Start by marking “The Brave Little Tailor” as Want to Read:
The Brave Little Tailor

The Brave Little Tailor

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
This is a fantastic retelling of the classic Brothers Grimm tale of the poor little tailor who kills seven flies with one blow, and then uses this fact to trick the king into offering his daughter's hand in marriage.
Published October 1st 2000 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Brave Little Tailor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brave Little Tailor

James Rody'
Esta bonito. Nos enseña a ser personas de palabra.
Judy
Feb 18, 2016 Judy rated it liked it
I never much cared for the story of the brave little tailor, and even with this highly original, somewhat surreal, art, the fairy tale doesn't fare any better. I imagine the original is more stunning. In my copy of the book, it's fairly lifeless and gray.

"Once upon a time in a far off land where things were often not what they seemed or as they were in other places, there lived a little tailor."
The Brothers
Jan 21, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
This was a cute, if somewhat befuddling, fair tale about a tailor who ends up a king. He starts by bragging about killing seven in one blow (failing to mention that this refers to flies, not men) and because of this the king sets him out on a series of tasks which will get him half the realm and his daughter's hand in marriage.

Illustrations were fascinating! I'm not even sure what some of them were, but they were such fun to look at.
Toriq
Mar 20, 2013 Toriq added it
there was once a tailor who was working while eating some jam and bread.the sweet jam quickly attrached some flies.the tailor used a piece of cloth to hit the flies,killing seven of them.'wow!everyone should know about this!said the tailor proudly.So he made a girdle with the words, SEVEN AT ONE STROKE!.The next morning,he put on the girdle and set out to see the world.He brought along a piece of cheese which he kept in his pocket.Later,he caught a bird which he put in his pocket too.
Heather
Apr 10, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
Very interesting illustrations. My 7 year old was very interested and 'got' the story, but my littles only came around a few times for the 'weird' pics we were talking about. Neat story though.
Lanny
Jan 16, 2008 Lanny rated it it was amazing

Some of the most creative illustration work i've found.
It's not something I look for consciously but this is a Russian Husband wife team and they are quite amazing artists I think.
Photogirl
Nov 03, 2007 Photogirl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A kids book with illustrations based on Bosch paintings!!!! Amazing! The authors/illustrators comment in the forward that the illustrations for this book took six years to paint.
Monique
Nov 25, 2011 Monique rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. The illustrations are amazing and highly imaginative! Its vision reminds me of the dream-like absurdity of a Terry Gilliam film.
Katie
Aug 08, 2013 Katie rated it liked it
Ornate and whimsical illustrations, a little iffy on the moral, everybody's white as can be, and medium level vocab.
Angela
Jan 31, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-children
Amazing weirdie pictures with projectile hats and face masks. The story was an old one for us.
Mckinley
Jan 23, 2014 Mckinley rated it really liked it
IT's the same story but the cool thing about this version is diffinitely the illustrations.
Kristin
Jan 12, 2008 Kristin rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
The pictures were stunning, but the story itself was only so-so.
S.
Apr 29, 2009 S. rated it it was amazing
So gorgeous. and a good German story.
Alisa Kester
Aug 16, 2013 Alisa Kester rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Absolutely fantastic art.
Juan Gonzalez
Juan Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Lawrence Tyree Library
Lawrence Tyree Library marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Norman S. Walker
Norman S. Walker rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Matt Baldwin
Matt Baldwin marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Pat
Pat added it
Jan 23, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Nickcole
Nickcole rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Anna Ivanovna
Anna Ivanovna marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Julie  Webb
Julie Webb marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Aspen Mitchell
Aspen Mitchell marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Jen Markovich
Jen Markovich rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2015
Cookie
Cookie marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Hema Ayyar
Hema Ayyar marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Geoffrey Bonnycastle
Geoffrey Bonnycastle rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2015