Start by marking “A Summer of Discontent (Matthew Bartholomew, #8)” as Want to Read:
A Summer of Discontent (Matthew Bartholomew, #8)

A Summer of Discontent (Matthew Bartholomew #8)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  336 ratings  ·  23 reviews
It is 1354, and the Bishop of Ely has been accused of a most terrible murder. Glovere was steward to Lady Blanche de Wake, a close relative of the King. A malicious gossip, his body was discovered days after the Bishop had publicly threatened him. Protesting his innocence, the Bishop summons Cambridge proctor Brother Michael to help clear his name. When Michael and his fri ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published June 6th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Summer of Discontent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Summer of Discontent

Mel Fouch
When a series of books is set in a particular location, setting one of the stories elsewhere can be a bit of a risk, especially in a series like this where the location is such a feature of the books that it almost takes on the status of a character.

However, Susanna Gregory's writing ability seems to have improved with each successive story and in this one, set in Ely rather than the usual Cambridge, she paints such a vivid picture of the town and priory that the change in location added to my
Ioana
I usually like Gregory's complex plots even though they can be overdone and not fully believable, but this mystery is just ridiculous; in the end we find out that everyone committed one crime or another, that there are at least 3 if not more different murderers and even more who are complicit...

Also, there's two other items that strung the wrong chord, and for which I would give any other book "2" or "1" stars out of 5, but I'm giving Gregory the benefit of a "3" because I love this series:

* the
Lacey
I enjoyed this book except for one thing: a word that was used thrice in short order.

Now I'm not opposed to writers using certain words within a character's dialogue. When used in the prose, however, I do not like it, because it makes me think it reflects on the author instead of the character, rightly or wrongly.

I'm not saying she's racist, so don't get up in arms about that. I know that the word has a different etymology entirely and just sounds like the offensive term. And the author being En
Spuddie
#8 Matthew Bartholomew historical mystery set in 1350's Cambridge, UK. Matthew (a physician and professor at Michaelhouse College at Cambridge University) and his friend Michael (a monk and also an agent of the Bishop of Ely) are off to Ely at a summons from the Bishop. Matt is accompanying his friend but hopes to spend time in the library at the Priory there to gather more information for the treatise on fevers he's working on. Of course, upon arrival, they discover that the Bishop has summoned ...more
Amy
Bartholomew and Michael are summoned to Ely to clear the Bishop de Lisle of murder charges.
... I've started becoming able to predict whichever character is behind all the mischief pretty consistently.
Jeanette
Loved this book. Gregory has an amazing ability to describe a perfectly benign event and you suddenly realize you are chuckling then full out laughter. This has been my favorite of all of her books. I kept thinking that I knew exactly who it was then would be proved wrong, then the next and again wrong. Mysteries need to do that. When you know who it is and each step of the way you are proved right - where is the mystery? This book has so many things going on (but not to worry it was easy to kee ...more
David Brown
Not one of the best in the series. Took a long time to get into the plot and the high body count did make it easier to work out the killer from who was left standing
Sharon
I enjoy Susanna Gregory's medieval mysteries. The only fault I can find is some of the language is more contemporary..but the story is so good I can overlook that. :)
Monica Willyard
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Each entry in the series gets better with time. I love to see how the characters grow and develop.
Carole-Ann
I have the June 2003 PB edition published by Sphere
Henriette Gyland
Having read and enjoyed other medieval who-dunnits I picked this one up expecting more of the same, and wasn't disappointed. Although more slow-moving than others in the genre, there was a wonderful interplay between the main characters, Michael and Bartholemew and definite undertones of "The Name of the Rose" because of a quirky cast list. The humour did occasionally sit a little uneasily with the serious subject matter, but it was a cracking who-dunnit which left me guessing right up until the ...more
Kalendra Dee
Ely in 1354 is a hotbed of insurrection. When the Bishop of Ely is accused of murder, Brother Michael and his physician colleague, Bartholomew, are dispatched to sort out the mess. Upon arriving, they encounter a band of gypsies, a mysterious spate of robberies, a nasty novice monk, and another murder!
Angie Taylor
Though the story is as engaging and satisfyingly bloodthirsty as the others in the series, the length of the individual chapters can be off-putting. This is not a chapter before bed type of book unless you can get by on very minimal sleep.
Bryan
May 27, 2012 Bryan added it
I'm beginning to become familiar with Susanna Gregory's books. I was suspecting Henry as the killer before I was even half way through the book. There was still some good plot twists and red herrings that made it very enjoyable.
Georgia Lengyel
A little longer than it needed to be. Too much repetition of the "bad" monks and townspeople.
Lesley
Another good medieval crime novel by Susanna Gregory. You can rely on her history and her plots, though I wish she would do less direct explanation at the end.
Stacey
Fun that it takes place in Cambridge and Ely, but by the end there were so many deaths and other confusions I was bored reading the sum-up.
Ankur
Oct 04, 2011 Ankur rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
This is the first that i read of this series, and must say liked it thoroughly!

Not quite shardlake, but not too bad either... :P
i prefere the stories based in Cambridge but it was nice to finally meet the bishop and learn about Michaels monastry.

good story.
John Hanscom
Not as good as the others I've read, as the plot was convoluted to the point of confusion at times; nevertheless, I enjoyed reading it.
Mary G.
A very good historical novel. Great characters.
Heather Williams
Another great Bartholomew mystery
Kim
Excellent!
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Gianna
Gianna marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
  • A Tapestry of Murders (Stories told on Pilgrimage from London to Canterbury, #2)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
  • The Hunter's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #13)
  • The Ravens of Blackwater (Domesday, #2)
  • The Spider's Web (Sister Fidelma, #5)
Susanna Gregory is the pseudonym of Elizabeth Cruwys, a Cambridge academic who was previously a coroner's officer. She writes detective fiction, and is noted for her series of mediaeval mysteries featuring Matthew Bartholomew, a teacher of medicine and investigator of murders in 14th-century Cambridge.

AKA Simon Beaufort

She writes detective fiction, and is noted for her series of mediaeval mysterie
More about Susanna Gregory...

Matthew Bartholomew (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • A Plague on Both Your Houses (Matthew Bartholomew, #1)
  • An Unholy Alliance (Matthew Bartholomew, #2)
  • A Bone of Contention (Matthew Bartholomew, #3)
  • A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4)
  • A Wicked Deed (Matthew Bartholomew, #5)
  • A Masterly Murder (Matthew Bartholomew, #6)
  • An Order for Death (Matthew Bartholomew, #7)
  • A Killer in Winter (Matthew Bartholomew, #9)
  • The Hand of Justice (Matthew Bartholomew, #10)
  • The Mark of a Murderer (Matthew Bartholomew, #11)
A Plague on Both Your Houses (Matthew Bartholomew, #1) An Unholy Alliance (Matthew Bartholomew, #2) A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4) A Bone of Contention (Matthew Bartholomew, #3) A Conspiracy of Violence (Thomas Chaloner, #1)