Start by marking “Baby Laughs: The Naked Truth About the First Year of Mommyhood” as Want to Read:
Baby Laughs: The Naked Truth About the First Year of Mommyhood

Baby Laughs: The Naked Truth About the First Year of Mommyhood

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,046 Ratings  ·  398 Reviews
Jenny McCarthy’s hilarious, no-holds-barred personality has made her an instantly recognizable TV personality and a bestselling author. InBaby Laughsshe examines the full range of challenges that new mothers face, including:
* The humiliations of postnatal “numbing spray,” Tucks medicated pads, and adult diapers; jelly belly, balding, and gum disease; and becoming a “five-
Published April 4th 2006 by Plume (first published April 21st 2005)

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingL.A. Candy by Lauren ConradElixir by Hilary DuffThe Truth About Diamonds by Nicole RichiesTORI Telling by Tori Spelling
Celebrity Books
39th out of 144 books — 73 voters
Nanny and Me by Florence Ann RomanoWhat's Behind Your Belly Button? A Psychological Perspective ... by Martha Char LoveClotho's Loom by Shawn StJeanPregnancy and Men by Pratik PatilBelly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy
Mommy Must-Reads
7th out of 105 books — 103 voters

More lists with this book...

Jun 02, 2008 Laura rated it did not like it
Shelves: baby-stuff
I lost IQ points reading the first half of this book. I did make myself read the second half because I spend $12 on it, and it got a little better because she seemed to get over the fact that yes, babies poop. I still felt IQ points running out of my ears, though. If you have the attention span of a 3 year old but feel like you want an idea of what having a baby will be like, this is the book for you. If your reading level has surpassed the 4th grade and your sense of humor is slightly more soph ...more
Kendra
Nov 07, 2008 Kendra rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All new parents, or soon to-be parents
Shelves: pregnancy-baby
I enjoyed this book- but not as much as I enjoyed "Belly Laughs". I am not sure if its because her inital bluntness and tone were a novelty in the first one that wore off by the time the second one came around.

She certainly told some humorous tales of mommyhood- some of which I've already experienced with a newborn and others I'm sure are in my near future. I do enjoy her truth be told attitude and not sugar coating the hard parts of raising a baby.
Stephanie
Sep 17, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

This book about the first year of motherhood was a lot of fun, just like her first one, Belly Laughs (which was about pregnancy). It was funny, honest, and down to earth. I think I liked Belly Laughs just a smidge better, but they were both excellent, humorous, and worth the read. I'd definitely like to read Jenny's other books now, and recommend both of these ones to pregnant women and mothers.
Jen
Feb 06, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it
I will read anything by Jenny McCarthy. She has a way of relating to the reader that is just wonderful. She's humorous and touching. In the sea of books filled with overwhelming knowledge, this is a great read that will make you laugh and make you feel not so alone in all of the craziness of motherhood.
Terrie Coats
Apr 01, 2008 Terrie Coats rated it it was amazing
It's as funny or funnier than the first installment about pregnancy and childbirth. Hey, if you can't look at mommyhood and laugh, you'll find it tough in my opinion being a parent. This book keeps it real and will put you in stitches!
Brianna (The Book Vixen)
She's funny, blunt and truthful.
Ciara
jenny mccarthy has a baby & tells you all about it. in some ways, jenny mccarthy is kind of the perfect person to write about pregnancy & parenting because there are so many questionable body fluids & swellings & leakings & such forth involved, & you know she loves that stuff. jenny mccarthy never met an exploding diaper story she didn't love. but if that kind of thing doesn't exactly appeal to your sense of wit, most of the jokes are not going to land.

there's nothing neg
Shannon
Jul 03, 2012 Shannon rated it it was ok
As you know, I was surprised to enjoy Ms. McCarthy's first book, Belly Laughs (see review: Belly Laughs: The naked truth about pregnancy and childbirth ). When I stumbled up on her newest tome at the library, I was pretty excited for another fun, easy read.

Unfortunately, Jenny seems to have decided that if her books are actually reaching the masses, as Belly Laughs did, she better put in some actual advice into them. Where her first book skewered all of the funny parts of being pregnant, this o
Lisa
Sep 08, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting, memoir
(Memoir - Motherhood) Please don't judge me. Yes, I know she was a playmate. But I loved her as a host on MTV's Single Out (even though I may have been the only viewer) and I loved her in the Jenny McCarthy Show (very funny stuff ladies and gents!). She had me when she said that when she has a day off, her favorite thing to do is sleep. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a fierce napper. Oh yes, we're still discussing her book. Because I read it so long ago, I don't remember details, but I rem ...more
Stacey
Nov 24, 2010 Stacey rated it did not like it
I liked this less than Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth About Pregnancy and Childbirth. I think that she should have stuck to more funny stories and included less advice. It seemed like every chapter was about advice for new moms and a lot of that advice contradicted the things I have read or learned. (It could just be that the information is outdated since the book is now 5 years old, but it was distracting. It seemed like Jenny went through her pregnancy, etc, without having ever read any other b ...more
Sammantha
Nov 06, 2014 Sammantha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Expecting mothers, First year mothers
Shelves: self-help, pregnancy
I really enjoyed this book by Jenny. She writes her book expressing her experiences about her first year with her child.She connects with the reader in a down to earth way that makes you feel like a friend talking to you and sharing her story. One of the things I did enjoy in this book was her humor. I laughed throughout this book. I even shared some of the funny bits with my fiance :) He got a laugh as well. This may not be everyone's cup of tea but I thought it was a good book! I'm expecting m ...more
Stephanie
Jun 01, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since Jenny is so famously frank, she made this book funny and very honest. It's shocking that other well-known baby books don't tell you these things. If you want to know all the HORRIBLE things that will happen to you during and after giving birth, you should read this book. Or if you had a disaster with your baby and wonder if it's just you...read this book. Jenny probably had the same issue. REALLY FUNNY. A quick read.
Bianca
Mar 02, 2009 Bianca rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone expecting or who has a new baby
Another cute, funny, quick read from Jenny McCarthy about the first year of mommyhood. Insightful and honest about a lot of the things you think but don't always talk about and questions you have but a lot of the times don't have the nerve to ask others...Although I couldn't help thinking about the fact that she's no longer with her then husband while reading a lot of the book, but I digress, still a great little book.
Carla
Jan 29, 2009 Carla rated it it was ok
Jenny McCarthy is not a writer so go in with appropriate expectations. Although I don't think her experiences apply to all, as a new mother I found myself chuckling because I could relate to her surprise and anxiety with each newborn experience. This is a super quick read -- perfect for new moms -- I recommend it to other new moms.
Natali
May 15, 2010 Natali rated it really liked it
This is not high intellect reading but it does what it sets out to do: makes you laugh when you are facing the oh-so-daunting job of motherhood. Sure, McCarthy is full of superlatives but this is a comedy that is supposed to help you expect the unexpected. In spite of all the melodrama, I actually did learn from this book.
Christine
Feb 24, 2009 Christine rated it really liked it
This book was such a fun and easy read. I actually read it while nursing Brady in the middle of the night- just a few chapters at a time. It was really funny and I could definitely relate to the things Jenny discussed as a new Mom. I would recommend this for any new Mom- a great shower gift!
Muttix
May 09, 2008 Muttix rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Absolutely no one.
I absolutely hated this book. I read through the entire thing but only because it is terribly hard for me to put aside a book without finishing it. However, I would never read this book ever again and I wish I'd read a review like this before I wasted my time reading this drivel.
Autumn Bartels
Apr 03, 2014 Autumn Bartels rated it it was amazing
This is a is such a great book for laughs. My husband is even reading it now. If your expecting I recommended her books, they are quick easy reads packed with tons of great information that most people/books/blogs/etc don't bother to tell you.
Leanne Britt
Mar 27, 2013 Leanne Britt rated it it was ok
Meh. It made me laugh at times. Didn't do too much for me though. It's a quick read
Mona
Jul 01, 2013 Mona rated it it was amazing
Great book! Very funny & all true :)
Kelli
May 06, 2011 Kelli rated it liked it
loved McCarthy's pregnancy book: Belly Laughs, so I was really looking forward to reading about her first year of motherhood. Baby Laughs didn't have as many laugh-out-loud moments for me as Belly Laughs did, but I still really enjoyed it.

Two weeks after finishing Baby Laughs, I find myself quoting sections of it to my mom or husband, and saying things like, "it took Jenny McCarthy one year to lose her baby weight, so I shouldn't expect to lose mine in the first two months," and "Jenny McCarthy
Ariela
Nov 07, 2009 Ariela rated it liked it
The chapter on Jenny's delivery completely freaked me out. From an emergency c-section to recovering, alone, in a room full of gunshot wound victims, her birth story was so horrible that I found myself wondering if this really, truly happened to her or if she compiled the worst birth stories she'd heard into a fictionalized account about herself. After reading this section I couldn't pick up the book again for a few days. Finally my husband talked me into finishing it, pointing out that the birt ...more
Kimberly
In Baby Laughs Jenny leads us through her first year of motherhood in her typical true to form raunchy way. From the ups and downs of bringing her little bundle of joy home to battling post partum depression to changing her baby's diapers she used her unique sense of humour to tell her story.

While this isn't the typical memoir we do get a unique glimpse into the life and times of a Hollywood mom and even though she may not be one of those in your face celebrities who appear in magazines every we
carissa
Jenny McCarthy’s hilarious, no-holds-barred personality has made her an instantly recognizable TV personality and a bestselling author. In Baby Laughs she examines the full range of challenges that new mothers face, including:
• The humiliations of postnatal "numbing spray," Tucks medicated pads, and adult diapers; jelly belly, balding, and gum disease; and becoming a "five-foot puke rag" for the baby
• Heart-stopping terrors, such as baby manicures, breathing checks, and burp failures
• Inadequaci
Anne
Dec 15, 2011 Anne rated it did not like it
This book is absolutely terrible. While there are some nuggets of potentially helpful information for new moms and maybe a line or two that brought a little chuckle, for the most part McCarthy seems to be trying to hard to be glib in the hopes of getting a laugh or two at her own expense. This quick read is McCarthy's perspective on being a new mom to her little boy, Evan. She goes on and on about his development, labasting competitive moms (which I did appreciate) and speaking frequently about ...more
Claudine Wolk
Jul 18, 2012 Claudine Wolk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mommy-books
Written with the humor and honesty that Jenny McCarthy is famous for, "Baby Laughs" does not disappoint. The book covers all of those subjects that new moms are thinking about, but don't dare ask about in public. Whether its concerning the aftermath of birth, "will it really snap back in to place?", how to handle the umbilical cord, when will my body get back into shape, resuming a sex life, or coping with other "super mommy's", Jenny writes about it all with candor and humor. New moms will know ...more
Amy
Oct 26, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
She's not the smartest tool in the tree but she's real and comfortable with herself. A quick, entertaining read about her experiences during her son's first year. Although she has a funny outlook on things, she doesn't tell me anything on parenting that I haven't already read in a book. I'm always sad to see how many good things people have to say about their husbands to find out later that they've divorced. It's strange to see it eternally written in print.
Lani
Aug 11, 2008 Lani rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Caryl
If you can stomach Jenny's crude and in-your-face observations this is worth a read for new moms or soon to be new moms.

I wouldn't say I agree with everything she says, nor did I laugh at every joke, but I do appreciate her up-front reality check.

I have to admit to a personal weak spot for her since Singled Out, but I also respect her for her willingness to be herself in an industry where that can (and, I think it has for Jenny) really impact your career prospects. She also has done a lot for au
Sharon
Apr 12, 2016 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Honesty and personality is what made me give this book four stars. She does not sugar coat anything, and has a funny way of describing her experiences, at least to me. I'm very laid back and not too conservative, so I enjoyed having a laugh with her stories, specially as I could relate to so many of them when I read it, right after having my first child. It's a fun, quick read.
Melony Menocal
Apr 18, 2014 Melony Menocal rated it really liked it
This is the second book I've read from Jenny and it was even better than the first. It's so fun to hear all the funny and interesting situations that she goes through. The best thing about this book is that you don't stop laughing. For me, this book was my guilty pleasure. There were times I would laugh out loud and my husband would be looking at me funny. A must read!
  • The Girlfriends' Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood
  • Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay: And Other Things I Had to Learn as a New Mom
  • Pregnancy Sucks: What to Do When Your Miracle Makes You Miserable
  • Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on Baby Furinture, Equipment, Clothes, Toys, Maternity Wear and Much, Much More!
  • What to Expect the First Year (What to Expect)
  • Your Pregnancy Week by Week
  • Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5
  • The Second Nine Months: One Woman Tells the Real Truth about Becoming a Mom. Finally.
  • Babyhood
  • Mommywood
  • I'd Trade My Husband for a Housekeeper: Loving Your Marriage after the Baby Carriage
  • Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother-to-be
  • True Mom Confessions: Real Moms Get Real
  • The Three-Martini Playdate: A Practical Guide to Happy Parenting
  • Bad Bridesmaid: Bachelorette Brawls and Taffeta Tantrums--Tales from the Front Lines
  • Just Let Me Lie Down: Necessary Terms for the Half-Insane Working Mom
  • The Diaper Diaries: The Real Poop on a New Mom's First Year
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion
Jennifer McCarthy is an American model, comedian, actress and author. She first appeared in Playboy magazine in October 1993 and was named Playmate of the Year in its June 1994 issue. She later began a career in television and film and has recently started writing books dealing largely with her pregnancy and motherhood of a child with autism.
More about Jenny McCarthy...