Start by marking “Beverley Nichols: A Life” as Want to Read:
Beverley Nichols: A Life

Beverley Nichols: A Life

A generous, meticulously researched biography of a complex and multi-talented writer, musician, and socialite. Connon doesn't flinch at comparing the evidence about details in Nichols' life with Nichols' own imaginative renderings of events, particularly in connection with his relationship with his
Published March 1st 2005 by Timber Press (OR)

To ask other readers questions about Beverley Nichols, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beverley Nichols

O Babs
Jul 14, 2016 O Babs rated it liked it
Shelves: author-biography
A prolific author throughout his life, Beverley Nichols is known now mostly for his books about his gardens and the houses set in those gardens. He developed a breezy, campy style for these books, and his descriptions are vivid. Some things are out of place in the 21st century, 80 years or so after Nichols lived, gardened and wrote. No matter how little you garden, the garden books are fun, light reading.

Connon has done a good job of adding some depth to the persona that narrates the garden writ
James
Dec 18, 2012 James rated it it was amazing
I finished this fascinating book on Sunday.

I’d not heard of Nichols prior to a few weeks ago. I was doing a Google Image search for a picture of Rex Whistler, and came instead across a dust jacket Whistler designed, in the British Neo-Romantic style of the 1930s, for a book called “A Thatched House.” The picture was enchanting, and the subject and title intrigued me, so I looked up the author, Beverley Nichols.

I learned he is best-remembered today for his home and gardening books, and that got m
May 13, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I first encountered Beverley Nichols as a writer of garden books. I would describe his style as something along the lines of Noel Coward repartee while double digging a perennial bed; i.e. witty apercus on the passing neighbors' floral faux pas while managing not to do any of the actual digging himself. This biography was a well written exploration of Nichols' wide (but I can't say deep) career as a reporter, gossip columnist, composer of muscial scores, and man about town (and garden). Connon, ...more
Melody
Sep 15, 2007 Melody rated it it was ok
I love Nichols' garden writing. I liked Nichols much better before I knew him, though. The times were rough for who he was, of course, but if Connon's right (and I have no reason to doubt him), he had such a sad, pathetic life. I would have liked more about the relationships that made up Nichols' adult life, and more about Gaskin the loyal retainer. Unsatisfying.
Katharine Holden
Nov 10, 2013 Katharine Holden rated it did not like it
Uninteresting, bland book. Never quite shows why we should be interested in this person.
Sandee Taylor
Sandee Taylor rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Stuart Tricker
Stuart Tricker marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Cecelia Blair
Cecelia Blair marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Patsy
Patsy marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Donna B. Kirkpatrick
Donna B. Kirkpatrick rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2015
Valorie Rivero
Valorie Rivero rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2015
Pat
Pat rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Arthur Peter
Arthur Peter rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Sharon
Sharon added it
Oct 08, 2015
Livia Olsen
Livia Olsen marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Maria
Maria rated it it was ok
Feb 14, 2015
sherman d lohn
sherman d lohn rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2015
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith is currently reading it
Nov 17, 2014
Michele P. Olender
Michele P. Olender rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2014
Theodore
Theodore marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Heidi Belinsky
Heidi Belinsky rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2013
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
Susannah
Susannah marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2013
Gonnie
Gonnie added it
Feb 18, 2013
Amy Stillwell
Amy Stillwell rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Alyson
Alyson rated it did not like it
Oct 04, 2012
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
May 16, 2012