Mythology (Ologies, #5)

Mythology (Ology)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  661 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Presenting the newest discovery in the series with the Midas touch — a mythical exploration fit for the gods

In the early nineteenth century, an English nobleman embarked on a tour of the sites of ancient Greece. He brought as his guide a primer on Greek myths written by his friend Lady Hestia Evans, a devotee of Lord Byron who had recently taken the same voyage. In the tru...more
Published August 28th 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published 2007)

Dragonology by Dugald A. SteerEgyptology by Dugald A. SteerWizardology by Dugald A. SteerPirateology by Dugald A. SteerMythology by Lady Hestia Evans
Interactive Books
5th out of 18 books — 22 voters
Oh No She Didn't by Clinton KellyThe Runner's Field Manual by Mark RemyThe Ultimate Survival Guide by Mike FlynnOrigins by Douglas PalmerBiological Exuberance by Bruce Bagemihl
Books To Video Review
7th out of 31 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

D.M.
I've been curious about the Ology series since it started, and when I saw this one in my local library decided it was time to check it out.
This volume devoted to Greek mythology is wrapped in the conceit of a book on the subject written by the fictional Lady Hestia Evans, with marginal notes by a greedy later owner, John Oro. The book would have been more of a pamphlet had it existed, as it's just over 30 pages, and provides the barest primer in mythology. Though it offers a good number of stori...more
Ash E.
Feb 20, 2011 Ash E. rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mythology fanatics
Recommended to Ash by: Cori Johnson
REVIEW COMPLETE

If you're interested in Greek mythology, you'd be much better off with:
Percy Jackson & The Olympians (for entertainment purposes)
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) by Rick Riordan The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #3 ) by Rick Riordan The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4) by Rick Riordan The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) by Rick Riordan
D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths (informational purposes)
D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths by Ingri D'Aulaire

So see my reviews for those!
Chimney

Original review can be found at Inconceivable Book Reviews

* * *

As most of you may, or perhaps may not, know I am a Greek Mythology fan and have read several of the myths repeatedly throughout the years (starting in the seventh grade for anyone who is wondering). This book, though extremely short, is a great beginning place for anyone who is interested in the Greek myths. It does not go into much depth only keeping to the bare bones and mainly only focuses on the twelve major Olympian gods,...more
Rachel
Really cool read! Not only did it have lots of trivia and info, it presented it in a fun way. You can read the Odyssey, book of serpents, and learn letters and modern Greek! And on top of that you get some pretty cool things too. A feather pen with Greek paper, Old Maid cards in Greek god form and some cool golden leaves!!!
Katy Jane
I get so overwhelmed with mythology so instead of studying it, I just don't read it. At all.

I am a teen coordinator at a library and our book group is reading mythology this month. Not my first choice. I didn't want anything fiction because I knew I would get confused because I don't really know many stories. (After college, studying The Iliad and the Odyssey, I forgot it in seconds after the test) So I wanted a book where I could get an overview of mythology without feeling overwhelmed. This b...more
Daisy
Nov 30, 2013 Daisy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in greek mythology
This was a very good book on Greek mythology. I loved the illustrations and the way the information was displayed. On the sides of each page is a diary written in first person about a man who is collecting Greek relics and is meant to be giving them to a museum but is having second thoughts... This part of the book I wasn't too keen on. It wasn't very clear when the diary was set and who was talking and I wasn't sure if it was based on true events or not either. Although I did like the way that...more
Nell S
I really loved this book! It has a lot of cool stuff about Greek mythology which I happen to adore!
Booktalked this on a recent class visit.

Many of the third graders had never heard of the word "Mythology," although a few had seen the Disney Hercules movie. However all were very interested in the beautiful maps and illustrations and "pockets of surprise" in the book. They especially like the picture of Medusa on the "Magical Beasts" page.

We have a lot of copies of the "-ology" books at our branch, and surprisingly, they don't really circulated that well. I'm working hard to push our non-fict...more
Charmain O'connor
So informative! Absolutely loved it and lots of fun for children or even those big kids!
Haley
When I was younger, I was obsessed with Greek mythology (not as much anymore, but I still think it's interesting). This book was great, because it told Greek myths and legends in a way that was understandable to my 9-year-old brain (that's about how old I was when I first read this book). And the pictures are cool :) Anyway, this is a very kid-friendly book, and for the younger readers out there, I recommend it. It might be too easy for older readers or people who know a lot about Greek mytholog...more
Andrea
Jul 24, 2008 Andrea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults and Children
I have to highly recommend all of the 'ology' series for children and adults alike. Both the girls (ages 8 and 13) have loved these since they discovered them. They are wonderful interactive adventurous books that will keep them entertained and reading for hours. And they are a book they will come back to time and time again. I had to actually confiscate these more than once from my older step-daughter when she would be up way past bed time searching for some new detail she hadn't seen before.
Anna
Another awesome addition to the ologies series. I love Greek mythology and I love the cool way this book was set up. Of course, much of the storytelling was highly edited/abridged, but what could you expect from a book of this size? Really, it's construction is beautiful and even the little historical story was pretty neat albeit slightly disjointed (a guy going crazy because he thinks Zeus is real? A little hard to believe...)
J.
Don't think me as someone uninterested in Greek Mythology, because honestly it's one of the most intriguing set of stories ever told. It's just that the book is barely 30 pages and you have only just about graze the surface of what is a thousand of other stories to be told. I guess it would be hard to retell so many tales in a single children's book, but I just wished it went a little more in detail.
Elizabeth Qualia
I first learned about this book in one of my classes. It is so cool and takes me back to my childhood days with the little envelopes and items stashed throughout the book. I was really excited to recieve this as a graduation present from my family. I also like the companion book which is smaller in size and a handbook. In place of the items this companion book comes with stickers!
David
This was a good book that gives a basic overview of mythology as it just skims the surface. The illustrations and tangible "trinkets" in the book make it interesting and add to the overall element of the book. Definitely good for anyone who is exploring their interest level in mythology, but not so much for those seeking to deepen their knowledge of mythology.
Mariana
I looooove this book. Can stare at it for hours, keep learning and keep loving it
Abraham Hernandez
this book goes into depths about the Greek gods. This book sparked my intrest in greek mythology which led me to read The Mythology Handbook: An Introduction to the Greek Myths
Crystal
A fun and entertaining way to learn more about Greek Mythology. Although it isn't the most in dept, it does give a great overview of Greek Mythology, and I think it is a really great teaching tool. I especially loved the pop-ups and little hidden things to pull out and examine, it made reading this book more fun and interesting.
Daleb.
Sat. March 3, 2012
A nice little read and companion book...only took me 3hrs (w/many interruptions) to get through this one.
I had initially thought this was an entirely different book until i looked inside the cover and saw Mr. Dugald A. Steers name in it.
Now on the the Mythology Book itself.
xoDaleB.xo
Monica Sanders
This book was really cool. On every page was a pop-up page or flaps or folders for the reader to be interactive. It is also very informative in learning about Greek mythology. I thought that some of the myths were detailed and slightly graphic for young readers, but I learned a lot from reading this book.
Jilane
Apr 24, 2012 Jilane rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All 9th grade students studying mythology
Recommended to Jilane by: Michelle Barney
Shelves: fantasy, mythology
I just finished this. Yes it was really short and a very fast read. But I wish now I had made this available to my students for their mythology research. There is an "abridged" version of the Odyssey which I am going to read to my students next week before we start the Odyssey.
Louisa
me and mythology...just started...so I got this book to study up so I'm prepared for some of the myths. I read about Persephone and Hades, and the muses, and the gods and goddesses like Aphrodite and Apollo. I was interested, so watch for more mythology books on my profile.
Drucilla
Dec 29, 2013 Drucilla rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: o
I love interactive books and Greek mythology so this is a no-brainer. One thing that this book has that other entries in the series don't have is a good embedded frame story. It could have been a lot better.
ACRL
Oct 25, 2010 ACRL added it
Shelves: motw
Read by ACRL Member of the Week Scott Walter. Learn more about Scott on the ACRL Insider blog.
April Helms
Jan 01, 2008 April Helms rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all ages
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
This one takes readers on a legendary tour of Greece, combining myth and legend. It is a journal of an explorer who goes to obtain collectibles, and gets more than he bargains for.
Regina Hunter
If you have a child, I think it is THE book to have, it is interactive and fun. Suggested age is atleast 8, there are lots of parts in there, easy to get lost and make a mess.
Kailey W
So cool! The best book about mythology ever, with all the gods, it is the best book ever. It has all the answers including a little surprise in the back. Anyways a great book.
Andrew
Interesting overview of Greek Mythology. I found the story line didn't work quite so well as some of the others in the "ology" series. A good, light read.
Steven
This book is a book that tells you about Greek heroes, gods, and monsters. I would recommend this book to anyone who is studying Greek Mythology or likes it.
Zoe
Apr 09, 2012 Zoe rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mythology Lovers Anywhere!
Recommended to Zoe by: My mom
This book had lots of Greek Mythology in it and I recommend it to anyone who likes/loves mythology! I liked how there was the mini story on the sides too.
  • Monsterology (Ologies, #6)
  • Vampireology - The True History of the Fallen Ones
  • The Dragonology Handbook: A Practical Course in Dragons
  • Gods, Demigods and Demons: An Encyclopedia of Greek Mythology
  • Tales from the Odyssey, Part 2
  • The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus
  • Encyclopedia Horrifica: Terrifying Truth About Vampires, Ghosts, Monsters, and More
  • Fairyopolis: A Flower Fairies Journal
  • A Practical Guide to Dragons (Practical Guides)
  • A Treasury of Children's Literature
  • Fantasy Encyclopedia
  • Fiona's Luck
  • Tales of the Greek Heroes: Retold From the Ancient Authors
  • Pantheons (Pantheons, #1)
  • Have a Hot Time, Hades! (Myth-O-Mania, #1)
The Mythology Handbook: An Introduction to the Greek Myths