Start by marking “Stormy, Misty's Foal” as Want to Read:
Stormy, Misty's Foal

Stormy, Misty's Foal (Misty #3)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  17,172 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
A raging storm slashes across Assateague and Chincoteague islands. Water is everywhere! The wild ponies and the people must battle for their lives.

In the midst of the storm, Misty-the famous mare of Chincoteague-is about to give birth. Paul and Maureen are frantic with worry as the storm rages on... will Misty and her colt survive?

This is the thrilling story of the hur

Published 1975 by Rand McNally (first published 1963)

Audrey
May 01, 2016 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am currently reading Stormy, Misty's Foal with one of my tutoring students. We make the perfect pair, as she can explain the horse-y elements of the plot and I can explain life in the 1960's.

As Grandpa Beebe and Paul travel up to Deep Hole with their neighbor, the author refers to the fabric scraps that the neighbor has brought along to make flags. I know exactly what a bag of fabric scraps looks like, and why a woman would have one.

One of the scraps, the neighbor tells us, was from his wife's
Gina
Mar 12, 2016 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse lovers
Marguerite Henry's one weakness: series. What I mean is, there is hardly any continuity between Sea Star and this one. Sea Star doesn't even seem to exist in this book; he's never mentioned. The family as also gained a collie, Skipper, and a cat, Wait-a-Minute, with no explanation. They even mention a puppy they used to have (which was not there in either of the previous books) and don't explain why that one's gone. And it isn't explained how or why Misty is back from her tour around the world.

O
Jodi
Aug 19, 2010 Jodi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young horse lovers!
Recommended to Jodi by: Billy King Beebe's wife at the Beebe Ranch
We bought this book at the Beebe Ranch in Chincoteague Island when we were there back in July. The book is even signed by Billy King Beebe, who even though he is not named in the story because Marguerite Henry kept the names Paul and Maureen from her first book about the island, is the boy who these events happened to in real life! Pretty cool! We got to walk up the stairs Misty walked up into the house and see the kitchen where she stayed during the storm. We also got to see the real Misty and ...more
Heather
Oct 08, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler alert: my 7 year old daughter considered giving this 5 stars, but lowered her rating because the foal isn't born until 3/4 of the way thru the book. The story concentrates on a huge storm and how the people handle it. While animals are a part of the story, they are secondary too often too the people for my animal loving daughter's comfort.
Kimi
Jun 14, 2008 Kimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-w-bubba
spoiler alert: You don't find out that the mamma horse and her foal are safe until Chapter 18. That's a long time if you're 7 years old and this is being read chapter-by-chapter as a nighttime story. Excellent story nonetheless, and based on true events for the islanders.
Sara S
Jun 02, 2013 Sara S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stormy misty's foal is similar to the book Sea Star by Marguerite Henry. I chose this book because it had a horse on the front but I actually liked the story a lot.Stormy Misty's Foal is about love, trust, fear,happiness between Grandma,Grandpa,and their grand kids Paul,and Maureen. During a deadly storm the human family had a horrible inner problem. They were forced to leave their home for safety but wanted to stay even risking their selves to watch over their pets and pregnant pony Misty. By l ...more
Gale
Aug 15, 2013 Gale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set on Chincotegue Island off tidewater Virginia, this Newbery Honor book proved the first in a string of kid and horse stories by Marguerite Henry. The black and white sketches by Wesley Dennis are excellent illustrations, enhancing the story about two kids who dream of taming a wild horse of their own. The story is preceded by a dramatic prologue: how a Spanish galleon foundered during a storm centuries ago, leaving a stallion and his mares free to survive and thrive on uninhabited Assateauge ...more
Hannah
Jan 18, 2016 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stormy, Misty's Foal is definitely one of my favorites as well as other books my Marguerite Henry! This book was action-packed and made you not want to put it down. It told the story of Misty giving birth to her foal, Stormy, and then Paul and Maureen trying to save her from the wild hurricane that was going there way. It was very exciting and I really enjoyed it!
Joy
Dec 27, 2013 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm working my way through the Chincoteague horse books before passing them on to my granddaughter. This was not only a good book on the love between horse and child but the devestation caused by hurricane flooding. The book sadly chronicles how the wild herds of Assateague were destroyed but happily how they were rebuilt, a community effort.

Grandmaw on helicopter rescue: "They can jes' count me out! I'm too old to start riding across the sky in an eggbeater."
Grandmaw: "Now you two perten up. Ev
Patricia
This is a favorite book from Michael's childhood. It's nice to be reading something a little less dark on the heels of re-reading and re-processing Cormac McCarthy's _The Road_.

I grew up around horses and have a strong affinity for horses. They are recurring figures in my dreams.

A good storyteller wrote this book; and I love the sketched illustrations. I also love the Virginian/Appalachian vernacular.

Turns out there's a whole series about Misty that we will have to get at some point. The thing
Charisa
Nov 12, 2011 Charisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was younger I used to be crazy about horses, and I ordered alot of books about them off eBay. Marguerite Henry is one of my favorite authors; she provided hours of escape for me. Her books on horses are beautiful and unique. This book is the sequel to Misty of Chincoteague. I used to have it, but somewhere along moving from one country to the next it was lost or sold along with some of the other books. So I rented it from the library to read again, and it still holds the same magic for me ...more
Amy
We seemed to have skipped over Misty #2, hmmmm. Oh well. Bea says she would give this book 3 1/2 stars. She liked the story but it was stressful and dramatic. She didn't like that the title made it seem like the book would be about the foal but it really wasn't born until almost the end of the book and you really didn't get to know the foal at all.

I thought that this story was actually crafted better than the original Misty book. It certainly was a dramatic story and there were many details of
Rachael
Oct 09, 2011 Rachael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: class-books
In the book Stormy, Misty’s Foal, by Marguerite Henry, Paul and Maureen Beebe reluctantly evacuate their home on Chincoteague Island with their grandparents, as a huge storm washes over their island. The worst part is that they have to leave their beloved pregnant pony Misty on the island. As the days pass by, the Beebe’s have to be exceptionally strong, while their pony is trapped on the flooding island and when they finally return home, they find Misty and her newborn Stormy, unharmed. I belie ...more
Lynne Page
Aug 10, 2015 Lynne Page rated it liked it
So, I didn't realize that there was a whole series of these books, and they kept referring to the fact that Misty had been a movie, but never elaborated.

But what really made me not enjoy the story was how the women were treated. I understand this book is dated, and back then it sort of made sense. But this book is NOT appropriate reading for young girls anymore. It teaches them that their place is in the kitchen and that they simply aren't as smart or talented as boys. And Paul was constantly te
Rusty
May 07, 2016 Rusty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-ya
When a hurricane destroys the wild herds of Assateague, Stormy and Misty' fame and showmanship help rebuild the island and the herd. This is a lovely story for children that emphasizes love, caring, cooperation in adversity and other positive values that should permeate our lives. It's a good book to read with or to children.
Theresa
Goodness a lot of this book is about heartbreaking tragedy. I think when I was younger tragedy didn't affect me as much, because it wasn't real. Now I've lived through a lot and reading it, it feels real. I spent a lot of this book feeling sad.

Out of all that sadness comes Misty's foal who basically saves the day. The children all over the country are so in love with Misty that they find a way to make the money needed to rebuild by sharing Stormy with all of the children.

It takes getting through
April Brown
Sep 06, 2011 April Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, pre-teen
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – All ages. Children will enjoy the single storyline; while adults enjoy an easy afternoon read (especially while waiting on a bus, show, doctor, or other appointments).

Length? – Reasonable for an afternoon.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters, though a bit confusing in the beginning.

Setting? – Real world, Recent times (1940′s or 1950′s).

Written approximately? – 1963.

Does the story
Diane Fuson
Jun 12, 2014 Diane Fuson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any story that has horses is a plus for me. Love the adventures that Marguerite Henry writes. The cover is not the same as the 2nd edition of mine from 1970.
Rosa Cline
This is book 3 of the Misty series. You don't have to have read the others first, but it does help in understanding about past emotions and characters.

In this one Misty is expecting a foul and the children are worried about her. But in the mist of watching for the birth a major weather event comes in and people are asked to leave the island. But the family doesnt' want to leave Misty behind. But as usual the family put their thinking caps on and work together as a family and save Misty and her
Mandy Blackburn
Another one I read years ago, but had forgotten most of it. Any kid who loves horses will love this book.
Mckinzie
Jul 12, 2015 Mckinzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The storm really was a big part in this book and was expertly written. Ham.
Erin
Feb 25, 2015 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book has a lot of great details and a fantastic story line.
Natalie
I loved all of the Marguerite Henry books that I read as a child.
Tanisha Christie
Another adorable book that I loved in younger years.
Deborah
Nov 29, 2012 Deborah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel the same about this book as I did the first in the series. That is, I would've liked it when I was in third grade. Now that I'm older, I don't quite have that same love of horses or ponies. I thought it was a neat story, and it was really interesting to see a children's book that dealt with natural disaster. I love anthropology and so seeing how people (especially in a more historical setting) face tragic and disastrous times has always been really fascinating to me. I still have one more ...more
Kyrie
Mar 28, 2014 Kyrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I loved this continuation of Misty's story.
Darlene Otet
Mar 08, 2015 Darlene Otet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this as a child, loved horses!
Wirote
Goodreads Librari...: UK cover 1 13 Apr 02, 2016 07:31AM
Upper Elementary ...: Stormy, Misty's Foal 1 5 Jul 12, 2014 06:49AM
just wanted to know 8 26 Nov 08, 2013 05:38AM
so cute 1 18 May 25, 2008 10:32PM
  • The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)
  • Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony
  • Thunderhead (Flicka, #2)
  • A Horse Called Wonder (Thoroughbred, #1)
  • Old Bones the Wonder Horse
  • National Velvet
Marguerite Henry (April 13, 1902-November 26, 1997) was an American writer. The author of fifty-nine books based on true stories of horses and other animals, her work has captivated entire generations of children and young adults and won several Newbery Awards and Honors. Among the more famous of her works was Misty of Chincoteague, which was the basis for the 1961 movie Misty, and several sequel ...more
More about Marguerite Henry...

Misty (4 books)
  • Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1)
  • Sea Star: Orphan of Chincoteague (Misty, #2)
  • Misty's Twilight (Misty, #4)