The Garden Behind The Moon

The Garden Behind The Moon

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In the fishing village where he lives, David sits alone by the shore at night, watching the path of light that stretches across the sea until it almost touches the moon. Wondering, Where does it go? Then one day he hears a voice of the Moon-Angel.

Why not try the moon-path tonight?

As David will discover, the glimmering moonlit path leads to a magical world behind the moon-a...more
Published June 17th 2002 by Starscape (first published September 28th 1991)

Evelyn
I recognized several different stories in this novella: Jack and the Beanstalk, Adam and Eve, Cinderella (with reversed roles),Pegasus, Pandora's Box. I found the first part of the book slow and maybe repetitious, but the second half picked up. It's meant to be a children's book, but I don't know if I'd read it to children.
Marija
I’m sort of torn between giving this book a 2 or 3 star rating. The story itself is nothing really new; it read like a retelling of various Bible tales including the story of David and Goliath. Pyle’s story centers around a boy named David who finds a path to the moon. He meets the Moon-Angel who sends David on a quest to find the Wonder Box and the Know All Book and return them back to earth.

I did like Pyle’s illustrations. The figures themselves are rather rustic, but the backgrounds are grea...more
Linda
Excellent read aloud for kids. Closer to 4 stars. I realized as I read this that parts of this story were included in other fairy tales I read growing up. But I would say that this is the "original" since this author was very popular for kids well over a hundred yrs ago. Look forward to finding more by this author for my younger ones.
Linda Johnson
Though the idea of the story includes fantasy and childhood innocence, the writing style is difficult to follow and adds a heaviness to the reading that I didn't enjoy. I especially loathed the ending of this book leaving me disappointed and wanting to write my own ending.
Darleen Galarza
This was one of my favorite books while growing up. The last time I read it I was ten but I plan on re-reading within the next couple of weeks!
Kathy Hale
The story had classical elements such as different helpers along the way and the Pegasus of clasical mythology
Lilly
This is the only book I've ever read that was so horrible I had to quit reading it. I really do not like this book.
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Anne Beck
Anne Beck marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Nancy Cousintine
Nancy Cousintine marked it as to-read
Sarah added it
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Leanne
Leanne marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Lyric
Lyric marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Stephanie Riese
Stephanie Riese marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Kris Parker
Kris Parker marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Howard Pyle was an American illustrator and author, primarily of books for young people.

During 1894 he began teaching illustration at the Drexel Institute of Art, Science and Industry (now Drexel University), and after 1900 he founded his own school of art and illustration named the Howard Pyle School of Illustration Art. The term Brandywine School was later applied to the illustration artists an...more
More about Howard Pyle...
The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood The Story of King Arthur and His Knights (Signet Classics) Otto of the Silver Hand Men of Iron The Wonder Clock or, Four and Twenty Marvelous Tales