Third Watch (A. D. Chronicles, Book 3)

Third Watch (A.D. Chronicles #3)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  1,096 ratings  ·  36 reviews
"Who do men say that I am?" Is Yeshua the Messiah? Then why won't Yeshua prove himself? And why does he leave his people to suffer? From the wilderness of Sinai in the south to Mount Hermon
Published September 1st 2004 by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Third Watch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Third Watch

Jill
Korby
Just finished it this weekend. I can't wait to read the fourth one in this series. I just LOVE this book. This series brought the people Jesus healed to life for me (although entirely fictional). It made me think, and changed my perspective on many things. The history and culture is rich in this book. Jesus loves so unconditionally.
Dyana
Lots of people were searching for Yeshua (Jesus) in this 3rd installment of the A.D. Chronicles series. They didn't recognize him for who he was, not even his own disciples. They were looking to be healed from afflictions, for a larger-than-life warrior King to rid them of their enemies and establish his kingdom here on earth. Because he looked like any ordinary man, they couldn't believe he was their Messiah. To help this misconception along Satan was always whispering in their ears a web of li...more
Amanda
"This is the story of the battle between The Truth and the Father of Lies. Each fought mightily for the souls of mankind. Those who witnessed the conflict firsthand could not comprehend how ancient this war was, nor what the outcome meant for generations yet to be born."

That essentially sums up this book. Jesus's "fame" is spreading, and the Enemy is trying harder and harder to prevent the Truth from triumphing over his lies. There are some new characters introduced in this book as well as some...more
Debra Johnsen
I love this book series. Obviously it is fictional but I love how it tries to fill in some possible details from the time Jesus walked on earth. It just brings the Bible to life for me and fills out some of the characters that we know very little about. One reviewer said it would be good for a new Christian but not a more learned one. I disagree. I have been a Christian for 49 years and have read the Bible through several times and I enjoyed it.
Josiah
(To be read after "Second Touch" and before "Fourth Dawn")

Third in a series of "books" written by historical fiction character Peniel, this story chronicles more of Jesus' works during his 3-year ministry in Israel. Main characters include Alexander, an apostate Jew with a demon-possessed son; Zahav, a disfigured woman and Torah scholar; Manaen, an apostate Jew and former ward of Herod Antipas; Susanna, Manaen's grieving love; and regulars Zadok, the Talmidim, and of course, Yeshua himself.

I'd...more
Mark Baker
Several stories of people who need a miracle are intertwined with the politics surrounding Yeshua in first century Israel. The result is a powerful look at God's mercy and love.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Becky
This one is about the father who comes to Jesus because his Son has an evil spirit in it. I learned how Jesus & Peter, James, John at the Mount of Transfiguration was paralleled when Moses went up to Mount Sinai with three followers. Also Wicked King Ahab and Queen Jezebel have counter parts with Herod Antipas & Herodias who asked for John the Baptist Head when her daughter danced for Herod and his men.
Monica
I am really enjoying this series as it follow Jesus through the last year of his ministries and the people he could have encountered. It is so interesting learning about the Jewish tradition and the symbolism, parallisms and prophesies that are interwoven throughout the whole Bible all pointing to the Messiah. The authors do a wonderful job bringing characters in the Bible to life!
Amanda
"Everything means something." Through the storyline, this book explained such truths as how the original Hebrew of the Bible tells about Jesus in the Hebrews' Ark of the Covenant. I love learning the "secrets" of the Bible, how everything points to Jesus, in ways that we don't even know about. The Bible comes to life in amazing ways through the books in this series.
Jeans77
I just picked this one off the shelf at the library, and it was much better than I expected. Based during the time right before Christ was crucified, it tells a number of stories of people who met Jesus and were healed. The characters were really unique and memorable and I would definitely recommend it to others.
Wayne C Anderson
The third of this series and another winner by Bodie Thoene. She keeps delivering the reader those great perspectives of people's lives and what they could have been like as they came in touch with the Master. His hand reaches out and touches lives and everything changes... I'm on to the 4th book now...
Lydia
I liked this book but didn't feel like I just couldn't put it down. It's part of a series on Jesus' time. I really enjoyed the characters' individual stories of struggles (all sorts) and hope in Jesus (even those who did not believe him to necessarily be the Savior).
Jeni Enjaian
At this point all the books seem to run together. Between finishing this book and writing the review I've read the fourth book and am almost done with the fifth. I like this series but it's got some flaws that are becoming more evident the more I read.
Tiff Miller
The first book in this series was fantastic. It's getting a little less so I as I move along.

I think there's too much fictionalizing of some real-life characters, and some of the believability has left. Hanging in there, though, to see if it comes back.
Sheila
Loved it, of course. It was such a good story. The story of the characters' lives made me laugh and made me cry. There were parts of this book that were so heart wrenching, but also so uplifting at other times. Really enjoyed this one.
Lynette Massey
Compared to the first two in the series, this one was just way harder to read. It took me so long and it just didn't have as strong a story line, so I found for myself, anyway.
Karen
What can I say - it was great. Love the authenticity and the storylines in the Thoenes' books. Particularly liked the interaction between Zahav and Alexander in this book.
Lauri
I am really enjoying this book. I particularly like the scenes between Mary and Jesus; they show the love and respect and even a sense of humor between them.
Nancy
This is the 3rd book in the AD Chronicles and was the best so far. It is fiction but very uses many scriptural references and is accurate historically.
Karen
Continuing to enjoy this series. The historical background adds so much more to the biblical accounts & fills in what else was happening at the time.
Meadow
I LOVE this series. The new charaters added in this book is Alexander and his son Hero, and a Jew, Zahav who must help them find Yeshua.
Michael
I Love these! Cant wait to read the next book. Yahshua is brought to life in an amazing way that makes my heart sing.
Maria
Loved this book! Well written. I enjoyed the mix of true history, Bible and romance! Learned a lot too!
Rhonda Martin
Another "can't wait to see how it ends" tale of gripping characters needing to find the Messiah.
Chrissy
By now you're very vested in the characters and plots and can't put the series down!
Audrey
Didn't like it as much as 1 and 2 but it was still very good!
Kathy
1st book people plus Alexander and Hero and Zahav (demons)
Msmithclan
Really great book. Peniel is a great character.
Tammy
These do tend to grow on you...
  • The Eleventh Hour (Secret of the Rose #1)
  • Song of Redemption (Chronicles of the Kings, #2)
  • The Hidden Flame (Acts of Faith, #2)
  • Passage Into Light (The Russians, #7)
  • While Mortals Sleep
  • The Warrior: Caleb (Sons of Encouragement, #2)
  • How Do I Love Thee? (Ladies of History #4)
  • The Last Sacrifice
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E...more
More about Bodie Thoene...
Vienna Prelude (Zion Covenant, #1) Munich Signature (Zion Covenant, #3) Prague Counterpoint (Zion Covenant, #2) Jerusalem Interlude (Zion Covenant, #4) Danzig Passage (Zion Covenant, #5)