Start by marking “Notes From The Underbelly” as Want to Read:
Notes From The Underbelly

Notes From The Underbelly

As a guidance counselor at an elite, Bel Air high school, Lara Stone is definitely not ready to have any spoiled, bratty kids of her own. At least not now, when she has finally managed to Tae-Bo and low-carb herself down to a perfect size four. But her husband has different ideas, and they include fatherhood. Now.

Suddenly, Lara finds herself deep within the underbelly of
Published April 5th 2005 by NAL (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Notes From The Underbelly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notes From The Underbelly

Something Borrowed by Emily GiffinBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaCheating to Survive by Christine ArdigoLost In Time by Bridgitte Lesley
Chick lit
138th out of 353 books — 398 voters
Smooth Talking Stranger by Lisa KleypasFifty Shades Freed by E.L. JamesNobody's Baby But Mine by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsPerfection by R.L. MathewsonNever Too Far by Abbi Glines
Unexpected Pregnancies and Single Moms
234th out of 292 books — 489 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa
Mar 21, 2009 Melissa rated it it was ok
I didn't think I would finish this book, mostly because the husband was such an asshole. He bullies his wife into having a baby, dismissing her concerns as "selfish." Then she gets pregnant and he has no sympathy whatsoever. He's so focused on having a baby boy, that when they find out it is a girl it's as if he loses interest. He gets better toward the end, but then the story focuses more on the woman's change in attitude. I liked that it told a pregnancy story where the woman wasn't all mushy ...more
Cisz Strasters
Jul 16, 2015 Cisz Strasters rated it really liked it
Hilarisch boek, en een absolute aanrader voor komende moeders. heb me hier en daar echt suf gelachen om de simpele gedachte gang en de "van een mug een olifant maken" acties. vooral het hele poep gebeuren zag ik helemaal voor me. goed boekje voor tussendoor!
Eva Domínguez
Jan 06, 2015 Eva Domínguez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5. Uno de los pocos libros con los que me he redo sola... y no tan sola. Tiene unas cadas graciossimas, simplemente tan... NATURALES. Algn da me lo volver a leer. Sin duda alguna. ...more
Becky
Jun 22, 2009 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: 999-challenge
What a great book! Lara's story was funny, honest and entertaining. When I first picked up the book, I wasn't sure that I would like it. Green's writing reminded me of Jennifer Lancaster, but I love Lancaster so much that Green wasn't measuring up. But, as I got further into the story, I began to like it a lot more.

While the book was about Lara's pregnancy, it also focused on her job as a college counselor at a rich preppy school. I couldn't imagine working in that type of environment but really
Merredith
Mar 22, 2009 Merredith rated it it was amazing
Notes from the underbelly by risa green was a great, but quick book. If I had any reason to feel guilty about my pleasures, then chick lit would be a guilty pleasure. What I liked about this particular chick lit book was that it did not center around a man. Not that all of them do, but there are a great many that deal with finding or keeping the perfect guy. What is this book about? A 30 year old married woman who is a rich kids high school guidance counselor, whose husband pressures her into ge ...more
liz
Apr 26, 2007 liz rated it it was ok
Shelves: fun-slash-junk
Okay, so it's a new dimension of chick-lit for me... pregnant-chick-lit (no comment necessary). Sarcastic protagonist has one Pollyana best friend and another best friend who's more sarcastic than she is. She works as a high school guidance counselor, is ambivalent about having a baby, but since it'll basically make or break her marriage... goes for trying for a baby. The author is (surprise!) a high school guidance counselor who was ambivalent about having a baby with her husband, and then didn ...more
Kourtney
Sep 30, 2015 Kourtney rated it liked it
Keri
Sep 09, 2007 Keri rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
I really enjoyed the first half of this book. But then the main character started to annoy me in a Becky Bloomwood sort of way. The whole, "I'm not maternal" schtick got a bit old.

The book also took a turn for the superficial when the key turning points in her path to motherhood had to do with her being able to tolerate vomit and poop. It just got more inane from there. It probably also didn't help that I recently read Shopaholic and Baby and Baby Proof, both of which also have the reluctant mo
Michelle Sallay
More of a 3.5 stars read. I remember really liking the TV show of the same name. I watched it while expecting my first and I was totally freaked out and negative about the whole process of child growing.

I liked this book, however it is pretty sarcastic and negative. If someone has difficulty with getting pregnant and having a child I would strongly recommend staying away from this one. I think I would have related to this more if I was pregnant. Also, there isn't really much of a story. It is m
Rebecca
Aug 19, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Written from the perspective of a college counselor at a prep school, the main character named Lara finds out that she is pregnant and deals with all of the unknowns when having your own children. At first she doesn't believe that she has the "mommy gene" and is mad at her husband for talking her into having a child. As the book progresses Lara becomes more comfortable with children, and even potty trains a 2 year old. She grows within herself and finds out that maybe she just might be ready for ...more
Kate
Aug 17, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing
Omigoodness. I LOVED this book. Jason kept looking at me funny because I would laugh right out loud (which I don't usually do while reading.) Then he would make me read the "funny" part out loud, he wasn't as impressed. I guess we have totally different senses of humor... or he's NEVER been pregnant!

The library didn't own a copy and wouldn't buy one, but did borrow one from the Salt Lake County Library system for me to read. I really want to own it now though, so I can color out the bad words..
Brie Klein-fowler
Aug 03, 2011 Brie Klein-fowler rated it did not like it
At first I found this woman relatable, since I have a lot of the same reservations about being pregnant someday. However, the more I read, the more frustrated with her I became. She stayed selfish, materialistic, and way too hard on her husband. I was hoping that she would have some great moments of bonding with her baby or soften up at least a little, but not so much. The author's decision to end the storyline right before the birth only solidified that perspective. Pregnancy seemed an island, ...more
annelies
Oct 21, 2010 annelies rated it liked it
This book is basically pregnant chick-lit. If you think that might interest you, it's a fun quick, easy read. That said, the one thing that bothered me the most were the chapter titles, they tried to be witty and cute, but irked me at the start of every single chapter. This probably shouldn't bother me as much as it did, but I can't believe noone told the author how dumb they were. Also, the ending drove me crazy. I'm going to have to read the follow-up now though, Tails From the Crib, so it cou ...more
Angela
Jul 30, 2007 Angela rated it liked it
This book is being adapted into a television show. I'll give it a try. Hopefully I will get a chance to read it before seeing the tv show. I read her second book, Tales from the Crib, and thought it was pretty funny.

Now that I'm finished with the book I have to say that I enjoyed the TV series more. And I found her second book, Tales from the Crib, funnier than this one. The main character, Lara, is really mean and bitchy in Tales from the Underbelly. They softened up her character a bit for TV.
Elena
Jan 05, 2014 Elena rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, humor
Very reminiscent of Jen Lancaster's voice so if you are a fan of hers, you'll like this book. A fast, enjoyable read that made me laugh quite a few times. I didn't like that the protagonist was so mean though....granted she tries to redeem herself and sometimes comes off a little nicer, but I generally take issue with people (including fictional characters) who are nasty about other people's weight. This really annoys me. It also ended a bit abruptly, but there is a follow up.
Tina
May 19, 2009 Tina rated it really liked it
This book is laugh-out-loud funny. I can see why it was turned into a TV show. (I watched two episodes and the show was seriously lacking. It was cancelled shortly after it began.) The book breaks the so-called fourth window and has the narrator speak directly to the reader, which I love. Aside from one chapter that has some editing problems (using incorrect character names in a few places), it was awesome. Worth reading, and the sequel is going on my To Read list.
Michelle
Sep 11, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
I was drawn to this book because it's about a College Counselor at a prep school that's pregnant with her first baby, which I can currently relate to. Although the main character had her obnoxious moments and some aspects of her job were not realistic to me, I still enjoyed this light chick lit book and am looking forward to reading the next one. I did feel like the ending could have been better though, so I hope the author redeems herself in the next book.
Jen -only4lightn
May 29, 2008 Jen -only4lightn rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
I really enjoyed this book. It was an easy read, and while it wasnt really easy to like the main character, Lara, you definately rooted for her.

Even though she focused on all the negative aspects of pregnancy, her fears and thoughts are ones that certainly cross the minds of all first time mom's.

I found myself laughing throughout the book and would recommend this book to anyone that is looking for a quick and humorous read.
Karschtl
Habe das Buch gelesen, als ich selbst gerade schwanger war. Noch in einem recht frühen Stadium, so dass mir einige Dinge, die die Protagonistin durchlebte, noch bevorstanden.

Allerdings geht es gar nicht hauptsächlich nur um die Schwangerschaft, Lara arbeitet bis kurz vor der Geburt noch (in den USA völlig normal, bei uns undenkbar) und hat besonders mit einer Schülerin einige Troubles die es noch zu lösen gilt.
Roxanne
Aug 03, 2012 Roxanne rated it it was amazing
What a hilarious novel about pregnancy. Lara is a hip career woman who doesn’t want to have kids, but her husband, Andrew, is all for it. She gets pregnant to please him and then describes all the details of the pregnancy as she experiences it. The book is very “today”, and Lara is a hoot once one gets past her foul language. Any woman who has ever experienced pregnancy will love it. I laughed out loud!
Charity
Jun 13, 2007 Charity rated it really liked it
Lara Stone is pregnant and having a hard time adjusting. Everything that she swore wouldn't happen to her is happening. Wonderful, fast read!

*There are errors where the author refers to Lara's friend, Julie's husband by the wrong name several times which was somewhat distracting.

**Note: Plan to read Tales from the Crib after this selection or you will be left hanging.
Lisa
Jan 10, 2011 Lisa rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the tv series and expected the book to be equally funny. It was a cute read, but I never got over the feeling that the protagonist was really just too selfish to have a baby. Oddly enough, I'll probably pick up the sequel to see exactly how much of a train wreck she turns out to be.
Meredith
Jul 21, 2007 Meredith rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Sex in the City lovers
Eh. Not so good. A world of trendy fashion-conscious and vapid Los Angeles women, one of whom is "reluctantly pregnant." Lara is worried about being pregnant because she might get fat, like the time in college when she "ballooned up to a size 8." Spare me! Extremely unsatisfying ending.
Natasa Tovornik
Aug 03, 2011 Natasa Tovornik rated it it was amazing
Shelves: auto-biography
Hilarious although very LA styled book about a career-woman getting pregnant and totally not coping with it. A nice change from all the how-to-be-perfect books. I guess a lot of the thoughts are in many heads. Great metaphors, lots of laughs and fun read. Perfect for a lazy Sunday.
Jul 30, 2007 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This book was excellent. I can't wait to read the sequel- Tales from the Crib. (By the way, Risa Green is a genius for ending this book the way she did.) I don't think it would be possible for anyone to finish this book and NOT want to find out what happens next!
Christy
Apr 15, 2008 Christy rated it it was ok
I thought I would love this book since I enjoyed Tales from the Crib so much. Not so... I found this book to be way less interesting than the other. I don't care much for the tv series either, by the way! Do yourself a favor - read Tales from the Crib instead!
Lindsey
Feb 04, 2008 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: women in need of a good laugh
Recommended to Lindsey by: Tasha
This is totally a "Chick Lit" Book. I am reading lite stuff right now because my job is really intense so I can't focus on books that are too much. This book was a light read and very funny. I enjoyed the way the author writes and the main character is hillarious!
Ratforce
Notes from the Underbelly by Risa Green is the hilarious account of an LA high school guidance counselor who finds that pregnancy is not all she expected it to be. Fans of chick lit enjoy the quirky character and her honest assessment of her condition.
Karianne
Jul 10, 2009 Karianne rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I actually mailed a copy to Lisa b/c I think it a must read for pregnant ladies. It was laugh out loud funny. Again, the protaganist is OBSESSED with being thin which is annoying as hell but she is so funny I didn't care.
Jodi
Apr 14, 2009 Jodi rated it it was amazing
READ THIS BOOK! I found it for like a dolla' at a used book store back in 2004 and it is one of my favorites - it's so funny and a great brain break. Plus she's preggo and trying to deal with that so perhaps I should reread it! :)
  • From Here to Maternity
  • Diary of a Mad Mom-to-Be
  • The Baby Planner
  • The Manolo Matrix (Codebreaker Trilogy #2)
  • Mommy Tracked
  • Mommy by Mistake
  • Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother-to-be
  • Gucci Gucci Coo
  • 24-Karat Kids
  • The Nine Month Plan
  • The Fidelity Files (Jennifer Hunter, #1)
  • The Thin Pink Line (Jane Taylor, #1)
  • The Yummy Mummy
  • Play Dates
  • The Solomon Sisters Wise Up
  • The Yoga Mamas
  • Dixieland Sushi
  • The Babymoon
You would think that writing a bio would be an easy thing for a writer to do, but there’s not much that’s harder than trying to convey a sense of who you are in three lines or less. I’ve always admired those writers who are able to come up with hilarious little vignettes about their pets or their strange obsession with Cheetos, and yet, hard as I try, I just can’t find a way to make myself sound t ...more
More about Risa Green...

“...any guy can buy you flowers, but the one who buys you hemorrhoid cream must really, really love you.” 3 likes