A Concise Guide to Macroeconomics: What Managers, Executives, And Students Need To Know

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Now more than ever before, executives and managers need to understand their larger economic context. In A Concise Guide to Macroeconomics, David Moss leverages his many years of teaching experience at Harvard Business School to lay out important macroeconomic concepts in engaging, clear, and concise terms. In a simple and intuitive way, he breaks down the ideas into “outpu...more
Published July 1st 2007 by Harvard Business Review Press

To ask other readers questions about A Concise Guide to Macroeconomics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Concise Guide to Macroeconomics

Steven
The title for this book is very appropriate. I read it because I have a very simple understanding of economics and felt I could use more information on the subject. Macroeconomics in particular are of interest and this book clearly and succinctly explains the basic principles behind macroeconomic theory. It doesn't delve into editorializing and steers clear of employment theory, theories on economic growth and other issues. It basically just explains what each concept means, without addressing,...more
Vincent
"Concise" is key here. This is not, nor is it intended to be a detailed examination of the subject matter. It is an excellent, brief, overview of macroeconomics. It is not a compelling read, but it's fast and easy to follow. The primary principals of macroeconomics are covered and well explained.

As the book's own summary tells you, knowing and understanding the principals presented in the book may not make it any easier to prognosticate, but it will let you know when economies are deviating from...more
K. Euler
An extraordinarily helpful primer to an understanding of macroeconomics. It makes use of concrete examples to elucidate the theory and comes with a fairly comprehensive glossary of terms defined in the back.
Kenyon Harbison
With all that is going on in the economy today, and with worries about monetary policy, etc., I wanted to brush up on my basic macroeconomics, so I checked this book out at the library. It served my purposes perfectly. It covers the major basic macroeconomic principles (components of GDP, nominal and real interest rates, comparative advantage, etc., etc.) in clear prose that...ahem...does not sound like it was written by an economist. Very readable. Short. It skips the equations and explains eve...more
Evelyn
Actually, I'm very proud of myself. Only 25% of this book went straight over my head.

Because I want to work in finance, a knowledge of macroeconomics is a necessity, and this book was, as the title would suggest, concise and clear. Perhaps if I reread it a few times I would understand better, but as it is I had to return it to the library. This book is highly recommended to anyone who is interested in finance but lacks the patience to slog through a thick book. Highly readable - if an eighth gra...more
Ricardo Cardoso
Clear and simple sketch about the mechanics of Macroeconomics! Very useful to get basic notions!
Justin Jaeger
Aug 07, 2012 Justin Jaeger rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Economics Novices
Recommended to Justin by: Willamette University
"Concise" is totally accurate, and in a good way. It was a great initial resource for the Finance and Macroeconomics course in my MBA program. It's written in enough of a spoken style to keep a naive novice like myself interested and doesn't bother with the fluff that gets all of us to roll our eyes. We only read the first half for the course, but I'll hang onto it and run through the rest if and when it becomes applicable in my new life.
Brian Keller
Macroeconomics texts may never make the NY Times Bestseller list, but this was a very informative and accessible explanation of the topic. If you have an interest in understanding the basics of fiscal and monetary policy (or just want to know the difference between the two), and are tired of listening to the politicians spouting their party's line, I'd recommend picking up a copy of this book.
Audra
Jun 12, 2013 Audra rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I wish I had read this book when I was studying macroeconomics in university, I probably would have understood the bigger picture much faster. What I appreciated the most about the book is that it boils down relatively complex concepts to their core ideas and provides you with the basics in a way that is still insightful. This was an enjoyable read.
Vince
A handy introduction to the main concepts of Macroeconomics. Moss frames the topic around Money, Expectations, Nominal vs Real, Actual vs Potential, and Output (GDP). He avoids the ideological morass of supply-side vs demand-side and instead focuses on helping the reader make sense of current macroeconomic discussions (media, the Fed, etc...).
Greg
While not too long, it's a decent introduction to macroeconomics, I suppose. It was a little difficult because it's so dense, but I have not had any exposure to the material before. It's probably not worth the $25 cover price - find it in a library, it can be a quick read (although maybe that just means I should spent more time with it!).
Leann
This is really essential reading for anyone who wants to truly understand the complexities of national economies and international trade. You'll feel much more informed when reading the news and listening to politicians debate. Moss clearly communicates complex economic concepts in a way that makes you want to keep reading.
Nikhil Baid
As the name suggests it is really a very concise guide , however definitely recommended for any non finance guy who may usually get a shock on reading about these topics from some other heavy books. This book provides a very basic understanding, enough for a layman to know . All in all a good read . Finishes pretty quick :)
Harry
If only this had been included in my reading list. Concise, it definitely is, but it provides a good base from which to spring. Potentially complex ideas are explained simply, and a comprehensive glossary will keep you flicking through as and when required. Highly recommend.
Christina
I read this book as a suppliment to my Global Macroeconomics course and I think that it is a very well-written, simple and concise guide to macroeconomic principles that every businessperson should read.
Klenk
I'll be honest, I didn't read every page of this book. But the inside cover tells me "KNOW THE GROUND RULES for the global economy." and I'll be honest, I'm not sure that I got a better picture.
Dalin
A good primer that helped me fill in the gaps here and there. If you follow economic news in any depth you might find it a bit basic sometimes, but overall quite useful.
Monta
Good brush-up on monetary policy. Short and easy to read. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants an overview of macroeconomics.
rachelm
Making up for deficiencies in my education. Suffice to say that the title was an accurate representation of the book.
Christofer Garner
Preparatory reading for the Business, Government & the International Economy course next semester.
Eric
Dec 07, 2008 Eric added it
Very good so far, on the same lines in quality as Naked in explaining the concepts. Great examples.
Elinor
One of the most accessible books on economic theory that I have ever read.
Andrew
B
B marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Robert Tarczy
Robert Tarczy marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
When All Else Fails: Government as the Ultimate Risk Manager New Perspectives on Regulation Concise Guide to Macroeconomics: What Managers, Executives, and Students Need to Know A Concise Guide to Macroeconomics, Second Edition: What Managers, Executives, and Students Need to Know En innføring i makroøkonomi