Start by marking “Outside in the Teaching Machine” as Want to Read:
Outside in the Teaching Machine

Outside in the Teaching Machine

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  42 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
First published in 1993. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
Published September 20th 1993 by Routledge

To ask other readers questions about Outside in the Teaching Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outside in the Teaching Machine

Jared Colley
May 15, 2007 Jared Colley rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in Foucault, Postcolonialism, Literary/Critical Theory
I have always struggled with Spivak's work. Her post-deconstructionist tendencies towards skepticism and obscurantism both frustrate and challenge me as a thinker. Writers like Spivak - by the very method of their presentation -seem to repeatedly face certain inevitable contradictions and obstacles that doom their very criticisms to inefficacy. Terry Eagleton articulates this well when he writes:

"Post-colonial theory makes heavy weather of a respect for the Other, but its most immediate Other,
Luis
Mar 12, 2013 Luis rated it it was amazing
I could hardly spot a reason, but this is my favorite Spivak book. Maybe it is the style, often personal, far from academic writing. Maybe it is the themes, a good deal of post-colonial and post-structuralist criticism. Maybe it is just because the questions it brings about, but it has actually captured my mind since I first read it in 2008.
Yvonne
Oct 05, 2008 Yvonne is currently reading it
I just picked this up last night. I was really intrigued by her foreword, she describes the first chapter in the book as showing "the shift in my work from a 'strategic use of essentialism' to considerations of institutional agency that accompanied the explosion." She professes to not have been aware of her own use of strategic essentialism.

This book promises to think through that shift from (anti-) essentialism to agency.

I'm looking forward to reading this.
Jessica Bebenek
Sep 23, 2012 Jessica Bebenek rated it it was ok
Shelves: thesis
I only read chapter 9 (The Politics of Translation), but it was interesting and written in a surprisingly accessible tone for an academic book. More of a feminist interpretation than I had anticipated, but that seems to be the overall tone.
Vee
Vee marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
oiseau_blanc
oiseau_blanc marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Priscila Mendonça
Priscila Mendonça marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Divya Darshini
Divya Darshini marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Elsa Pixie-grin
Elsa Pixie-grin rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
Jabriel
Jabriel marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Mwakamui Iluya
Mwakamui Iluya marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Mariana
Mariana marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Mohammed Asiri
Mohammed Asiri marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Madalena Figueira
Madalena Figueira marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Heloise Cambonie
Heloise Cambonie marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Charles
Charles is currently reading it
Jul 15, 2015
Yingying Huang
Yingying Huang marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Niklas
Niklas rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
D.D.
D.D. marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Edona
Edona marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Idit Agam
Idit Agam rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2015
WillJ
WillJ marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak is an Indian philosopher who is known for her English translation of Jacque Derrida's seminal work "Of Grammatology", and her own philosophical writings on the postcolonial condition that introduced the term "subaltern" into the philosophical lexicon.
More about Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak...