Start by marking “Forms That Work: Designing Web Forms for Usability” as Want to Read:
Forms That Work: Designing Web Forms for Usability

Forms That Work: Designing Web Forms for Usability

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This title presents an invaluable methodology for creating usable, efficient, and accurate forms. It offers self-contained, easy to reference chapters for quick design guidance, and features case studies that show readers real-life examples of the best and worst practices of form design.
Published by Morgan Kaufmann (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Forms That Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forms That Work

Alice
Jarrett and Gaffney have written a very practical book for people who design forms. They've limited their examples to Web forms, but the principles they are espousing apply as well to forms on other systems, and to paper forms up to and including the tax forms we all know and love, whatever country we call home.

The authors take us from considerations of the relationship between the form and its filler to "the truth" about planning a form for success in a number of different languages. Sometimes
David
Please don't take my three-star review the wrong way. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this book. I liked the presentation. I thought it was very clever to illustrate the end-user thought processes with callouts next to screen shots of good and bad web form examples (example: "Why do I have to enter the same information twice?").

Maybe I think about web forms more on a regular basis than your average bear. There simply wasn't anything in this book's 200 pages that I haven't already thought a
Nathanael (Boehm) Coyne
Good introduction to forms but not substantial enough to be a useful ongoing reference to hit developers over the head with. Many of the examples could have been additionally abstracted and analysed; the principles and guidance seemed unsubstantiated, giving the book a feeling of lack of credibility, although as I know the authors are experienced I was happy to overlook this. Others might not be so forgiving. Book could have easily been twice as long.
Danielle Wills
Really useful - a lot of things you'd already know / common sense, if you already have some background knowledge of web form usability. Still some points and tips for those that aren't new.

If you are new - great read!~
Alaeddin Hallak
Awesome book on Web forms usability. Short and to the point. Lots of examples and funny illustrations. I've used this book as a basis for a public presentation I gave (in Arabic).

Melissainau
Very practical, easy to read primer
Julaine
Great, practical advice.
Niki Latzke Mastny
Niki Latzke Mastny marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Joana
Joana marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Irina
Irina is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2015
Solomon Mamuchishvili
Solomon Mamuchishvili marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Mayer
Mayer marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Lynne
Lynne marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Bradley
Bradley marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Georgy
Georgy marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Ahmad  Aljazzar
Ahmad Aljazzar marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Matthew Barry
Matthew Barry marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Koen De paepe
Koen De paepe marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Loren
Loren added it
Jun 11, 2015
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Tania
Tania marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Ruxandra Fediuc
Ruxandra Fediuc marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Ginah
Ginah marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Christopher Au
Christopher Au marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
  • Designing Web Navigation
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Search Patterns: Design for Discovery
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design
  • Neuro Web Design: What Makes Them Click?
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
  • Letting Go of the Words: Writing Web Content that Works
  • Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design
  • Designing with the Mind in Mind: Simple Guide to Understanding User Interface Design Rules
  • Prioritizing Web Usability
  • Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web
  • Simple and Usable Web, Mobile, and Interaction Design
  • Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
  • The Humane Interface: New Directions for Designing Interactive Systems
  • Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests
Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks User Interface Design and Evaluation