Start by marking “Knight's Castle (Tales of Magic, #2)” as Want to Read:
Knight's Castle (Tales of Magic, #2)

Knight's Castle (Tales of Magic #2)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,994 Ratings  ·  129 Reviews
When the ancient toy soldier comes alive, the Old One grants Roger's wish to adventure in "yeomanly" Sherwood Forest. Will Roger earn his second wish, to save his father? Need for an operation brings Roger 11 and younger Ann to stay with bossy cousin Eliza and Jack. Can the children convince Ivanhoe to marry Rebecca over Rowena, and conquer the castle - in pjs?
Published September 2001 by Scholastic. (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Knight's Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knight's Castle

Lisa
Dec 30, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mid 20th century children's classic. I read this because it was there. At the time I was making my way through The English Patient; oh wait I am still making my way through The English Patient!
Anyhow, any book that fell in my path that was not The English Patient had a good chance of being read. This one my son had left in my room. So I read it because it wasn't The English Patient!

Really a delightful and whimsical story. I appreciated the nod to the greatest of children's fantasy writers, E.
Jane
Sep 29, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roger, a boy with a magical talking toy soldier that has been passed through his family, and his sister, Ann learn that their father is sick. As a result, they have to go to stay with their cousins, Jack and Eliza in Baltimore, Maryland. Every night they have adventures with magical toy knights. The Knight's Castle is a wonderful story full of adventure and fantasy. In the world of the toy soldiers, anything can happen if you wish it hard enough. The Knight's Castle belongs in a series (With Hal ...more
Kressel Housman
Great fun, just like the first in the series! And if you’re a fan of knights, castles, and medieval-type adventures, you might like it even better!

Like Half Magic, this is a magical adventure story featuring four kids. Like Half Magic, the kids aren’t quite in control of the magic, so it takes some funny twists and turns. And also like Half Magic, there’s character growth at the end, which adds depth to all the fun.

One thing about Edward Eager – he likes literary references. The nature of this m
Jessica
Oct 11, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really, really fun for us. Early on in the story, the children went to see Ivanhoe at the movie theater. By the copyright date, it was probably the version with Elizabeth Taylor. Being unfamiliar with the tale of Ivanhoe, we paused our reading and looked up both the book and the movie. I read the original story on the side, and we all watched a "newer" Ivanhoe movie from 1982.

The kids adored it and watched it twice. This gave us footing to read the rest of Knight's Castle which ma
Ruth
Apr 20, 2009 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second Eager book. This author is really a kick! He even puts a tongue-in-cheek reference to a Keats poem ("La belle dame sans merci") in one of his descriptions of a knight in the book. And then there's the kooky and completely delightful hodge-podge story itself, which includes a re-telling of the Ivanhoe story in a way that has to delight fans of Sir Walter Scott (even the purists!) Where else would you find Ivanhoe dumping the annoying Rowena and meeting up again with the sympathe ...more
Brad
This has been the best of Eager's books so far. I think it appealed even more to me because it focuses so much on knights, castles, and even Robin Hood (confession: Robin Hood is probably my favorite Disney movie ever). Eager has also put in several funny things for adults to catch, too. Another one that I'm eager (yuk yuk) to share with my kids.

Rating: G.
Drew
Feb 23, 2015 Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun follow-up to Half Magic featuring the children of two of the siblings from that previous book. Knight's Castle is a sort of mash-up of E. Nesbit's The Magic City and the 1952 film version of Ivanhoe. Familiarity with the former isn't necessary, but familiarity with the latter will definitely increase enjoyment of the story.

But being familiar with neither, the kids and I still enjoyed this one quite a bit. The four children featured in this book are drawn in to the world of Ivanhoe throu
Amy Gouker
Sep 02, 2015 Amy Gouker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another adorable book in the series continuing the story of Martha and Katherine's children experiences with magic.
Zenichi M.
Oct 02, 2014 Zenichi M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hey, like magic? Pick up a copy of Knight’s Castle by Edward Eager. But, even if you don’t like magic, I recommend picking up a copy. You’ll still love this terrific book. The magic begins when Roger and Ann must go to Baltimore to stay with their cousins when their father gets sick and, on the train, Roger’s toy soldier (who he calls ‘The Old One’) suddenly speaks to him. There is a present of a toy castle and knights waiting for him there, which he realizes are also magic when he is teleported ...more
Caleb Lee
Jul 28, 2014 Caleb Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've ever read, with some of my favorite characters. Hilarious and heartfelt at the same time. I can't recomend it enough!

A word of warning: much of the story revolves around the story of Ivanhoe, so if you've read Ivanhoe or watched one of the film versions, you'd enjoy this book more. Personally, I read this before I even knew what Ivanhoe was, and still loved it.
Sonia Gensler
I loved revisiting this old friend! Made me want to do a complete Edward Eager re-read.
Zana
I had forgotten this one. It is lovely.
Linnae
Roger and Ann's family are spending the summer in Baltimore, Maryland, with their cousins while their dad goes to the hospital there. They're not looking forward to being cooped up with Eliza and Jack all the time. Then on the way there one of Roger's toy soldiers, the Old One, comes alive and speaks to him--for a moment. Soon after, some gifts arrive from their Uncle Mark--a magnificent castle complete with characters and a doll house. Before long they have discovered the magic that makes them ...more
Dolly
Jan 02, 2015 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
This is the second book in the Tales of Magic series by Edward Eager. We actually read this book out of order, reading it after we'd read Magic by the Lake. It features different characters from the first book and it didn't matter too much that we'd read the books in the wrong order.

It's a wonderful tale of imagination and magic that really emphasizes the morality of a wish and that magic comes in threes. It shows how wonderful it can be for cousins to get along and work together creatively, bu
Ashley
Jul 19, 2014 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
According to Goodreads, Knight’s Castle is the second book of this series. I don’t believe it makes any difference in which order you read these first few books. However, I enjoyed reading Half Magic first and would have preferred to read Magic by the Lake afterwards just because the characters are the same. If you don’t mind a change of characters back and forth than I would just read them in the order Goodreads has listed. The only detail you miss if you skip this book is that Martha and Kathe ...more
An Odd1
Sep 26, 2013 An Odd1 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
"By my halidom!" Roger 11 wishes for "yoemanly" adventure and his father to get well from an operation in Baltimore. The most ancient of his 256+ toy soldiers, the Old One warns the boy has to earn his wishes. Roger in his pajamas wakes beside the toy castle grown life-size, blurts to villains Brian de Bois-Guilbert and de Bracy that Rebecca and Rowena hide wounded Ivanhoe.

Sister Ann piles bottles and books to create a new-fangled city in double-page 60-61 sketch, prominent central can of peas
Michelle Bridges
A good fantasy adventure story in the line of the lion, the witch and the wardrobe. But it is an older story and so the non-magical "contemporary" parts of it may seem a little out of place for today's kids. But it's a fun story of magic taking the 4 children back to the days of chivalry with Ivanhoe and Robin Hood. Overall it was entertaining, but would not be reluctant readers, more for readers who like to devour everything. 4-6th.
Amy Kannel
I didn't enjoy this as much as Half Magic; it relies much more heavily on external knowledge of literature and thus would be much more appealing to a reader familiar with Ivanhoe--which I/we are not. The chapters are also really, really long, which isn't my favorite for reading aloud. Still, in the end I liked it better than I thought, and the boys seemed really interested even though I'm not convinced they were clear on the plot or able to keep the characters straight.
Mary
May 03, 2015 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Roger's family is facing a crisis, one of Roger's toy soldiers comes to life to help him cope.
Second book (or third?) in Eager's Magic series. While it starts off promisingly enough, it loses steam when the focus switches from the soldier to the castle. Having a soldier/sensei is cool; having a creepy living castle is not. Not my favorite in the series, but 3 stars for a good start.
Karen
Mar 07, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knight's Castle is not my favorite book Edward Eager's magical series. Even so, it is a fun read.

The original children from Half Magic have grown up, and two of them have had children. The story of Knight's Castle was probably ever bit as good as the earlier Half Magic, but I just didn't warm up to the children in this book as quickly as I did to the ones in the first book.
Donald
Oct 11, 2007 Donald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The Young Of All Ages
This is probably Edward Eager's best-known book, and in most respects is probably his finest work. Once again, four children find magic in the most improbable place; in this case, a set of toy figures from the middle ages. It's a lovely fantasy; shrinking down to miniature size at night and sneaking into a playroom, to enter a medieval world of castles and knights. The illustrations in this book, and all others by Edward Eager, were by the wonderful N.M. Bodecker. They really add to the stories, ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 03, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I loved Half Magic as a kid and I have to say that it lived up the original. The kids had a magical adventure that kept me reading well into the night. I recommend it to anyone wanting a blast from the past or a good story about kids and believing in magic.
Heidi
May 30, 2014 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-kids
his was a read aloud with my kids. We all enjoyed it, and my 5 year old boy has been even more into knights since we finished it. Didn't think that was possible. It would probably be good to read Ivanhoe before this book; it is heavily referenced throughout the story.
Rowan
May 02, 2009 Rowan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love juvenile fantasy
Shelves: ya, fantasy, fiction
I just read this one recently, but when D started reading me "The Castle in the Attic", I couldn't help remarking on the similarities between the plots. However, Edward Eager did it first and (I think we can both agree) better. Four cousins visiting for the summer become involved in a magical adventure centered around and marvelous toy castle and a mysterious old toy soldier. They learn that, despite their differences in age, gender, and interests, they can all learn to get along, and wind up ha ...more
Isis
Apr 01, 2014 Isis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
I had forgotten that I had read this ages ago, back before I'd actually read Ivanhoe. (What sparked my memory was, oddly, Sir George Peabody.) What a great series this is, and of course Rebecca is way better than Rowena. :-)
Melissa
Jan 24, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Roger and Ann’s father finds out he is ill, the family must travel with him to Baltimore while he receives medical treatment. Roger and Ann move in with their cousins, Jack and Eliza, and spend their days playing with a knight’s castle and toy soldiers.

Roger’s older toy soldier comes alive and with a bit of magic he sends Roger into an unknown land. The children soon all travel into the world they’ve built with their toys and they must learn to navigate the territory which holds Robin Hood
Bart Everson
We found this one slightly tedious. Most of the book is an extended parody of "yeomanly" themes. Eager assumes his readers will have a familiarity with Ivanhoe, which seems unlikely these days.
Casceil
Jan 15, 2016 Casceil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book many times over the years, first when I was a kid, then again when I was in college. And after I became a parent I read it to my children. It's still a favorite.
Caren Johnson Estesen
I read this book aloud to my daughter in the hope that I'd be able to capture some of the magic it made me believe in when I read it as a child. It's extremely well written. Eager is a master storyteller. It's hopelessly out of date, though, and that would make it difficult to recommend to a young reader. While they'd get swept away in the stories within the story, it's hard to not imagine having to explain some of the slang and some of the mannerisms of the characters to readers. It's even hard ...more
Andrea
Mar 16, 2009 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ann and Roger must stay with their cousins in Baltimore for the summer while their father is in the hospital. They, along with their cousins Eliza and Jack, discover that the toy castle in Roger's bedroom not only appears to be a portal to another place and time, but that in that place, the children have substantial influence and responsibility. They find it's not easy to be heroes, but that with pluck and perserverance, they can change circumstances and situations for the better. We enjoyed rea ...more
  • The Magic City
  • An Enemy at Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #5)
  • The Diamond in the Window (Hall Family Chronicles, #1)
  • The Four-Story Mistake (The Melendy Family, #2)
  • Time at the Top
  • The Witch Family
  • Shadow Castle
  • The Magic Summer
  • Black and Blue Magic
  • Mary Poppins in the Park (Mary Poppins, #4)
  • Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3)
  • The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet (Mushroom Planet, #1)
Eager was born in and grew up in Toledo, Ohio and attended Harvard University class of 1935. After graduation, he moved to New York City, where he lived for 14 years before moving to Connecticut. He married Jane Eberly in 1938 and they had a son, Fritz.

Eager was a childhood fan of L. Frank Baum's Oz series, and started writing children's books when he could not find stories he wanted to read to h
More about Edward Eager...

Tales of Magic (7 books)
  • Half Magic (Tales of Magic, #1)
  • Magic by the Lake (Tales of Magic, #3)
  • The Time Garden (Tales of Magic, #4)
  • Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • The Well-Wishers (Tales of Magic, #6)
  • Seven-Day Magic (Tales of Magic, #7)