Start by marking “Sunlight on the Lawn” as Want to Read:
Sunlight on the Lawn

Sunlight on the Lawn (Merry Hall Trilogy #3)

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Sunlight on the Lawn brings to a close Beverley Nichols's delightful Merry Hall trilogy describing the renovation of his run-down Georgian mansion and its garden.
Published February 15th 1999 by Timber Press (first published February 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Sunlight on the Lawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunlight on the Lawn

Dewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotInto the Wild by Erin HunterThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Cat Lovers List
304th out of 574 books — 265 voters
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettMidnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John BerendtTom's Midnight Garden by Philippa PearceThe Forgotten Garden by Kate MortonMansfield Park by Jane Austen
Gardens: Fact or Fiction set in a Garden Books
62nd out of 103 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Carlie
Beverly, Beverly, Beverly...you're impossibly snooty sometimes, you hate women, think babies are revolting and are a bit overly obsessed with your cats and yet...somehow you are so charming, so clever, and so very, very funny. Sunlight was the final book in his famous trilogy...a great capstone to the story of his adventures renovating the gardens of an English country estate. Just like all the other books I read with a notepad in hand and was forever scribbling down Latin names to look up or ev...more
Linda
Another funny installment about the author's mansion and gardens. Loved his writing so much that I couldn't read them fast enough!
Susan
Nothing much happens, yet I can't stop reading these village fictions. Nichols describes his gardening passions, is drawn into a feud between two local women, each of whom is convinced she's in the right (he's fairly sure they're both wrong), and explains how he changed his soil from chalky to acid so he could raise some of his favorite flowers. (It's expensive and difficult.)
Hilary
A lovely treat to read. Nichols has the art of making you feel you are right there in the situations he talks about, whether it is an argument between Miss Emily and Our Rose, an educational ramble by the ever wise Marius, the anguish of the long-suffering Gaskin who dreads the coming of (work) Men who will insist upon tramping into his kitchen and being treated to his tea at the rate of a guinea an hour, the cat lover whose beloved animal must be 'put down' then replaced, and the ever impetuous...more
Irene
Must read in his series
Heather
Have you ever loved a book from the first word? The other books in the Merry Hall trilogy were like that for me, and so I expected this book to be the same. Nichols did not fail. As I portioned it out before bed each night, I was enchanted by Nichols' particular view of the world and his delight in creating the garden at Merry Hall. He has a wonderful turn of phrase, and the ability to make mundane things like the search for a NB (nice balustrade) into an entertaining quest.

Polly
I do love Beverley Nichols, although reading gardening books by people with extensive acreage in England when one has a shady balcony in the GTA is perhaps not such a great idea. I get inspired, but nothing can come of it. I will never be able to cram so much as a column onto this balcony (nor, really, do I want to), much less many columns making a Folly, to say nothing of the water garden and the Nice Balustrade!
Ilsabe
Jul 27, 2011 Ilsabe added it
I saw this in the library and remembered that I had really enjoyed other books of his that I have read. It took a couple of chapters to get back in the swing of his writing. For a bit I was thinking, say, exactly why did I like his books so much? And then I knew. I was sorry when it ended and will have to go back to the others. I love his characters, stories, and writing.
Anne
The third in English author Beverley Nichols' autobiographical trilogy,the 'Merry Hall' series, describing his country house and garden in the early 1950's is a wonderful escape for garden enthusiasts and fans of P.G. Wodehouse, E.F.Benson and television series like 'Downton Abbey.'
Ann
More good stuff from Mr. Nichols. Although this is supposed to be the last in his series about Merry Hall, I will definitely search out later works for news of him, his household, and his neighbors.
sarah
I think I'm looking forward to spring, but getting a bit tired of Mr. Beverley Nichols.
Sonia
Another wonderfully droll book about Nichols' gardening adventures.
Mason
Such a perfect book to read during the dreary tail end of winter...
Lynda Kern
Lynda Kern marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Mesembryanthemum
Mesembryanthemum marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Sara Turner fitzsimmons
Sara Turner fitzsimmons marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Helena
Helena marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Cynthia Smith
Cynthia Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
John Beverley Nichols was an author, playwright, journalist, composer, and public speaker.
More about Beverley Nichols...
Merry Hall Down the Garden Path Laughter on the Stairs A Thatched Roof (Beverley Nichols's Allways Trilogy) The Tree That Sat Down (The Magic Woodland Trilogy, #1)

“Why do insurance companies, when they want to describe an act of God, invariably pick on something which sounds much more like an act of the Devil? One would think that God was exclusively concerned in making hurricanes, smallpox, thunderbolts, and dry rot. They seem to forget that He also manufactures rainbows, apple-blossom, and Siamese kittens. However, that is, perhaps, a diversion.” 0 likes