Start by marking “How Good People Make Tough Choices” as Want to Read:
How Good People Make Tough Choices

How Good People Make Tough Choices

How Good People Make Tough Choices offers the practical tools for careful deliberation of the ethical predicaments of daily living. It is a book for those who want to address and resolve tough choices through energetic self-reflection.
Published December 16th 2003 by ReganBooks (first published January 24th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about How Good People Make Tough Choices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Good People Make Tough Choices

Sarazen
Jul 20, 2011 Sarazen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Despite the self-help sort of title, this book is better described as a basic book on ethics. It is an easy read and uses real life examples to illustrate the ideas being presented. While not the be all and end all on the subject, it does open the door to deeper thought about how our everyday choices shape not only who we are, but also who we will become. A woefully understudied subject, this book is a great starting point for more ethically driven thinking and living.
Arieh Benjamin Sochaczevski
While some of the methods of decisionmaking discussed here are valid, the whole work is simplistic at best. At no point does the author examin basic assumptions or question the core values of his ethical system; a system that is based on nothing but his own perception of the concensus of his peers.
Ryan
Dec 08, 2011 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was assigned reading for one of my graduate classes. As my introduction to a formal ethics education, this book did it's job. When you have to read something for a class, you just hope you don't want to gouge your eyes out with rusty spoons by the time it's over. There were moments in this book I considered looking for silverware; but again, this book was simply another requirement on an already busy life. The deck was stacked against my enjoyment of it from the beginning.

As far as the
Jana
Jun 05, 2008 Jana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who faces tough "right vs. right" decisions
Shelves: nonfiction, ethics
What do we do when two choices are both right, and consistent with our values, but we can choose only one? How can you decice between justice or mercy? Or the rights of the individual versus the good of the community? Or what if I need to choose between short-term or long-term consequences? Or truth and loyalty? Both are the "right" choice, and both are consistent with my values. So how do I decide?

This is a quick, straighforward, easy to remember, and easy to understand framework for ethical d
Keith Jennings
Apr 27, 2010 Keith Jennings rated it it was amazing
I strongly recommend everyone read this book. Did you know that you are struggling against opposing rights in many decisions you make?

The four main dilemmas addressed in the book:
1. individual vs. community
2. short term vs. long term
3. trust vs. loyalty
4. truth vs. justice

Kidder teaches you how to prepare yourself for dilemmas you will face that will challenge your ethics and values to their core.
Darko Dimeski
May 15, 2014 Darko Dimeski rated it really liked it
I will always remember this excerpt which tells a lot:

"The real greatness of a nation, its true civilization is measured by the extent of the land of obedience to the unenforceable. It measures the extent to which the nation trusts its citizens, and its existence and area testify to the way they behave in response to that trust.
Mere obedience to law does not measure the greatness of a nation.
[Such obedience] can easily be obtained by a strong executive, and most easily of all from a timorous pe
Mike McKay
I first had the opportunity to hear Rush Kidder in 2003 and have been fascinated by his work and his thinking since then. My first connection with his writing was the Good People/Tough Choices title and it completely pulled me into the world of core values, ethical dilemmas and decision-making principles that are foundational to the global ethics movement. Knowing that humans are hard-wired to seek the five core values (compassion, fairness, honesty, responsibility and respect), should cause edu ...more
Mary Ella
May 28, 2016 Mary Ella rated it it was amazing
Great book outlining how to best make ethical decisions. Learned a lot and discussed it over two months in my professional book club, Prose for Pros. Excellent read!
CR DE
Oct 14, 2014 CR DE rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favor leadership books.
Daniel Currie
Jan 18, 2011 Daniel Currie rated it liked it
Recommended to Daniel by: Peg Taft
This isn't so much a book about how you should resolve dilemmas in your life as a collection of different approaches others use. There are many ways, not surprisingly.

I found this a bit hard to boil down into something useful on a day to day basis. There are so many lists of things different people use it would be impossible to remember them all when you really need it. Maybe refer to it when something comes up you can sit and think about.

The answer is probably in there. Getting it out could pr
Laura Fultz
Feb 19, 2015 Laura Fultz rated it really liked it
I thought it was a pretty interesting read. I read it for my Information Ethics graduate class. It was easy to read, and the examples and case studies were applicable. It could be handy to refer back to and visit in the future.
Patricia
Nov 01, 2013 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: educational
I loved this book. The stories used to illustrate situations requiring tough choices were very interesting and caused me to think a lot about myself, my beliefs, and the world I live in.
I like having the information presented in this book, and when faced with my next ethical dilemma, I'm sure I'll think about what I read. Will it help me make a decision? I don't know, but at least I'll be able to say I thought about it thoroughly before acting.
Cindy
Apr 23, 2011 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a tough read, and one of the best books I've read in a long time.

The examples given really drive home the points the author is trying to make. And in some cases the examples are stunning examples of the poor choices and rediculous motivations for those decisions.

A book I would recommend to anyone who is in a position of decision making power.
Brian
May 13, 2012 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this for an ethics class as part of the IU MBA program. Although it did show different viewpoints on how to approach ethics from a perspective other than the American Christian mindset, it was quite wordy. The book could have been written in 1/2 the pages.
Anson
Apr 23, 2012 Anson rated it it was amazing
Based on western thinking. A book recommended to me. It was an awesome read. I beleive a practice of deep thinking on moral dilemmas help me make better moral choices. It is a road to a virtuaous gentleman scholar (君子) and public service - the highest acheivement of Confucious.
Maryjo Radosevich
Aug 15, 2013 Maryjo Radosevich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have used writings of Kidder for a senior capstone course and students have always found his ethical dilemma examples thought provoking. This book offers plenty more scenarios for reflection and ethical discussion.
Nancy Graham
Feb 15, 2010 Nancy Graham rated it it was amazing
Great examination of the murky line of ethics -- pitting truth vs. loyalty, the need of the one vs. the needs of the many, justice vs. mercy. Thought provoking.
Jessica
Feb 19, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-books
This overall is a good book to talk about ethical theory. Kidder can be a bit dramatic in some situations however he uses many recent and real situations.
Priscilla Eldredge
Good book

This book was very useful for my ethics class! I would Definitely recommend this book to others! Was a great book
Tim Z
Jun 23, 2012 Tim Z rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat predictable book, but some good thinking points. Would be a great reference books for ethics/integrity training.
Dena Rosko
Mar 28, 2013 Dena Rosko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I appreciated the emphasis on in-roading through ethical dilemmas instead of relegating them to polar opposites.
Kevin Altman
Meh......I've read better. Kidder is full of himself and doesn't provide enough practical real-world scenarios.
ABC
Jul 17, 2008 ABC rated it it was amazing
Excellent overview of every-day ethics. Easy to read. Lots of good examples and case studies.
Jul 26, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Robust overview of many right v right decisions we are faced with on a daily basis
jody
May 02, 2009 jody rated it liked it
I had to read this for my Ethics class. I would have much preferred this to our textbook!
Sharon Campbell
May 05, 2012 Sharon Campbell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ethics can be a difficult topic. The author makes it accessible and practical.
Robyn Brown
Jul 09, 2011 Robyn Brown rated it really liked it
It's always helpful to get someone elses take on things~
Heather
Jul 12, 2012 Heather marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Talked about in a class I TA for. Sounds very intersting.
Kate Zirkle
Mar 09, 2008 Kate Zirkle rated it did not like it
Lame ethics book I had to read in college.
Aimée
Dec 19, 2013 Aimée rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For my journalism ethics class.
ethical dilemma 1 5 May 16, 2010 03:25PM
  • Legacy of the Heart: The Spiritual Advantage of a  Painful Childhood
  • Student Development in College: Theory, Research, and Practice
  • What Type Am I?: The Myers-Brigg Type Indication Made Easy
  • Exiting Nirvana: A Daughter's Life with Autism
  • The Reason Driven Life: What Am I Here on Earth For?
  • Basics of Biblical Hebrew Workbook
  • The Deeper Journey: The Spirituality of Discovering Your True Self
  • Journey of the Jihadist: Inside Muslim Militancy
  • Culturally Responsive Teaching: Theory, Research, and Practice
  • Medieval Cuisine of the Islamic World: A Concise History with 174 Recipes (California Studies in Food and Culture, 18)
  • A Passion for Excellence: The Leadership Difference
  • The Feiner Points of Leadership: The 50 Basic Laws That Will Make People Want to Perform Better for You
  • High-Tech Heretic: Reflections of a Computer Contrarian