Foundation and Chaos (Second Foundation Trilogy, #2)

Foundation and Chaos (Second Foundation Trilogy #2)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  13,687 ratings  ·  39 reviews
A major science fiction author continues one of the most famous SF stories of all time.
Published July 15th 1999 by Orbit (first published January 1st 1998)

Jeremiah Johnson
I almost gave this two stars until I realized how utterly pointless the book was. Nothing in the story advances the plot of the Foundation Series until the last 10 pages or so.
The "sims" were (thankfully) largely downplayed after their disastrous introduction in Foundation's Fear. There was no VR immersion nonsense either. It also wasn't nearly as long (albeit still 350 pages or so too long in my opinion...). So in these regards, it was not as bad as Fear was.
But, there were robots. Tons and ton...more
C. Conner

This book is annoying on many levels:

Overall thoughts - this was not a journey where the reader is carried along by a quest and comes to a resolution by the end. This was a "glad it's over" story. A book should be a collection of words greater than the sum of the total. Foundation and Chaos was the opposite. Asimov gives the sensation of a rich and vast universe with his Foundation series. With this book the words are there but the meaning is lost and the reader is left looking through a small p...more
Smaniam

I read the Foundation Series as a teenager and with "Foundation and Earth" I thought there could be nothing more that could be achieved beyond that book. So, when I came across the books that were published ostensibly as an authorised extension to the foundation saga - It was something amounting to sacrilege!! I could barely control myself whenever I caught a glimpse of any of the pretenders. It was like Mammon had won the battle and Asimov's legacy would soon be muddled.

Well, time does mellow o...more
Roddy Williams
‘In ‘Foundation and Chaos’, one of science fiction’s greatest storytellers takes one of its greatest stories into new and fascinating territory. Isaac Asimov’s classic Foundation series is back.

Hari Seldon, approaching the end of his life, is on trial for daring to predict the Empire’s fall. At the same time, final preparations are under way for the long-anticipated migration to Star’s End. But R Daneel Olivaw, the brilliant robot entrusted with this great mission, has discovered a potential en...more
Alex
I finished reading "Foundation and Chaos" by Greg Bear. This is an authorized part of the Asimov Foundation series . Once again we get into the details, filling out the story about how the Foundation got started. The original series started off rather abruptly with a new character, placed on trial and an older character that seems to know what is going on. The judgement is exile and suddenly you are on another planet, wondering how it all happened. Foundation and Chaos provides that information,...more
manuti
Siguiendo con la trilogía incluida en la lista de libros de 2008 – 2009. Después del anterior, este continúa las aventuras del matemático Hari Seldon. Si del anterior dije que era un poco space opera, este es algo más, y en general entra en una serie de historias con los robots (una constante de Asimov) que me ha gustado menos que el anterior, por lo que se queda con solo 2 estrellas.
Phil Giunta
I completed Foundation and Chaos in a few weeks, reading mostly in the late evening or in stolen minutes during weekends. By contrast, I took months to finish the first entry in this trilogy, Foundation's Fear by Gregory Benford. Benford's plodding, tedious pacing and fragmented plot did not inspire confidence in the rest of the series but Greg Bear turned that around.

I was eager to return to Foundation and Chaos everyday and for as long as possible. Well conceived plot, excellent pacing, and s...more
Emma
Starting in the middle of a series is a crazy idea but read the book. You in a world of low intelligent thanks to a disease that kills any child of high intelligent. One of the main character Klis suffered as a child. Lucky for the robots she and a boy called Brann survived this. The robots they to get these two to help the change of the world.
The story is deep and philosophy like. A bit too deep to read.
Jen
Compared with the novel that came before in this series, this one was phenomenal!

Foundation and Chaos: The Second Foundation Trilogy is clearly a secondary book in a trilogy. It advances the story arc and sets up the crisis to be resolved in the third novel, without actually answering many questions itself. This novel was a faster read than Foundation's Fear (Second Foundation Trilogy, #1), and seemed to dovetail very nicely with the initial vignette in Foundation.

I was thrilled to see Dors back...more
Daniel McGill
Does some damage control on what Benford did to the series in the first book before it gets going but I'd give this series a pass unless you're a fanatical completionist.
Kaethe
I was reading purely for the plot, just to find out what happened next. the author's style didn't strike me one way or another, which I suppose is good. And at this remove, I can't actually recall the plot of this volume as distinct from the rest of the series.

Kip
Got these three (Second Foundation Trilogy) from a friend. Been a long time since I read the Foundation or robot stories from Asimov, so I was eager to jump back into the story.

All three authors did a good job remaining true to the original timelines, major events and characters. That said, you could tell this was sort of filler. Should have expected that, right?

Has motivated me to go back and read some of the robot stories again -- lots of robot activity in all three of these.

* Couldn't finish
*...more
Zoltán
Minden tekintetben meghaladja a Gregory Benford jegyezte Az Alapítvány félelme c. regényt. Greg Bear története nemcsak tartalmi-logikai és stilisztikai szempontból illeszkedik sallangmentesen Asimov univerzumába, hanem a benfordi szálakat is sikerrel fűzi össze az Alapítvány epizódjaival – egy nem éppen könnyű feladat. Nyilván, az Alapítvány és a Robotok univerzum szakértő olvasói kimazsolázhatnak egy-két következetlenséget, lelhetnek néhány pontot, ahol Bear sztorija apró karcot ejt az asimovi...more
Rachel
This book started decades after the last one. That left too many holes, but once I got past that annoyance, I could enjoy this. I'm still pretty confused, though. The explanation of the Second Foundation was helpful.
Thường
Bear did a fantastic job to "continue" the Foundation serie with a missing prequel. The many parallel threads resemble the well-known structure of the original Foundation books. Even the narrative style and the twist till the end is surprisingly similar to Asimov's one as thought the old master could write them himself. To the core an successful prequel even though sometimes I miss the what-if mindgame of Asimov so dearly.
Jason
I have always enjoyed Foundation books and wanted to see what other authors could add to it. I enjoyed this book well enough but thought that it was a little to convenient. The malfunctioning robot and the girl with psychic abilities were too formulaic. One thing I've always liked about Greg Bear books is that he tells a good story. There is no lacking of detail and the story keeps moving.
Michael
Jul 05, 2008 Michael rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the series
For fans of the Foundation series, this fills in some gaps in the story around the time of Hari Seldon's trial. The story is somewhat bleak, with Dors and Daneel in agony for much of the story, and Hari miserable.

I enjoyed the book, but it never really grabbed me as Asimov's books did.
Steven Cole
The further adventures of R. Daneel and Hari Seldon. The book was good enough that I kept reading it without being too pissed off, but I wasn't ever really that enamored of it. That's the same feeling I've always gotten from Greg Bear's writing, though, so I shouldn't be too surprised...
Jay Caselberg
As an original devotee of the series that prompted this and the other two Foundation novels, I thought Bear did quite a good job of capturing the background and characters as well as a believable evolution of the storyline. At the same time, quite readable, which isn't a bad thing.
Garrett
I read through this novel much quicker than the previous one - perhaps because I am more intrigued about this part of Hari's life and about Daneel and the other robots.

I thought the writing was good too. Greg Bear did Asimov proud.
Rushevents
Jeff Crosby
I found this book disappointing after the promising start of the first novel. I thought that Benford, Bear and Brin writing a new Foundation trilogy was an interesting idea, but this book disappointed me.
JP
Probably my favorite thus far of the entire series - perfect pace and most interesting presentation of culture. Solid integration with all past books (some of which would happen in the future.
Danielle
This was a decent book - not as good as the original (but what is), and certainly not as bad as the first in this series. All in all, enjoyable, but not a must-read.
Bruce Jones
Greg Bear continues the trilogy with insightful dialog between long-lived robots with conflicting views of humanity's future.
Mark
Mostly rather *meh* but the last 100 or so pages sucked me in, as evidenced by me staying up till 3:00 AM reading the end.
Sandra Mann
This book made me want to reread the entire series again...it was about 19 novels starting with I Robot.
Denise
The author also wrote Blood Music, which I enjoyed. I love Asimov so I thought I'd give this a try.
good one 1 5 Nov 17, 2012 06:28PM
  • Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy, #3)
  • Foundation's Fear (Second Foundation Trilogy, #1)
  • Foundation's Friends
  • Forward the Foundation (Foundation: Prequel, #2)
  • Isaac Asimov's Caliban (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #1)
  • Odyssey (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #1)
  • Cyborg (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #3)
  • The Garden of Rama (Rama, #3)
  • The World at the End of Time
  • The Past Through Tomorrow (Future History, #1-21)
  • Suspicion (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #2)
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

More about Greg Bear...
Eon (The Way, #1) The Forge of God (Forge of God, #1) Darwin's Radio (Darwin's Radio #1) Blood Music Moving Mars