Fossil Hunter (Quintaglio Ascension, #2)

Fossil Hunter (Quintaglio Ascension #2)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  405 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Fossil Hunter is hard SF in the tradition of Larry Niven about a world inhabited by the Quintaglios, a dinosaurian species that has evolved a human level of intelligence and culture.

Toroca, a Quintaglio geologist, is under attack for his controversial new theory of evolution. But the origins of his people turn out to be more complex than even he imagined, for he soon disco
Published March 1st 2005 by Tor Books (first published 1993)

Les Misérables by Victor HugoThe Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska OrczyGatsby's Smile by Morana BlueCorpalism by Arun D. EllisAlbion Imperilled by Ruth  Thomas
On My Kindle
131st out of 162 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

James Steele
Originally posted on Journalstone

Picking up years after Far-Seer concludes, Fossil Hunter centers on Afsan’s children. They were not culled by the Bloodpriests, thus putting Afsan in the unusual position of knowing who his children are. Afsan is now advisor to the emperor, Dybo, and one of his sons, Toroca, leads a survey team of Land. Like his father, Toroca makes another discovery about their civilization that turns their whole worldview upside down: evolution.

The second book of Sawyer’s Quint...more
Liz
this one loses a point for the bizarre God-like narrator chapters. but the protagonist (DINOSAUR DARWIN, with added loneliness issues -- everyone thinks he's kind of creepy because he doesn't fly into a homicidal rage at the touch of another) is the. best.
James Dekens
Science Fiction isn't usually my favourite genre but this series is something different. While I appreciate the religion vs science debate told through a different lens, or in this case, an entirely different species, I really love the discussion of territoriality in the Quintaglio society more than anything else. How would we function if every once in a while we all had uncontrollable urges to just kill each other? I'm so glad we can back down from altercations and misunderstandings and that th...more
Martin
The loved the second novel of the Quintaglio series. It was better done than the first one. This time, Afsan is blind and Toroca(his son) is the main character. It follows Toroca on a similar journey to his father. He boards the same vessel as him and has to go under a right of passage for all Quintaglios. He finds out the his brother(a Quintaglio never has any siblings unless the parents are considered worthy or royal) is murdering his siblings(some). At the same time, Afsan undergoes therapy t...more
Rod
Part 2 of The Quintaglio Ascension (see review of Far Seer) and continuing in the same spirit of that book, a race of intelligent dinosaur creatures carrying out the scientific search for truth about themselves and running into conflict with religious and political powers of their culture. This one centers on a Darwin-like figure who traces the evolutionary history of life leading all the way off the planet they inhabit. Fun theological speculation along the way; not a major work by a long shot;...more
Michael Christopher
Every bit as inventive and thrilling as the first book in the series. Fossil Hunter manages to create memorable characters that don't get lost in the shadows of the epic plot that drives the story. Every detail about the Quintaglio culture is thoroughly thought-through and woven together as tightly as silk. I'm very much looking forward to reading the third book in the series.
John Cooley
awesome, cant hardly wait for the next one, its in the mail, but not here yet....
Bruce
The first book was almost pure fantasy (or so it seemed) but with this second volume we begin to see that it's more a work of science fiction than fantasy. I'll admit that I liked it slightly better as fantasy than SF, but I still enjoyed this volume a lot. Jumping right into the third, Foreigner.
Jacqueline
Not a bad series. Sawyers is an excellent writer and this is from his earlier works. It's well thought out, though a tiny bit obvious. Nevertheless, I read all three of the trilogy and didn't mind that some of it was not a surprise.
Russell Olson
I read this series in junior high and high school. From what I remember, they're vividly written and wonderfully imagined. Maybe sometime in the not so distant future I'll revisit them.
Clayton Yuen
The continuing saga of the Quintaglios a.k.a. T.rex's is superb. The novel is building to a final climatic end in the third book ... i can hardly wait to read it!
Jeff
I really liked this book. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was that it wasn't one of those books that you just can't put down. Still really enjoyable though.
Jeffrey
Another wonderful retelling of scientific discovery set on a world populated by intelligent lizards.
Marisa
A delightful romp back through time and an interesting look at Mars.
Amy Sjoquist
Different cover.
Robert Pinolehto
Robert Pinolehto marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Adam James
Adam James is currently reading it
Apr 11, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
January
January marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Sascha
Sascha added it
Apr 03, 2014
Timothy
Timothy marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Tallis
Tallis marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Marco
Marco marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Lori
Lori added it
Mar 15, 2014
Katharine Mcintosh
Katharine Mcintosh marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
  • Doctor Who and the War Games
  • Doctor Who and the Genesis of the Daleks
  • In the Courts of the Crimson Kings (Lords of Creation, #2)
  • Doctor Who and the Ice Warriors (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 33)
  • Time Pressure (Lifehouse, #2)
  • Dinosaur Summer
  • Mammoth
  • Threshold (Boundary, #2)
  • Burnt Bones  (Special X, #7)
  • Return to Eden
  • The Laird's Inheritance
  • Footprints of Thunder
  • Max Quick: The Pocket and the Pendant (Max Quick, #1)
  • Doctor Who: Mad Dogs and Englishmen
  • Alien Taste (Ukiah Oregon, #1)
  • Ex-KOP (Juno Mozambe Mystery #2)
  • Farseed (Seed, #2)
  • A Choice of Gods
Robert J. Sawyer is one of Canada's best known and most successful science fiction writers. He is the only Canadian (and one of only 7 writers in the world) to have won all three of the top international awards for science fiction: the 1995 Nebula Award for The Terminal Experiment, the 2003 Hugo Award for Hominids, and the 2006 John W. Campbell Memorial Award for Mindscan.
Robert Sawyer grew up in...more
More about Robert J. Sawyer...
Flashforward Hominids (Neanderthal Parallax, #1) WWW: Wake (WWW, #1) Calculating God Humans (Neanderthal Parallax, #2)