Start by marking “Muhammad: Kisah Hidup Nabi Berdasarkan Sumber Klasik” as Want to Read:
Muhammad: Kisah Hidup Nabi Berdasarkan Sumber Klasik

Muhammad: Kisah Hidup Nabi Berdasarkan Sumber Klasik

4.55  ·  Rating Details ·  6,550 Ratings  ·  302 Reviews
Buku yang ditulis oleh Martin Lings (Abu Bakr Siraj Ad-Din) seorang pria kelahiran Burnage, Lancasire tanggal 24 Januari 1909 ini mengisahkan sejarah kehidupan Muhammad bin Abdullah dalam menyebarkan agama Islam.

Edisi asli-nya ditulis dalam bahasa Inggris dan pernah mendapatkan penghargaan dari Universitas Al Azhar Mesir. Mungkin hanya Muhammad saja seorang nabi/rasul yang
Published 2002 by Serambi (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Muhammad, please sign up.

Anti Wibawa
Mar 29, 2008 Anti Wibawa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who love Muhammad saw
Shelves: biography-memoir
i had read 3 of similar books, one of those was written by karen amstrong. however, after reading this book, i found my love for Muhammad saw, he is my true love. while reading it, i felt so close to him. i cried on some chapters. i read this book within 3 days.
Tim
Like Abraham, Moses and Jesus before him, the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.) came to unite not divide. From one vantage point the religion known as Islam is an evolution, culmination or perfection of expression regarding the One essence that is also known as the Real. From another perspective it shows how much nothing has changed. “Islam” or “submission to God” is simply a return to the true nature of who we are. Past all the religious externalities that have accumulated over centuries, Submission is ...more
Nathik
Oct 08, 2012 Nathik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, religion
Muhammed: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources is true to its title. Martin Lings cleverly describes the social, economic and political aspects of Makkah in the pre-islamic times before narrating the life of Prophet Muhammed(PBUH).It really helps the reader to understand the people of its age. The Book also describes Prophet's earlier times as an orphan under his Uncle's protection. Being a muslim, I was brought up listening to Prophet's life & struggles and reading this book brings back a ...more
Chris
Apr 14, 2007 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those seeking meaning to Life
Best book I've ever read in English about the life of the Beloved Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him. Based in the earliest classical sources, yet written in beautiful and fluid English.

To compliment it, listen to Hamza Yusuf's seerah tapes!
Hamidur
Mar 01, 2015 Hamidur rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in learning about Muhammad
Recommended to Hamidur by: Zawad Ahmed
Dear future me:

If you are told by someone that Muhammad was a peaceful man, consult this review or book immediately. Of course, you should remember that there were many instances when Muhammad's acts impressed you and made you think twice about him. In case you have forgotten the instances, remember when he wept while embracing a child of his dead companion, who had recently died? Also remember his patience and nonviolence while he was in Mecca and was vulnerable. Remember the restraint he showe
Diane
Mar 09, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: islam, want-to-buy
I've had this book 3 times and each time it winds up going to live at someone else's house.
That's how good it is!
Wirotomo Nofamilyname
Jul 15, 2010 Wirotomo Nofamilyname rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all muslims
Recommended to Wirotomo by: Dian "Wiro Sableng"

buku yang sangat menawan dan komprehensif mengenai utusan Allah bernama Muhammad.
tapi hal yang paling berguna buat saya, adalah penjelasan buku ini atas mengapa bangsa Quraisy, terutama yang berasal dari kalangan terpandang, enggan menerima Islam.
waktu kecil dulu sepertinya kita bisanya cuma melabeli mereka, dengan jahat, bengis, kejam dsb. Tanpa menyadari ada banyak hal yang membuat mereka tidak mau menerima Islam dan memusuhi Muhammad dan para pengikutnya. Mungkin tetap tidak bisa bisa dibena
Nagena
Jul 17, 2007 Nagena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
what a great man Muhammad SAW was and how if people put their egos and prejudices aside they would discover the same..that he truly came as a mercy to makind.
Irving Karchmar
May 22, 2013 Irving Karchmar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Martin Ling's biography of the Prophet Muhammad, based on the earliest available sources, is a masterpiece of engaging writing on a immense topic, and he carries it off beautifully. From his birth and early life to his first marriage and the vision in the cave of the angel Gabrial, who ordered him to "recite," the Koran, this enthralling life is the best work on the subject so far. I loved it, and reread it often. Highly recommended to all who wish to know what Islam is about.
Payam
Jan 23, 2014 Payam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wonder if the high rating of this book comes from Muslims reading this book and loving how "true" it must be. Or perhaps, people were fascinated by the miraculous nature of Muhammad and his numerous "miracles" presented in this book. I will instead provide you with a separate light to understand this book.

Muhammad began his prophetic mission at the age of 40. While he certainly had a positive reputation amongst his people, due to his manners and his tribe affiliation, people began to seriously
Ramiz Qudsi
Oct 31, 2013 Ramiz Qudsi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The thing with the Muslims writer in general is that when they start writing about the life and deeds of the Prophet they are so much in awe of the personality that they can barely portray him as a normal human being. They somehow always end up creating an image which is so close to the divinity.
In this context, Martin Lings has been extraordinary. He not only describes the Prophet as the way he was, but do so most elegantly. That feeling of being in awe of the person is completely missing, and
Irnalasari
Jul 15, 2012 Irnalasari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Judul: Muhammad, Kisah Hidup Nabi Berdasarkan Sumber Klasik
Penulis: Martin Lings (Abu Bakr Siraj al-Din)
Penerjemah: Qamaruddin SF
Penerbit: PT Serambi Ilmu Semesta
Tebal: 671 halaman
ISBN: 978-979-1275-33-0
Harga: Rp. 72.900

Sinopsis
Buku ini sungguh luar biasa. Dengan keahlian yang seolah tak tertandingi. Martin Lings menghadirkan riwayat hidup Nabi Muhammad saw. Dengan nrasi dan detail mengagumkan. Buku ini dinilai banyak kalangan sebagai salah satu buku biografi Rasul terbaik yang pernah diterbitka
Yusef
Aug 01, 2012 Yusef rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Abu Bakr Siraj Ad-Din (Martin Lings) was a Muslim convert. Therefore, it must be understood that his rendering of the Prophet's (PBUH) narrative was a work of piety, and not necessarily one of historical scholarship.

This does not necessary mean that Lings' contribution is completely useless. For Muslims, the book is an eloquently written narrative of the Prophet(PBUH) which provides chronology and context for the revelation of the the Holy Qur'an and the several important hadiths.

For non-Musl
Rosey Rouz
Mar 13, 2012 Rosey Rouz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What i liked most is that this book flows easily and reads like a novel. Its an excellent book for Muslims, but i wouldn't say its a good introductory book for non-muslims who know very little about Islam or have misconceptions, as i found this book didn't give much focus on the teachings of Islam but tends to focus more on the battles which took place to defend the muslims against attacking armies. I also felt sometimes a bit more context was needed for these battles.
My only other small issue w
Azimah  Othman
Jul 27, 2008 Azimah Othman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly an extremely easy read. I enjoyed it very much. The first book that made me feel as if I really know the Prophet. I love the war chapters. Though very detailed, it made me feel as if I was there witnesssing them. BTW, I thought the discription of the Battle of Badr is a little mythtical in parts.
Sistri k
Jan 04, 2011 Sistri k rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the best epic biography i've ever read but there's no word can descibe how great Muhammad is,,,
Nanny SA
Kisah Nabi Muhammad SAW dari Martin lings ini paling enak dibaca diantara buku-buku sejenis lainnya.

Kisah-kisahnya mungkin sudah banyak diceritakan tapi di sini lebih terstruktur dan komprehensif, kita bisa mengetahui awal dan sebab turunnya suatu ayat, juga diperkenalkan dengan karakter suku-suku di Arab terutama suku Quraish.
Bahasanya ringan dan gaya berceritanya seperti membaca kumpulan cerita jadi tidak membosankan , hanya nama-nama suku dan keturunan yang agak susah untuk diingat . Seingat
Harun Harahap
Jujur gw jarang banged baca buku2 agama..apalagi buku tentang Biografi nabi Muhammad..dengan membaca buku ini gw mendapat banyak sekali pengetahuan yang lengkap mengenai biografi nabi Muhammad..dari sejak kelahiran hingga akhir hayatnya..

beberapa kali gw merinding baca buku ini..disebabkan oleh betapa takjubnya gw akan mulia akhlak sang Rasul dan juga betapa besar cinta dan kuasa Allah SWT..dan di beberapa bagian gw juga bisa melihat walau bagaimanapun Nabi Muhammad adalah seorang manusia juga y
Ahmad Mushtaq
Jul 13, 2013 Ahmad Mushtaq rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: prophets
Love knowing more about the prophet.
Martin Lings did a great job in connecting the different puzzles together. The book requires some focus in the beginning as the reader will encounter many characters but then it will be easy once you have focused already.

I read the first 24% and the remaining I listened to the audio book version which can be found here for free:
Nadinastiti
Nov 27, 2013 Nadinastiti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FINALLY AFTER MORE THAN A YEAR!

I will not review the story, since I believe this book has going through deep exploration of facts from classic sources (hey, it is the best Prophet SAW biography according to National Seerat Conference!). So, here's the thing I have learned from this book so far:

The family tree of Arabians is very messed up!!
Uncles married to nieces, man married to many women, whose child is he, and so on. It would be nice if there is a detailed family tree for Prophet SAW and
Raka Putra
Feb 24, 2013 Raka Putra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Baru saja menyelesaikan membaca buku ini pada beberapa hari kemarin, setelah saya membelinya pada september 2012.

Buku yang begitu mengambarkan sejarah kehidupan Nabi Muhammad SAW mulai dari Beliau lahir hingga wafatnya beliau. Penggunaan bahasa yang ringan mampu membius para pembaca hingga penasaran ingin terus membaca buku ini hingga habis.

Karena bahasanya dan penuturan serta urutan cerita yang begitu baik, buku ini dapat dinikmati oleh para 'pemula' yang ingin mengetahui kehidupan Rasul dan ju
Nathaniel
Sometimes inspirational, sometimes perplexing, Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources is, at the least, a challenging read. Anyone unwilling to read a pious biography of the Islamic prophet will simply not be able to read it but others may find the book gives a good window into a Muslim perspective of the prophet and that's probably where it is most successful. I am not sure, however, I recommend this to those with strong reservations against Islam as they undoubtedly would not be able ...more
Fatma
Nov 23, 2008 Fatma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read the Indonesia version of this book. It's such an fascinating story.

Membaca buku ini membuat saya bisa lebih memahami, lebih melihat sisi2 kehidupan sehari-hari Nabi Muhammad SAW. Buku ini membuat kita seperti lebih dekat dengan nabi tauladan seluruh umat manusia ini. Lings tidak berusaha untuk mengagung2kan beliau secara berlebihan, namun mengungkapkan sisi2 kehidupan Beliau secara wajar, namun yang membuat rasa kekaguman akan sosok Beliau semakin besar justru dari kewajaran itu.

Set
Shathil Taqa
Martin Lings nous fait revivre le temps de 560 pages la plus belle histoire humaine. On aurait aimé vivre quelques instants auprès de notre bien aimé Prophète Muhammed (sws), dont on prend un plaisir et un bonheur incommensurable à le connaître et l'aimer. Les pages contant son départ pour l'Au-delà n'empêchent les larmes de couleur sur les derniers mots de l'auteur.
Duygu
Jun 07, 2016 Duygu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Siyer bilgim zayıf, bu yüzden metindeki malumatların sıhhatine dair bir söz edemem; fakat erken kaynaklara dayanmak eşittir sahih bilgi edinmek, değil. Bu yüzden metinde sıkıntılar olabileceğini düşünüyorum. Bir de, metindeki olayların tarihsel bağlamları da pek verilmemiş ve bu metni biyografi türüne yaklaştırmış. Ezcümle, öyle çok başarılı bir siyer olduğunu naçizane düşünmüyorum.
Nurul
Jun 24, 2015 Nurul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did little else for the past 2 days but read this, and I regret it not one bit.
رؤیا (Roya)
It is too boring and I could not force myself to finish it at least for now:(
Sana Khan
Jul 03, 2015 Sana Khan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading books on Muhammad, because I wanted to know the man. Not know what he has accomplished - but to know what we aren't conventionally taught and told about him. My knowledge about him is a list of characteristics and actions - but there was nothing I knew on a deeper level. How do you try to know a man, who has passed for over a thousand years. So then I decided to read his biography - I read one, and then another, and this is the third. And from all the biographies I read, this o ...more
Halik
May 11, 2011 Halik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: islam, non-fiction
I think four stars to the Audiobook because it omits a few important aspects that are included in the latest edition of the print version. But a great listen nevertheless. Sean Barrett's voice and his little verbal nuances and changes in tone make lively company.

Five stars to the book as a whole though. Martin Lings has stuck primarily to the most authentic and credible sources in the drafting of his biography of the Prophet of Islam. The book is in no way 'dry' as some reviews accuse. Lings was
Malin
This linear account, from childhood to hours after his passing, is easy to follow, and the index and map, makes it a convenient go-to if the need to return to certain points arises. It has footnote references to Quran, and the revelations are here put in clear context. Very good follow-up after reading Quran for the first time.
However, the names of people and their genealogy is sometimes a bit overwhelming to someone who is not accustomed to Arabic family customs.

But I can not say anything abou
Muhammad: His Life Based On The Earliest Sources 5 87 Jan 13, 2014 02:41AM
  • In the Footsteps of the Prophet: Lessons from the Life of Muhammad
  • Purification of the Heart: Signs, Symptoms and Cures of the Spiritual Diseases of the Heart
  • The Book of Assistance
  • The Search for Beauty in Islam: A Conference of the Books
  • Al-Ghazali on the Remembrance of Death and the Afterlife (Book XL of The Revival of the Religious Sciences)
  • Scattered Pictures: Reflections Of An American Muslim
  • "Believing Women" in Islam: Unreading Patriarchal Interpretations of the Qur'an
  • The Story of the Qur'an: Its History and Place in Muslim Life
  • Islam and the Destiny of Man
  • Islam and the Blackamerican: Looking Toward the Third Resurrection
  • Reliance of the Traveller: A Classic Manual of Islamic Sacred Law
  • The Venture of Islam, Vol 1: The Classical Age of Islam
  • Qur'an and Woman: Rereading the Sacred Text from a Woman's Perspective
  • Muhammad
  • Hadith: An Introduction (Foundations of Islam)
  • The Heart of Islam: Enduring Values for Humanity
  • The Road to Mecca
  • Vision of Islam
Martin Lings was an English writer and scholar, a student and follower of Frithjof Schuon, and Shakespearean scholar. He is best known as the author of a very popular and positively reviewed biography, Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources, first published in 1983 and still in print.

Lings was born in Burnage, Manchester in 1909 to a Protestant family. The young Lings gained an introduct
More about Martin Lings...

“- The Azan story -

The five daily ritual prayers were regularly performed in congregation, and when the time for each prayer came the people would assemble at the site where the Mosque was being built. Everyone judged of the time by the position of the sun in the sky, or by the first signs of its light on the eastern horizon or by the dimming of its glow in the west after sunset; but opinions could differ, and the Prophet felt the need for a means of summoning the people to prayer when the right time had come. At first he thought of appointing a man to blow a horn like that of the Jews, but later he decided on a wooden clapper, ndqiis, such as the Oriental Christians used at that time, and two pieces of wood were fashioned together for that purpose. But they were never destined to be used; for one night a man of Khazraj, 'Abd Allah ibn Zayd, who had been at the Second 'Aqabah, had a dream whieh the next day he recounted to the Prophet: "There passed by me a man wearing two green garments and he carried in his hand a ndqiis, so I said unto him: "0 slave of God, wilt thou sell me that naqusi" "What wilt thou do with it?" he said. "We will summon the people to prayer with it," I answered. "Shall I not show thee a better way?" he said. "What way is that?" I asked, and he answered: "That thou shouldst say: God is most Great, Alldhu Akbar." The man in green repeated this magnification four times, then each of the following twice: I testify that there is no god but God; I testify that Muhammad is the messenger of God; come unto the prayer; come unto salvation; God is most Great; and then once again there is no god but God.
The Prophet said that this was a true vision, and he told him to go to Bilal, who had an excellent voice, and teach him the words exactly as he had heard them in his sleep. The highest house in the neighbourhood of the Mosque belonged to a woman of the clan of Najjar, and Bilal would come there before every dawn and would sit on the roof waiting for the daybreak. When he saw the first faint light in the east he would stretch out his arms and say in supplication: "0 God I praise Thee, and I ask Thy Help for Quraysh, that they may accept Thy religion." Then he would stand and utter the call to prayer.”
28 likes
“In after-years he would tell of an incident that took place at one of their encampments: "We were with the Prophet when a Companion brought in a fledgling that he had caught, and one of the parent birds came and threw itself into the hands of him who had taken its young. I saw men's faces full of wonderment, and the Prophet said: 'Do ye wonder at this bird? Ye have taken its young, and it hath thrown itself down in merciful tenderness unto its young. Yet I swear by God, Your Lord is more merciful unto you than is this bird unto its fledgling. And he told the man to put back the young bird where he had found it.

He also said: "God hath a hundred mercies,and one of them hath He sent down amongst jinn and men and cattle and beasts of prey. Thereby they are kind and merciful unto one another, and thereby the wild creature inclineth in tenderness unto her offspring. And ninety-nine mercies hath God reserved unto Himself, that therewith He may show mercy unto His slaves on the day of the Resurrection.”
8 likes