Start by marking “The Foundation: A Great American Secret: How Private Wealth is Changing the World” as Want to Read:

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Foundations are a peculiarly American institution. They have been the dynamo of social change since their invention at the beginning of the last century. Yet they are cloaked in secrecy— their decision-making and operations are inscrutable to the point of obscurity-leaving them substantially unaccountable to anyone. Joel Fleishman has been in and around foundations for alm ...more
Published January 9th 2007 by PublicAffairs

To ask other readers questions about The Foundation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Foundation

Elizabeth
I mark this as 4-stars because I think Fleishman has some really great points - mostly about impact, transparency, and communications. I'd give it 5 stars if the case studies were better.
Kressel Housman
This was one of the books cited in Philanthrocapitalism and it's very similar, but rather than focusing on philanthropy in general, it focused specifically on charitable foundations. In tone, however, it was much more academic than Philanthrocapitalism and didn't feature nearly as many famous people, so it wasn't as easy a read. To tell the truth, I nearly gave up after the introduction, but I'm glad I didn't because the book definitely picked up, especially in the case studies chapter. The reas ...more
Rana Rachwal
What are the chances .. My 1st book from digital library!!
Georgia
Jul 25, 2009 Georgia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in philanthropy
Recommended to Georgia by: Grace Chiang
Shelves: 2009-reads
Read this for work. Not the most interesting subject, but informative and helpful for my job. Although the author was a bit repetitive at times, he made a good case for why we have and need foundations. While many are critical of them for their opaque practices and hesitancy to admit failure, they have changed the course of millions of lives from funding the people who made Sesame Street to drastically reducing famine in India.
Kevin
Good overview of foundations and their impact on philanthropy in America. Aside from providing some background the book makes a pretty strong plea for transparency, accountability, and ways to measure the impact of foundation giving. The ethical argument is strong and valuable and concludes with the idea that foundations should police themselves before the government starts to police them.
Jamie
This is an in depth and emotional account that vindicates the importance of foundations, and the need for these institutions to be more accountable to society.
Joe Imberman

Am in the middle of this very thorough study of american foundations. Fleischman knows the field very well.
Amanda
Good book for the subject matter. I'd recommend it if you are interested in philanthropy and foundations.
John
Good book information-wise, but as you might imagine, it's quite dry in parts.
Dan Graham
A good overview of philanthropic giving
Joel
Oct 16, 2009 Joel added it
A glowing account of foundations and their activities. Amazing how much foundations have accomplished. A lot of social progress, and in the physical and biological areas too. Very faint warnings of the new Conservative foundations, and nothing about how foundations direct their investment programs.

Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Steven Zachary
Steven Zachary marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Jarum
Jarum marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Gideon
Gideon marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Daniel Angel
Daniel Angel marked it as to-read
Daniel Fevrin
Daniel Fevrin marked it as to-read
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Dawn Hadley
Dawn Hadley marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Rob Stets
Rob Stets marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Vasco
Vasco marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Cai
Cai added it
Apr 23, 2015
Santosh
Santosh marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
  • What Does China Think?
  • Class Warfare: Inside the Fight to Fix America's Schools
  • Giving 2.0: Transform Your Giving and Our World
  • Managing the Non-Profit Organization: Principles and Practices
  • The Plundered Planet: Why We Must--And How We Can--Manage Nature for Global Prosperity
  • Reluctant Capitalists: Bookselling and the Culture of Consumption
  • World on the Edge: How to Prevent Environmental and Economic Collapse
  • A Nation of Takers: America’s Entitlement Epidemic
Casebook for the Foundation: A Great American Secret The Future of the Postal Service The Future of American Political Parties: The Challenge of Governance Ethical dilemmas and the education of policymakers (The Teaching of ethics) Public Duties: The Moral Oblication of Government Officials