Start by marking “Chasing Boys” as Want to Read:
Chasing Boys

Chasing Boys

An insightful coming-of-age novel for girls with no interest in being "Pretty in Pink".

Life at her new pub
Published January 6th 2009 by Walker Childrens (first published December 23rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Boys

Nic
Rating: 3.5 stars

Favourite Quote: "I feel like I can't feel anymore. Like I'm walking and talking and sometimes even laughing, but inside I'm still and watching to see if I'm fooling anyone."

Chasing Boys is the tale of Ariel Marini who's life was turned upside down 18 months ago. Her Dad left, while her mum, sister and her are struggling to get by, they have had to downside and Ariel has had to change schools where she meets and begins to crush hard on Eric, the guy at school every girl want. He
Thebookbutterfly
I've got to stop handing out five stars like I'm tossing candy off a parade float! (You books can't be THAT good! I'm being such a softie! This doesn't reflect well on my reviewing skills! Or at least, this is what I've been telling myself. It hasn't really worked yet.)

But, personally, I think that Chasing Boys deserves every star that comes it way. Karen Tayleur ought to have won awards for this book. Or maybe it's because I'm fourteen and a (bit) naive, but still~ everything in this book reson
Shirley Marr
Apr 29, 2011 Shirley Marr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aussie-ya
Karen Tayleur's first YA and my favourite. I always come back to read sections of this one whenever I need a "chicken soup" moment. The prose is so pretty in its simplicity. I love the cliques, the girls, the humour and the romance. To me this book represents the perfect adolescent world inside my head.
Merphy Napier
May 22, 2017 Merphy Napier rated it really liked it

The main character's voice reminded me of the voice of Audrey from "Finding Audrey" by Sophie Kinsella. Which is a big plus for me.

I loved her voice and even though the plot was full of old tropes that have been done and done again, it was full of the tropes that I love! So I reeeally enjoyed reading this. It was lite, it was quick, it was fun.

Girl likes popular boy.
Popular boy starts to like girl.
Other, less popular but sweet boy likes girl too.
Popular boy turns out to be a jerk.
Girl chooses
Yan
Nov 05, 2008 Yan rated it did not like it
Summary: “El Marini just isn't fitting into the new life she's been forced to create without her dad. Her mom and sister have accepted his absence and moved on, but El is convinced things will get back to normal if she just keeps her feelings of loss to herself and waits it out.

Life at her new public school would have been unbearable if weren't for Eric Callahan. As her crush grows to epic proportions, she'll do anything to be more like the popular girls he notices, even buying the first pink to
Adele
Apr 04, 2009 Adele rated it liked it
This is the first YA novel from Karen Tayleur but before I start talking about the book I want to make a note of the dedication "For Toph. A boy who chased me until I caught him", altogether now awwww.

To be honest I really don't have a clear grip on what I think about this book. The ebb and flow of is inconsistant but I think that's deliberate, due to the protagonist's perspective. El is still numb from the fallout that was her life eighteen months prior. The only reason to live, she thinks, is
Joy (joyous reads)
CHASING BOYS is one of those books where you either instantly embrace the character or completely hate her. I for one, had a hard time connecting with El. She's an acquired taste who required the right amount of understanding in order for the reader to enjoy the story.

Struggling from her father's disappearance in their lives, Ariel was living life on automatic. But deep inside, she refused to accept the status quo. Confused and angry, she bottled up her feelings in the hopes that sooner or later
Alea
Jan 21, 2009 Alea rated it liked it
Shelves: read-for-review
I have mixed feelings about this book, there were some things that worked and others that just didn't. In the end the book let me scratching my head a bit but there are still some good things going on here.

For the most part I liked the characters in this book, particularly artistic type Dylan. I would swoon for that boy in a second. I loved all the scenes he and El were together. For the most part I liked the main character El but it got to the point where she was a bit too obsessed with Eric, w
Shelly
Jun 27, 2009 Shelly rated it really liked it
Another YA dose of realistic fiction. One that took me back to high school and my own teenage years. This book is full of issues that many teens have to face: changing schools, cliques, jealousy, crushes, acceptance, and more.

El is one of those teenagers. She is used to living the high-life, but with her dad gone, she has to get used to less, a lot less. Her mother has issues that El refuses to acknowledge. All of this changes El, as I assume it would many teens. She doesn't know how to deal wit
Alicia
Nov 03, 2012 Alicia rated it liked it

This is a horrible title for this book. Because this is a fairly good book, but the title makes it sound like it's about a boy-crazy girl. Which she is not. I mean, she does *like* a boy, but she's not crazy running around. She has lots of other things going on in her life, and they make the story interesting. There were some silly parts, but if my 12 yr old niece wanted to read this book, I would give her a green light with HIGH recommendations.
Keturah
Mar 16, 2010 Keturah rated it it was amazing
Christie
Nov 15, 2012 Christie rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Chasing Boys is the story of Ariel, El for short, who has moved from her swanky school and big house to a new school and an apartment with her older sister, Bella, and her mom. Dad – whereabouts unknown, but clearly he’s left a void in Ariel’s life which she is in desperate need of filling. So, there’s this boy. His name is Eric and he’s a star basketball player and practically the most perfect boy at school. Everyone has a crush on him, but he has a girlfriend. And not just any girlfriend, but ...more
GirlwiththeBraids
Jul 31, 2009 GirlwiththeBraids rated it it was amazing
“Remember your manners, listen to your teacher, and don’t chase boys.” A piece of advice Ariel (El, for short) had been told her first day of school. But she doesn’t know if she can keep that promise anymore now that she is going to a crammed-full public high school filled with handsome jocks. El’s family (which consists of herself, her older sister, and mother) has been down-sizing since her father left a year ago and she can’t seem to forgive him. While keeping a mental list of questions to as ...more
Monique
Jun 10, 2013 Monique rated it liked it
Bad Things
I felt like shaking El so many times.

Bad Language

It's so aggravating when the heroine is weak and stalkerish and willing to change herself for some guy! She tells you right out that she doesn't care that he flirts with ALL the girls in his school, and first off, what does that tell you about this guy who flirts even though he has a girls friend. I'm so glad she kinda woke up at the end when he did what he shouldn't have done.

Margot was a very dull character. I know the author tried t
Melanie Gin
Apr 19, 2011 Melanie Gin rated it liked it
So I reread this to see if I would like it now since I forgot what happened. And my rating went up by a star.
If you are looking for romance this isn't really the book to satisfy it.

El faces the 5 stages of grief. You don't get a good picture of her which is so Albert Camus.

What I didn't like about the book was the ending. It was kinda abrupt. Like Tayleur makes you assume whatever about the characters.
(view spoiler)
Rachel P
Jan 30, 2015 Rachel P rated it it was amazing
Chasing boys by Karen Tayleur shows the life of two teenage girls living with only their mom. Their mom works constantly to support her small family. The main character El is always getting detention for dumb reasons. She has had the largest crush on Eric Callahan, but he won't notice her. One day in detention El sees someone new. His name is Dylan.
I really enjoyed this book because the author used a lot of sensory details to describe things like how old her apartment was and the aroma of the c
Paige
Oct 22, 2008 Paige rated it liked it
I'd give this book only three stars for one main reason: the ending. Not to spoil it, but it was abrupt and I remember finishing it in the middle of English class and staring blankly at the book for a second before saying, "That's it?" Other than that, the only annoyance I found was El's pining for Eric. This book was written well, and some metaphors stood out, like, "My life is an out-of-date gift card." The chapters were short, making this a book you can breeze through in one or two sittings l ...more
Sara
Feb 21, 2016 Sara rated it it was amazing
The book I read last was Chasing Boys by Karen Tayleur. The book genre is fiction and the setting is Blair High School. The main characters are Eric, Dylan, Desi, Ariel, Angelique, Leonard and Margot. The book is about a girl who was just moved to a new school and has a crush on the schools hottest boy. The girl ends up in detention with her friend and finds another new and interesting character. In the end she gets what shes always wanted a kiss from her crush but is it all it seems to be? I ra ...more
Tara
Sep 11, 2011 Tara rated it really liked it
Marissa Marzano
Jun 04, 2012 Marissa Marzano rated it liked it
Now, just like to say i'm typing this review almost 5 years after initially reading it, so sorry if it's not accurate or great aha.

I do remember this was the first teen drama i voluntarily chose to read, and wasn't forced by school because of english or whatever, but i thoroughly enjoyed it at the time.

It's a pretty basic storyline really, and thinking back, i probably wouldn't sit there and read it if i came across it today.

I would reccommend it to any 13-15 year old girl, who is trying to get
Tanya Grech Welden
Oct 01, 2014 Tanya Grech Welden rated it liked it
Although I found this story a little predictable and unexceptional it did deal with some issues that Young Adult audiences will find appealing. The protagonist Ariel (El) is a little irritating at times....even for an egocentric teen (and I know a lot) she really did need to get a life. I found the ending a little flat.

The strength of this story is in its accessibility and pace. YA readers (especially the ones that are not generally fond of reading) will find this a readable story without feelin
Kirsti
Jun 11, 2013 Kirsti rated it really liked it
A fairly decent story, although I was confused between the summary and the actual characters; why is there a Dylan in the summary and a Gaston (like Beauty and the Beast?) in my copy.There were elements of total confusion to the plot as well, but I still kept reading anyway. I did enjoy the realistic feel of the settings and the original friendship of Desi and Margot. A quick read, but engaging and fresh. Four stars!
Sophie
Nov 07, 2008 Sophie rated it liked it
Average YA novel. The main character I wanted to yell at a fair bit for being stupid, and mainly for being so pathetic over a boy, especially one who seemed to have nothing brilliantly outstanding about him. It did at times capture the angsty sulkiness of adolescence, but it was overshadowed by the pettiness of the characters.
Nice twist at the end that I didn't see coming, but it wasn't really all that relevant to most of the story.
Sophia Ruiz
This book gave me a lot of things to think about. It kind of surfaced some things in my life that are going on, an El reminded me a lot of myself, and also my friend. Sort of a combination between our problems. I really likes it, although it still bothers me that i don't know where Dylan's scar came from....does anyone know?p.s i totally knew she would love Dylan eventually...and Eric is dumb like i predicted....so yeah ;)
Liz Fichera
Jul 10, 2011 Liz Fichera rated it really liked it
If you were expecting a light-hearted YA romp (based on the title), think again. El Marini is a girl with issues--her family has fallen on hard times, she's had to change schools, she's seeing a therapist, she can't have the cute guy at school. It took a while for El to grow on me but when she did, I was completely invested in her story and the outcome. The ending may surprise you.

Taylorfan3994
Nov 02, 2013 Taylorfan3994 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised when I read this. I predicted it would be well, predictable! But there were things in it I truly didn't expect and while it wasn't the best book I have ever read, I definitely did enjoy it, and didn't walk away feeling let down by the author. I felt a lot of empathy for the main character and found her incredibly relatable.
Teresa 8-22
Aug 02, 2009 Teresa 8-22 rated it liked it
Characterization in this book wasn't a big issue, it seems, because quite often the characters were only 2D beings, with hardly any personalities. I got a bit annoyed a few times, but it wasn't anything that made me so repulsed I needed to drop the book and run.

Overall, though, I really enjoyed this book, if you overlook the whole no-characterization part.
Katy
Mar 01, 2012 Katy rated it did not like it
This book made me mad. I didn't like how El was such a witch. She was angry all the time, and her stupidity made me want to smack her. And I know that she's had it rough, but it doesn't give her an excuse to act like the little brat she was in this book. And I didn't like the way it ended. I'm guessing it's a new beginning for El, but the whole book just left me disconcerted.
Karen
Mar 02, 2015 Karen rated it it was ok
Shelves: never-again
This book was okay. It had the opportunity to be great but I felt like El was somewhat lacking as a character. She was whiny, upset and selfish. Maybe in some respects she was misjudged, but for the most part, I couldn't stand her. For the most part, the whole novel was lacking in depth and fell along the predictable fluff side of things. I won't be rereading it.
Ashley Collins
Sep 25, 2011 Ashley Collins rated it it was amazing
All I have to say is I love this book, and still remember it's plot despite that it's been two years since I read it. (I have a horrible memory, so this is a big fact).

My main problem with the author here? WHY DIDN'T SHE MAKE A SEQUEL??

But yeah, the book was one of the better teen romance novels I've read.
  • The Year Nick McGowan Came to Stay