Start by marking “Crossing the Next Meridian: Land, Water, and the Future of the West” as Want to Read:
Crossing the Next Meridian: Land, Water, and the Future of the West

Crossing the Next Meridian: Land, Water, and the Future of the West

In Crossing the Next Meridian, Charles F. Wilkinson, an expert on federal public lands, Native American issues, and the West's arcane water laws explains some of the core problems facing the American West now and in the years to come. He examines the outmoded ideas that pervade land use and resource allocation and argues that significant reform of Western law is needed to ...more
Published June 1st 1993 by Island Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Crossing the Next Meridian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crossing the Next Meridian

Debocracy
Jun 27, 2008 Debocracy rated it it was amazing
Charles Wilkinson is a professor of Law at the University of Colorado. I got this book from the clearance table at my law school. How shameful! Every law student should read this book.

Professor Wilkinson, a splendid writer, tells the story of how the laws governing land and water use in the West have given rise to poor policies and poor outcomes for the health and survival of the region.

After reading it, I felt that I had a beginner's grasp of the problems created by current laws. I also felt
Les Aucoin
May 28, 2012 Les Aucoin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book, written by an acquaintance of mine, stands as one of the two iconic works that examine the nexus of politics and the natural environment. Anyone who cares about the landscape of the west and its flora and fauna should have it in their library. The other indispensable work is Roderick Nash's WILDERNESS AND THE AMERICAN MIND, which traces the roots of our "Manifest Destiny" to subjugate the land.
Mark
Jan 29, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
Would love to see an update to this book someday, too much of these stories still hold sway, many of the laws that have been mentioned that have affected the West are still in power; but many other things have changed in the last 20 years and I would like to see this kind of overview on all of those changes.
Jessica
Oct 27, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is a great introduction to a variety of natural resources in the west, and why we are where we are in that regard. Unfortunately, as someone who has been studying the field, I didn't learn anything new. I would recommend for someone who is interested but a little less familiar.
Lindsay
Jan 28, 2010 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: mpa
Wow. I didn't expect to enjoy this material as much as I did. Even after I finished what was assigned, I kept reading on in disbelief at the antiquated, unfair resource use and extraction laws that still govern western land management.
Amber
Feb 11, 2014 Amber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: phd-program, re-read
This is such an excellent introduction to the issues faced in the West, particularly in regards to public resources. It's over twenty years old but is still incredibly relevant.
Ariel
Aug 10, 2011 Ariel rated it liked it
Although I was forced to read this for a class, I found it an interesting examination of how the legal and governmental framework surrounding environmental issues in the west formed.
Jill
Jul 08, 2008 Jill rated it liked it
Ok, I read it for class, but still found it interesting. I am officially a Charles groupie at this point. I go up to his office and try to run into him "by accident."
Marissa
Oct 24, 2007 Marissa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: west coasters
and amazing overview of the issues the western US faces. great reference.
Eric
Feb 01, 2008 Eric rated it it was amazing
very good environmental book
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Chelsea Gilbertson
Chelsea Gilbertson marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah is currently reading it
May 08, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Shalyn Hockey
Shalyn Hockey rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2016
Mycelial_matt
Mycelial_matt rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Teo Price-Broncucia
Teo Price-Broncucia rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Erin Kuttel
Erin Kuttel rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Lola
Lola rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Jermi Haning
Jermi Haning marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Gene Angel
Gene Angel rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2015
Phylicia Chandler
Phylicia Chandler marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Kyle Jordan
Kyle Jordan rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Joanna Jiang
Joanna Jiang rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2015