Start by marking “The Adventures Of Old Mr. Toad” as Want to Read:
The Adventures Of Old Mr. Toad

The Adventures Of Old Mr. Toad (The Bedtime Story Books)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  284 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Hurry, hurry, hurry Jimmy Skunk, startled by the sight of the hurrying, scurrying Mr. Toad, asks what the matter is "I've business to attend to at the Smiling Pool And I'm late as it is "

What business can Mr. Toad have at Smiling Pool? And how does Mr. Toad frighten fleet-footed Peter Rabbit himself?

Thornton Burgess, master of children's nature stories, charms and delights
Published December 1st 2007 by Aegypan (first published 1916)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures Of Old Mr. Toad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures Of Old Mr. Toad

Jonathan Marshall
Jan 31, 2011 Jonathan Marshall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-friendly
The Burgess Books

This is a phrase that brings a smile to my face as often as I hear it. As a young child, I would lose myself for hours in the simple world of the wood and pond inhabited by Little Joe Otter, Buster Bear, Grandfather Frog, and terrorized by Farmer Brown's Boy. I can remember the very shelf, even the exact spot in the little library in Felton, CA where these books were kept. I would return practically every week with a new armload to last me until our next trip to the library. Of
Cindi
Mar 13, 2009 Cindi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable. This has the flavor of "Wind in the Willows" but with a little less description, and therefore more dialogue. My six year old loved it and gave it five stars. The pictures are fun to look at. We learned a lot about toads as part of the bargain!

Upon starting this book, I read a list of others by this author on the back and was surprised to see "The adventures of Peter Cottontail." It made me wonder when the publication time was as compared to Beatrix Potter. I'd like to do some ot
Laura Verret
Jimmy Skunk and Peter Rabbit don’t know what to think. Why, Old Mr. Toad has just hopped by in the greatest hurry announcing that he is on his way to join the spring choir down at Smiling Pool. What a preposterous idea! Why, ugly Old Mr. Toad couldn’t have a voice worth listening to… could he?

Jimmy and Peter soon learn that they don’t know as much about Old Mr. Toad as they thought…

Discussion.

There were two primary character lessons in Old Mr. Toad – one, never assume that just because you know
Mckinley
May 21, 2014 Mckinley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, animal, series
There's a series of stories each focusing on a different animal in the forest. This one is (mostly) about a toad. Read the series to get the perspective for different animals. Fun to read aloud for up to 8 years old I think.
Leah
Jun 15, 2014 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: william
This was a great read for my first grader. He read it on my Nook and looked up some of the harder words. The plot line about animals was engaging but also so simple that it was a joy, especially as a parent, to have a break from ninjas, fighting, and new age themes. A classic indeed.
Nathaniel
Aug 07, 2015 Nathaniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i liked it.
Amy  Adelseck
Mar 21, 2011 Amy Adelseck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family-reads
If you are doing any study of toads with your kids this is the book to read. It was so cute and fun. It taught about the habits of toads in a fun creative way. I will never forget some of the things I learned. I didn't pick up this book with that in mind. We were on vacation and all the big kids and dads were gone for the day so I scanned a friends bookshelf looking for a book that would take about 3 hours to read aloud and this was the winner. This would also be a great car read.
Dominick
I loved Burgess as a kid, but he doesn't stand up terribly well. Episodic and rather trivial adventures serve the dual function of teaching facts about toads (e.g. they shed and eat their skin) and pretty trite morals (e.g. pride is bad). Enjoyable, but slight.
Wt
Jan 12, 2012 Wt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
Great old story that I used to get read to when I was a child. Now I have my great-aunt's 1918 copy and love the artwork! The tipped in pics are so dynamic, that you would be hard pressed to find better looking art in a children's book from that era!
K
Jul 01, 2010 K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My kids love animal stories! We'll be reading more from this series...
Nana
Nov 30, 2013 Nana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschool-past
Great books by burgess
Andrea
Andrea is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2016
Haven LeGros
Haven LeGros marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Darrell Spradlyn
Darrell Spradlyn marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jun 30, 2016
Stotty
Stotty marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Katie Schaffer
Katie Schaffer rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Dulcia
Dulcia marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Ella
Ella marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Sarah added it
Jun 17, 2016
Megan Triplett
Megan Triplett marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Luisa
Luisa rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
Chrys
Chrys added it
Jun 21, 2016
Suzanne Williams
Suzanne Williams marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Mary Goutermont
Mary Goutermont rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Tiffany Matthews
Tiffany Matthews marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Darla
Darla marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Michaella
Michaella marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Adam
Adam added it
May 13, 2016
  • Mason McQueen and the Gargoyle's Curse (book 1)
  • The Story of Rolf & the Viking Bow
  • Julius
  • Fifty Famous People
  • Paddington at Work (Paddington, #7)
  • The Story Of The Greeks (1896)
  • Coll and His White Pig
  • The Little Duke
  • The Tale of Little Pig Robinson
  • The Dragon's Boy
  • Mog and Bunny
  • Stories of the Pilgrims
  • Reader and Educator Guide to "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings"
  • Survival at Sea (Choose Your Own Adventure, #16)
  • The Best-Loved Doll
  • Save Queen of Sheba
  • Bob, Son of Battle
  • A Dog on Barkham Street
Thornton W. (Waldo) Burgess (1874-1965), American author, naturalist and conservationist, wrote popular children's stories including the Old Mother West Wind (1910) series. He would go on to write more than 100 books and thousands of short-stories during his lifetime.
More about Thornton W. Burgess...

The Bedtime Story Books (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Adventures of Bob White