Start by marking “Parallel Lies” as Want to Read:
Parallel Lies

Parallel Lies

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  629 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Northern Union Railroad has been experiencing a series of accidents with their freight trains, but it is not until they find a freight car covered with blood that they call in outside help. Peter Tyler used to be a cop until he nearly beat a black man to death and lost his badge. When he gets a second chance via an old friend at the National Transportation Safety Board, he ...more
Published July 1st 2002 by Hachette Books (first published July 2nd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Parallel Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parallel Lies

Sue
May 07, 2010 Sue rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Unlike other Pearson books, this one just seemed to drag on and on when it could have been more "on edge" if he had cut the chase down considerably. Knowing who and why right from the start took away from the suspense.
Kerrfunk
I wanted a book to listen to on CD. This cover caught my eye, and the jacket blurb kept my attention, and it was not a million hours long. I was not disappointed.

The CD player skipped a lot on the first CD, so I missed some character introduction.

Tyler is a seasoned homicide investigator (laid off or fired, I think, but I didn't catch why) who has been brought in by the National Transportation Safety Board after an 18-month long string of train derailments. There is mystery and action, drama and
Joe White
A mystery plot with detailed detective tracking, while seeing both sides of the activist and tracker confrontation. This had the unusual aspect of being focused on railroad operations in a very detailed operational manner.

Unfortunately, the worst culprit in the book, O'Malley, worked for the railroad as head of security. His character almost overextended believable reality in being able to plot manipulative control of the main characters. No one is ever as prescient as this guy was. And if he ha
Jody
So far I've not read a Pearson book that didn't make my heart race. This one was no exception. I bought this at a library sale for a dollar and it is a hardback and looks new. Imagine the poor schmuck that let this gem go without reading it. I plan on reading all of the Pearson books I can find in my local library as soon as I get caught up with the books I have on my shelves (which are wall to wall and floor to ceiling in my study). What I like about Pearson's books is that they could happen. T ...more
Bob
Peter Tyler was a DC cop, but due to what some called uncontrolled violence he was fired and at loose ends when a friend with the NTSB hires him as a contractor to investigate an apparent murder on a box car on a train belonging to the Northern Union Railroad. He arrives at the scene in the midwest to find the local cops working the scene and a representative of the Railroads Security Branch just arriving as well. There have been a number of derailings of trains belonging to Northern Union and o ...more
Steve
Parallel Lies is a "soft-core" thriller about a guy who likes to derail trains and also about the law enforcement personnel who are trying to catch him and stop him. I call it a soft-core thriller because he isn't actually hurting anyone. He just wants to wreck trains.

As the story progresses we learn what his motives are, as well as some history behind the number one federal agent who is chasing him. In the end, it turns out that they are not so different.

While this story wasn't as gripping as o
Rebecca Williamson
This book disappointed me. While the premise of investigating train derailments was interesting, the book didn't fulfill its potential for my tastes. It didn't live up to its promise of suspense after the first 3 fantastic chapters. After that, I couldn't find any sympathy for the principle investigator, and I didn't care for the treatment of any of the women in this book.
Mom
Sick. Could have been an exciting story with trains as the background but derailed with twisted morality. A murderous terrorist is embraced in this ode to evil and we are expected to approve of the ruin, destruction and death he spews in a self righteous crusade of hate.
Linda Branich
This book interested me because I have often wondered why the US does not have a better passenger train system than we do. It is successful in Europe, and I think would be a great alternative to air travel. This book explains the obstacles to having that high-speed train service---and is a sit on the edge of your chair thriller.

I do not want to spoil the story. I found myself almost rooting for thr bad guy. He's an unusual bad guy. He has principles...to a point.

A good read, hard to put down. I
Charlene C
I normally love Ridley Pearson's books, but this one was a disappointment. I gave up on it halfway through.
Mallory
Started off slow, to the point where I was considering just dropping it. The two storylines didn't connect very well, and I couldn't see a logical motive. Then it got going and was pretty interesting.
Kai Palchikoff
Train killer avenges wife death
Glen Templeton
Pretty good but not Ridley Pearson's best.
Adam Haan
This book is about a smart criminal who sabotages trains and causes them to derail. It’s his way of finding revenge for a tragedy that happened to his family. One might think that a book about trains would create an enjoyable story. Unfortunately, that’s not the case here. There is too much bureaucracy, and not enough imagery and background. A person who reads this book will bog down with all the details. The ending is kind of interesting, however.
Fredrick Danysh
Former policeman Peter Tyler lost his career for beating a black man who was abusing a child. Now is is given a temporary job with National Transportation Safety Board to track down a man who is derailing trains for the company that is responsible for his family's deaths at a crossing guard. The rail company is conducting their own investigation for their hidden agenda. Good story line but has some explicit sex scenes which detract from the story.
Julie
Wow! What a great thriller! A man loses his family, the responsible party covers up the truth. The man seeks justice his own way, by derailing trains. All those involved in the investigation has their own agenda. The conspiracy and cover ups are spectacular. The cat and mouse game is superb. I had to wipe sweat off the palms of my hands a few times. Clever plot, well researched, fast paced, well written. A +
Douglas
A great read, particularly if you are a train buff. Pearson builds believable characters, heroes and anti-heroes, the kind you can identify with. I started reading this book on one of my boat deliveries—the owner had a hard copy on board—and I was half way through when the trip ended. I was so caught up in the story that I had to order a paperback copy, just to find out how it ended.
Alice
Excellent suspense. Hero and villain both had depth, as did the secondary characters. The plot focuses on attacks on U.S. railways. Won't do a plot spoiler, but I found the details about the trains and tracks and what can go wrong fascinating. Great story. I've liked other books by Ridley Pearson, too.
Sian
Jan 03, 2014 Sian added it
By the back book sounds so moving and that have your attention from get go but not so. Very slow move book leave it on the shelf.
Did you like the movie The Fugitive? Well this feels like that. Probably because of the trains. But also because of the guys on the run. And the agents. And the bad guys. And the injustice of it all. And the good guys winning in the end.

Overall, a decent lunchtime diversion.
Jeff Dickison
Pretty fair thriller about fellow who likes to derail trains because he has a grudge. I didn't believe the resolution and I thought there was a logical problem that was big enough to drive a Mack truck through. The rest of the story was alright. Pearson has done better.
Debbie Thompson
Railway Company gone greedy, Umberto Alvarez's wife is killed by a derailed train. The Railway company doesn't take responsibility for the accident. Umberto starts derailing trains to make them pay. Investigator Peter Tyler is on the case and comes to know the truth. Good book!
Good book about a father seeking revenge on a railroad for poor maintenance on RR crossing arms that failed to come down. He wife and two children were killed when hit by a train. Lots of train talk - enjoyed it. Good, unexpected ending.
Susan
I really like Pearson's Lou Bolt series. This is a standalone and, honestly, not really all that interesting. Umberto Alverez's wife and twins were killed when a train hit their car at a crossing. Alverez is now taking out revenge on the railroad.
Jan
While it moved a little slower than I would have liked, I enjoyed the character development and attention to detail found in this novel. Suspense was at a premium and I would have enjoyed a little more tension.
J. Ewbank
I readlly enjoyed this Ridley Pearson novel. The character of Peter Tyler is a good one and the story moves quite well.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Mary
This Ridley guy is good! Not saying that this was really better than the one I just read, but they were so different in subject & part of the country. He's got more for me, I thinks
Julie
I enjoyed the action parts but felt that the majority of the middle of the story dragged. It also did not need to go into quite the technical detail - I think that detracted a bit.
Oma
I enjoyed this book! I liked the two story lines involving the two main characters and felt sympathy for them both. I thought the train setting would bore me but found it fascinating.
Christina
Great read! Fun, but with some good character development so that you totally understood why they acted the way they did. Some good twists, but not too many to make it ridiculous.
  • Against the Wind
  • The Associate (Amanda Jaffe, #2)
  • Burn Factor
  • Gangsters at the Grand Atlantic (American Girl History Mysteries, #20)
  • Murder on the Mauretania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #2)
  • Dead Watch
  • Santa Girls (Two of a Kind Diaries, #32)
  • Pandora's Clock
  • Sacagawea: American Pathfinder
  • Mosaic
  • Pie in the Sky
  • Walt Disney: Young Movie Maker
  • Class President (An Apple Paperback)
  • April Fools' Rules (Two of a Kind, #22)
  • Double Jeopardy
  • Polar Bear Patrol (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #13)
  • Action Jackson
  • Balance Of Power (Kerry Kilcannon, #3)
Ridley Pearson is the author of more than twenty novels, including the New York Times bestseller KILLER WEEKEND; the Lou Boldt crime series; and many books for young readers, including the award-winning children's novels PETER AND THE STARCATCHERS, PETER AND THE SHADOW THIEVES, and PETER AND THE SECRET OF RUNDOON, which he cowrote with Dave Barry. Pearson lives with his wife and two daughters, div ...more
More about Ridley Pearson...
Disney after Dark (Kingdom Keepers, #1) Disney at Dawn (Kingdom Keepers, #2) Disney in Shadow (Kingdom Keepers, #3) Power Play (Kingdom Keepers, #4) Shell Game (Kingdom Keepers, #5)