Miss Marple and Mystery: Over 50 Stories

Miss Marple and Mystery: Over 50 Stories (Miss Marple mix 55)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  14 reviews
All 20 elderly Miss Jane Marple short stories plus 35 other mysteries, supernatural, and horror.
1 The Actress
14 Fourth Man
15 House of Dreams
16...more
Published September 15th 2008 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Miss Marple and Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Marple and Mystery

Adrian
This was a nice compendium of stories from the queen of mystery stories. The selection was varied, if a bit repetitive - by the end I could actually describe the pattern most stories would take.
There was also an unfortunate smattering of ghost/paranormal stories throughout. I found myself trudging through those - not enough substance and/or really crackpot plot.
It's difficult to highlight one particular story as a favourite, especially as the selection is quite large and the details in my mind t...more
D.S. Nelson
Christie perfection in tiny bite size chunks!
Tombom P
Consistently entertaining. I'd have rated it 4 but there are some in here which are absolutely piss poor, although I didn't mind much because her style makes them easy reading at least. Christie has a great style and they're very easy to read and just keep reading. The attempted horror stories are worse but still not awful - I enjoyed them at least - although the stars of the show are the Miss Marple ones. Other ones are much more forgettable. The short format has the advantage of the mystery an...more
Lesley
I haven't read all of this: Dame A wrote a helluva lot of short stories and some of them are egregious hackwork. Not to mention, doing rather poorly by contract when thrown into the mix with a few handfuls of stories featuring Miss Marple. Plus, quite a few of them employ supernatural phenomena, which is almost jarring when ghosts, gypsy curses, creeping sense of eeevil etc are always given a rational explanation in the Marple stories.

I guess I may possibly dip in again, but these are not, on th...more
Dryopteris
I was quite a bit surprised at the range of topics tackled by these short stories. If you think Agatha Christie is only about Poirot and Marple, you'll be pleasantly surprised by some very nice supernatural-themed stories with a twist at the end (think "Twilight Zone" and "Outer Limits"). But also the lack of supernatural element (which is quite abundant, though -- was that just Christie's keen interest in it or was it perhaps a "fashion" of Christie's time? I'm not sure, maybe both) leaves you...more
Naomi Barton
The frustrating thing about Christie is that when she's good, she's very, very good, and when she's bad, she's horrid. The Marples are consistently entertaining and there are a couple of gems in here, but I got heartily sick of half the stories ending, "and then two good-looking rich people who'd barely met realised they were madly in love for no real reason and got married." Ugh!
Lovely collection of short stories by Agatha Christies. Even though I already knew most of them, I could still appreciate the ingenuity of them. I especially love the set of stories from 'the tuesday night club', so much fun!

The only part I didn't like was the small collection (about 5 or 6 stories) concerning the supernatural. I prefer the classic mystery stories.
Tanya
Oct 20, 2013 Tanya marked it as partially-read
Shelves: owned-to-read
I will be chipping away at this in small doses as I come to Agatha's short story collections whilst reading through her works chronologically.

Short Story Collections Read:

- The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple). 13 Stories. Read 22/04/13-25/04/13
- The Hound of Death. 12 Stories. Read 10/07/13-16/07/13
- The Listerdale Mystery. 13 Stories. Read 12/10/13-20/10/13)
Emily Davies
Overall, a very good collection! A few of the stories fell flat--maybe 5 out of the 55. Still, I'm glad I bought this and I will probably go back and re-read it from time to time, especially the excellent Miss Marple stories.
Jennifer Rogers
Really enjoyed these short stories
jbn
a good collection of short stories and a bunch of them involving Miss Marple. If you are a fan of Agatha Christie, definitely would enjoy many of the stories.
N.u.m.b S.S
Aug 26, 2011 N.u.m.b S.S marked it as to-read
راح تكون تجربتي الاولى لقراءة روايات اجاثا كريستي بالانجليزية
Jakethackeray
Just read the Miss Marple stories (20) which were great
Lin
Agatha Christie remains the queen of crime !!!
Debashis
Debashis marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Mukesh
Mukesh is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Andréa
Andréa marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Eryk
Eryk marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Sherri
Sherri marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Francis Lowe
Francis Lowe marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Emma Smith
Emma Smith is currently reading it
Aug 07, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Devang Vira
Devang Vira marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Verity Elizabeth
Verity Elizabeth is currently reading it
Aug 05, 2014
Dustin
Dustin marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880...more
More about Agatha Christie...
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)