Start by marking “Brazen Angel” as Want to Read:
Brazen Angel

Brazen Angel (Brazen #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  328 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Giles Corliss, Lord of Trahern, races through the streets after the sapphire-eyed Brazen Angel, determined to catch London's most audacious thief. Unknown to the lord, the masked mistress leads a double life as the beautiful, fragile Lady Sophia d'Artiers...Giles' intended.

From the Paperback edition.
Published July 7th 1997 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about Brazen Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brazen Angel

Books&Friends
Both Giles and Sophia are spies and in this story often cross the channel between England and France during the French Revolution. Well lets say, given the difficulties of traveling at that time,made this part of the story highly unrealistic. Basically the revolution is wallpaper to this character driven book. The true gritty details of that time were glossed over and the language was modernistic. Probably not for those who like authentic historical novels.
BUT when the author offered occasional
Barbara
Great story set in the French Revolution era when Fouche and Rospierre were in power. Sophia is from an aristocratic family who are going to Madame Guillotine any day. Giles is a British agent seeking to find out who betrayed another agent, Webb. Little does he know that his betrothed (arranged by his father before his death) is Sophia. Meanwhile she is stealing from English aristocrats to raise enough money to free her family. It is a dagerous path for her-a long ago lover complicates everythin ...more
Lynne Tull
A trilogy of suspense...Brazen Angel was a little too brazen for me. This story takes place during the French Revolution and involves a lot of daring rescues. Since this is a 'Romance' novel, I knew all would end well. It was a complete fantasy. I could never convince myself that the heroine could have been so 'brazen' during that time period of history. Hoping for something better in the next book "Brazen Heiress"...which takes place in Russia during the reign of Catherine the Great. hmmmm?
Doreen
This book carries you along. After you've finished it, you might think that there are one or two flaws in the plot; nevertheless, and in spite of sometimes getting a bit cross with the heroine for never confiding in the hero, it's a good read, and I always make extra allowances for first published books by an author I like.
Manvir
Lady Sophia d'Artiers disguised as the Brazen Angel seduces and steals from wealthy nobles. The Marquess of Trahern, Giles Corliss, is determined to find out the true identity of this brazen thief. (Honestly I feel that sums up the plot and everything else was just padding)

It started off good but I found this book to be kinda slow and boring. I didn't like any of the characters much. Didn't see any real passion let alone love between Sophia and Giles. The 'larger' story about the french revoluti
Ladyvixen
J'ai trouvé cette histoire superbement bien écrite et émouvante.
Caroline
Yet another established author who escaped my notice until I read two or three starred reviews in Publishers Weekly. I decided to start with her debut novel, published nearly 15 years ago.

The awards Brazen Angel garnered were well deserved. An intricately crafted and carefully paced romantic adventure set against the background of the French Revolution. A talented government agent is pitted against a high-class female thief known as the Brazen Angel, who preys on wealthy aristocrats at masked ba
Linda
hmm... I was really excited about this but felt disappointed by the end. I love seduction and secret identities and should've loved this -- it did start out strong -- but I felt like much of the excitement fizzled out by the end. too bad.
Maggi Hesseling
I love a good spy novel. With lots of intrigue and terror. In probably one of the scariest moments of French history, this novel uses the back drop to show how fleeting life is, and how important love is in these circumstances. The Brazen Angel, though a thief, becomes heroic- a robin hood figure, which creates a tempting and diverting read. Each page brings a new smile.
Michele Lacroix
I haven't read Elizabeth Boyle in a long time and forgot how much I really enjoyed her.
Tory Michaels
Being an Elizabeth Boyle fan, I dove into this book with a great deal enthusiasm, though I did know it was her first (I learned about it through her newsletter). It was a bit tame, though I have to say I loved it being set during the French Revolution, rather than the more traditional Regency period. The characters were great and I have to say I'm looking forward to reading the second book, with Sophia's sister Lily and Webb (both minor characters from Brazen Angel).
Cherie
This is an exciting story. Too much for me. I don't tend to like the French Revolution as it was too violent so the suspense was more than I bargained for. That being said, it was a good story and I liked the back and forth between Giles and Sophia. Once he knew exactly who she was the tone changed as he became even more possessive and protective.

I would love to read Webb's story which is next but will pass.
Linda Block
Valeri29 McConnell
I liked this one better than the second one. Still, it wasn't my favorite romance novel ever. Once the story moved to Revolutionary France, I lost a lot of interest.
Leslie
One of the best books I've read in a good while. I totally loved the characters. I look forward to reading the other two in this trilogy.
adoree
Une belle régence avec de beaux héros. Une petite intrigue pas mal ficelée. Bref, un bon moment de lecture.
Melissa Porter
Did not get disappointed. Loved the story. Elizabeth Boyle knows how to hook a reader and keep them hooked.
Nadine Jones
99 cents at Amazon right now + French Revolutionary spies! = yeah I bought it ...
Gerri
Not as good as the first book. But will eventually read the other.
Kathy
I think I"ve read this before didn't finish the 2nd time
Jewel
Aug 20, 2012 Jewel marked it as maybe  ·  review of another edition
Entire trilogy for 6.99 on kindle?
angie
yum yum....lmyn seru
Gayle
Gayle marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Nh
Nh added it
May 22, 2015
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Michele Stewart
Michele Stewart marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
  • Master of My Dreams (Heros of the Sea, #1)
  • A Notorious Love (Swanlea Spinsters, #2)
  • The Earl's Scandalous Wife (Marriage by Scandal: Book 4)
  • The Lady in Question (Effingtons, #7)
  • The Marriage Wager
  • Shadow Dance
  • Unladylike Pursuits
  • Every Scandalous Secret (Scandalous Lady, #3)
  • The Devil to Pay (MacLachlan Family, #1)
  • Longing
  • The Lily And The Sword (Medieval, #1)
  • The Rogue and the Hellion (Rogue Trilogy #1)
19842
Elizabeth Boyle was an antipiracy paralegal for Microsoft before settling down to write full-time. Her first novel, Brazen Angel, which won Dell's Diamond Debut Award in 1996, also won the Romance Writers of America's RITA Award for Best First Book, and was a finalist for Best Long Historical Romance. She lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington. She is also the author of Brazen Heiress.
More about Elizabeth Boyle...

Brazen (3 books)
  • Brazen Heiress (Brazen, #2)
  • Brazen Temptress (Brazen, #3)
Love Letters From a Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #3) Something About Emmaline (Bachelor Chronicles, #1) Confessions of a Little Black Gown (Bachelor Chronicles, #4) Along Came a Duke (Rhymes With Love, #1) And the Miss Ran Away With The Rake (Rhymes With Love, #2)