Start by marking “Arthur's First Sleepover: An Arthur Adventure” as Want to Read:
Arthur's First Sleepover: An Arthur Adventure

Arthur's First Sleepover: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  719 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
D.W. provides excitement to Arthur's campout with his friends by appearing as an alien
Published October 3rd 1994 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Arthur's First Sleepover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arthur's First Sleepover

Laurie
Apr 28, 2014 Laurie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ting Zhang
Nov 04, 2015 Ting Zhang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is appropriate for ages 7 to 8 in early childhood classrooms. The book “Arthur’s First Sleepover” was written by Marc Brown. It talks about Arthur invited two of his friends Brain and Buster over for a sleepover in his tent and what happens to them during that night. They all have a great time during Arthur’s first sleepover. I like this book because it provides beautiful pictures with vibrant colors. This story is very humor, cute, and mysterious. It also relates to friendships, knowl ...more
Ashly Schuette
In Arthur's First Sleepover, Arthur invites his friends the Brain and Buster over for a sleepover. The talk around the town that day is that someone spotted an alien ship in the sky. This leads into the intensity of the boy's sleepover that night in the yard. They are spooked by sounds, footsteps, lights, but they all turn out to be Arthur's family or the pizza delivery guy. Arthur and his friend's stay up most of the night telling stories, and doing everything except for sleep.

The genre of this
Felicity The Magnificent
James
Feb 18, 2014 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably one of the more terrifying Arthur books, which sees the town living in fear of an alien invasion. We see Arthur, Buster, and Brain crumbling with the threat of invasion, while D.W., ever the stalwart warrior, laughs in the face of the unknown. You can't really go wrong with Arthur books, I like pretty much all that I have read.
Tiffany
Feb 13, 2014 Tiffany rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
I don't really like Arthur books or shows or movies or anything to do with Arthur. I don't know what came first, the book or the show, but I'm pretty sure I've watched this story before, so it was easy to make the voices. This is another book Deacon picked up from his school library.
Christin
Feb 08, 2016 Christin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a cute book. Great illustration of relationships between siblings. I am a nanny and the kid I take care of loves this book.
Rida
Oct 22, 2014 Rida rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the TV show!!!! Even now
Rachelolivia
Jun 02, 2015 Rachelolivia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
II
Monalisa Johnson-brown
This is about Arthur and his friends. he wanted to have a sleepover but his friend Buster had a problem but Arthur's mom solved it. They had the sleepover and Arthur's dad brought them pizzas and told them it was bedtime after. They were telling scary stories when they saw a light like it is moving, they thought it was real and ran with the tent and ended up charging into a tree. It was his sister D. W. playing tricks on him. He played one on her and she got so scared that she started to scream.
Sue Pak
The children are very familiar with Arthur and it's television show. Kids like things that are familiar to them. You can make text-to-text connections with other Arthur books, or text-to-self connections. You can also talk about being kind to others and not pulling pranks.

I recommend the Arthur books to any grade. Kids from kindergarten all the way to fifth will love reading and hearing these books.
Shelby Everitt
Nov 29, 2012 Shelby Everitt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arthur's First Sleepover is a really cute story about Arthur having his first sleepover while the town says they saw a spaceship. His sister decides to prank him and his friends into thinking there is a real spaceship. However, Arthur gets her back. They all have a great time. I love the Arthur books and would definitely read them to my class.
Molly
As a huge fan of the television series, I was greatly disappointed at the lazy and sub-par writing of the books. The illustrations are very poorly done as well (especially if you have older editions of the books). Not good. just watch the show; it's on at seven on PBS every morning.
Lacey Mcmanaway
This book is great for teaching how to use prior knowledge. It also useful for showing friendship and sibling bonds. It is a slightly lengthy book, but makes a great read aloud. They students love to make predictions throughout the story.
Kelsey Nauert
Nov 17, 2011 Kelsey Nauert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Arthur plans his very first sleepover and D.W. is determined to scare the boys. The joke is on her though because they end up scaring her. This can teach students about sibling relationships, that you should be friends not enemies.
Dolly
May 27, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
This is a fun book in the "Arthur" series. The anticipation of a sleepover combined with the hijinks that go on during it bring back lots of memories and is very engaging for children. It's a good book to read aloud.
ABC
Aug 25, 2008 ABC rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-kids
Arthur has a sleepover outdoors, but beware of aliens! Of course it is just DW scaring them, and Arthur and his pals scare her back with their own alien.
Theresa
Sep 12, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
good early reader, using text to relate to the television show many of the stories hae been repeated in the show. growing up
Cana
Aug 07, 2008 Cana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mommy says: Oh, that naughty D.W. My kids (5yo and 3yo) love Arthur and D.W. books right now.
Libby
This was a great book and I enjoyed all of the books in the Arthur book series
Jessie
Nov 15, 2012 Jessie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoyed reading the books and watching the TV show.
Dian Nanda
Nov 15, 2013 Dian Nanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
nice book for kids:)
Steph
Jan 03, 2012 Steph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Cute!
Clare V
Clare V rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Rachael
Rachael rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Oliver Pavia
Oliver Pavia rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
CJ
CJ added it
May 16, 2016
The Book Crusader
The Book Crusader rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
  • Curious George and the Dump Truck
  • The Bear Scouts (Beginner Books)
  • George and Martha Back in Town
  • Franklin Plays The Game
  • Clifford's First Valentine's Day
  • The Class Pet from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #11)
  • The Littlest Pilgrim
  • I Spy Fantasy: A Book of Picture Riddles
  • Bye-Bye, Mom and Dad
  • Tooth Trouble
  • Fancy Nancy and the Late, Late, LATE Night
  • Ruby In Her Own Time
  • Olive, My Love
  • Curious George Goes to the Beach
Marc Tolon Brown is perhaps best known for his Arthur series of children's books.

He lives on Martha's Vineyard and in New York City with his wife, Laurie Krasny Brown. He has three children, sons Tolon and Tucker, and daughter Eliza. The names of his two sons have been hidden in all of the Arthur books except for one: Arthur's Tooth.
More about Marc Brown...

Arthur Adventure Series (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Chicken Pox: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Tooth  (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Eyes (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Christmas (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Baby (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Teacher Trouble (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Underwear (Arthur Adventure Series)