Start by marking “Zigzag Through the Bitter-Orange Trees” as Want to Read:
Zigzag Through the Bitter-Orange Trees

Zigzag Through the Bitter-Orange Trees

Zigzag through the Bitter Orange Trees was published in Greece in 2000, where it was acclaimed as "the best novel of the decade" and became the first novel to win both the Greek State Prize for Literature and the prestigious Book Critics' Award. In Zigzag through the Bitter Orange Trees we enter the lives of four young people in modern Greece: Lia, ailing in the hospital o ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Clockroot Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Zigzag Through the Bitter-Orange Trees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zigzag Through the Bitter-Orange Trees

Marc
Aug 19, 2009 Marc rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
The author, Ersi Sotiropoulos (Έρση Σωτηροπούλου), is generally regarded as modern Greek poet. Her care in the use of words is apparent in this novel and, using words, she has constructed a puzzle. We generally dump a puzzle out of its box onto a table. The pieces are all jumbled up with some face down, and little, if anything seeming to fit with other pieces. As you zigzag through the pieces you spot some plausible, and then likely parts that fit together. Often you complete the outside edge fi ...more
Ip Christ
Oct 14, 2016 Ip Christ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Όσο συγγνωστές, αλλά και εσφαλμένες, είναι κάτι κριτικές με 0 ή 1 αστέρι αναγνωστών του goodreads, τόσο ακατάληπτες, και εσφαλμένες είναι κάτι απόψεις "κριτικών" που αναφέρονται στο εσώφυλλο του βιβλίου και συγκρίνουν τη Σωτηροπούλου με τον Καβάφη. Οι περιπέτειες του βιβλίου με τον Πλεύρη, την "πορνογραφία" και τα δικαστήρια θα ήταν για γέλια, αν δεν ήταν το δικό μας Ιράν. Τέλως πάντων, το βιβλίο είναι καλογραμμένο, ποιητικό, συστηματικό. Είναι, νομίζω, πρόδρομος αυτού που κατέληξε να αποκαλείτα ...more
Manuela
Jan 05, 2014 Manuela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Probabilmente l'unico libro che abbia mai letto che non è riuscito a darmi proprio niente. Non ho trovato alcun senso né nelle vicende, né nei personaggi. Trovo che l'unica cosa positiva sia la bella ambientazione greca.
Luisa
Feb 11, 2017 Luisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
MAH

Insulso, piatto, inutile. Ma stavolta non mi dilungo!

"Una voce nuova, originale, melodiosa e penetrante, intrigante e inquietante, con cui ci si deve confrontare."

"Bello, evocativo, profondamente commovente."

"Un gioco di equilibri e forze centrifughe. Vite sconclusionate. Continua ricerca d'amore. Sesso. Erotismo. Un'opera innovativa, quasi rivoluzionaria."

"Ersi Sotiropoulos dimostra di avere le capacità di una grande scrittrice."

Ma perchè queste affermazioni (scandalose peraltro) non concord
Katy
Aug 03, 2011 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un mundo absurdo y doloroso, violento y terrible se pasea entre naranjos amargos para despedir un tiempo caduco.

Una niña que se rebela, una mujer que se muere, un hombre que se enamora, otro que hace acrobacias, un pájaro negro que habla. Personajes que vagan, radialmente, en distintas direcciones, pero que, de manera inapreciable, enredados en la airada búsqueda del amor, en el desengaño, el abandono y la traición, van convergiendo como piezas de un puzzle.

Las fronteras se desdibujan, las his
Lynne Favreau
Mar 16, 2012 Lynne Favreau rated it liked it
This is the first of Greek writer Sotiropoulos’s books to be translated into English. She weaves four stories together through chance meetings, revenge and coincidence. The characters are young adults, including a sister who is dying and her drifting brother, her male nurse, and an adolescent from his hometown. Their stories are alternately dark, sad, and funny. I found the writer’s sometimes lyrical quality easy to read with touches of the Greek culture shining through. It didn’t have a particu ...more
Parthena
I got what I wanted: a book written in Greece by a Greek. Zigzag Through the Bitter-Orange Trees allowed me to venture into Greek culture and enjoy some interesting reading.

However, I spent most of my time being confused and frustrated by this little book.

There are parts in it that just seem to be thrown in. And there are many disconnected, disturbing incidents that I feel were unnecessary.

I unfortunately do not recommend this book. I feel it was mostly well written. There was some lovely pro
Nov 21, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sarà ke ultimamente non riesco a trovare nulla ke mi soddisfi, ma anche questo romanzo non mi ha detto molto..si,carine le ambientazioni greche, ma le arance mi davano idea di calore che qui non ho affatto visto..le storie basate su begli spunti ma nessuno colto e trattato fino alla fine ma solamente accennato..idee bittate lì che fan sembrare alcune cose decisamente superflue..sinceramente mi è sembrato senza capo nè coda!
Debora
Apr 16, 2012 Debora rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've bought it because of superlative reviews in magazines. Unfortunately I didn't appreciate characters' strangeness and the stories a little bit crazy..
Giuseppe
Sep 03, 2012 Giuseppe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Non male..si legge velocemente!!
Emily
Jun 02, 2008 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
my 27th birthday present to myself.
Leon
Leon rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2016
Thomas
Thomas rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2014
Dim63
Dim63 rated it did not like it
Feb 23, 2017
Natalia
Natalia rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2011
Sandra Dillon
Sandra Dillon rated it it was ok
Jun 11, 2014
Clio
Clio rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2013
Houdini
Houdini rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2017
Sal Mikro
Sal Mikro rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2014
Ismini Tornivouka
Ismini Tornivouka rated it really liked it
May 26, 2013
Kostas Papalios
Kostas Papalios rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Babak vahedi
Babak vahedi rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2011
Ana
Ana rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2012
Evdoxia Kolydaki
Evdoxia Kolydaki rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Mirabelle
Mirabelle rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Stanton
Stanton rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2016
Maria Papas
Maria Papas rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2016
Luci
Luci rated it it was ok
Jan 12, 2013
Marta
Marta rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2008
Steklina
Steklina rated it did not like it
Jan 07, 2016