Start by marking “A Chill in the Blood (Vampire Files, #7)” as Want to Read:
A Chill in the Blood (Vampire Files, #7)

A Chill in the Blood (Vampire Files #7)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  523 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A delicious new novel of the The Vampire Files -- in which our undead detective finds himself caught in the middle of a Chicago gangland war!
Mass Market Paperback, 327 pages
Published June 1st 1999 by Ace (first published June 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Chill in the Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Chill in the Blood

Kathy Davie
1930s noir and a vampire with a heart who interacts with the mob.

P. N. Elrod is amazing in her depiction of the time period. You can see, smell, feel, and hear it as you read.
Deb
P.N. Elrod takes her vampire hero, Jack Fleming, through all kinds of trials, as he tangles with Chicago's mob 1920s-era underworld. In this outing, Fleming tries to rein in Angela Paco, the daughter of Frank Paco, now disabled; Sullivan, the New York mob's new guy in town; and his own friend Gordy, the least dangerous (or at least sanest) of the lot. Mix in Merrill Adkins, the Fed who let Baby-Face Nelson slip through his fingers, and the plot-counterplot action boils over.
This series is a fin...more
Kati
Not really a standalone story, just a continuation of the previous book, so more Angela Paco and Opal and the whole mob trouble. The plot mostly ran in circles with Jack mediating between Angela and Sullivan and I got quite bored with that. The only interesting parts were those linked to Escott and Shoe. I really hope this mob storyline is finally over and the next book in the series will be about something else, something new. As much as I love the characters, it feels like the story is not rea...more
Katie
Another in the solid series of Vampire Files. It's nice to know that someone can write about vampires without focusing on the whole, "oooh, I'm so hot, all the ladies wanna sleep with me." He's a regular joe who has gained some special powers (nearly indestructible, hypnosis) but is struggling to deal with all the downsides...as well as having gotten himself inadvertently wrapped up in business of gangs & mobsters. Fun & easy reads
Janet
I have reluctantly realized that the further I get into the series, the less actual plot there is. This latest offering had Jack and Escott running around trying to keep from being killed. For over 300 pages. That was it. I’d like to see them get back to solving cases
Olivia
I'm not sure what it was about this book but I just couldn't get into it. This hasn't been a problem with any other in this series. And there was plenty of action so I shouldn't have been bored... but I was.
Cathi
Actually didn't even finish this one. Just more of the same from the other books. I thought it'd start being individual cases for him to work on, but it's still just him running from the mob.
Kenneth Flusche
Good Chicago 1938 trivia, not so hot vampire and mob stairio-type really should start series at begining as seems to start in middle of a story but action picks up and ends resonably.
Kimberly
I love this story line. However, I felt this book was more filler (I hope) for the books to come. It didn't really get exciting until after 100 pages in as well.
Kelly
Eh it was ok , I kinda had a lot of mixed feelings all through it but it was a new author for so maybe but it just didn't seem like my cup of tea:(
Tricia
I usually like this series of books, but this one just could not pull me in ... decent book
Michelle
This book starts a bit slow, but really gains speed at the end--a fun read.
Helen
excellent, seemed like a series finale
Nancy Laney
The Vampire Files Book 7
Kay Wilson
Kay Wilson marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
A.
A. added it
Sep 14, 2014
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Caroleequinton
Caroleequinton marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
  • States of Grace (Saint-Germain, #18)
  • The Ultimate Dracula: New Stories by Some of the World's Leading Authors
  • Shattered Glass (Austra Family, #1)
  • Vampire Junction
  • The Golden
  • Blood Maidens (James Asher, #3)
  • Paint it Black (Sonja Blue, #3)
  • The Dead Travel Fast: Stalking Vampires from Nosferatu to Count Chocula
  • The Dracula Tape (Dracula Series, #1)
  • Judgment of Tears: Anno Dracula 1959 (Anno Dracula, #3)
  • Piercing the Darkness: Undercover with Vampires in America Today
  • Betsy Bride of the Vampire (Undead, #4.5, 5, 6, 7)
  • Blood Debt (Vicki Nelson, #5)
Patricia Nead Elrod is an American fantasy writer specializing in novels about vampires. Her work falls into areas of fantasy and (in some cases) mystery or historical fiction, but normally not horror, since her vampires are the heroes. -Wikipedia
More about P.N. Elrod...
My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (There Be Pirates, #1; Kit and Olivia, #2; Nightcreature, #5.5; Sookie Stackhouse, #6.1; The Dresden Files, #7.5; Dark-Hunter, #6.25) Strange Brew My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon Dark and Stormy Knights Hex Appeal (Phoenix Chronicles; The Shadowfae Chronicles, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #5.6; The Dresden Files, #11.9)