Start by marking “Burial” as Want to Read:
Burial

Burial

How do you live with your guiltiest secret? And what do you do when it comes back to haunt you, threatening to destroy everything? Neil Cross's 'Burial' explores this stark predicament.
Published 2009 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Burial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burial

Gatorman
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this book. I liked it, for the most part, but there's just something missing from it that keeps it from getting any more than 3 stars. It's well-written and it kept me interested in how the story would end. Plus, there is a revelation towards the end from one of the characters about what happened with the dead girl Elise that I found rather unique. However, other than that, there isn't a whole lot original about the plot and the actions of the protagonist, Nat ...more
Lou Robinson
Jun 17, 2013 Lou Robinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with all the Neil Cross I've read so far, I couldn't put this book down. A punchy story, distasteful main characters and plenty of suspense. Great stuff.
Erika
Jan 26, 2009 Erika rated it it was ok
comfort
This story was so thrilling I actually felt my heart speed up at times, which is unusual for me.

It starts in the present day when two men meet up and discuss a "situation" that had occurred 10 years previously which entailed them burying the body of a young girl.

It then jumps to that time and the story starts to unfold.
Nathan (our "hero") is in a job he hates, living with a girl he is about to dump, when he is invited to a party at his bosses' house and takes the girlfriend as a way of easing he
Karen
Aug 18, 2009 Karen rated it it was amazing
Neil Cross really knows how to put together a story. More importantly, in BURIAL, his second crime fiction novel, he's absolutely not afraid to write a very morally ambiguous central character.

When Nathan meets up with journalist Bob again at a drug fuelled party at his bosses house, he did something incredibly stupid. He was young and restless but just maybe he wasn't the one that killed a young girl that night. Maybe she wasn't actually killed but just died in very wrong circumstances. He cer
Rachel
Jan 30, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it
This is not the type of book I usually pick up, and after coming across the rather odd line "Nathan looked at the receiver as if it was firm and warm and damp, like a semi-erect penis." (p. 74), I wasn't sure I'd be able to let myself like it. But I couldn't put it down... I just kept wanting to read more and more. Now that I've finished it, I have to say that for all the oddness and general creepiness of the plot, I really enjoyed the story.

One of the things that made the story so compelling wa
Chad Eagleton
May 15, 2013 Chad Eagleton rated it it was amazing
When I started Burial after I got home from work, I thought had a made a bad choice on that night's reading selection. The opening is almost all dialogue and the prose is typical, all tough-guy crime novel terse. I sighed, thinking it was going to read like a lengthy screen treatment.

I was wrong.

After the knock on the Nathan's door, Cross takes us back to the beginning of the psychological hell and shows us the writing chops that make Luther one of the best shows on television: the prose style b
Raina Joseph
Nov 27, 2016 Raina Joseph rated it really liked it
My first time at his place, I walked around the room trying to feel a little more at home. I glance through the endearing family photos and souvenirs, bearing stories I looked forward to learning but was not a part of. My eyes settled on a tall bookshelf, and my heart beat a little faster in anticipation. It was packed to the brim with books! His dad was an avid crime fiction reader. I remembered that then, staring at the countless crime fiction novels loosely organised on the shelves. A dozen r ...more
Röbert Fenske
Dec 28, 2016 Röbert Fenske rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story follows Nathan, an average man, after he and acquaintance accidentally commit murder. The story tracks his guilt through the years and what he thinks may be redemption. Cross does a fantastic job of making Nathan ambiguous - one page you may sympathize for him and then detest him the next. Small subplots presented early in the novel come back in full force that make this a thrilling page turner.
Karen San Diego
Burial by Neil Cross is a perfect example of a wayward crime novel. This surpasses all cliches and expected events and characters and conclusions. This is a work of a courageous author who hopes to break barriers about this genre. It's not one you'll instantly like, I cannot guarantee that; but it's one which instantly takes your interest. It's a very dark and depressing novel that surpasses several known moral codes.

It's great!

Synopsis:

Nathan is at the end of his rope. His career is falling apa
Mareike
Nov 26, 2012 Mareike rated it really liked it
Shelves: gelesen-2012
Vergraben ist ein Buch, auf das ich zum einen wegen dem Cover aufmerksam wurde. Ich finde, das Cover sehr eindringlich und mir war sofort klar, dass ich dieses Buch einfach lesen möchte. Zum anderen wurde der Thriller von Neil Cross geschrieben, der ebenfalls der Verfasser von Luther. Die Drohung ist. Das Buch habe ich zwar noch nicht gelesen, es wurde mir aber schon empfohlen, so dass ich auch neugierig auf den Autor war. Gleich vorne weg möchte ich sagen, dass ich nach der Lektüre beschlossen ...more
Elena
Dec 19, 2016 Elena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A real page-turner but not much more. Luther seemed better written, idk.
George Kelly
May 30, 2015 George Kelly rated it liked it
Burial is a crime-thriller-cum-horror written by the man behind the hit TV series, Luther.

The story kicks off when Nathan, an employee of a famous radio DJ, attends his boss’s house party. From there, everything goes wrong. First he argues with his girlfriend in front of everyone, making a fool of himself. Then, drunkenly, he swings for his boss. And finally, he meets a girl and decides to drive out to a forest with her (alongside another guy he met at the party: Bob) and have sex with her. Bob
Sabine
Apr 30, 2013 Sabine rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-read
Nathan und Bob lernen auf einer Party die junge Emily kennen. Völlig zugedröhnt und betrunken fahren sie mit ihr in einen kleinen Wald, um ein bisschen Spaß zu haben. Doch dort stirbt das junge Mädchen, Nathan und Bob beschließen, darüber Stillschweigen zu wahren – erst Jahre später scheint die Vergangenheit die beiden einzuholen…
Es geht in diesem Buch gar nicht so sehr darum, einen Mörder zu finden oder Ermittlungen zu führen. Es ist eher ein Psychodrama, eine Charakterstudie: was hat Nathan ve
Ian Mapp
Nov 18, 2012 Ian Mapp rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
One of the best thrillers that I have read in a long time. A genuine page turner of simple pleasures.

Starts off with Nathan - working for some crappy washed up DJ who kind of reminded me of DLT, but that may have been thre recent news stories. He goes along to a party at the DJ house, meets an ex student friend (Bob) who is dicking around with a Oujia Board. In a bid to escape Nathan's girlfriend, Bob, Nathan and a 19 year old girl, escape off in a car. Things develop and the girl is loose with
Helen Powel
Dec 07, 2014 Helen Powel rated it it was ok
Shelves: murder
2,5 stars
I am a total fan of detective John Luther (tv-series) by novelist and screenwriter Neil Cross and of course I would be interested in his novels. So Burial is the first I read and I really wanted to like this book. It certainly was not badly written. The idea of how a regular person can get coerced into doing the unthinkable under influence of alcohol and cocaine and then has to live with oneself is interesting. Mr Cross succeeded in describing what that will do to you. But the point was
Paul
Sep 26, 2014 Paul rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, creepy
This isn't normally my kind of reading material, but my uncle leant it to me so I read it out of politness. Truth be told, I enjoyed it for the most part, albeit in the disgusting way you enjoy ten chicken mcnuggets at 1am but feel terrible about yourself immediately afterwards.

It's horribly written. Cross affects a terse, short-sentence style, in an attempt to manufacture some cock-swinging tension. This bothered me at first, until I learned to ignore it - occasionally, though, Cross takes the
Esme
Mar 13, 2012 Esme rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Nathan und Bob kennen sich nur flüchtig und trotzdem ist ihrer beider Leben untrennbar miteinander verbunden. Bei einer Party starb ein junges Mädchen und die Beiden vergruben gemeinsam ihre Leiche in einem Wald. Nun, zehn Jahre später, soll der Wald abgeholzt werden und einem neuen Wohngebiet Platz machen. Und die Geister der Vergangenheit stehen wieder auf. Geister im wörtlichen Sinn, denn der unheimliche Bob beschäftigt sich mit dem Erforschen von Geistererscheinungen.

Neil Cross schreibt nebe
Maya Panika
Jan 28, 2009 Maya Panika rated it really liked it
It’s certainly a page turner.

A claustrophobic thriller about a death that literally haunts a young and relatively innocent young man and his hideous friend, a PhD student and paranormal investigator. Nathan, the protagonist, deals with what’s happened and makes a life despite everything – in fact, he makes a rather good life, a life that, if the death had never happened, would not have come about. Can he deal with the implications of that knowledge?

I could see how the paranormal shades would co
Alison
May 04, 2010 Alison rated it really liked it
My first encounter with this author, and hopefully not my last. Burial tells the story of the devastation caused following the disappearance of a young woman, both to the family and to those involved in the disappearance.

Nathan is stuck in a dull job and a dull relationship. He goes to a party and bumps into Bob, a man he met once, long ago. The drugsd and drink are flowing freely at the party and, angered because his girlfriend is flirting with someone else, Nathan and Bob drive off with Elise
Craig Sisterson
Sep 04, 2011 Craig Sisterson rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, thrillers
Burial contains thematic echoes of Cross' previous work: bleak yet menacing settings, flawed characters forced into emotional and psychological maelstroms, and occasional literary flourishes.

Nathan, the protagonist, is no murderer. But he is a drunken, coked-up witness to the sudden death of 19-year-old Elise, who expires while entangled with Nathan's strange friend, Bob. Panicked, the pair hastily bury Elise in the woods, and for years don't speak. Then, one day, Bob arrives on Nathan's doorst
Pamela
This book captured my attention right from the start and had me hooked right to the end as the premise of the book was intriguing.

Nathan has not been able to forget the one mistake that he made earlier in his life. As much as he tries to forget, years go by and then one day his demons come knocking. Bob, an acquaintance from years earlier, was there with him on the tragic night a young girl disappeared and he has just showed up at his front door.

The author gives us clear insight of Nathan. We n
CJ Bowen
Feb 06, 2014 CJ Bowen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up because I have enjoyed several episodes on MI-5 (Spooks), which Cross writes for, and heard good things about the Luther tv series, which he created.

Good enough writing (with the exception of a repeated lewd detail), occasionally startlingly good, but very grotesque plot. Nathan comes across as the tortured victim of circumstance, when in reality he is the victim of his own cowardice. The resolution leaves much to be desired, like justice and righteousness. Moral: never bury just
Vivienne
Jan 01, 2009 Vivienne rated it really liked it

A masterful thriller from the lead writer of BBC's 'Spooks' (MI5 in USA). I won't say too much about the plot because it really needs to be encountered without spoilers.

An ordinary man is caught up into a nightmare situation when a young woman dies in his and another man's company. The other chap talks him into burying the body. He is haunted by the secret as the years pass and then he learns that the woods are to be developed for housing.

Just about to be published in UK in Jan 2009. 4.5 stars f
Златко Андоновски
Quite a fun read... Well, insomuch as a death coverup story written by Neil Cross can be considered "fun" (and I mean that in the best possible way). Not much in the way of memorable characters, but you probably won't care, as it's a real page-turner. There are some clever bits here and there (hint: you'll feel smart later on if you notice some of the names early on) and I found the sporadic horrory bits very creepy.
Cindy Hartley
Mar 12, 2012 Cindy Hartley rated it liked it
This book had great potential to be a nail biter. Terrific storyline about a man who marries the sister of the woman he and a friend murdered and buried years before. Now the body is possibly about to be found because of construction in the area. Will he be found out? The author did well with the storyline but I believe it fizzled a bit. I did not shut the book thinking this was a great story...just okay.
Carl Ingebretsen
Burial is a book about guilt. It would be wrong to call it a thriller because it's not really that thrilling, though it has some killer moments here and there. And it's a good book about guilt, though it could've been a lot better.

An alright read, some exciting moments and nothing more. It's short, though, so it's got that going for it.

But really, Neil Cross can do much, much better. His run on Luther has shown that. Hopefully, some of his other books are better than this one.
Joy
Jan 04, 2015 Joy rated it liked it
I liked it but didn't love it. I think I must have read a story very similar to this one before as it was so familiar feeling. I didn't find this to be suspenseful or mysterious, thus not loving it. The writing was good enough I might read another by this author but I imagine a week from now, I won't remember this book.
Yellowoasis
Jul 07, 2012 Yellowoasis rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I bought this as a holiday read and it was spot on. Neil Cross is a screen writer, and it shows in this well-plotted, well-paced thriller. He never lets the novel get bogged down with extraneous detail, and yet the characters are believable and the story arc satisfying. I’d definitely read his other books.
Christoaugust
Nov 03, 2013 Christoaugust rated it liked it
This was a fun page-turner, could see it turned into a neat little Hitchcock-esque film. It isn't the weightiest or most serious novel but it was a fun rip-read (even if that ending was a little too pat)...
  • Long Reach (Eddie Savage, #1)
  • Tomorrow City
  • One By One: Before: (Part One)
  • Buckingham Palace Blues (Inspector Carlyle #3)
  • Collecting Cooper (Theodore Tate, #2)
  • The Colour of Death
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • Making a Killing: The Explosive Story of a Hired Gun in Iraq
Neil was born in Bristol in 1969. He lived in Edinburgh, Brighton, Leeds and London before settling down. He is the author of several novels including Always the Sun, Burial and Captured as well as the bestselling memoir Heartland. He was lead scriptwriter for the acclaimed series 6 and series 7 of the BBC spy drama series Spooks and is the creator of the forthcoming BBC crime thriller Luther, whi ...more
More about Neil Cross...