Start by marking “28 Days Later: The Aftermath” as Want to Read:
28 Days Later: The Aftermath

28 Days Later: The Aftermath (28 Days Later (Movie))

Two idealistic scientists unwittingly developing the deadliest virus the world has ever known...A family making desperate choices as they struggle to survive the Infection's initial outbreak...A lone gunslinging survivor battling the Infected in a decimated London...Four original tales chronicling the greatest horror humanity has ever faced come together in a bloody conclu ...more
Published April 3rd 2007 by Dey Street Books

To ask other readers questions about 28 Days Later, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 28 Days Later

Dan
Nov 07, 2015 Dan rated it liked it
Don't know why it's called Aftermath...this is a prequel story to 28 Days Later.
Stephen Arvidson
Mar 20, 2016 Stephen Arvidson rated it liked it
Like most of the readers of this graphic novel, I purchased this thin tome as an admirer of the film franchise. 18 Bucks Later...I found myself tottering on the proverbial fence, exclaiming "Ghaaagh!"

Scripted by horror comic maestro Steve Niles and brought to life by three talented illustrators, 28 Days Later: The Aftermath is a collection of four short stories revolving around the initial outbreak from the first film. Stage 1: Development reveals the origins of the Rage Virus wherein two intel
Robert
Jan 24, 2013 Robert rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: 28 Days/Weeks Later fans
David
Feb 22, 2015 David rated it it was amazing
28 Days Later The Aftermath is a slightly misleading title since this book starts as a prequel too, then runs concurrently to the first movie. There are 4 chapters with the final one acting as a sort of prequel to the second film. The great writing of Steve Niles alone should please most readers, but the 3 wonderful artist Calero, Olmos, and Jones also did a great job on this. Some reviewers seemed put off by this being a graphic novel which is weird since it's pretty obviously what it is. My on ...more
Sean Duffy
Sep 26, 2007 Sean Duffy rated it it was ok
I'd like to choose 2.5 stars. It's nothing earthshattering, nor is it original, nor does it tell us much of interest at all. The book does demonstrate why it's a bad idea to switch from artist to artist in the middle of a comic. The appearance of one of the main characters changes so drastically that he doesn't even look like he's related to himself--if that makes any sense. Also, I'm not a big fan of the illustration style that resembles colorized photographs.
Rick
Aug 21, 2015 Rick rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was really more a comic book than a graphic novel. I can't say it really gave me any more insight into the story or that I found myself engrossed into the story any more. I was really interested in that some people said how engrossing it was and how it offered some really great insights into the period between the virus outbreak and the start of the movie. Overall it's pretty weak which is a shame because, as others have said it does have some really good art work and great story potential.
Andy Phillips
Oct 03, 2014 Andy Phillips rated it liked it
Shelves: zombies
I'm a big fan of '28 Days Later' and I bought this a couple of hours after seeing '28 Weeks Later' as it sounded like some interesting background material. Firstly, I should point out that it's a graphic novel, so if you're not a fan of the genre and/or the films then I would look elsewhere.

The book is divided into four short stories, charting the progress of the outbreak seen in the first film. Each one is entertaining enough in its own right, but none of them have enough time to go into much c
Hannah
Apr 05, 2012 Hannah rated it liked it
Shelves: sequential-art
This short, 112-page-long graphic novel is a movie companion of sorts to 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later. It takes place behind the scenes of the creation and outbreak of the rage virus that permeates the story of the movies. Again, this was found in my perusal of the graphic novel section of the library.

The novel is set up in four distinct sections which focus on the Stages of the Rage virus: Development, Outbreak, Decimation, and Quarantine. Each section of the novel focuses on little vignett
Shara
Dec 21, 2011 Shara rated it liked it
This graphic novel is NOT necessary to understand anything that's going on in the second movie. For that matter, seeing the second movie first kind of illuminates the events of the graphic novel. No characters cross from the first movie to the graphic novel, and no characters cross from the graphic novel to the second movie.[return][return]So what IS the graphic novel about? FIrst, it explains how the rage virus was created and why. We learn what went wrong, and all of this leads into the beginn ...more
Andy Shuping
Aug 23, 2011 Andy Shuping rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
This comic was made to fill in the gaps between the movie "28 Days Later" and its sequel "28 Weeks Later." And to fill in some of the backstory in to what caused these events. The story is told in four parts beginning with two scientists working on their latest project on-a drug that will stop uncontrollable rage. But something goes horribly wrong. The virus mutates...into an uncontrollable rage virus affecting everyone bitten by the creature as it rampages through London. It soon spreads throug ...more
Mark
Jan 21, 2015 Mark rated it it was ok
Really didn't add anything new to the original storyline from the film "28 Days".

The plague was mixed with the Ebola virus to make it more potent and spread faster....they lost control of it and it spread throughout England.

The book is comprised of four short stories. The first three were average at best but the last story was not good at all.

This is recommended for die hard fans only.
Jacquelyn
Nov 20, 2015 Jacquelyn rated it it was ok
Shelves: nook
Well that escalated quickly. Very, very short graphic novel, more like two single comics, following several people through the initial outbreak from 28 Days Later. Maybe I don't remember the movie that well, but this story didn't really seem to have much of a point besides tying in to the film's premise. Not really worth it.
Maurice
Dec 13, 2015 Maurice rated it liked it
Is a good filler if you like both movies. Provides you the origins of the virus, and tells a compelling, well put together plot. I thought it could had been a bit better than what I expected, but it isn't a bad story in all. Good for what it's worth, and good add in to the movie series.
Patricia
Aug 30, 2014 Patricia rated it liked it
Meh. Four short stories that give background on the events of the films. Each story is illustrated by a different artist, which doesn't add cohesion to the project, especially as some characters are in more than one story. It's average.
Israel
Nov 21, 2008 Israel rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Steve Niles and Dennis Calero fans
Inspirada en la peli 28 días después, Steve Niles recuenta la historia con unos pequeños cambios y agregandole unos detalles.

El primer capítulo es el mejor, a nivel de escritura y narración además de contar con las ilustraciones de Dennis Calero, cabe destacar el mejor de los 3 presentes en la novela.

El resto es realmente insipído e innecesario, más las ilustraciones de Diego Olomos son realmente decepcionantes, infantiles si se quiere.

Por suerte para el cuarto y ultimo capitulo regresa Calero p
David Bales
Jun 21, 2014 David Bales rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Can't get through much more than a graphic novel these days! Based on the Danny Boyle movie.
Samdenney
Oct 28, 2009 Samdenney rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Read this in a couple of hours after picking it up on a whim from the library. It's... about as average as it gets. That seems harsh, actually, because I did enjoy it in a "don't analyse it too hard" kind of way. It's just a zombie comic, fer Chrissakes! Some of the art is really good, especially in the first and third stories, but the writing throughout is incredibly slight even for a comic book. The overlapping characters work quite well, but overall the book is too short to really develop the ...more
Benjamin Richards
Sep 09, 2016 Benjamin Richards rated it liked it
I didn't dislike it but it wasn't ground breaking.
Peacegal
Dec 14, 2011 Peacegal rated it it was ok
A nauseating stench fills the air as the soulless creatures burst through the door. As I sit, helpless, they shamble closer and closer, their unspeakable faces twisted into hideous grins, their withered hands groping the air for their next victim. With mounting horror, I feel my own blood boiling with rage, the madness having taken over my own nervous system. Should I toss myself off the nearest precipice for the good of humanity, or should I join in the depravity?

“28 Days Later”? Nope, just ano
Becky
Nov 09, 2007 Becky rated it it was ok
So it's a graphic novel with story offshoots from the first movie. I guess it's hard to live up to such an excellent flick, but I was expecting something more. I felt I read the stories too quickly, they are more like "snapshots". Also, I had a problem with the fact they used different artisits. The characters reappear in the stories, but they look different. If "28 Days Later" the movie is the main course, then this graphic novel would be the cookie you might have as a pre-bed snack.
Andrea
Jul 10, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it
Eh. It was ok. This isn't as good as the other 28 days later comics, but it is an interesting tie-in for fans of the movies. The art was top notch. I just found the story to be a bit superficial. The other comics in this series crammed so much more depth into the about the same amount of pages. Not a bad comic at all, just not the best. I'd suggest this one to anyone who is a fan of the series as a whole, but I don't think this work really stands out by itself.
Mark Desrosiers
Jun 15, 2008 Mark Desrosiers rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
No, you don't have to read this in order to comprehend the gap between the two flicks. But if you're also addicted to "the infected", it'll sate you fine.

I too was perplexed by Nat Jones's execution of Stage 3: Decimation, which probably explains why Niles's "shooting script" for that one is reproduced at the end (a very fun read).

And Dennis Calero's two contributions here are nearly perfect.

Yet I still prefer the movies.
Kaisersoze
Sep 18, 2013 Kaisersoze rated it it was ok
A decidedly average "bridge" between the two fantastic films, 28 Days Later: The Aftermath fleshes out a few details, but adds very little of interest. To be honest, I was expecting much more from the creator of 30 Days of Night, and the artwork was middling to poor (especially in the last part where I found it difficult to tell who was who).

1.5 stars. For massive fans of the films only.
Dean
Oct 06, 2013 Dean rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Fans of Danny Boyle's Zobmie flick ("28 Days Later") may find this book somewhat interesting as it delves into the origins of the Rage virus and chronicles certain events that occur during the first month of the outbreak. Other than that this book is a serviceable post-apoc Zombie tale with very little that we haven't seen before. Kudos to Nat Jones and Dennis Calero for great artwork.
Jan
Dec 08, 2008 Jan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Jan by: saw the movie
28 Days Later The Aftermath - Bridging the gap between the original film and its sequel, 28 Days Later: The Aftermath tells the story of one of the last bands of un-infected humans in London, desperately trying to survive in the midst of the Rage virus. Will their salvation come in the form of a rescue, or an over-zealous American army determined to eliminate anything left alive?
Emilio
Comic decente para echar un rato pero sin mucho que aportar.
Se centra en la historia previa a la película de 28 días. Son 4 historias autoconclusivas situadas en la línea temporal del outbreak, entretenidas pero sin mucha chicha. Están bien narradas, el dibujo es correcto y el guión potable. Si eres fan de los zombis tienes para un rato entretenido pero no es ninguna joya.
Bryan Willis
Mar 18, 2010 Bryan Willis rated it really liked it
This graphic novel follows the plot of the original hit horror film 28 Days Later but takes a behind the scenes perspective of not only how the outbreak spread so quickly but follows the micro-stories of several people throughout various stages of the outbreak. It would be so easy to get a student who liked the movies to read this graphic novel and that's why I picked it.
Lakshana
Dec 27, 2012 Lakshana rated it it was ok
Its incredibly fast pace is its downfall, leading to poor story and character development. This should not have been a one shot, but rather a set of issues, like the other 28 Days Later comics. I don't know what this story tried to prove other than encompassing the same morals of the myth of Prometheus, which really only came into play in the last few pages.
Thomas Andrikus
Mar 12, 2012 Thomas Andrikus rated it it was ok
I was expecting something closer to the movie adaptation, but alas, I was disappointed. Spanning over a total of less than 100 page, this graphic novel is packed with action, though the "human" side of the survivors, as is apparent in the movie, is nigh nonexistent in this book.

It has a fabulous illustration though...I can give it that much.
Jordan Rowe
Jan 12, 2011 Jordan Rowe rated it really liked it
If you loved 28 Days Later, and 28 Weeks Later which I am. This book was a huge help explaining the time between 28 Days and 28 Weeks after the outbreak, how it started, and some events in between.

It's a great SUPPLEMENT for the movies. If you've never seen the movies, don't buy this, it's good but wouldn't make sense.
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 3: Hot Zone
  • The Matrix Comics, Vol. 2
  • Every Sigh, the End
  • The Gospel of the Living Dead: George Romero's Visions of Hell on Earth
  • Revival Deluxe Collection Volume 1
  • The Monster Hunter's Handbook: The Ultimate Guide to Saving Mankind from Vampires, Zombies, Hellhounds, and Other Mythical Beasts
  • Marvel Zombies Return
  • Grindhouse: The Sleaze-Filled Saga of an Exploitation Double Feature
  • Classic Star Wars: A New Hope
  • The Walking Dead, Book Twelve (The Walking Dead #133-144)
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 6: Spreading the Disease
  • Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide
STEVE NILES is one of the writers responsible for bringing horror comics back to prominence, and was recently named by Fangoria magazine as one of it's "13 rising talents who promise to keep us terrified for the next 25 years."

Niles is currently working for the four top American comic publishers - Marvel, DC, Image and Dark Horse. He got his start in the industry when he formed his own publishing
More about Steve Niles...

28 Days Later (Movie) (2 books)
  • 28 Days Later (Faber and Faber Screenplays)