Start by marking “Law of Gravity” as Want to Read:
Law of Gravity

Law of Gravity

From the author of the New York Times bestseller In Her Defense comes a riveting new thriller of betrayal and redemption in the nation's capital.

Philip Barkley had come far enough in Washington to know where those proverbial bodies were buried, but not so far that he'd lie about it. In the capital, that was no-man's-land, and his fall from grace was swift.

When personal tra
Published July 9th 2002 by Harper (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Law of Gravity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Law of Gravity

Jun 19, 2008 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
This was a pretty good mystery, and near the end there was some really good action. Characterization was better than most as the lawyer chosen to help whitewash the investigation into the disappearance of a congressional aide double-crosses the justice department so he can continue his investigation.

There was this really cool concept-- the reason that this lawyer was chosen for this was because he had experienced a nervous breakdown following the death of his daughter.

The Law of Gravity line is
Jun 21, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing
A taut, political thriller that kept the reader fully engaged in the story. Normally this reader would not rate a story with plot twists that were blatantly obvious and one major detour that seemed pretty contrived five stars, but on the whole this was a book that begged the reader to keep on reading, just one more chapter. The main character, Philip Barkley, is a damaged soul, who lost his child, his wife, and his ambition, basically in that order and is one short step way from losing his job a ...more
May 04, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Must Read! Loved this book. Thank you Bev Wowak (our Readers Advisor) for yet another read that challenges the reader and creates questions while answering others. Cannot put this book down. Stephen Horn has now made it to my top 5 authors to always read.
Oct 06, 2016 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I read this book earlier this year but didn't write a review at that time. I picked it up again, read some familiar passages and the last 1/3rd of the book.
Philip Barkley is barely hanging on to his job after a series of family tragedies. Precipitated by his testimony on Capitol Hill. Philip is known as a man who puts ahead of politics and self- interest. Now he is beaten down and wants out.
His boss at the Justice Dept wants Barkey to head an investigation into the disappearance of a key senate
Donna Hulsey
Aug 29, 2016 Donna Hulsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story about politics, espionage, and other mysteries. A lawyer, once on the fast track to political fame, loses his young daughter and sends his life into a tailspin. Eventually losing his wife to divorce and his career to a scandal, he first gets drawn into what ends up being a 50 year old murder. Enjoyed the writing, and the twists and turns of the story. Great ending.
Jenna Allen
I read so many bad reviews on this about people not being able to finish it. That it was so slow and boring that they had to put it down. Well, I felt that way too.. at first. At the beginning, I thought "this whole book can not be entirely about trying to find this missing guy." But it changed it got good. Once I was over that slow hump I couldnt stop reading it. This book was a true government conspiracy book. I found myself thinking that someone was staking me out. Like someone could come thr ...more
Jan 18, 2013 Hasan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Law of Gravity is a “political thriller” with an interesting cast of characters usually not thrown together to solve a mystery. The main character, Philip Barkley, is an aging out of favor Government attorney who is hunting for clues in the death of and aide Martin Green. Eventually he is joined in this by a retired NYC police man and a sexy up and coming FBI agent. The twists and turns of the story and the characters are very good, but the solution to the case was obvious to me at least 20 chap ...more
Apr 03, 2014 Sheelah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It kept me interested and I was interested in the Characters. Philip may have been a little naive in trusting Susan. But I enjoyed the book and read it mostly in one day. I will read his first book very soon.
Mar 06, 2014 Deby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another well-written book by this author. Several different sub-plots going on at the same time involving the Justice Department, FBI and private investigators. Thoroughly enjoyed reading as it covered several generations of people in different countries.
Sep 25, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect beach read
Dec 17, 2011 Jody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
It started out kind of slow but before you knew it Horn dug his hooks in you and wouldn't let you go. This was a very good read and not as predictable as you would think. You have all planned out and maybe even are rooting for some characters and then the plot twists and you find yourself rooting against the very one or two you may have been pulling for. This was the first book I have read by this author and would be happy to read more in the future.
Just another one of those trashy things, which I read to kill time at the hospital.
This book is just another one of those standard cop things where there's a guy and a girl and they uncover a conspiracy and the guy gets absolution for something or other. And also he gets the girl.
So it wasn't special in any way, but it was alright when I had time to kill sitting in the hospital bed.
Nov 14, 2009 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book has an interesting hero, philip barkley, once married to the wife of a presidential hopeful, who pair first with a good looking fbi agent, and later with a retired cop, mcsorley, to track down the answers to why people keep getting killed, before he does. there's a little holocaust history included. it moves along well.
May 26, 2010 Chuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A down and nearly out Justice Department lawyer is assigned to join with an FBI agent to investigate the disappearance of an aide to the Chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee. Was this aide a spy?
Jan 05, 2013 Gail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of twists and turns in this mystery based in D.C. A government lawyer becomes caught up in a fascinating case dating to the 1950's and involving holocaust victims. Great characters and fast moving.
Nov 15, 2015 J rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww-ii-angle
BEWARE: One man's bookflap summary may be another man's spoiler.

The law of gravity seems to be that one's war-time acts will will come home to haunt one, if the acts are egregious enough.
Jan 05, 2013 Erna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Yes it is more about political corruption but the protagonist is a likable character and remains ethical throughout the book.
Jul 14, 2008 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amanda by: Work
Shelves: fiction
Liked this one better than In Her Defense. The story was 100 times better and the characters were much more interesting. :)
Sep 16, 2013 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
A particularly good detective who-done-it set in Washington DC and populated with great characters.
Sep 01, 2013 Laural rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This would make a great Netflix series. Someone should really buy the rights -!
Read it awhile ago. OK Thriller
Gini Weisz
Gini Weisz rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Dena added it
Sep 20, 2016
Bob rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
Jessica Rhea
Jessica Rhea marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Red Hot Fix (Mort Grant, #2)
  • Prince Ombra
  • Innocent Victims: Two Novellas
  • Boy's Life / Gone South
  • Above the Law
  • Republocrat, Confessions of a Liberal Conservative
  • Dakota (Andi Oliver, #2)
  • The Weatherman
  • Free Fall (Mark Beamon, #3)
  • Millroy the Magician
  • Tabloid City
  • Hot Plastic
  • Evening News
  • Mr. Lucky (Tony Valentine #5)
  • The Promised World
  • Spyder Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #1)
  • Sunburn
  • Death Row (Ben Kincaid, #12)