Start by marking “A Thatched Roof (Beverley Nichols's Allways Trilogy)” as Want to Read:
A Thatched Roof (Beverley Nichols's Allways Trilogy)

A Thatched Roof (Allways trilogy #2)

Beverley Nichols fans, armchair gardeners, and literature enthusiasts will delight in this reprint of the second book in his Allways trilogy, with facsimile reproductions of Rex Whistler's original graceful illustrations and a new foreword by Roy C. Dicks. Nichols's humorous ruminations on life in the countryside, as always, are refreshing. The typical Nichols gardening an ...more
Published July 21st 2005 by Timber Press (first published November 30th 1932)

To ask other readers questions about A Thatched Roof, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Thatched Roof

Blood River by Tim ButcherThe Trigger by Tim ButcherChasing the Devil by Tim ButcherA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonAfrica and Back by Dorothy May Mercer
Best Memoirs/Autobiography/Travel
123rd out of 628 books — 655 voters
Rebecca by Daphne du MaurierThe Forgotten Garden by Kate MortonMariana by Susanna KearsleyJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThornyhold by Mary Stewart
So You're a Homeowner...
104th out of 153 books — 69 voters

More lists with this book...

Leslie
Oh, Beverley. Why did your parents give you such a girl name? And how did you come to be so very clever? Seriously, I never really found Wodehouse to be all that funny and thought Benson too mean spirited to be funny. You, my dear, dear little man, are truly and most definately funny. In fact, I should caution all readers first cracking open (or powering up as it may be nowadays) a Beverley Nichols work of fiction to take the following cautions: after sipping any hot beverage while reading Nicho ...more
Stephen
Jan 07, 2016 Stephen rated it it was amazing
A charming little book to wrap-up summer reading. By the time I was into the second chapter I kept hearing a voice in my head - and realized it was the voice of Hyacinth Bucket from "Keeping Up Appearances" fame. My copy, purchased at the local library book sale, was given to someone by Georgie in 1942 according to the handwritten inscription; the book was published in 1933. Reminds me of P.G. Wodehouse novels, on a smaller scale - the main setting is in a Tudor cottage in the English countrysid ...more
Lori Simcik
Oct 13, 2007 Lori Simcik rated it really liked it
Whereas Down the Garden Path discussed Nichol's adventures in his garden, A Thatched Roof tells of his adventures restoring his 16th century cottage. Nichols enthusiasm is infectious and his ignorance humorous. Throughout all, his deep love of his home shines through.
Kaj Luberti
Dec 23, 2015 Kaj Luberti rated it really liked it
Beverley Nichols second book about his house in the village of Allways takes us from the garden into the cottage...where we bang our heads on the low doorposts, find hidden treasures behind the walls, and see the author as a dedicated dog owner. What might be a surprise to those who only know Nichols as the author of cat books!
It is a delightfull book, and a journey back in time to when some people still had servants, and housekeepers. So some things seem a bit strange to the modern reader. But
Susan
Sep 22, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Nichols explains how he renovated the small Tudor cottage whose garden he described in an earlier book, but naturally he can't stay out of the garden entirely. He also discusses his neighbors, his dog Whoops, and the servant problem. Of course, many social attitudes have changed between 1933 and today, and I find myself having to make excuses for some of Nichols' comments. Still, there's something very restful about entering his world, even for a short time.
Mary-Beth
Jan 03, 2014 Mary-Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I didn't realize this was the second one of these books, but I suspect it mattered little. I enjoyed it well enough, but I suspect it would drive a lot of people batty. It is what it says on the tin, a little paean of praise to a man's weekend getaway, in this case a lovely sounding little thatched cottage. I probably like it because it's living vicariously.

When the author is amusing I am moderately amused, although honestly he seems a bit of a prig. When the author gets serious, I cringe. I'm
Another great one from BN -- this time less of the garden and more of the cottage (though he couldn't help throwing in more of the outdoors despite saying it would be a book of the house!). Loved the village interactions, especially that which showed the times such as the pylons and electricity, and -- of course -- the passage on the bees!
Annette
May 31, 2015 Annette rated it it was amazing
A lovely, fun, delightful read. I read most of it while on a weekend getaway to the mountains and it was just the perfect read for that. He does a brilliant job of weaving us around his cottage with peeks into his garden and country friends.
Irene
May 22, 2014 Irene rated it it was amazing
Love all my Beverley Nichols
Katrina
Feb 12, 2013 Katrina rated it really liked it
This is the second book of the Beverley Nichols Allways trilogy. The first one Down the Garden Path was mainly about the making of his garden but this one is about the internal decoration of his thatched Tudor cottage. Inevitably some gardening stuff creeps in too, as well as the neighbours. It's an amusing read, first published in 1933, it's amazing how much life has moved on in the last 80 years. Quietly catty.
Linda
Dec 18, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I enjoyed this book and could not put it down. It was thought provoking. Mr. Nichols has a knack for saying so much in a single sentence. At a point in the book, where he talks about Chopin, I wanted to hear it. We are so lucky we live in an age that I could listen with two clicks on my phone. How lovely to read the words of Beverley Nichols and imagine him in the back ground on is piano.
Maggie
Jul 13, 2010 Maggie rated it it was amazing
Just saw a photo of a friend's recent trip to the Cotswolds and it brought back the charm and whimsy of this fluffy read this past spring. If you were a fan of the television series All Creatures Great and Small, the charm of the English village life captured by Nichols in this book will be recognizable. Nothing taxing here... just fun!
Jan 27, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
More delightfully snarky domestic tales from Mr. Nichols. Instead of focusing on his garden, this book is centered on his house built in 1540. Wonderfully fun.
Katherine
The author is better known for his gardening books but this one about "doing up" the cottage is an absolute delight. Beverley Nichols has such a lyrical voice, a lovely way with description, and he's also very, very funny. A delightful, purely fun read.
Jane
Mar 13, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it
Who has not dreamed of living in a thatched cottage? Nichols makes you LONG to do so as he describes his first of many house-owning adventures.
A love of a book! So glad these are in print again.
Baranie
Jan 07, 2008 Baranie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: readers who like english country life
Recommended to Baranie by: my online book club
The was a faster read than the first, but maybe I just knew what to expect. It had fun characters and him discovering the old house was a good read. He installs electricity and digs a new well.
Annie
Nov 11, 2013 Annie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography-memoir
love this guy, he wrote many garden books, they are all good...he also had many cats and wrote about them
Carol
Sep 03, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Book two of the Allways trilogy. Deadon character sketches and wonderful British wit.
Odoublegood
Aug 21, 2012 Odoublegood rated it liked it
pleasant reading, for the most part; "Knoll" settee instead of "Knole"
Marlies
Feb 28, 2009 Marlies rated it liked it
Very old school, very British. Quaint, peaceful, great before bed.
Bethany
Feb 15, 2008 Bethany rated it it was amazing
Always just a bit twee, but charming nevertheless.
Terry
Aug 04, 2011 Terry rated it liked it
A Thatched Roof is the sequel to Nichol
Cece
Jul 20, 2009 Cece rated it really liked it
Peaceful and charming.
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
SM Surber
SM Surber marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Melanie Hybart
Melanie Hybart marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
michelle
michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
  • Old Herbaceous: A Novel of the Garden
  • Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden
  • Onward and Upward in the Garden
  • Beatrix Potter's Gardening Life: The Plants and Places That Inspired the Classic Children's Tales
  • Two Gardeners: A Friendship in Letters
  • The Private World of Tasha Tudor
  • The Solitary Summer
  • The Writer in the Garden
  • Fauna and Family
  • The Gardener's Year
  • Cultivating Delight: A Natural History of My Garden
  • The Stillmeadow Road (Stillmeadow Series, #7)
  • The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady
  • As They Were
  • A Very Great Profession
  • The Handbook of Natural Plant Dyes: Personalize Your Craft with Organic Colors from Acorns, Blackberries, Coffee, and Other Everyday Ingredients
  • The Joy of Snow
  • The Roots of My Obsession: Thirty Great Gardeners Reveal Why They Garden
John Beverley Nichols was an author, playwright, journalist, composer, and public speaker.
More about Beverley Nichols...

Allways trilogy (3 books)
  • Down the Garden Path