Start by marking “The Story of God” as Want to Read:
The Story of God

The Story of God

This modern age, so dominated by science, is also the age in which belief in God or an afterlife is more vigorous than ever. In this groundbreaking book, the author, a respected scientist, examines this relationship across time, beginning with the primitive worship of our early ancestors, and concluding with a vivid portrait of faith in the modern world.
Published October 17th 2005 by Bantam Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of God

Sep 14, 2014 Anthony rated it it was ok
Shelves: religion
This book really deserves 3 stars. I gave it 2 for the following reasons:

1) The author uses BCE/CE, which is awful.
2) The author uses the word 'myself' when he should use 'me': "...of their attacks on people like myself"
3) He will say things like "Pilate, a notorious hanging judge with no sympathy for upstarts". According to who? No footnote. A Jewish crowd may or may not have chanted for Jesus' death. The fact that it is used as an argument by anti-Semites doesn't make it false.
Apr 05, 2016 Çağdaş rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tanrı'nın Öyküsü'nü sanırım 3-4 yıl önce okumuştum.
Hayatımı değiştiren demeyeyim de taşları yerine oturtan kitaplardandı. Kendisi Yahudi olan R. Winston'ın dinin ve dogmatik inançların kökenine inerken bu kadar nesnel davranması takdire şayan.
Kitabın yanılmıyorsam sonunda şöyle bir konu vardı: Winston, aslında tüm dinlerin insan zekasının ürünü olduğunu savunuyor ( kanıtlıyor ) bunla ilgili kitaplar yazıp, belgeseller yapıyıor ama yine de her Cumartesi Sinagog ayinlerine katılıyor. Dostları bu d
Nov 12, 2013 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Robert Winston more than I like his books.

He comes across as a jolly decent chap, but one who manages to write in a way that is both fascinating and boring at the same time.

This book is no different.

The premise is the role that "the divine idea" plays in human psychology. He's right to argue that it must have a positive impact on individuals and society or evolution would have weeded it out, but he doesn't really explore this beyond stating that it helps to bring people together and prov
Leanne Hunt
Mar 14, 2015 Leanne Hunt rated it really liked it
An incredibly well-researched and fascinating overview of the three main monotheistic religions and their development over time, this book offers a balanced and thoughtful perspective on the role spirituality plays in our lives and its impact on society in general. I particularly enjoyed the sections on the earliest evidence of human religious belief and practice, and on fundamentalism today. It is intriguing to note the difference between religion that binds people into groups and the kind of r ...more
Yasin S.
Aug 24, 2016 Yasin S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Yazarın başka bir eserini okumamıştım. Kitaba ilk başladığımda dinleri kıyasıya eleştirecek bir ateist yazar bekliyordum. Ama yazarın dini geleneklerine bağlı bir yahudi olduğunu öğrenince baya şaşırdım.
Buna ragmen ateist veya teist kimsenin canını sıkmadan okuyacağı gayet bilgilendirici ve akıcı bir kitap yazmış. Fakat bir nokta dikkatimi çekti. Yazar kendi yahudi inancının geleneklerini de çok derine inmeden tartışıyor. Hatta hristiyanlığı (haklı olarak) baya eleştirmiş. Ama nedense islam ko
Elif Sağırkaya
Mar 08, 2013 Elif Sağırkaya rated it liked it
details about christianan jewish history were hard too read,in my opinion.
but i liked the book generally.especially the evolution of 'god idea',really interesting.
Feb 19, 2014 Eoin rated it liked it
An engaging book, written in a very clear, well communicated style that attempts to chart the development and history of religion in the world.The book contains much interesting information and insight into Christianity and Islam and I found it greatly enlightening on the philosophy and development of Judaism, a subject about which I discovered I knew very little indeed. The particular emphasis given to Judaism is unsurprising as the author is himself Jewish.

While much of the book was interestin
Azimah (previously Hamizao) Othman
A person's search towards the understanding of religion from a scientific perspective. So far, his opinion has been fair. He takes us through ancient beliefs and all and espouses his own ratification of the circumstances of the time that developed the divine thoughts.

His introduction to Christianity is somehow quite unexpected. His views on religious schisms and acts of heresy more so under the cloak of divinity, drive a note on the troubles of the world throughout time but maintains a kind appr
Amithanand D'silva
Jan 16, 2015 Amithanand D'silva rated it really liked it
A very comprehensive book dealing with the concept of God from prehistoric man to the present day. Robert Winston has done extensive research on both monotheists and polytheists regions and touched upon the other concepts of God.

Being a believer himself he has manage to maintain an unbiased perspective throughout the book and being an Atheist myself, I found it very intriguing.

This is book that needs to be read at leisure and with a lot of curiosity, although there is a theme building over the
Aug 12, 2014 Ricksuter rated it really liked it
Some interesting points raised but Winston doesn't really explain how science and religion can work without contradiction. He provides a good analysis of fundamentalism but some of the chapters on the history of religion are a bit dull.
Louise Armstrong
Jan 12, 2014 Louise Armstrong rated it it was ok
Stuffed full of facts. Tons of facts, mostly about older religions. I put it down for a week and read a chapter twice before realising that I had read it before, and had forgotten all those facts in a week. Oh, dear!

There's nothing wrong with this book, but there's no strong idea making the facts relevant, or memorable.
Jul 20, 2012 Ganesh rated it liked it
how do you reconcile religion and science, the former is intuitive and the latter objective. the author tries to explain the need for both without excluding either. tracing the origins OG religion and god/the divine idea and tracing it to the 21st century this book tries to reconcile both ideas. it is also a rather good primer of the abrahamic faiths. I just wish there had been a bit more on eastern religions as well. at times it can be a bit long but overall worth the time and effort.
Nov 01, 2009 Melissa rated it liked it
Interesting look at the history of how "God" and religions have changed over the centuries. Unfortunately, too many side stories skipped around and often left me confused.
Nov 20, 2008 Inma rated it really liked it
Nice book to start reading about the history of religion from a more or less neutral stand. Easy to read. Very nice book.
Sep 03, 2011 Lugwigvan rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book for it's history of religion, which, to me, emphasised the fictional and means-to-an-end nature of religion.
Charlie Muench
Charlie Muench marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Helder is currently reading it
Oct 13, 2016
Kerem marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
Ekrem Yumlu
Ekrem Yumlu is currently reading it
Oct 19, 2016
Mark Armstrong
Mark Armstrong rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Beyza Çalıkoğlu
Beyza Çalıkoğlu is currently reading it
Sep 27, 2016
Ebru Zorer
Ebru Zorer is currently reading it
Sep 27, 2016
Yusuf Ak
Yusuf Ak rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Fatal rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
enis marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Murat rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
Eliot Davila
Eliot Davila marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Mark Massias
Mark Massias rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
  • The Necessity of Atheism
  • Bookkeeping For Dummies
  • The Humans Who Went Extinct: Why Neanderthals Died Out and We Survived
  • A Study of History, Abridgement of Vols 1-6
  • The Archimedes Codex: How a Medieval Prayer Book Is Revealing the True Genius of Antiquity's Greatest Scientist
  • Delia's How to Cook: Book Two (Delia's How to Cook #2)
  • The Human Body Book: An Illustrated Guide to Its Structure, Function and Disorders
  • The Art of the Renaissance
  • A Monk in the World: Cultivating a Spiritual Life
  • The Dream of Rome
  • Becoming Human: Our Past, Present and Future
  • The Romanovs
The Right Honourable Professor The Lord Robert Maurice Lipson Winston
More about Robert Winston...