Start by marking “The Unabridged Edgar Allan Poe” as Want to Read:
The Unabridged Edgar Allan Poe

The Unabridged Edgar Allan Poe

Under-appreciated in his own time, Poe's unique genius for exploring the darker corridors of the human imagination raised nightmares to the level of art. This collection includes poetry and prose, including "The Conqueror Worm", "The Fall of the House of Usher", "The Murders in the Rue Morgue", and "The Pit and the Pendulum". 1,186 pp.
Hardcover, Unabridged, 1178 pages
Published December 1st 1983 by Running Press Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Unabridged Edgar Allan Poe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unabridged Edgar Allan Poe

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
Poe. Poe. Poe.

I think maybe for the reader, the average reader who thinks of herself as A Reader, there’s really no reason to not read some Complete-ish edition of Poe’s work. You’ll cheat yourself if you are satisfied with a Best Of Poe. Because there is definitely Poe’s Best (however they may be counted) and there is secondary Poe. And his Complete Works, unlike that of, say, a Melville, is a mere 1178 pages. Scarcely a novel’s length. This particular edition I had on hand, this unabridged edi
Werner
Jun 21, 2008 Werner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of 19th century fiction
My five-star rating only applies to Poe's fiction, which was the part of the book I read ten years ago; when I decided recently to review the book, I resolved to read the poetry as well, but a couple of sessions caused me to abandon that idea! I do appreciate "The Raven," and some of Poe's other shorter, mature poems; but I'm not a big fan of Romantic poetry, and in the main, Poe's work in that form has all the besetting faults of its school: opacity, overblown verbosity and sentimentality for i ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 28, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Good Reading: 100 Significant Books
I came out of this thick door-stopper, toe-crushing tome a fan of Poe. What would Vincent Price have done without him? What would Stephen King have done without him? "The Black Cat, " "The Cask of Amontillado," The Fall of the House of Usher," "Ligeia" "The Masque of the Red Death", "The Pit and the Pendulum," "The Premature Burial" and "The Tell-Tale Heart. Spooky, creepy, and so so memorable. For that matter, not just the horror field but the mystery story owes a great debt to him. "The Murder ...more
Brett Alan
Apr 30, 2014 Brett Alan rated it it was amazing
A giant in horrific literature. A must read for any horror/mystery buff. However, it doesn't take a horror buff to appreciate his insistent cadence, his clever wordplay, or his morbid insight into human nature.
Tara
Apr 13, 2008 Tara rated it it was amazing
This is ongoing, and I can honestly say that it will stay in my currently reading list.

Edgar Allen Poe is one of the most incredible writers I have ever had the pleasure of reading. His poetry is riveting and his stories are intense. I can read and re-read his work over and over again.

So, in essence this book should be listed as "read", but since I love to read his work over and over again, I will keep it in my currently reading list.
Kory
Apr 12, 2012 Kory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, poetry
The eight corpses swung in their chains, a fetid, blackened, hideous, and indistinguishable mass.

With just that sentence I have gotten many people to read Poe, most have only read the standard stories and poems, never looking into any of his other works. Many claim to hate Poe too and think his works are boring, I believe this is because they haven't read anything else and they don't understand the language of the time.
Shauna
Nov 08, 2009 Shauna rated it really liked it
Reading 15 of these stories en masse was quite revealing. I had only ever experienced Poe before in short bursts. Read in one sitting, his early stories of the macabre were quite disturbing, and certainly suggested a level of madness in the author. However, other stories revealed a biting wit (reminiscent at times of Mark Twain) and the hand of an intelligent craftsman. An overall enjoyable experience.
David
Aug 11, 2015 David rated it really liked it
Edgar Allen Poe was a brilliant writer, nothing more need be said. If you like his more famous work that you had to read in school then you will probably enjoy the most of the rest of his work as well. This volume is everything he ever wrote and I'd be lying if I said it was all brilliant, but enough of it is to warrant a five star rating.
Heather Carter
Jul 28, 2013 Heather Carter rated it it was amazing
Since Poe is easily my favourite poet, having this collection on my shelf simply thrills me. It has everything, from familiar titles like The Tell-Tale Heart, The Pit and the Pendulum, and of course The Raven, to the most obscure works that many have never even heard of.
Morris Nelms
Sep 22, 2014 Morris Nelms rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This used to be available as a single volume paperback. It's the first edition of each of his stories and poems. Poe revised things a lot, and I find his first edition was the best.
If you haven't read his best stuff yet, I envy you. You are in for a wild ride.
Deb Davis
Oct 16, 2013 Deb Davis rated it it was amazing
I have been a huge fan of Edgar Allan Poe for as long as I can remember. I find all of his work brilliant and having many of his works together in one book is extraordinary. This book definitely captures his versatility.
Sonya
May 18, 2016 Sonya rated it liked it
I'm going to give it a try to read it, at least most of it. I like a lot of Edgar Allan Poe's stories, but I'm not into poems and the old English language is hard for me. I'll probably read this between other books.
Jeff
Feb 06, 2009 Jeff rated it it was amazing
I was reading Poe when my schoolmates were reading Dr. Seuss.
My copy of this book is so well used that 7 layers of masking tape have replaced its spine!
Dre McDermott
Nov 30, 2015 Dre McDermott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Most of this was a skim because I am so familiar with his works I'd read most this repeatedly. This is an awesome collection.
Donald
Dec 28, 2011 Donald rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writer-reads, shorts, 2011
I've only started reading this tome of nearly 1200 pages, but it gets a fiver anyway. It's Poe...come on.
Bailey Marissa Bowers
Aug 22, 2016 Bailey Marissa Bowers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2k16
A collection of essays, novellas/short stories, and poems from EAP.

Recommend 13+
Jayson
May 16, 2009 Jayson rated it really liked it
Some really good and imaginative stuff. Some other harder to get into reading.
Lukas
Sep 11, 2010 Lukas rated it liked it
I read 10 short stories from this book.
Nicollette
May 05, 2012 Nicollette rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
John Freitas
John Freitas rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Lynn
Lynn added it
Sep 10, 2016
Esra Süt
Esra Süt marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Annastasia Zellars
Annastasia Zellars marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Dominick Cattrano
Dominick Cattrano is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2016
Rebecca Lovin
Rebecca Lovin marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Aug 24, 2016
Lynda Mccartney
Lynda Mccartney marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Debra Oehlberg
Debra Oehlberg marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
  • The Unabridged William Shakespeare
  • The Sleeping Partner (Sarah Tolerance, #3)
  • The Portable Twentieth-Century Russian Reader
  • The Secret of Abdu El-Yezdi (Burton & Swinburne, #4)
  • Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs
  • The Fabliaux
  • Zombies for a Cure
  • Jesus Is Better than You Imagined
  • Maggie: A Girl of the Streets and Other Short Fiction
  • Babar and Zephir
  • Bonfire Night (Lady Julia Grey, #5.7)
  • House of Mystery, Vol. 3: The Space Between
  • Alfred Hitchcock's Ghostly Gallery
  • Zettels Traum
  • Tim McCarver's Baseball for Brain Surgeons and Other Fans: Understanding and Interpreting the Game So You Can Watch It Like a Pro
  • Three Plays: Anna Christie / The Emperor Jones / The Hairy Ape
  • Divine Days
  • Amori
More about Edgar Allan Poe...