Start by marking “A Movie in My Pillow/Una pelicula en mi almohada” as Want to Read:
A Movie in My Pillow/Una pelicula en mi almohada

A Movie in My Pillow/Una pelicula en mi almohada

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Young Jorgito has come to live in the Mission District of San Francisco, but he hasn't forgotten the unique beauty of El Salvador.In his first collection of poems for children, poet Jorge Argueta evokes the wonder of his childhood in rural El Salvador, a touching relationship with a caring father, and his confusion and delight in his new urban home. We glimpse the richness ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Children's Book Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Movie in My Pillow/Una pelicula en mi almohada, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Movie in My Pillow/Una pelicula en mi almohada

James Govednik
Summary: A young boy with two homelands and a delightful sense of wonder comes to life in Jorge Argueta’s first collection of poems for children. Young Jorgito lives in San Francisco’s Mission District, but he hasn’t forgotten his native El Salvador. He recalls the volcanoes, the tasty cornmeal pupusas, and his grandmother’s stories. As he changes from timid newcomer to seasoned city dweller, Jorgito’s memories and new adventures form a patchwork of dreams — the movie in his pillow — that is per ...more
Donna
A good picture book with colorful illustrations. Tells the story of Jorgito who comes to live in San Francisco by way of El Salvador.As I read the poems of this book I couldn't help but notice Jorgito's constant comparisons of the things in San Francisco to his native country El Salvador. I guess he really missed home. But for everything he encountered in his new home he found some kind of way to connect it to his homeland. Take a look at Papa's Voice (page 15), My Bicycle (page 16) or Playful T ...more
Janaee Cobbs
Jorge Argueta wrote this book, "A Movie in My Pillow". I found this book through www.childrenslibrary.org. The storyline have both languages accessible which are English and Spanish. The orientation of the book is vertical looking rectangle. There is a big graphic picture with a little boy who apparently is excited while he is laying half-sit up on the bed outside of the house on the down left corner with other many houses on the down right corner of the book. There is an introduction of the aut ...more
Juanita Serna
A Movie in My Pillow is a collection of poems about a boy named Jorgito who moved from El Salvador to the Mission District of San Francisco. In each of his poems he tells how he felt or what he wanted to feel during these hard times.The author, Jorge Argueta and his family had to move from El Salvador to the U.S. because of the Civil War. He dedicates this book to all of the children from El Salvador. Within each of these poems is a description of what he saw, lived, and his dreams. He writes ab ...more
Naila Moon

This is the second book that I have read from this author and I like it just as much as I did the last one I read. The author writes this book completely in poetry. Each poem is short and in English but is coupled with the Spanish counterpart on each page, usually beside or underneath the English.

The words are as bold as the colorful pictures. All this describes his thoughts of being a young boy pulled suddenly from his home land of El Salvador. Only he and his Father came to the United States l
Lexile: 500
Age level: Upper Elementary
Genre: Multicultural, picturebook, poetry
Award: America's Award
Unique Feature: written in Spanish and English

Setting: San Francisco
Point of view: from Jorgito
Main characters: Jorgito, his grandmother, his father

This is a book of poetry vignettes written by Jorge Argueta, a native of El Salvador, who moved with his father to San Francisco. The poems are written in language that is age appropriate for 3-5th graders.

In his poems, location, family, traditions
Laura Rumohr
Summary-
Jorge Argueta writes beautifully in this book a poems. A Movie in My Pillow is intended for readers in grades 4-8. In this collection of poems, each poem is written in both English and Spanish alternating between which is presented first on the page.

Young Jorge and his father leave their home in El Salvador and move to the Mission District in San Francisco. The poems touch on Jorge's move, his family that he misses back home, simple things in life like a bike and truck, and friendships.
Mary Hoch
This is a book of short poems that tell the tales of a young boy's transition from El Salvador to San Francisco. His poems tell stories inspired by family. They are filled with his longing for the land he misses as well as his journey through childhood in a new city that becomes his home.

This book won an Amercas Award for Latin American Literature. It is appropriate for all grade levels, especially primary. The illustrator does an excellent job capturing the essence of each poem.
Tiffany Young
This is a book of short poems that tell the tales of a young boy during his transition from El Salvador to San Francisco. His poems tell stories that are inspired by his family as well as his homeland. They are filled with his longing for the land he misses as well as his journey through childhood in a new city that becomes his home. Great for a short read aloud in your classroom. A teacher could read a poem at the end of the day for students.
Evelyn
This book is a set of short poems that tell the story of a boy who immigrates from El Salvador to America. It is written in both English and Spanish. This book could be used to describe the differences as well as the similarities between the Hispanic culture and the American culture. it could be used to talk about different families and customs. It could be read to students in grades K-5.
Samantha Lazar
This book is about a young boy's adventures as he came from El Salvador to the United States. There are poems in Spanish and English, and this book would be great in an ELL class, a Spanish class, or during a Multicultural unit. This book is appropriate for students grades 3-8. The pictures in this book are very vibrant and lively, and this is a book that sutdents will enjoy.
Hatka Prozorac
The book A Movie in My Pillow by Jorge Argueta is a book of poems, which are written in both English and Spanish. The book describes the experiences of a boy from El Salvador. The book can be used for bilingual students who speak and read both English and Spanish. This book can be used in Kindergarten-5 grade classrooms. Using this book with ELLs will be very benefitual.
Robin
As a boy Argueta and his father left war-torn El Salvador for San Francisco. These moving poems are drawn from his own childhood experiences. At night when he dreams, he remembers his homeland -- "as a movie in my pillow."

Very little written about El Salvador. Excellent, authentic source and voice.
Dawn
Dec 05, 2007 Dawn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Language Teachers
This book of poetry has absolutely beautiful language. I used "Barrio lleno de Sol" for my 7th grade Spanish class since we started a unit on cities and neighborhoods. This book is full of beautiful poems. This book is not only educational, but truely enjoyable.
Chrissy
Jun 28, 2008 Chrissy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teachers and Parents of ELL's
This is a book of poems in Spanish/English. They are about the authors adventures/thoughts when he came to the U.S. from El Salvador. The illustrations are bright and lively. This would be a great book to have in a classroom with ELL students.
Marcie
I love the poetryin both languages enjoying the lack of rhyme in both. it is also fun to learn about El Salvador. Illustrations are a delight. I also read Arroz con Leche, but it doesn't seem to be in goodreads.
Anthony Manna
For Young Jorgito, moving from El Salvador to San Francisco is a bittersweet experience. These bilingual poems tell of the love and friendship that help him to adjust to his new lifestyle.
Naomi
I enjoyed this book because the illustrations are vivid, bright, and creative. The poems of Jorge Argueta speak from the heart. The book is in English and Spanish and a fun read!
Mrs. Van
Read the digital version at the International Children's Digital Library. Beautiful colors. Verse written in Spanish and English.
Cvecklundgmail.com
Delightful read for children of all ages. Vibrant illustration complement the descriptions of a child's life experience.
S10_Helena
Genre: fiction
Format: online text
Grade level: elementary
Dora
2001 Americas Award Winner
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Kayla Sposto
Kayla Sposto marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Priscila
Priscila marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Arroz con leche/Rice Pudding: Un poema para cocinar/A Cooking Poem Sopa de frijoles/Bean Soup Guacamole: Un poema para cocinar / A Cooking Poem Xochitl and the Flowers/Xochitl, la nina de las flores Tamalitos: Un poema para cocinar/A Cooking Poem