Start by marking “Parallel Lies” as Want to Read:
Parallel Lies

Parallel Lies

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  757 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Northern Union Railroad has been experiencing a series of accidents with their freight trains, but it is not until they find a freight car covered with blood that they call in outside help. Peter Tyler used to be a cop until he nearly beat a black man to death and lost his badge. When he gets a second chance via an old friend at the National Transportation Safety Board, he ...more
Published July 1st 2002 by Hachette Books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Parallel Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parallel Lies

Sue
May 07, 2010 Sue rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Unlike other Pearson books, this one just seemed to drag on and on when it could have been more "on edge" if he had cut the chase down considerably. Knowing who and why right from the start took away from the suspense.
Kerrfunk
Jun 16, 2014 Kerrfunk rated it really liked it
I wanted a book to listen to on CD. This cover caught my eye, and the jacket blurb kept my attention, and it was not a million hours long. I was not disappointed.

The CD player skipped a lot on the first CD, so I missed some character introduction.

Tyler is a seasoned homicide investigator (laid off or fired, I think, but I didn't catch why) who has been brought in by the National Transportation Safety Board after an 18-month long string of train derailments. There is mystery and action, drama and
Joe White
Aug 13, 2011 Joe White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, donated
A mystery plot with detailed detective tracking, while seeing both sides of the activist and tracker confrontation. This had the unusual aspect of being focused on railroad operations in a very detailed operational manner.

Unfortunately, the worst culprit in the book, O'Malley, worked for the railroad as head of security. His character almost overextended believable reality in being able to plot manipulative control of the main characters. No one is ever as prescient as this guy was. And if he ha
Jody
Nov 01, 2011 Jody rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
So far I've not read a Pearson book that didn't make my heart race. This one was no exception. I bought this at a library sale for a dollar and it is a hardback and looks new. Imagine the poor schmuck that let this gem go without reading it. I plan on reading all of the Pearson books I can find in my local library as soon as I get caught up with the books I have on my shelves (which are wall to wall and floor to ceiling in my study). What I like about Pearson's books is that they could happen. T ...more
Bob
Dec 09, 2009 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter Tyler was a DC cop, but due to what some called uncontrolled violence he was fired and at loose ends when a friend with the NTSB hires him as a contractor to investigate an apparent murder on a box car on a train belonging to the Northern Union Railroad. He arrives at the scene in the midwest to find the local cops working the scene and a representative of the Railroads Security Branch just arriving as well. There have been a number of derailings of trains belonging to Northern Union and o ...more
Debra Daniels-zeller
Nov 15, 2015 Debra Daniels-zeller rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, crime
This was a tight story with well-crafted characters. The story, a broken guy who is intent on de-railing trains pursured by a cop, suspended from the force and needs to prove he's a great guy. The story was a page turner, though I'm not sure I was totally satisfied with the ending, and I wasn't really intrigued by the romance in this book. Overall it was a good read.
Steve
Sep 24, 2010 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parallel Lies is a "soft-core" thriller about a guy who likes to derail trains and also about the law enforcement personnel who are trying to catch him and stop him. I call it a soft-core thriller because he isn't actually hurting anyone. He just wants to wreck trains.

As the story progresses we learn what his motives are, as well as some history behind the number one federal agent who is chasing him. In the end, it turns out that they are not so different.

While this story wasn't as gripping as o
Stacy
Apr 08, 2015 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I was really ready for a book that wasn't dealing with the face of evil in all it's gory manifestations. Great characters & the evil is purely human & believably so with strong motivation. Captured my attention & held it totally, which rates a 5 since none other has had that certain something lately & I read a whale of a lot more than I review.
Sherrill Watson
Sep 18, 2015 Sherrill Watson rated it really liked it
Interesting characters, except for women. Peter Tyler is on the trail of a strangely derailed person who derails trains, in this day and age -- not an easy task. Is there a cover up in the Company as Alvarez seems to believe? Exactly who (and why) was Tyler hired again? Not worth keeping, but a good read.
Rebecca Williamson
Oct 08, 2014 Rebecca Williamson rated it it was ok
This book disappointed me. While the premise of investigating train derailments was interesting, the book didn't fulfill its potential for my tastes. It didn't live up to its promise of suspense after the first 3 fantastic chapters. After that, I couldn't find any sympathy for the principle investigator, and I didn't care for the treatment of any of the women in this book.
Ed
Aug 20, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
Thriller - Ex-cop Peter Tyler is working for the NTSB trying to find the person responsible for a bloody death in a boxcar and a series of train derailments. The railroad involved seems to know more than they are telling and Tyler is swept up in a web of deceit and murder.
Mom
Aug 31, 2014 Mom rated it did not like it
Sick. Could have been an exciting story with trains as the background but derailed with twisted morality. A murderous terrorist is embraced in this ode to evil and we are expected to approve of the ruin, destruction and death he spews in a self righteous crusade of hate.
Linda Branich
Sep 18, 2014 Linda Branich rated it really liked it
This book interested me because I have often wondered why the US does not have a better passenger train system than we do. It is successful in Europe, and I think would be a great alternative to air travel. This book explains the obstacles to having that high-speed train service---and is a sit on the edge of your chair thriller.

I do not want to spoil the story. I found myself almost rooting for thr bad guy. He's an unusual bad guy. He has principles...to a point.

A good read, hard to put down. I
Charlene C
Oct 15, 2014 Charlene C rated it it was ok
I normally love Ridley Pearson's books, but this one was a disappointment. I gave up on it halfway through.
Vaughn
Mar 23, 2015 Vaughn rated it liked it
Interesting. I actually found the antagonist a more likeable character than the protaganist.
Sais Shishir
Feb 27, 2015 Sais Shishir rated it did not like it
Painfully slow, too long while little substance, and disappointing ending. Easily the worst thriller I have ever read.
Kai Palchikoff
Train killer avenges wife death
Mary Dearden
Sep 25, 2015 Mary Dearden rated it it was ok
A little hard to get into
Ron Judenberg
Mar 01, 2016 Ron Judenberg rated it it was amazing
read
Deane Louise
Oct 24, 2015 Deane Louise rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
This was a great book and I enjoyed the storyline about the railroad.
Glen Templeton
Jul 01, 2014 Glen Templeton rated it liked it
Pretty good but not Ridley Pearson's best.
Adam Haan
This book is about a smart criminal who sabotages trains and causes them to derail. It’s his way of finding revenge for a tragedy that happened to his family. One might think that a book about trains would create an enjoyable story. Unfortunately, that’s not the case here. There is too much bureaucracy, and not enough imagery and background. A person who reads this book will bog down with all the details. The ending is kind of interesting, however.
Fredrick Danysh
Jul 15, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Former policeman Peter Tyler lost his career for beating a black man who was abusing a child. Now is is given a temporary job with National Transportation Safety Board to track down a man who is derailing trains for the company that is responsible for his family's deaths at a crossing guard. The rail company is conducting their own investigation for their hidden agenda. Good story line but has some explicit sex scenes which detract from the story.
Julie
Aug 21, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-shelf
Wow! What a great thriller! A man loses his family, the responsible party covers up the truth. The man seeks justice his own way, by derailing trains. All those involved in the investigation has their own agenda. The conspiracy and cover ups are spectacular. The cat and mouse game is superb. I had to wipe sweat off the palms of my hands a few times. Clever plot, well researched, fast paced, well written. A +
Douglas
Aug 10, 2008 Douglas rated it really liked it
A great read, particularly if you are a train buff. Pearson builds believable characters, heroes and anti-heroes, the kind you can identify with. I started reading this book on one of my boat deliveries—the owner had a hard copy on board—and I was half way through when the trip ended. I was so caught up in the story that I had to order a paperback copy, just to find out how it ended.
Alice
Jul 06, 2010 Alice rated it really liked it
Excellent suspense. Hero and villain both had depth, as did the secondary characters. The plot focuses on attacks on U.S. railways. Won't do a plot spoiler, but I found the details about the trains and tracks and what can go wrong fascinating. Great story. I've liked other books by Ridley Pearson, too.
Sian
Jan 03, 2014 Sian added it
By the back book sounds so moving and that have your attention from get go but not so. Very slow move book leave it on the shelf.
Jul 16, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
Did you like the movie The Fugitive? Well this feels like that. Probably because of the trains. But also because of the guys on the run. And the agents. And the bad guys. And the injustice of it all. And the good guys winning in the end.

Overall, a decent lunchtime diversion.
Jeff Dickison
Mar 21, 2011 Jeff Dickison rated it liked it
Pretty fair thriller about fellow who likes to derail trains because he has a grudge. I didn't believe the resolution and I thought there was a logical problem that was big enough to drive a Mack truck through. The rest of the story was alright. Pearson has done better.
Debbie Thompson
Aug 03, 2013 Debbie Thompson rated it really liked it
Shelves: ridley-pearson
Railway Company gone greedy, Umberto Alvarez's wife is killed by a derailed train. The Railway company doesn't take responsibility for the accident. Umberto starts derailing trains to make them pay. Investigator Peter Tyler is on the case and comes to know the truth. Good book!
  • Against the Wind
  • Turbulence
  • Ten Commandments Twice Removed
  • Gangsters at the Grand Atlantic (American Girl History Mysteries, #20)
  • The Case of the Mall Mystery (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, #28)
  • The Omicron Legion  (Blaine McCracken, #4)
  • Santa Girls (Two of a Kind Diaries, #32)
  • Quiller Solitaire
  • The Watchman: The Twisted Life and Crimes of Serial Hacker Kevin Poulsen
  • The Case Of The Surfing Secret (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, #12)
  • Double Jeopardy
  • The Case of the Sundae Surprise (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, #34)
  • The Case of the Clue at the Zoo (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, #39)
  • Mosaic
  • Enemy Within (Butch Karp, #13)
  • A Victorian Rose
  • The Assassin (Selena McCaffrey, #1)
  • Murder on the Mauretania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #2)
Ridley Pearson is the author of more than twenty novels, including the New York Times bestseller KILLER WEEKEND; the Lou Boldt crime series; and many books for young readers, including the award-winning children's novels PETER AND THE STARCATCHERS, PETER AND THE SHADOW THIEVES, and PETER AND THE SECRET OF RUNDOON, which he cowrote with Dave Barry. Pearson lives with his wife and two daughters, div ...more
More about Ridley Pearson...