Start by marking “The Mystery of the Song Dynasty Painting” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Song Dynasty Painting

The Mystery of the Song Dynasty Painting

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  591 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Following a fall at the river town of Feng Jie, Chinese Cinderella is whisked away to hospital. As she lapses in and out of consciousness, she is haunted by vivid dreams that seem strange yet somehow familiar to her.
Published August 1st 2009 by Puffin Books

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Song Dynasty Painting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Song Dynasty Painting

By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls WilderOn the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls WilderWitch Week by Diana Wynne JonesThe Darkangel by Meredith Ann PierceGhosts I Have Been by Richard Peck
From Childhood
20th out of 53 books — 3 voters
Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen MahChinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen MahWatching the Tree by Adeline Yen MahA Thousand Pieces of Gold by Adeline Yen MahA Thousand Pieces of Gold by Adeline Yen Mah
Best of Adeline Yen Mah
10th out of 10 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Dana Kurniawan
May 25, 2014 Dana Kurniawan rated it did not like it
I have to be honest, that with many people in my english class now starting to read books that are chinese-classics influenced, most prominently by the cultural revolution this is a warning to spend your time on books more worthwhile to read. I felt that the plot here was incredibly scarce and not supported. Also, I feel that Adeline Mah is taking the whole chinese cinderella story a bit too far and this was the stand point for me.

I'd say that for books about the cultural revolution or is cultu
Ayunda
Dec 05, 2009 Ayunda rated it liked it
Bought in Singapore.

I first thought it's a not too interesting book (because I've never read a book about China), but it's actually fun.
A great idea and topic for a book, and I really like the story, it's very interesting. I really want to know what happened to Mei Lan! Great book!
Gracie La
Apr 17, 2013 Gracie La rated it really liked it
I didn't like the ending but it is still an Awesome book!!!!!!!!
Angela Chen
Oct 05, 2013 Angela Chen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I am thoroughly impressed.

I sooo love the plot of the story!

Set in the 1940s...

This book follows the story of a twelve-year-old girl named CC who ran away from home and joined the Secret Dragon Society.

She was instructed by Grandma Wu, head of the Secret Dragon Society, to buy food in the river town of Feng Jie.

She sensed someone following her so she ran. And ran and ran. Until she fell from a roof then fell into a coma.

On awakening, she underwent hypnosis and recalled the life she led 800 years
Chiara
Nov 02, 2011 Chiara rated it really liked it
i started to read this book because i had read two of the other books that Adelind Yen Mah has written and i loved them so much so i thought i might try another one.
the category i put this book in was that this book teaches you about another culture because this book tells you the things about how life was like in the anceint chinese days.
the things i found interesting in this book was that it related the Friendship , Family and Life and how she had woken up one day and reflashed about her past
Sian Moriarty
Cin Dee
Jan 11, 2013 Cin Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I read the book Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah, I had started to read other books that were written by her. The book Chinese Cinderella the Mystery of the Song Dynasty Painting was indeed a fantastic book written by her which did not disappoint me. I was totally attracted by this book once I started reading it. This book has an interesting story about friendship and family. It was well written with detailed descriptions and has an excellent plot. The everyday life of the Song D ...more
Emily Rawlings
This book was honestly boringly dreadful. The two books before this were great but this book was really lacking in a good storyline. I rated this a two because the idea of the story was really great but it just didn't fold out well.
Sophia
Mar 18, 2014 Sophia rated it really liked it
This is such a gorgeous story. I loved it. I will definitely put it on my list of books to recommend to my daughter when she grows up.
FOURTEINO.A
Apr 08, 2011 FOURTEINO.A rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gives us a taste of adeline's childhood. Her cruel siblings never forgave her for causing the death of their long lost mother. They treated her like she wasn't part of their family. Her father had never favoured her which means that she was on her own throughout this battle with her cruel siblings. As she grew up she had looked back at her childhood and never wanted to go through that ever again,but she finally made it on her own. I hope there are no children out there who are treated ...more
Caitlin Boyes
Feb 17, 2014 Caitlin Boyes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book recommend 100% it's the best book I've ever and that's saying something.
Alisha Huang
Apr 08, 2012 Alisha Huang rated it it was amazing
I think this is a great book (sequel to Chinese Cinderella, the story of a unwanted girl) the only thing I would say is it can be quiet confusing at times and only until the end I realized how the story went. Its about the great painting the song dynasty. CC falls of a roof and then she all of a sudden has a connection between Zhang Mei Lan and herself. Only to find that Zhang Mei Lan is actually her ancestor. Great book but pretty sad too...
Nandar
CC has a serious fall at the river town of Fengjie. She recovers physically but she keeps dreaming of another life. CC recalls her previous life, as Mei Lan. Mei Lan is a young talented girl and she was friends with an orphan boy named Ah Zhao, who is an amazing painter. It a tale of friendship, family and life. Its a beautifully set story that shows you glimpses of what life was like in the ancient Chinese days.
Lindee
Jun 29, 2012 Lindee rated it it was amazing
I totally loved this book!!!! Even though I read this book and not even the slightest bit of the first one (didn't know it was a sequel ;) it was amazing.I think the way they told the story (w/ C.C. being under hypnosence, and talking as a pass recarnated life) is truelly a unique and interesting way to tell a story.
Popsicle
Jul 05, 2011 Popsicle rated it liked it
Ok, It had quite a slow start and the story just wasn't moving enough, until where everything really begins. I was starting to get the story and was so dragged into it when she suddenly woke up and BAM, never found out what happened to her when she fell off the wall >.<
Pamela S
Feb 06, 2012 Pamela S rated it really liked it
This book is just another version of the original chinese cinderella, but this book has the fictional spices to differentiate the story from the original and the author has added a bit of a twist inside the book. Well written with good use of language, well done.
Kate
Apr 27, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! It makes me think how my life might have been if I lived then. I could have been a slave or had my feet bound-yeesh! :/ all in all, I love Mei Lan's (main character) ideas and her independence in a time when women were considered so dumb and useless.
Aimee
Jan 04, 2012 Aimee rated it really liked it
This book made me feel like i was there right in the book. It is easily one of my favourite books. I first got it from my school library and loved all of them so much i bought them so now all I have to do is wait for my cousin to give them back!!
Tess Toulmins
Oct 03, 2014 Tess Toulmins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this when I was in year 5 and it was the first challenging book I had ever read. This book made me enjoy reading, I loved it so much. It kept me guessing and it was beautifully written.
Debbie
Nov 25, 2009 Debbie marked it as to-read
OMG! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! SHE WROTE ANOTHER ONE! YAYYY!!! :D
I LOVED THE PREVIOUS BOOKS SO MUCH! they were so touching! can't wait till it comes out in the library! :D
Jesmine Aw
Its actually quite a good book. But i do not really like it because it's talking about the past and there is not exactly a very nice climax.
Tashiii
Dec 24, 2010 Tashiii rated it really liked it
I thought it was a good and interesting story and that it was worth read, but is it a book i'm willing to read again? No.
Payal
Mar 11, 2011 Payal rated it it was amazing
this is a really sad story. but its really good
its just like cinderalla.
i felt sorry for the little girl
Aaliya
Mar 15, 2015 Aaliya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deebah
Aug 02, 2012 Deebah rated it really liked it
Its a really nice stroy. Irecommend it to anyone who wants to read a nice & advantures story
Emily Guest
Adeline Yen Mah, an amazing writer!
the 3rd book of the series.
couldn't put it down!
Caoimhe Ní Mhaicín
A great read. Very enjoyable and highly recommended!
Sarina
Oct 04, 2010 Sarina rated it liked it
Interesting mixture of history and fiction...
Kathy Chung
Mar 06, 2013 Kathy Chung rated it liked it
Good story but hate the cliffhanger ending
Kowthar Shimirty
REALLLLY EMOTIONAL

I RATE IT
  • Pharaoh
  • The Locket of Dreams
  • Song of the Slums
  • Adventure According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #5)
  • Lovingly Alice (Alice Prequels #3)
  • Breakfast at Sadie's
  • Diana, Princess Of Wales: A Tribute
  • The Shiny Guys
  • The Museum of Mary Child
  • Strange Objects
  • Six Crises (Richard Nixon Library Editions)
Adeline Yen Mah (Chinese: Yen Jun-ling; Pinyin: Mǎ Yán Jūnlíng; Yale (Cantonese): ma5 yim4 gwan1 ling4) (official birthday 30th November 1937, however real birthday not known, this is in fact her father's birthday) is a Chinese-American author and physician. She grew up in Tianjin, Shanghai and Hong Kong with an older sister, Lydia; three older brothers, Gregory, Edgar and James and a younger half ...more
More about Adeline Yen Mah...