Start by marking “Wizardology: A Guide to Wizards of the World” as Want to Read:
Wizardology: A Guide to Wizards of the World

Wizardology: A Guide to Wizards of the World (Ology)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  2,464 ratings  ·  76 reviews
A MUST-HAVE FOR WIZARD LOVERS!

Here is a fascinating, in-depth almanac profiling eight different kinds of wizards.

- Features well-known and exotic wizards from the four corners of the earth, including Western wizards, South American and African shamans, Indian fakirs, Arabian sages, and more.
- Highlights each wizard’s special skills, magical objects, and favorite familiars.
Published July 17th 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Wizardology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wizardology

RLL52013_LaurenBregman
Wizardology is a very visually appealing book. It is a large book with many things to touch, open and peek into and includes gems and crystals in the front cover. It is written as if it is true and by Merlin the Wizard. This book would be considered informational fantasy because it has the appeal of being "true" and that anyone can follow these steps and concoct these potions to become a real wizard. I think this would be an enjoyable book for children who like the escape of reality and want to ...more
Randie
I loved all the facts and secrets in this book. The illustrations and captions were very detailed, beautiful, and insightful. My son really enjoyed the flaps and hidden secrets scattered throughout the book. Perhaps, the best thing about this book is that focuses on the classic tales/secrets of Merlin and wizardry. Don't get me wrong, I am all for Harry Potter but there is much more to wizardry and magic and this book is a nice introduction to that.
MissInformation
Jul 09, 2007 MissInformation rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 3rd to 6th grade
Wizardology claims to be the teacher of the secrets of Merlin, created by Merlin himself from his imprisonment in an oak tree by his disobedient student Vivienne. Merlin uses what little magic he has to “cause the oak tree to be cut down and made into this book.” p.30. The purpose of the book is to return the knowledge of true wizardology to the world. The reader is addressed as a candidate for apprenticeship. Topics covered include wizard history, wizard tools, the wizard’s workshop, familiars, ...more
Emily
Good read for fans of Merlin. The history/legend of how Merlin was born is accurate (though in the book they refer to his dad as a fairy rather than a demon, as the true legend goes) and the book does a great job of explaining the fact that learning magic is difficult. If a parent was worried about exposing their children to the evils of wizards and magic, they shouldn't worry too much with this book because the ingredients listed for "potions" are impossible to find and "Merlin" repeats again a ...more
Emma Michaels
Oh my goodness this is SOOOOO CUTE! It has so many side stories in it that are a lot of fun to read including cautionary tales tales about wizardry, stories about Merlin and fun explanations about mystical creatures, different types of wizards around the world and more. I found it on my fiance's shelf and decided I wanted to read something fun so gave it a go. It was wonderful and now I want to check out the other stories by this author but what I loved most about it what how it was formatted. I ...more
Ash
This book is one of those rare but beautifully made books that I just love to collect. I love nothing more than opening this book to gaze upon the amazing artwork and interesting and detail information that is supposedly the "Secrets of Merlin" it reminds me of the Egyptology book in several aspects, but I must admit I do enjoy reading this one more than the others.

Personally, it hasn't really shown me anything particularly new, however I do read far too much Fantasy Fiction for it to be health
Amethyst Shadow
This is such a cute book. I'd recommend it to children and adults.
R. C.
Take many diverse magickal paths from every continent on the planet. Lump all their male elders, masters, priests and shamans together under the label of "wizard." Subdivide them now by geographical proximity. Finally, illustrate their religious traditions in the style of Victorian spread-the-empire explorers' field journals, but simplify the language for children, providing just a paragraph or two of generalizations and rumors about each "wizard".

It's just like Dragonology. Only, in this book,
Dick
I really love this series. I didnt think this book was quite as good as the Pirateology but it is a very good read with great production values. I cant wait to read it with grandchildren. The art work is superb. Each page has interesting topics such as: The work of a wizard, Location of wizards in the world, Wizard's Robes and Tools and A Wizard's Menagerie of Magical Beasts. This series is like a Coffee book for kids. Each of the pages has something secret like a Magical Phoenix Leather note wh ...more
Lynnette
i hope not to offend anyone with this review. I respect those who follow their ambitions. If those who like this book chose to be a witch or wizard so be it, but as for me, "real" magic terrifies me. In my mind it is very dark. I feel very depressed and scared and sad and anxious and strange whenever I read this book. I do not like it.
Cmoore
I just love this series. Wizardology makes a beautiful addition to my library, sitting next to the Dragonology books. There is much fun between the pages with pictures and text and games: Did you know Merlin is also known by the name Taliesin? This is a must have for any student of wizardry.
Erin
I was fascinated by this book. All the -ology books have been pretty popular, but I've never flipped through one cover to cover. There were a lot of things to read, look at and discover. I'm also a big King Arthur fan, so a book by Merlin is, well, pretty awesome. There is a lot of actual folklore information in here (birds and beasties and different kinds of magicians), and so it's an interesting (and active) read.
Kids who are into fantasy, specifically wizards, should enjoy this book. Those wh
Perseonn
This is an entertaining book, accompanied with great illustration and so many things to make you feel like a real wizard. The only downside is its availability in my country :(
Mikey
Much like the Dragonology book, (I own both), I dusted this book off in order to relive/reread a childhood favourite of mine.

The series is quite light on the reading aspect, but the images and illustrations are great. This book essentially reads like Merlin's scrapbook. The authors do a great job of making the reader feel like they're being treated to the secrets of the wizarding world.

With pull-outs and small pockets with documents in and little secrets hidden throughout, this book will serve a
Aavis
Almost as good as Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons. Albeit not introducing a whole lot of new information or insight into the world of wizards and witches, Steer once again manages to make reading his book an adventure that effectively pulls the reader in - thanks to beautiful pictures as well as some spells that somehow have gotten included in it. Hmmm.
Marci
As with all the ology books I am amazed at the attention to details. Wizardology is such a fun read. The subtitle explains that this is the book of the secrets of Merlin. Where the charm of Harry Potter was the story, in Wizardology it is story, illustrations, imaginative additions like envelopes with secrets and mini-booklets with spells. I can't imagine how these are sold at Amazon.com for a mere $13 and change. The detail is astonishing and children of all ages, truly, will love the book.
Andrea
Jul 24, 2008 Andrea rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults and Children
I have to highly recommend all of the 'ology' series for children and adults alike. Both the girls (ages 8 and 13) have loved these since they discovered them. They are wonderful interactive adventurous books that will keep them entertained and reading for hours. And they are a book they will come back to time and time again. I had to actually confiscate these more than once from my older step-daughter when she would be up way past bed time searching for some new detail she hadn't seen before.
Dakota
THIS BOOK IS A BOOK FOR PEOPLE WHO BILIVE IN THIS STUFF LIKE CRISS ANGEL.IT TELLS STORIES OF MERLIN THE MAJITION WHO WAS A GREAT PERSON BUT FOR THIS BOOK IS GOOD IT HAS FLAWS THE THINGS ON THE IN SIDE PEOPLE STELL SO AS A READER IT IS A GOOD BOOK. WITH POTIONS WITCHES GOBLINS SORCERS THIS BOOK IS PERFECT FOR SOME PEOPLE. BUT FOR SOME PEOPLE IT WAS HORRIBLE OR [SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN MADE]. ME I BILIVE IT IS A AWSOME BOOK AND IS GOOD FOR AGES... 3AND UP BECAUSE 3 YEAR OLDS ARE AMAZAED BY IT
Simon
This book is just fun.
T.L. Wood
I truly adored this book! It was a lot of fun! Not only was it whimsical with different interactive things to do, it had beautiful illustrations, humorous stories and would make an enjoyable read for both children and adults alike. I used it for research project I was working on one weekend afternoon enjoying it greatly. I loved opening all the little cards, books, and surprises inside each page.
Julia
Seeing as I became strangely enamored of wizards in the last three years, when I saw this in a friend's bookshelf I went ahead and got my own copy. A fun little book with a lot of neat art and information - directed at kids, surely, but I learned quite a bit about this kind of lore that I didn't know before.
Michael
i think was a very interesting book to read. I like using the code cypher to make a code my buds can't even figure out. merlin talks about potions and magic stuff if this were real i would make a love potion...:.)
Tattered Cover Book Store
This book is on the bibliography of books challenged, restricted, removed or banned in 2007-2008 put out by Robert P. Doyle and the American Library Association. More info at http://www.ila.org/pdf/2008banned.pdf
Drucilla
Not much of a linear story throughout, but the content is something a reader wouldn't be familiar with so it's not a problem. The content was really cool. A mix of real information and made up stuff.
Cynthia
Simply amazing! The graphics were beyond my thoughts, and the information was spledid. I learned alot off of taking this book home. It's expensive, but its worth its price. Totally recommended!
Itzel
This book was hard to comprehend for the fact that I am not a ''Wizard'', but I think this is very interesting. I recommend this book to anyone into Wizards,Magic,and how to use it well.

Andrew
Speaking for all the -ology books, they're awesome. It's fun to read and it has fun ideas. The Mythology actually teaches you a whole bunch on greek myths. Good Birthday gifts.
Ubalstecha
This is a nice collection of "information" on wizards for children. Full of pull outs and tactile inserts to keep the reluctant reader going.
  • Vampireology - The True History of the Fallen Ones
  • Fairyopolis: A Flower Fairies Journal
  • Illusionology
  • A Practical Guide to Monsters (Practical Guides)
  • The Secret History of Giants
  • The Chronicles of Spiderwick: A Grand Tour of the Enchanted World, Navigated by Thimbletack
  • Fantasy Encyclopedia
  • Encyclopedia Mythologica: Fairies and Magical Creatures Pop-Up
  • I Spy Treasure Hunt: A Book of Picture Riddles
  • Goblins!
  • Vampyre
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures: The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings from Myth and Magic
  • The Discovery of Dragons
  • Stella, Queen of the Snow
  • How to Raise and Keep a Dragon
  • Oh, Yuck!: The Encyclopedia of Everything Nasty
  • Professor Winsnicker's Book of Proper Etiquette for Well-Mannered Sycophants
  • The Charm Bracelet (Fairy Realm, #1)
Until recently, Dugald A. Steer worked as an author and editor at Templar Publishing. He is the writer behind Candlewick's widely acclaimed New York Times bestsellers, DRAGONOLOGY, THE DRAGONOLOGY HANDBOOK, and EGYPTOLOGY, as well as the forthcoming EGYPTOLOGY HANDBOOK. Dugald has now given up his editorial job to concentrate on writing full-time, especially more books with "ology" in the title. D ...more
More about Dugald A. Steer...

Ology (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons (Ologies, #1)
  • Egyptology (Ologies, #2)
  • Pirateology: The Pirate Hunter's Companion (Ologies, #4)
  • Mythology (Ologies, #5)
  • Monsterology (Ologies, #6)
  • Spyology
  • Oceanology: The True Account of the Voyage of the Nautilus
  • Vampireology - The True History of the Fallen Ones
  • Alienology (Ologies, #10)
  • Illusionology
Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons (Ologies, #1) The Dragon's Eye: The Dragonology Chronicles, Volume One Pirateology: The Pirate Hunter's Companion (Ologies, #4) Monsterology (Ologies, #6) The Wizardology Handbook: A Course for Apprentices