Start by marking “Law of Gravity” as Want to Read:
Law of Gravity

Law of Gravity

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  17 reviews
From the author of the New York Times bestseller In Her Defense comes a riveting new thriller of betrayal and redemption in the nation's capital.

Philip Barkley had come far enough in Washington to know where those proverbial bodies were buried, but not so far that he'd lie about it. In the capital, that was no-man's-land, and his fall from grace was swift.

When personal tra
Published July 9th 2002 by Harper (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Law of Gravity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Law of Gravity

David
This was a pretty good mystery, and near the end there was some really good action. Characterization was better than most as the lawyer chosen to help whitewash the investigation into the disappearance of a congressional aide double-crosses the justice department so he can continue his investigation.

There was this really cool concept-- the reason that this lawyer was chosen for this was because he had experienced a nervous breakdown following the death of his daughter.

The Law of Gravity line is
Mark
A taut, political thriller that kept the reader fully engaged in the story. Normally this reader would not rate a story with plot twists that were blatantly obvious and one major detour that seemed pretty contrived five stars, but on the whole this was a book that begged the reader to keep on reading, just one more chapter. The main character, Philip Barkley, is a damaged soul, who lost his child, his wife, and his ambition, basically in that order and is one short step way from losing his job a ...more
Jenna Watt
I read so many bad reviews on this about people not being able to finish it. That it was so slow and boring that they had to put it down. Well, I felt that way too.. at first. At the beginning, I thought "this whole book can not be entirely about trying to find this missing guy." But it changed it got good. Once I was over that slow hump I couldnt stop reading it. This book was a true government conspiracy book. I found myself thinking that someone was staking me out. Like someone could come thr ...more
Karen
A Must Read! Loved this book. Thank you Bev Wowak (our Readers Advisor) for yet another read that challenges the reader and creates questions while answering others. Cannot put this book down. Stephen Horn has now made it to my top 5 authors to always read.
Hasan
Law of Gravity is a “political thriller” with an interesting cast of characters usually not thrown together to solve a mystery. The main character, Philip Barkley, is an aging out of favor Government attorney who is hunting for clues in the death of and aide Martin Green. Eventually he is joined in this by a retired NYC police man and a sexy up and coming FBI agent. The twists and turns of the story and the characters are very good, but the solution to the case was obvious to me at least 20 chap ...more
Sheelah
I liked this book. It kept me interested and I was interested in the Characters. Philip may have been a little naive in trusting Susan. But I enjoyed the book and read it mostly in one day. I will read his first book very soon.
Deby
Another well-written book by this author. Several different sub-plots going on at the same time involving the Justice Department, FBI and private investigators. Thoroughly enjoyed reading as it covered several generations of people in different countries.
Jody
It started out kind of slow but before you knew it Horn dug his hooks in you and wouldn't let you go. This was a very good read and not as predictable as you would think. You have all planned out and maybe even are rooting for some characters and then the plot twists and you find yourself rooting against the very one or two you may have been pulling for. This was the first book I have read by this author and would be happy to read more in the future.
Hyacinthe
Just another one of those trashy things, which I read to kill time at the hospital.
This book is just another one of those standard cop things where there's a guy and a girl and they uncover a conspiracy and the guy gets absolution for something or other. And also he gets the girl.
So it wasn't special in any way, but it was alright when I had time to kill sitting in the hospital bed.
Marti
this book has an interesting hero, philip barkley, once married to the wife of a presidential hopeful, who pair first with a good looking fbi agent, and later with a retired cop, mcsorley, to track down the answers to why people keep getting killed, before he does. there's a little holocaust history included. it moves along well.
Chuck
A down and nearly out Justice Department lawyer is assigned to join with an FBI agent to investigate the disappearance of an aide to the Chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee. Was this aide a spy?
Gail
Lots of twists and turns in this mystery based in D.C. A government lawyer becomes caught up in a fascinating case dating to the 1950's and involving holocaust victims. Great characters and fast moving.
Erna
I really enjoyed this book. Yes it is more about political corruption but the protagonist is a likable character and remains ethical throughout the book.
Amanda
Jul 14, 2008 Amanda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amanda by: Work
Shelves: fiction
Liked this one better than In Her Defense. The story was 100 times better and the characters were much more interesting. :)
Joan
A particularly good detective who-done-it set in Washington DC and populated with great characters.
Laural
This would make a great Netflix series. Someone should really buy the rights -!
Leonard
Read it awhile ago. OK Thriller
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Debbie Hoffman
Debbie Hoffman marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Innocent Victims: Two Novellas
  • Prince Ombra
  • Above the Law
  • Free Fall (Mark Beamon, #3)
  • The Weatherman
  • Boy's Life / Gone South
  • Dakota (Andi Oliver, #2)
  • Republocrat, Confessions of a Liberal Conservative
  • Millroy the Magician
  • Tabloid City
  • The Promised World
  • Mr. Lucky (Tony Valentine #5)
  • Sunburn
  • Spyder Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #1)
  • Evening News: A Novel
  • Death Row (Ben Kincaid, #12)
  • Hot Plastic
  • Oyster: A Novel
In Her Defense Bis Zum Beweis Der Unschuld. Roman Em Sua Defesa Unused Power H. R. 4007 and S. 1379, the Nazi War Crimes Disclosure Act: Congressional Hearing