardo DiCaprio (whom I really enjoyed in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and "Catch Me If You Can") and it looks exciting and flashy and I began thinking I would like to see it. My son expressed an interest, too. I suggested we read the book beforehand so we can get a feeling for what to expect. I'm glad I did.

I did read t
Is Nick Carraway gay? 2156 6549 10 hours, 51 min ago
Is Daisy the true antagonist? 2 9 16 hours, 27 min ago
2015 Reading Chal...: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald 5 14 18 hours, 11 min ago
Young Adult Book ...: The Great Gatsby (May) 3 14 May 26, 2015 07:49PM
  • The Power and the Glory
  • Go Tell It on the Mountain
  • Othello
  • The Day of the Locust
  • The Magnificent Ambersons (The Growth Trilogy, #2)
  • Great Expectations
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...
Tender Is the Night This Side of Paradise The Curious Case of Benjamin Button The Beautiful and Damned The Short Stories

“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” 8094 likes
“I hope she'll be a fool -- that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.” 7564 likes