Start by marking “Jimmy Carter: A Comprehensive Biography from Plains to Post-Presidency” as Want to Read:
Jimmy Carter: A Comprehensive Biography from Plains to Post-Presidency

Jimmy Carter: A Comprehensive Biography from Plains to Post-Presidency

Jimmy Carter's friend and former White House associate reassesses this enigmatic and paradoxically private, public man, vilified and misunderstood as our 39th president, beloved and admired today as the Great Peacemaker and social activist. photos.
Published February 1st 1997 by Scribner Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Jimmy Carter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jimmy Carter

Jacki
Feb 28, 2014 Jacki rated it really liked it
Came in just under the wire for this one! Finished on the last day of February :)

I loved this except for the 70 dense pages on his campaign for presidency. That part was a yawn, but the author was personally involved so I felt like he was just pumped about it.

I kind of loved Jimmy Carter's love for all things human rights. He got into politics almost accidentally, just because it seemed like a way to help out and then just kept getting elected. The presidency maybe wasn't the greatest fit for
Brian Schwartz
Aug 15, 2013 Brian Schwartz rated it it was ok
Bourne’s biography is simply not a well conceived book. On the positive side, Bourne does describe and analyze in great detail Carter’s unshakable Christian faith and how that faith shaped his personal and political conduct. When it comes to being a Christian, Jimmy Carter is the real deal. I doubt any other president has been so dedicated to his faith.

Most interesting (and unknown to me until I read Bourne’s book) was Carter’s devotion to the teachings of theologian Reinhold Niebhur. Carter emb
Chi Pham
Jan 01, 2013 Chi Pham rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
I picked up the book when I saw its title for the first time. The title reminded me that I have absolutely no knowledge about Jimmy Carter. I knew he was an American president. But what did he do? I could conceal my ignorance behind the facade that I have no need to learn about American politics & history, but then this political regime wielded influence all over the world, and affected so many human lives.

So in the end, what did this book teach me? I repeat, I still have no interest in Jim
Tim Basuino
Jun 20, 2014 Tim Basuino rated it really liked it
Bourne presents a much more in-depth look at Carter than I'm used to seeing/hearing. It turns out Jimmy was an outsider who managed his way to the nation's top honor, which is for some reason lost on those who take Fox News seriously. This bio also underscores what I've thought all along - like it or not, Americans need "real politicians" in Washington, and anybody who runs for office with their main qualification being a non-politician are best ignored.
John
Jul 05, 2013 John rated it liked it
Very insightful regarding his presidency and the major politically and world news events occurring in the late 70's.
Sotaing
Good Heart President! But DID nothing!
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Karthik
Karthik marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Kyle Monsees
Kyle Monsees marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Tree
Tree rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Kayla
Kayla added it
Aug 01, 2016
Juan Maldonado
Juan Maldonado marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Harriet
Harriet is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2016
Gregg Miller
Gregg Miller rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Myles
Myles marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Luke
Luke marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Comte De saint-germain
Comte De saint-germain is currently reading it
Feb 16, 2016
Brian Sauer
Brian Sauer rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Colin
Colin rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Zachary Anderson
Zachary Anderson marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Eric Schlehlein
Eric Schlehlein rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Liliana
Liliana rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Brandi
Brandi marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Ethan Brouder
Ethan Brouder rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
April Hawkins
April Hawkins marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Sam Brennan
Sam Brennan marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015