Start by marking “Monster Manual (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons)” as Want to Read:
Monster Manual (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons)

Monster Manual (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons #2009)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  1,458 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Monster Manual: Special Reference Work: An Alphabetical Compedium of All of the Monsters Found in Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Including Attacks, Damage, Special Abilities, and Descriptions.
Published February 1st 1977 by Tsr Inc (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Monster Manual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monster Manual

A Tolkien Bestiary by David DayFaeries by Brian FroudAfter Man by Dougal DixonThe Book of Imaginary Beings by Jorge Luis BorgesGnomes by Wil Huygen
Bestiaries
10th out of 100 books — 52 voters
The Golem by Gustav MeyrinkThe Tragical History of Doctor Faustus by Christopher MarloweMagic Prague by Angelo Maria RipellinoSearching for Memory by Daniel L. SchacterThe Marquis Volume 1 by Guy Davis
Heraclix & Pomp's Top 20
7th out of 22 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Jason Koivu
My favorite and most perused Dungeons and Dragons book of all time!

From the meager kobold...description

…to the mighty Tiamat...
description

…the Monster Manual provided a bevy of sword fodder such as goblins and orcs, as well as easily dispatched undead like skeletons and zombies:

descriptiondescriptiondescription
(I can't even begin to imagine how many orcs I killed. Stupid noisy pigs...)

Not to mention trickier specters in the shadowy form of ghosts, ghasts and, well, specters with their ability to drain the life right out of the player’s characters:
Michael
Sep 25, 2009 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: gamers, pre-adolescents
Recommended to Michael by: Seth Klein
Shelves: role-playing, fantasy
This was most likely the first book of the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (1st Ed.) rules that I owned or read, and it was an excellent place to start. A listing of more than 350 monsters, most of them illustrated, was a perfect book for a young person of my predilections. I didn't necessarily understand half of the data fields for each entry at first - being accustomed only to "Basic" D&D, but I understood the opportunity to people my fantasy worlds with a tremendous array of beasts. It may ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
When I first found AD&D back in '78 I think that the Monster Manual may have been my favorite book to just sit down and read. In first edition i gave the books (Handbook and DM Guide) four stars, this one I give 5. It remains handy. You have to convert the monsters to use them in the other editions but that's not a big deal

Do you write,...(be careful not to use copyrighted material), but thumbing through this book you'll come on classic creatures from mythologies around the world that you ha
David Sarkies
The original collection of monstrous fiends
13 January 2013

Well, I can't say I actually read this book from cover to cover, though I do believe that I did own a copy of it at one time (though it probably disappeared sometime over the years). This is the third of the three main books for the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons game and while not necessary for running a game (the Dungeons Master's Guide contained a list of creatures in the back) it is still quite helpful since it contained pictures and
Scott Marlowe
I still have this book and many of the original Dungeons & Dragons books in a box upstairs. It's been years and years since I've played, but looking through some of the Gygax titles sure brings back some memories.
Andy Howell
In memoriam.

--Naked Succubus on page 18.
Carolee
This manual ( & Monster Manual II) was one of my son's favourite books to sprawl out behind on the floor ... at the age of 5 / 6 this is what he really enjoyed reading ... pictures and gory details about all manner of beasties. My husband is a first generation D & D er ... I only came to the wonderful world of RPG in the late 90's ... Diablo for PC was the little game that 'bit me' and Baldur's Gate reeled me in! I know, I know, I'm not a true-blood ... but these manuals helped me and my ...more
Tony
109 Pages cover to cover. This book is a reference manual for the tabletop AD&D Role Playing Game, but when I was 6, it was a textbook for everything you need to know in life. I have two copies of this book, and I love them both like children; more than children. This book taught me how to kill vampires, why you don't speak the names of demons and that there are better things to be afraid of than home-invaders- like mind flayers.

This was one of the most important books of my childhood. Buy
Lyn
I played this game and used this book back in the early eighties and have kept the books all this time, sometimes revisiting the dusty tombs on my bookshelves. A couple years ago I became a cool dad because I had these "ancient" texts. The game is still alot of fun, and the kids playing today can take some time away from the video screen and let their true imagination work. Good times!
Jared
You still can't beat this book and, to a lesser extent, the Monster Manual II for stimulating the imagination. I loved this book as a kid and I still look at it from time to time just for the nostalgia. This tome seems to capture an element of the fantastic that cannot be replicated by the overt visual (and superficial) stimulation of video games and movies.
Clayton Bye
I have a 1st edition of this book. When constructing an 8 level dungeon with around a hundred rooms per floor, this book became an essential companion. My kids took over where I left off, so it's still being used today.
David Winston
Mar 30, 2013 David Winston rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes sir wee!
One of the most used D&D books I own!
Kurt Vosper
Classic D&D information for gamers.
Abraham Ray
nice rpg monster book
Stuart
Full disclosure: Never really played AD&D except for a few ill-fated attempts in 5th grade. It's amazing how personalities can clash, especially with an incompetent DM. But it is just fun to read about all kinds of cool monsters and imagine pitting your toughest character against them.
Keith Brough
Oh yes. The old one. Still in a box under my bed. I think I have Joe's old copy. Ah,... the good ol' days.

Ivan
And people wonder where I get my imagination from...
Corbett Sparks
May 02, 2008 Corbett Sparks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I constantly refer to this book for answers.
Bret
Awesome pictures that still haunt me to this day.
David
Nov 12, 2013 David rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: games
Childhood treasure
Ibeyla
Ibeyla marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
  • Deities & Demigods: Cyclopedia of Gods and Heroes from Myth and Legend
  • Advanced Dungeons and Dragons: Fiend Folio
  • Player's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Core Rulebook)
  • Monstrous Manual
  • The Forgotten Realms: Campaign Set
  • Dungeoneer's Survival Guide
  • Wilderness Survival Guide (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons)
  • The Complete Fighter's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Player's Handbook Rules Supplement)
  • Ravenloft, I6 (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Official Game Adventure #9075)
  • Monster Manual (Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition)
  • Manual of the Planes
  • Queen of the Demonweb Pits (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons module Q1)
  • The Forgotten Realms Atlas
  • Dungeon Master's Guide (Dungeons & Dragons v.3.5)
  • The Complete Psionics Handbook: Player's Handbook Rules Supplement, Dungeons & Dragons (2nd Edition)
  • Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons v.3.5)
  • Arms & Equipment Guide (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, 2nd Edition, Dungeon Master's Guide Rules Supplement/DMGR3)
  • The Complete Wizard's Handbook
Ernest Gary Gygax was an American writer and game designer, best known for co-creating the pioneering role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) with Dave Arneson in 1974, and co-founding the company Tactical Studies Rules (TSR, Inc.) with Don Kaye in 1973.

After leaving TSR, Gygax continued to author role-playing game titles independently, including another gaming system called Lejendary
More about Gary Gygax...
Players Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Core Rulebook) Dungeon Masters Guide (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Core Rulebook) Unearthed Arcana: A Compendium of New Ideas and New Discoveries for AD&D Game Campaigns ... Monster Manual II Oriental Adventures: The Rulebook for AD&D Game Adventures in the Mystical World of the Orient (Official Advanced Dungeons & Dragons)