Start by marking “Justin Morgan Had a Horse” as Want to Read:
Justin Morgan Had a Horse

Justin Morgan Had a Horse

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  5,143 ratings  ·  110 reviews
Joel Goss knows that Little Bub is a special colt, even though he's a runt. And when schoolteacher Justin Morgan asks Joel to break the colt in, Joel is thrilled! Soon word about Little Bub has spread throughout the entire Northeast -- this spirited colt can pull heavier loads than a pair of oxen. And run faster than thoroughbreds! This is the story of the little runt who ...more
Published June 1st 2007 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about Justin Morgan Had a Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Justin Morgan Had a Horse

Abigail Larsen
Meet Marguerite Henry, one of my favorite childhood authors. Why? Because all the stories I read by her were about horses, and like most young girls, I was horse crazy. Justin Morgan Had a Horse was her only chapter book that I remember reading through three times. I recommend it to all fellow horse-lovers out there. The trueaccount (with a fictional twist) of how the popular breed Morgan came to be in the late eighteenth century, you’ll find it inspiring and fun.

It all begins in 1791 whenlikabl
Tarissa
If you went to Vermont, back in the time of the late 1700s... you would meet Justin Morgan. He was a man who had a problem. It all started because a farmer owed Justin some money. The farmer couldn't pay the debt, so instead, he gave a horse. To some people, that would be a wonderful thing to receive, but Justin didn't need a horse. He needed money.

One might say, "Sell the horse"--but that's just the problem. No one wants to use their money on a small, (VERY small), scrawny animal, who is weak
Abigail Wallace
I never was a horse crazy girl, but I loved Misty of Chincoteague even still. MISTY is Marguerite Henry's best known horse novel. When I stumbled over this one last month, looking for a good read aloud for my 7 and 9 year old sons, it was a no-brainer! With the high drama of horse, his boy and their nation coming of age, not to mention thrilling horseraces and backbreaking hard work complete with both heartache and happy endings, JUSTIN MORGAN did not disappoint! All that in 170 pages. JUSTIN MO ...more
We read this book as part of our American History studies this year. It takes place just after the Revolution and covers several more years on past the War of 1812. My kids really enjoyed it but then we haven't read a Marguerite Henry book that they didn't love.
Jessica
This book, Justin Morgan Had A Horse, is a classic tale about Justin Morgan, the founder of a great American breed of horse. It all started because a farmer owed Justin some money. The farmer couldn't pay the debt, so instead, he gave him two horses. One large horse was named Ebenezer and the little runt was Lil Bub. Once they arrived back in Vermont, Justin Morgan sold Ebenezer and kept Lil Bub for Joel. Joel Goss was a young boy and one of Justin’s students. Justin had asked him to break the c ...more
Katie Dubik Schwarz
Reading a book about horses by the one and only Marguerite Henry with beautiful illustrations by Wesley Dennis…it just makes my heart go back to a happy place, to my horsey childhood.

This is a great piece of historical fiction about how the Justin Morgan horse came about. It's a story of one strong-willed boy and one strong-willed colt. What I like about it for a children's book is that the Justin Morgan horse is barely a horse--it is really a pony. But it is strong and fast and has a sweet disp
Justin Morgan didn’t really want a horse. What he wanted was cash to pay for his doctor’s bills. But his friend, Farmer Beane, has nothing else to give him as payment for the loan Justin generously gave him. So Justin accepts it. Joel, a student who has been traveling with Justin, is tickled when Farmer Beane throws in a scrawny little colt as part of the bargain.

But Joel’s father won’t let Joel keep Little Bub, as he calls the horse. Justin Morgan lets him gentle Little Bub, but then rents him
Lucinda
Reading this book was like opening a door onto the past and descovering the history of a breed from the eyes of the very first foundling Sire, back at the beginning of all things. This story came to me from America, travelling a great distance like the adventure that this one little colt went on all those years ago. The most famous of the American breeds; the Morgan, is brought vividly to life in this charming childrens tale that is a national treasure of a horse/ pony story. The book may be des ...more
Rachel R
Justin Morgan was broke. He got two horses from a man named Farmer Beane who owed a debt. Justin sold the oldest horse, Ebenezer, and kept short and stubby Little Bub because no one wanted him. Joel, Justin Morgan's student, took Little Bub and trained him as the first Morgan horse. This book took place in Vermont, which is a New England state.

This book is like me because I would be willing to find an animal that no one wanted and take care of it. Also I would love to own a horse like Joel's hor
April Brown
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – All ages. Children will enjoy the single storyline; while adults enjoy an easy afternoon read (especially while waiting on a bus, show, doctor, or other appointments).

Length? – Reasonable for an afternoon.

Characters? – Memorable, and few enough that you won’t forget who is who.

Setting? – Real world, even includes President James Monroe.

Written approximately? – 1954.

Does the story leave
Gale
GROWING UP TOGETHER

I must be romping through my second childhood because I still love this classic equine tale about the founder of a truly American breed of horse. I enjoyed it now just as much as when I was young; Henry's story holds up with successive readings since the human emotions are sincere, and the dramatic events are true. The young protagonist, Joel, has a passion for horses; as a young man he dreams of finding his beloved, Lil Bub, the first Morgan colt whom no one wanted.
Even mor
Lynne Page
I never read this story growing up. Rather, I picked it up as an adult because a year ago I fell in love with a horse, and he was the description of a Morgan horse. I wanted to know more about how the breed came about.

Not sure just how much of this story was real, but I enjoyed it.

And I have to say... After reading this book, that horse really was a Morgan horse. :)
Phoebe
Though a bit old fashioned, this is an interesting story based on fact. A Vermont schoolmaster, Justin Morgan, looks to settle some debts, so along with his young student Joel Goss, travels to a farmer friend to seek some money owed him. The farmer offers him two horses, in lieu of money, and Joel and the colt Little Bub become fast friends. The story follows the close but separate lives of Joel, serving an apprenticeship, and Little Bub, who doesn't look like much but is an amazingly intelligen ...more
Leah
This horse tale by Marguerite Henry is lovely. It is about a young horse and a boy named joel. This horse is the father of the Morgan breed and the story weaves historical fiction with a touching story of a boy and his horse. The illustrations are great and help tell the story.

Recommended age 9-13
Reading Level 4th -6th grade
Theresa
The back says a true story, which if it is added a lot of interest for me. It was written for I'd say 9-12s so they didn't add a lot of detail, but the story was making me believe that this was where the title morgan came from for this breed of horse, and yet they ended it not knowing who the sire and dam was of Little Bub.

Once again, I found story of long ago where parents were cruel and it makes me wonder why it took so long for things to change. I cannot stand to read characters like that and
Jordan
Sep 18, 2007 Jordan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse lovers
Shelves: animals
I know I read this book, but I can't remember when exactly. I loved learning about how the Morgan horse came to be since I grew up for the first 10 years of my life at the racetrack watching my father train Thoroughbreds. I was obsessed with horses from a yound age and read any horse related book I could get my hands on. I saw "The Black Stallion" more times than I can recall and wished I could find an awesome black horse to call my own. I made my parents take me to the University of Vermont's M ...more
Amy
Good historical book. Author did a great deal of research on where Morgan horses came from, including in her sources interviews with descendants of both the school master for whom the horses are named and the boy who gentled him. Well-written!
Missy Cunningham
Great love story of a boy and his horse. It just happens to be a very famous horse. I own a registered Morgan and everything they say in the book is true about Morgans! Wonderful hearty breed of a horse who choose his owner. Loyal and loving. Great story.
Angela
Beth
My first horse was a Morgan horse. They're a wonderful, intelligent, gentle breed of sturdy little horses. Henry captured their founding sire's story beautifully.
Caffee K.
Aug 03, 2014 Caffee K. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any horse lover
Wonderful story that is told in a voice suitable for children and adults. A must read for any horse lover, and especially good for people who have/admire/want a Morgan.
Mandy J. Hoffman
This is a fun story to read aloud to your children. It was a great story that wasn't too sad, was full of history, and a good length to keep their attention.
Tanita S.
Oh, my goodness, I loved this book when I was a kid.

At first I didn't. I wasn't horsey, and it was a book about a BOY. But, it was one of the rare fiction books I was allowed to read, because someone suitably churchy gave it to us, so I got to read it. And I think it surprised me, with its detail and life, and the fact that the boy had feelings and longings and failed and tried and succeeded. I learned that a.) boys were probably not subhuman and b.) horses might be interesting.

And then a few ye
Stephanie
We read this as part of a Sonlight's Core D homeschooling schedule. My kids really enjoyed this book, and so did I. A wonderful story.
Heike
This was a great, feel-good book. My dad has referenced "Justin Morgan's horse" so many times that when I saw the book, I knew I had to read it. I wasn't disappointed.
Kyrie
As a kid, it was not my favorite Henry book because it focused more on the man and history. As an adult, I like it more.
Amy
Over all, my daughter enjoyed this book. She noted that the suspense was driven, as with Misty of Chincoteague, by the drama of "getting a horse." - Will they get it? Will they get to keep it? Will they find it again? "The author must really like to write about that," she said. I found this book a bit hard to read because it seemed to change points of views/methods of telling the story pretty dramatically. Some kids might have trouble following that. Justin Morgan, the man, dies in the middle of ...more
Pat Bennett
One of my childhood favorites. I visited the Morgan Horse farm in Vermont. What a treat!
Mandy
This is a good story, but the writing style is definitely geared toward younger readers.
Anne Osterlund
Joel knew as soon as he saw the colt.
Not the larger one, who everyone thought would fetch a good price.
The smaller colt. The one with the ears that flicked forward with curiosity about everything. And with the intelligence to note the snakes on the month long trek back to Vermont. And the one that chased dogs until they ran lickety-split for home.

From that first moment, Little Bub was Joel’s horse. But would he ever be able to work and save hard enough to make their relationship last?

A sweet mid
  • Swift Rivers
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • The Journeyman
  • Calico Bush
  • The Great Wheel
  • Moccasin Trail
  • The Bears on Hemlock Mountain
  • The Perilous Road
  • Pocahontas And The Strangers
  • Kildee House
Marguerite Henry (April 13, 1902-November 26, 1997) was an American writer. The author of fifty-nine books based on true stories of horses and other animals, her work has captivated entire generations of children and young adults and won several Newbery Awards and Honors. Among the more famous of her works was Misty of Chincoteague, which was the basis for the 1961 movie Misty, and several sequel ...more
More about Marguerite Henry...
Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1) King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian Stormy, Misty's Foal (Misty, #3) Brighty of the Grand Canyon Black Gold