Start by marking “The Unabridged Edgar Allan Poe” as Want to Read:
The Unabridged Edgar Allan Poe

The Unabridged Edgar Allan Poe

4.54 of 5 stars 4.54  ·  rating details  ·  347 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Under-appreciated in his own time, Poe's unique genius for exploring the darker corridors of the human imagination raised nightmares to the level of art. This collection includes poetry and prose, including "The Conqueror Worm", "The Fall of the House of Usher", "The Murders in the Rue Morgue", and "The Pit and the Pendulum". 1,186 pp.
Hardcover, Unabridged, 1178 pages
Published December 31st 1983 by Running Press Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Unabridged Edgar Allan Poe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unabridged Edgar Allan Poe

Werner
Jun 21, 2008 Werner rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of 19th century fiction
My five-star rating only applies to Poe's fiction, which was the part of the book I read ten years ago; when I decided recently to review the book, I resolved to read the poetry as well, but a couple of sessions caused me to abandon that idea! I do appreciate "The Raven," and some of Poe's other shorter, mature poems; but I'm not a big fan of Romantic poetry, and in the main, Poe's work in that form has all the besetting faults of its school: opacity, overblown verbosity and sentimentality for i ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 28, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Good Reading: 100 Significant Books
I came out of this thick door-stopper, toe-crushing tome a fan of Poe. What would Vincent Price have done without him? What would Stephen King have done without him? "The Black Cat, " "The Cask of Amontillado," The Fall of the House of Usher," "Ligeia" "The Masque of the Red Death", "The Pit and the Pendulum," "The Premature Burial" and "The Tell-Tale Heart. Spooky, creepy, and so so memorable. For that matter, not just the horror field but the mystery story owes a great debt to him. "The Murder ...more
Dww108
Edgar Allen Poe was a brilliant writer, nothing more need be said. If you like his more famous work that you had to read in school then you will probably enjoy the most of the rest of his work as well. This volume is everything he ever wrote and I'd be lying if I said it was all brilliant, but enough of it is to warrant a five star rating.
Sonya
Nov 11, 2014 Sonya is currently reading it
I'm going to give it a try to read it, at least most of it. I like a lot of Edgar Allan Poe's stories, but I'm not into poems and the old English language is hard for me. I'll probably read this between other books.
Brett Alan
A giant in horrific literature. A must read for any horror/mystery buff. However, it doesn't take a horror buff to appreciate his insistent cadence, his clever wordplay, or his morbid insight into human nature.
Tara
This is ongoing, and I can honestly say that it will stay in my currently reading list.

Edgar Allen Poe is one of the most incredible writers I have ever had the pleasure of reading. His poetry is riveting and his stories are intense. I can read and re-read his work over and over again.

So, in essence this book should be listed as "read", but since I love to read his work over and over again, I will keep it in my currently reading list.
Kory
The eight corpses swung in their chains, a fetid, blackened, hideous, and indistinguishable mass.

With just that sentence I have gotten many people to read Poe, most have only read the standard stories and poems, never looking into any of his other works. Many claim to hate Poe too and think his works are boring, I believe this is because they haven't read anything else and they don't understand the language of the time.
Shauna
Reading 15 of these stories en masse was quite revealing. I had only ever experienced Poe before in short bursts. Read in one sitting, his early stories of the macabre were quite disturbing, and certainly suggested a level of madness in the author. However, other stories revealed a biting wit (reminiscent at times of Mark Twain) and the hand of an intelligent craftsman. An overall enjoyable experience.
Heather Carter
Since Poe is easily my favourite poet, having this collection on my shelf simply thrills me. It has everything, from familiar titles like The Tell-Tale Heart, The Pit and the Pendulum, and of course The Raven, to the most obscure works that many have never even heard of.
Morris Nelms
This used to be available as a single volume paperback. It's the first edition of each of his stories and poems. Poe revised things a lot, and I find his first edition was the best.
If you haven't read his best stuff yet, I envy you. You are in for a wild ride.
Deb Davis
I have been a huge fan of Edgar Allan Poe for as long as I can remember. I find all of his work brilliant and having many of his works together in one book is extraordinary. This book definitely captures his versatility.
Jeff
I was reading Poe when my schoolmates were reading Dr. Seuss.
My copy of this book is so well used that 7 layers of masking tape have replaced its spine!
Donald
I've only started reading this tome of nearly 1200 pages, but it gets a fiver anyway. It's Poe...come on.
Jayson
Some really good and imaginative stuff. Some other harder to get into reading.
Lukas
I read 10 short stories from this book.
Nicollette
Beautifully written.
Changokun
Changokun marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Mikel15
Mikel15 marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
  • The Unabridged William Shakespeare
  • The Secret of Abdu El-Yezdi (Burton & Swinburne, #4)
  • Bonfire Night (Lady Julia Grey, #5.7)
  • The Portable Twentieth-Century Russian Reader
  • Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs
  • Zombies for a Cure
  • The Sleeping Partner (Sarah Tolerance, #3)
  • House of Mystery, Vol. 3: The Space Between
  • Eight Little Piggies: Reflections in Natural History
  • The Best American Short Stories 1989
  • Three Plays: Anna Christie / The Emperor Jones / The Hairy Ape
  • A Band of Misfits: Tales of the 2010 San Francisco Giants
  • Tim McCarver's Baseball for Brain Surgeons and Other Fans: Understanding and Interpreting the Game So You Can Watch It Like a Pro
  • Godslayer / Shadow Climber / Dragonrank Master (Bifrost Guardians, #1-3)
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr ...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings The Complete Stories and Poems The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales Essential Tales and Poems The Cask of Amontillado