Start by marking “Miss Marple and Mystery: Over 50 Stories (Masterpieces in Miniature)” as Want to Read:
Miss Marple and Mystery: Over 50 Stories (Masterpieces in Miniature)

Miss Marple and Mystery: Over 50 Stories (Miss Marple mix 55)

All 20 elderly Miss Jane Marple short stories plus 35 other mysteries, supernatural, and horror.
1 The Actress
13 Listerdale
14 Fourth Man
15 House of Dreams
Published September 15th 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Miss Marple and Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Marple and Mystery

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Don't be fooled by the title; the stories in this collection are not strictly "Miss Marple" stories. Spanning four decades, it's more what I would call a mixture of "puzzle" stories, many of which do not include your actual murder. Christie shows her skills as an author as she runs the gamut from murder mystery to revenge to light comico-romantic puzzle to some rather dark snippets I might have expected to see dramatised on the original "Twilight Zone." (Particularly the last story in the book, ...more
Tanya (aka ListObsessedReader)
Jan 21, 2011 Tanya (aka ListObsessedReader) marked it as partially-read
Shelves: owned-to-read
I will be chipping away at this in small doses as I come to Agatha's short story collections whilst reading through her works chronologically.

Short Story Collections Read:

- The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple). 13 Stories. Read 22/04/13-25/04/13
- The Hound of Death. 12 Stories. Read 10/07/13-16/07/13
- The Listerdale Mystery. 13 Stories. Read 12/10/13-20/10/13
- The Regatta Mystery (Mixed). 2 Stories (Further stories also contained within Detectives and Young Adventurers & Hercule Poirot) Read
Andréa
As other reviewers have pointed out, this collection is not just Miss Marple stories. I'm fine with that, except that Miss Marple doesn't enter the collection at all until about halfway in... The book should really just be titled something like Agatha Christie Short Stories, because using Marple's name in the title when she's only present in less than half the stories, in the later half of the book, is rather deceptive.

The stories are good, of course -- they're Christie, and it's interesting to
Damaskcat
Nov 18, 2014 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing
This is a marvellous collection of short stories, about twenty of which feature Miss Marple. The rest are a varied selection of mystery and supernatural stories with the odd romantic interlude as well. If you are expecting them all to feature Miss Marple then you will be disappointed. But all these stories are worthwhile reading in my opinion as they show just how good Agatha Christie was at writing short stories.

Some of the supernatural stories are really chilling and leave you looking over yo
Adrian
Jan 02, 2009 Adrian rated it really liked it
Shelves: whodunit
This was a nice compendium of stories from the queen of mystery stories. The selection was varied, if a bit repetitive - by the end I could actually describe the pattern most stories would take.
There was also an unfortunate smattering of ghost/paranormal stories throughout. I found myself trudging through those - not enough substance and/or really crackpot plot.
It's difficult to highlight one particular story as a favourite, especially as the selection is quite large and the details in my mind t
Lin
Jul 01, 2013 Lin rated it it was amazing
Agatha Christie remains the queen of crime !!!
D.S. Nelson
Jan 28, 2012 D.S. Nelson rated it it was amazing
Christie perfection in tiny bite size chunks!
tom bomp
Consistently entertaining. I'd have rated it 4 but there are some in here which are absolutely piss poor, although I didn't mind much because her style makes them easy reading at least. Christie has a great style and they're very easy to read and just keep reading. The attempted horror stories are worse but still not awful - I enjoyed them at least - although the stars of the show are the Miss Marple ones. Other ones are much more forgettable. The short format has the advantage of the mystery an ...more
Dryopteris
Apr 04, 2010 Dryopteris rated it it was amazing
I was quite a bit surprised at the range of topics tackled by these short stories. If you think Agatha Christie is only about Poirot and Marple, you'll be pleasantly surprised by some very nice supernatural-themed stories with a twist at the end (think "Twilight Zone" and "Outer Limits"). But also the lack of supernatural element (which is quite abundant, though -- was that just Christie's keen interest in it or was it perhaps a "fashion" of Christie's time? I'm not sure, maybe both) leaves you ...more
Lesley
Jul 22, 2013 Lesley rated it liked it
I haven't read all of this: Dame A wrote a helluva lot of short stories and some of them are egregious hackwork. Not to mention, doing rather poorly by contract when thrown into the mix with a few handfuls of stories featuring Miss Marple. Plus, quite a few of them employ supernatural phenomena, which is almost jarring when ghosts, gypsy curses, creeping sense of eeevil etc are always given a rational explanation in the Marple stories.

I guess I may possibly dip in again, but these are not, on th
Melissa
May 25, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
Murder in more or less gruesome and inventive ways, and crime in general, I was expecting. Very creepy ghost stories I was not! Most were really good actually, once I got over the surprise...
There were a couple of stories I didn't think much of - Manx Gold especially springs to mind as pretty pointless unless you uwere actually on the Isle of Man or something - but on the whole I really enjoyed most of them.
Ágota
Jan 22, 2016 Ágota rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
While it should be called Mystery in large font and Miss Marple in smaller font as less than half of the stories is Miss Marple, that is not Agatha Christie's fault. There are a lot of supernatural stories in it, which I didn't know about before, and I guess it reminds me a bit of her books as Mary Westmacott, and they are amazing, and an awesome exploration of human condition. They remind me of some modern fantasy writings, it is great
Naomi
Oct 30, 2013 Naomi rated it liked it
The frustrating thing about Christie is that when she's good, she's very, very good, and when she's bad, she's horrid. The Marples are consistently entertaining and there are a couple of gems in here, but I got heartily sick of half the stories ending, "and then two good-looking rich people who'd barely met realised they were madly in love for no real reason and got married." Ugh!
Jan 03, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Lovely collection of short stories by Agatha Christies. Even though I already knew most of them, I could still appreciate the ingenuity of them. I especially love the set of stories from 'the tuesday night club', so much fun!

The only part I didn't like was the small collection (about 5 or 6 stories) concerning the supernatural. I prefer the classic mystery stories.
Emily Davies
Sep 30, 2013 Emily Davies rated it it was amazing
Overall, a very good collection! A few of the stories fell flat--maybe 5 out of the 55. Still, I'm glad I bought this and I will probably go back and re-read it from time to time, especially the excellent Miss Marple stories.
Jagadish Pai
Mar 02, 2016 Jagadish Pai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly Enjoyable

Short stories are very interesting. Each story has unique plot and unusual ending. Author has excelled in compiling this collection of stories by Ms Marple and others making it very enjoyable.
Ivana
Jul 06, 2016 Ivana rated it really liked it
Absolutely amazing!!! Some were better than others of course but 95% of the book was so witty and suspenseful! Love the alternating between gothic/supernatural facade and just simple cleverness!! Agatha Christie is just one of a kind - I strongly recommend this book!
Kotai Gyuri
Jul 27, 2016 Kotai Gyuri rated it liked it
Ebook
Impuscaturi la Stonygates
Bagavathi
Aug 17, 2013 Bagavathi rated it really liked it
a good collection of short stories and a bunch of them involving Miss Marple. If you are a fan of Agatha Christie, definitely would enjoy many of the stories.
Hamad
Jan 19, 2017 Hamad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EPIC JUST EPIC
Jared
Jun 13, 2016 Jared rated it it was amazing
Most of the stories are very good, and it's incredible she thought of all those twists at the time.
Jeroen
Nov 18, 2015 Jeroen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable book. The character of Miss Marple lends herself well to short stories, and the non Marple stories are quite good too. Most with an inventive ending or a twist.
Priya
Apr 28, 2015 Priya rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Too hard to keep down. Disturbing at some times, fantastic at all times!
Sam Tas
Oct 09, 2016 Sam Tas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-reads
The things we call supernatural is only the natural of which the laws are not yet understood.-The Hound of Death
Laurence Brown
Laurence Brown rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2017
David
David rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2014
Mike Doyle
Mike Doyle rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2016
ElizaWard
ElizaWard rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
D. Lynn
D. Lynn rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Kathrin
Kathrin rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Empyreal Fate
  • The Prophecy (The Fulfillment Series #1)
  • Dark Waltz (Praestani, #1)
  • The Mysterious Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Free Lunch
  • Morningstar (Morningstar, #1)
  • Oxford Blood (Jemima Shore, #5)
  • The Emerald City (Osland Trilogy, #1)
  • Between the Thames and the Tiber: The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes in Britain and the Italian Peninsula
  • Ray Bradbury Stories Volume 1: v. 1
  • Beatrix Potter The Complete Tales (Peter Rabbit): 22 other books, over 650 Illustrations, and the Audiobook of the Great Big Treasury of Beatrix Potter
  • Dance with the Devil (Dance with the Devil, #1)
  • The Penguin Book of Victorian Women in Crime: Forgotten Cops and Private Eyes from the Time of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Mammoth Book of Locked Room Mysteries and Impossible Crimes (Mammoth)
  • Jane and the Wandering Eye (Jane Austen Mysteries, #3)
  • Murder at the Manor: Country House Mysteries
  • Raiders of the Dry Coast
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Web Weaver

More about Agatha Christie...

Miss Marple (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1)
  • The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple, #2)
  • The Body in the Library (Miss Marple, #3)
  • The Moving Finger (Miss Marple, #4)
  • A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple, #5)
  • They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple, #6)
  • A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple, #7)
  • 4:50 from Paddington (Miss Marple, #8)
  • The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (Miss Marple, #9)
  • A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple, #10)

“played village bridge. A humdrum, everyday” 0 likes