Start by marking “Fossil Hunter (Quintaglio Ascension, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fossil Hunter (Quintaglio Ascension, #2)

Fossil Hunter (Quintaglio Ascension #2)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  620 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Fossil Hunter is hard SF in the tradition of Larry Niven about a world inhabited by the Quintaglios, a dinosaurian species that has evolved a human level of intelligence and culture.
Toroca, a Quintaglio geologist, is under attack for his controversial new theory of evolution. But the origins of his people turn out to be more complex than even he imagined, for he soon disc
Published March 1st 2005 by Tor Books (first published 1993)

My Lady Love by Bridgitte LesleySecrets of the Realm by Bev StoutDog Days of Summer by P.J. FialaMay Day by Thom  StarkFor the Sake of a Child by Stevie Turner
On My Kindle
186th out of 218 books — 90 voters

More lists with this book...

James Steele
Jun 11, 2011 James Steele rated it liked it
Originally posted on Journalstone

Picking up years after Far-Seer concludes, Fossil Hunter centers on Afsan’s children. They were not culled by the Bloodpriests, thus putting Afsan in the unusual position of knowing who his children are. Afsan is now advisor to the emperor, Dybo, and one of his sons, Toroca, leads a survey team of Land. Like his father, Toroca makes another discovery about their civilization that turns their whole worldview upside down: evolution.

The second book of Sawyer’s Quint
Blind_guardian
Dec 26, 2014 Blind_guardian rated it it was amazing
Book 2 of the Quintaglio trilogy continues to impress. While we continue to follow the now-blinded astronomer, Afsan, we also are introduced to Toroca, one of Afsan's eight children. Unlike most of the Quintaglios, who are culled down to a single survivor from each clutch, all of Afsan's children survived into adulthood because of his position as 'the One'. But now, someone is doing the unthinkable, killing Afsan's children in cold blood, and Afsan has to figure out who could do such a thing. At ...more
Chip
Aug 09, 2015 Chip rated it liked it
Another fairly early Sawyer that is a moderate read. This book is more about world building. It has great characters (some common from the first book) but seems to be missing the excitement and drive of the first one. It is mainly the story of Darwin told in an unique way. Will read the last in the series but am hoping for more compelling book.
Liz
Apr 16, 2011 Liz rated it liked it
this one loses a point for the bizarre God-like narrator chapters. but the protagonist (DINOSAUR DARWIN, with added loneliness issues -- everyone thinks he's kind of creepy because he doesn't fly into a homicidal rage at the touch of another) is the. best.
Elizabeth
Jan 12, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Fossil Hunter (Quintaglio Ascension #2)
by Robert J. Sawyer

In Fossil Hunter, Robert Sawyer revisits his dinosaurian society (Quintaglios). This time out, if Afsan was Galileo then Toroca is Darwin. This second book in the trilogy follows Afsan’s son as he leads a Geological Survey team in a voyage meant to be reminiscent of the Beagle.

While it was still fun to revisit this world, book 2 wasn’t as fun as the first one. Still I enjoyed reading it immensely at the time, and re-reading for this revi
James Dekens
Sep 30, 2013 James Dekens rated it liked it
Science Fiction isn't usually my favourite genre but this series is something different. While I appreciate the religion vs science debate told through a different lens, or in this case, an entirely different species, I really love the discussion of territoriality in the Quintaglio society more than anything else. How would we function if every once in a while we all had uncontrollable urges to just kill each other? I'm so glad we can back down from altercations and misunderstandings and that th ...more
Martin
Sep 03, 2010 Martin rated it it was amazing
The loved the second novel of the Quintaglio series. It was better done than the first one. This time, Afsan is blind and Toroca(his son) is the main character. It follows Toroca on a similar journey to his father. He boards the same vessel as him and has to go under a right of passage for all Quintaglios. He finds out the his brother(a Quintaglio never has any siblings unless the parents are considered worthy or royal) is murdering his siblings(some). At the same time, Afsan undergoes therapy t ...more
Rod
Feb 28, 2012 Rod rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part 2 of The Quintaglio Ascension (see review of Far Seer) and continuing in the same spirit of that book, a race of intelligent dinosaur creatures carrying out the scientific search for truth about themselves and running into conflict with religious and political powers of their culture. This one centers on a Darwin-like figure who traces the evolutionary history of life leading all the way off the planet they inhabit. Fun theological speculation along the way; not a major work by a long shot; ...more
Susan
Apr 23, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
An all time favorite series.
Michael Christopher
Jul 26, 2011 Michael Christopher rated it it was amazing
Every bit as inventive and thrilling as the first book in the series. Fossil Hunter manages to create memorable characters that don't get lost in the shadows of the epic plot that drives the story. Every detail about the Quintaglio culture is thoroughly thought-through and woven together as tightly as silk. I'm very much looking forward to reading the third book in the series.
John Cooley
Jan 19, 2014 John Cooley rated it it was amazing
awesome, cant hardly wait for the next one, its in the mail, but not here yet....
Bruce
Feb 08, 2010 Bruce rated it really liked it
The first book was almost pure fantasy (or so it seemed) but with this second volume we begin to see that it's more a work of science fiction than fantasy. I'll admit that I liked it slightly better as fantasy than SF, but I still enjoyed this volume a lot. Jumping right into the third, Foreigner.
Jacqueline
Not a bad series. Sawyers is an excellent writer and this is from his earlier works. It's well thought out, though a tiny bit obvious. Nevertheless, I read all three of the trilogy and didn't mind that some of it was not a surprise.
Russell Olson
Aug 16, 2012 Russell Olson rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
I read this series in junior high and high school. From what I remember, they're vividly written and wonderfully imagined. Maybe sometime in the not so distant future I'll revisit them.
Clayton Yuen
May 08, 2011 Clayton Yuen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi
The continuing saga of the Quintaglios a.k.a. T.rex's is superb. The novel is building to a final climatic end in the third book ... i can hardly wait to read it!
Jeff
Oct 08, 2010 Jeff rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was that it wasn't one of those books that you just can't put down. Still really enjoyable though.
Jeffrey
May 09, 2010 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Another wonderful retelling of scientific discovery set on a world populated by intelligent lizards.
Marisa
Oct 05, 2012 Marisa rated it it was amazing
A delightful romp back through time and an interesting look at Mars.
Amy Sjoquist
Different cover.
Mia
Mia rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
JJ
JJ marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Gerhard Kraider
Gerhard Kraider rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Dellar
Dellar rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Djhoria
Djhoria marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Simone
Simone added it
May 18, 2016
Hunter Ferrell
Hunter Ferrell is currently reading it
May 18, 2016
Keith
Keith rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Sherie
Sherie rated it liked it
May 15, 2016
Kwesi Brookins
Kwesi Brookins rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Sam T.G.
Sam T.G. rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
  • Doctor Who and the War Games
  • In the Courts of the Crimson Kings (Lords of Creation, #2)
  • Doctor Who and the Genesis of the Daleks
  • Doctor Who and the Ice Warriors (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 33)
  • Doctor Who: The Underwater Menace
  • Doctor Who: The Mind Robber (Doctor Who Library, No 115)
  • Doctor Who: Grimm Reality
  • The Empire of Fear
  • Doctor Who: Sometime Never
  • Doctor Who: The Dominators (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 86)
  • Threshold (Boundary, #2)
  • Doctor Who - The Power of the Daleks
  • Doctor Who: Dark Progeny
  • Max Quick: The Pocket and the Pendant (Max Quick, #1)
  • Doctor Who: The Ancestor Cell
  • Return to Eden
  • Starmind (Stardance, #3)
  • Doctor Who: The Devil Goblins from Neptune
Robert J. Sawyer is one of Canada's best known and most successful science fiction writers. He is the only Canadian (and one of only 7 writers in the world) to have won all three of the top international awards for science fiction: the 1995 Nebula Award for The Terminal Experiment, the 2003 Hugo Award for Hominids, and the 2006 John W. Campbell Memorial Award for Mindscan.
Robert Sawyer grew up in
More about Robert J. Sawyer...

Quintaglio Ascension (3 books)
  • Far-Seer (Quintaglio Ascension, #1)
  • Foreigner (Quintaglio Ascension, #3)