Start by marking “Monsters Under Your Head” as Want to Read:
Monsters Under Your Head

Monsters Under Your Head

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  111 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Monsters Under Your Head is a poetry book about life in the words of someone who's just as lost in it as you.
Paperback, First Edition, 96 pages
Published June 10th 2008

To ask other readers questions about Monsters Under Your Head, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monsters Under Your Head

Cristina
Jan 02, 2015 Cristina rated it it was amazing
Chad's words always had a strong impact on me.
I remember crying my eyes out the first time I heard technicolor eyes on Myspace. It was back in 2007, i was 13 and I just knew Chad as Backseat Goodbye.
More than seven years later (I'm not even sure Myspace is still a thing) I get to read this book for the first time, after wanting to for a long time.
I cried my eyes out.

If you ever get to read these words, thank you Chad. The world needs more people like you.
Michelle Tedford
Aug 14, 2011 Michelle Tedford rated it it was amazing
Chad Sugg, how do I even put his poetry into words? I was at my friends house talking about Charles Bukowski, and how he's about my favorite poet and she just throws "Monsters Under Your Head" at me. I was completely engrossed with the book. "Still Life" is beautiful and just connects with me entirely. Chad Sugg's poetry, is so beautiful that it is simplistic, He doesn't need to use big vocabulary to paint a picture in my mind and get a point across.
Elizabeth
Sugg is a young poet and that shows in this book. At times, the poetry is perfect, but at other moments there are four lines where only the third line and its perfect metaphor are needed. I very much enjoyed this collection and look forward to Sugg's future work. I have no doubt he will continue to grow as a poet. And I agree with him when he says, "It's February and I just want April"!!

This passage is worth the price of the book (and isn't the only one like this, by the way):

if you're reading t
tara kleponis
May 14, 2015 tara kleponis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I looooooove poetry, especially prose and random midnight thoughts, which happened to be very prominent in Chad's compilation. I enjoyed his work, though it isn't a favorite of mine.
Lindsay Pound
There's some really good lines here and there, but as a whole I found it to be a lot of nonsensical ramblings.
Kelly Rivera-
Mar 19, 2015 Kelly Rivera- rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazming! Love it :)
Gabriel
Jan 28, 2014 Gabriel rated it it was ok
I didn't read this in 2014; I was rid of it a number of years ago. There are some good lines in the book (you all have probably seen it floating around tumblr, Pinterest, Twitter, etc. about being alive). Overall, though, it's lacking. Pretty much as a whole. Read worthwhile authors like Anis Mojgani, Buddy Wakefield, Billy Collins, or Andrea Gibson. For now, give this kid some time to grow
Lucy Stanton
Feb 03, 2015 Lucy Stanton rated it liked it
I thought it was good, and the poems were alright, but I did not relate to them. There were a few lines that I could relate to, but other than that nothing really. It was good, but not amazing.
Katherine Merrick
One of the best books I've read. Chad Sugg has a fantastic way with words. I would recommend this book to anyone who has the ability to read. The only problem was it was extremely hard to come across.
Mita
Mita marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Holly Golightly
Holly Golightly marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
A
A marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Arpita Das
Arpita Das marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Ale
Ale rated it it was amazing
Aysu
Aysu marked it as to-read
Breanna
Breanna marked it as to-read
Mlle
Mlle marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Nadia Knegt
Nadia Knegt marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Murad Husain
Murad Husain marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Caroline Phillips
Caroline Phillips marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Kristiāna Indāne
Kristiāna Indāne marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Lorenick88
Lorenick88 marked it as to-read
Parnian
Parnian marked it as to-read
Ingvild
Ingvild marked it as to-read
Monanona
Monanona marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Regan
Regan marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Grumpy_m
Grumpy_m marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
  • How To Live Forever
  • a million bears
  • Are You a Jackie or a Marilyn?: Timeless Lessons on Love, Power, and Style
  • Our Lady of the Ruins
  • The World is Round (Little Barefoot Books)
  • The Lost Legends of New Jersey
  • What We Keep Is Not Always What Will Stay
  • Pictures & Tears: A History of People Who Have Cried in Front of Paintings
  • Hiding Out
1934928
Chad Sugg's first poetry book, Monsters Under Your Head, is often quoted to great lengths since its release thanks to the internet age. The book is one of two self-published poetry collections Chad has released over the past half-decade.

Chad was able to launch his poetry from the success of his musical career, where since 2004 he has been releasing original music under the moniker Backseat Goodbye
More about Chad Sugg...

“If you're reading this...
Congratulations, you're alive.
If that's not something to smile about,
then I don't know what is.”
6365 likes