Start by marking “100 Best-Loved Poems” as Want to Read:
100 Best-Loved Poems

100 Best-Loved Poems

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  564 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Popular, well-known poetry: "The Passionate Shepherd to His Love," "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" "Death, be not proud," "The Raven," "The Road Not Taken," plus works by Blake, Wordsworth, Byron, Coleridge, Shelley, Emerson, Browning, Keats, Kipling, Sandburg, Pound, Auden, Thomas, and many others. Includes 13 selections from the Common Core State Standards Init ...more
Paperback, (Dover Thrift Editions), 101 pages
Published October 4th 1995 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about 100 Best-Loved Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Best-Loved Poems

Taymara Jagmohan
What will you do when your heart becomes too open, but you grow to realize there is never a caution as "too much"?

This book, coined with the veils of grace from the hearts of our well-known poets, helps you to enjoy being you.

It allows you to think in the imagination of love, and helps to foster growth and emotions.

It is supreme.

I fell in love with this line from Sonnet XCIV:

- for sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds. Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds.

Beautiful piece by the lo
Linda Lipko
I spent a restful rainy Sunday evening savoring the wonderful words, phrases and lyrical joy of reading this marvelous compilation of poetry.

Beginning with The Ballad of Lord Randal through Dylan Thomas’ Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, I was transformed to a world where writing was concise, crisp, clear and every word was laden with meaning.

As the rain splashed on the sky light in the living room and the thunder clapped, I sat in an overstuffed chair, cup of tea in hand and delighted in t
Leslie
Whoa, Nelly what a surprise. This book was supposed to be just a little something to bump up my Amazon to $25 to get free shipping right? I keep a wish list full of Dover Thrift around for just that purpose and selected this one cos during the busy holidays it's nice to have books lying around to just read over any 5 minutes that may be free. For less then $2 I figured this would do because of only one poem I noticed that it contained: Do Not Go Gently Into That Good Night by Dylan Thomas. My pe ...more
Brendan
The fourth, and final, Dover poetry anthology I am reviewing. As with the others, it is an easily portable, inexpensive book.

Includes work by 58 poets. Ten were born before 1600, another six in the 17th century, twelve in the 18th century, and two in the 20th century. So 28 were born in the 19th century. There are five selections from John Keats, and four each from Shakespeare, Emily Dickinson, and William Blake. Other big names represented are Poe, Whitman, Yeats, Frost, Sandburg, and Cummings
Emily Murphy
Note: This is a hard book to rate, as it is made up of many smaller poems, but I will try nonetheless. All of the ratings are on a scale of 1-10, ten being the best.

Quality of Writing: 7
Who knew poetry could be good? I certainly didn't. I hadn't been exposed to much poetry in school, and some of these poets' grasps on language was truly remarkable and a challenge to me as a writer. Some, of course, was the not-so-great stuff that I had learned in school, bringing this rating slightly down.

Pace:
Michael
This is a good selection of poems. It tends to have the classics that people should be familiar with and does have some that my Anthology of American Poetry doesn't have, because it includes British poets. It's worth owning. Then you can read "Do Not Go Gently Into That Good Night" by Dylan Thomas to your boy, Dylan, at bedtime.
Cyndi
Some great pieces: So We'll Go No More a Roving/Byron, O Captain! My Captain!/Whitman, The Village Blacksmith/Longfellow, Jabberwocky/Carroll and what may well be my favorite piece of poetry, The Emperor of Ice Cream/Stevens.

Would like to have had a wider variety, but overall a bettter than average, affordable anthology.
Dayna Smith
A magnificent collection of poems from some of the best poets of all time.
Andy Hickmott
Useful for people like me who are trying to catch up after a lifetime's ignorance of poetry, but beware: most of this book is drawn from before the twentieth century. It contains not a single living poet! You might come away with the impression that poetry is no longer written, and a very distorted idea of what today passes for 'good' poetry. Nonetheless I got pleasure from discovering where some familiar lines come from:

'Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?' (Shakespeare)

'How do I love thee?
Christina Packard
I guess I just don't get poetry that much. In this collection, I recognized less than twenty. Even of the once I have read or studied in school in the distant past, I do not fully understand. Now if these are the 100 best-loved poems perhaps I should read them again.
Megumi
A wonderful collection that unlike the title isn't about the Best-Loved its about the ones that have contributed to the lexicon of the English language. From Shakespeare to e. e. cummings these are poems that we quote without ever knowing the whole poem. A must read.
Shawn
This economical collection of literature class favorites only cost me $1 for a new copy. Many well-known and classic poems from 50-60 authors are presented in a chronological arrangement. Each author is introduced with a 1-3 sentence sketch. Long poems are excluded by the editor, so you won't find "Hiawatha" or "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" here, but you will find such favorites as Thomas Gray's "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard," Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven," Robert Burns' "To a Mouse ...more
Paul
Nice little anthology of classic poems. My favorites include: Abou Ben Adhem, "So We'll Go No More a Roving", Ozymandias, and Do Not Go Gentle into That Hood Night.
Melody
It was OK. Discovered some new poems, but I mostly found myself bored with the first 29 or 30 ones. This book misses a lot of poets.
Riley
Some quality stuff here. I hadn't ever read The Destruction of Sennacherib by Lord Byron before, but I really liked it. Great compilation.
Luis Branco
It is nice book with historical great poems. I think that I was expecting a bit more out of it. I miss feeling and passion. I enjoyed the theopoetic ones.
♥ Sandi
some good - some not so good - some well known, out of my comfort zone, but still pleasurable.
Tonya
Good anthology of poetry. Nice selection.
Ish
Jun 11, 2014 Ish rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: re-read
Infinitely re-readable.
Carla
Really great buy from Amazon,I love poetry,and I coulnd't resist buying this book,it has some of the greatest poems of all time,I certainly enjoy reading it.
Robin Conley
This book had a great sampling of all the best known poets or poems. I really liked the mix they had here. I also loved the fact that they introduced each poet with a few lines about them and their works. There are too many poems inside to write about them all. Basically, anyone who enjoys poetry and likes the classics, should enjoy this book.
John Cass
Jun 06, 2010 John Cass rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody looking to explore poetry for the first time or rediscover old favorites
Shelves: favorites, poetry
Unlike many other anthologies, this book really does contain the 100 best-loved poems. These are some of the poems that you grew up with, with a few new ones to discover added to the mix. I liked the fact the the poems were relatively short and not too involved - an easy read in a comfortable chair to end the evening with.
Emma
Really great, helped me discover/rediscover some of my favourite poems. I wished for more Wilfred Owen (Dulce et decorum est, mental cases being ones I really wanted in there) and the medieval stuff wasn't really my thing, but overall a great selection of poems modern and medieval:)
Barbara Lovejoy
After reading one poem a day I read my 100th poem from this book this morning. Some of the poems were favorites while others were new to me. I'll want to read this book again...and again...as I always need to read most poems more than once to get the meaning.
Michelle Ou
It was good, but since it was a required school book, I hate it and also I hate poems, so naturally this book would be uninteresting for me.
But I know these poems are what most people like. Poetry lovers should love this book!
Whitney Crown
I love this book of poems for its classic authors and poems. They have some of the most well known poems in here! I think everyone should give it a good read! I have really enjoyed reading it!
Bob Conder
The problem is the language. Many of these poems are written in dialects we no longer use, so although the footnotes helped with the understanding, I only enjoyed a few poems.
Charlotte
My grandmother gave me this book when I was 8 years old. Lovely well known poems every english speaker should be familar with. All the greats are in here.
100 Best Loved Poems 2 10 Feb 03, 2012 05:32AM
  • Miss Darcy Falls in Love
  • Same Difference
  • Pontoon: A Novel of Lake Wobegon
  • The Book of Questions
Favorite Poems of Childhood Irish Fairy Tales Favorite North American Indian Legends Cultural Theory: An Introduction Dutch Oven Cookbook. Easy Recipes about the art of Slow Cooking

“Women and men(both little and small) cared for anyone not at all they sowed their isn’t they reaped their same sun moon stars rain children guessed(but only a few and down they forgot as up they grew” 1 likes
“I met a lady in the meads, Full beautiful — faery’s child, Her hair was long, her foot was light, And her eyes were wild.” 1 likes