Start by marking “Poetic Knowledge: The Recovery Of Education” as Want to Read:
Poetic Knowledge: The Recovery Of Education

Poetic Knowledge: The Recovery Of Education

This book rediscovers a traditional mode of knowledge that remains viable today. Contrasted to the academic and cultural fads often based on the scientific methodology of the Cartesian legacy, or any number of trendy experiments in education, Poetic Knowledge returns to the freshness and importance of first knowledge, a knowledge of the senses and the passions.
"Poetic kno
Published December 18th 1997 by State University of New York Press (first published December 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Poetic Knowledge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poetic Knowledge

M.G. Bianco
May 22, 2014 M.G. Bianco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me describe first what this book is about. The title can be distracting if we aren't used to certain philosophical terms. This is not a book about poetry, although it is. It is not about knowledge, although it is. Poetic knowledge describes a certain kind of knowledge distinct from scientific knowledge. Scientific knowledge is what we are most familiar with: an analytical study of a subject, a rational knowledge about a subject. It is knowing a horse because you've memorized information and ...more
Jun 10, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband and I had the opportunity to meet Dr. Taylor and take him to dinner several years ago (1998 or 1999) when he was in Denver for a Catholic homeschooling conference.

We had a marvelous evening and learned so much from this man, who attended the Integrated Humanities Program at the University of Kansas which was a hotbed for Catholic conversions and making monks (dozens at Clear Creek Monastery in Oklahoma and the Abbey of Fontgombault in France), priests (Fr. James Jackson, FSSP) and bi
Dec 17, 2009 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
I just finished this book today and was thoroughly impressed throughout. The author is clear and concise and he cites all the right people: Augustine, Benedict, Aquinas, and Newman. It is a great look at education and the poetic mode of learning and teaching. Something long forgotten even in Christian School circles, and perhaps even in Classical circles too.
The last two chapters are the best: he applies the principles from earlier in the book to a real school that was around in the 1970s. In t
May 23, 2012 Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without over-simplifying one of life's most complicated phenomena, Taylor boils down education (at least, successful, meaningful education) as the excitement of the soul unto love. He prefaces this central discussion with a thorough survey of philosophical treatment of knowledge and imagination from Plato to Aristotle, Augustine, Benedict, Aquinas and through to modern thinkers like Maritain and Pieper (including a decent treatment of the "Cartesian legacy"). And while that first section may be ...more
Jan 10, 2010 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book, and quite challenging compared to what I had been taught for many years.

Five high school teachers spent six weeks reading through and discussing it.

The author did a great job of showing historically how we have arrived at Cartesian learning in the West. He did less of a good job showing what the alternative would look like.

I had concerns as I read through the book. He says on page 131 that St. Thomas Aquinas and Aristotle were omitted from the 2-year college course
James B.
Aug 20, 2009 James B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What follows is my summary of this book.
"The poetic mode of learning is a sensory-emotional experience of reality, a spontaneous act of the senses with the intellect, getting the learner inside of the object of experience. It occurs in a setting of leisure, initiated in wonder and leading to a love of reality. It was the traditional mode of learning among the ancients and medievals, but was largely discarded and replaced by the analytical/scientific mode by Descartes, Dewey, and other modern edu
Brad Belschner
Pretty good book. "Poetic" doesn't mean poems; it means actually doing stuff physically. I think the author gets too bogged down on philosophy in the middle of the book (which is ironic), but the last third gets practical again. This book is basically an introduction to the concept, so don't expect any detailed guidelines here. Personally, that's what I'd like to hear more about. Details...more thorough descriptions of what poetic education might look like.
Katy Cruel
In the words of Ruth. This one is a "game-changer"!
Donald Linnemeyer
This book started out incredibly confusing and abstract, and as long as the James Taylor stayed at that level, the book suffered from vague and seemingly contradictory educational ideals.

Roughly the last half of the book - chapters 5-7 - is much more concrete, and there, James Taylor (heh, I love saying that in this context) gave some very vivid examples of how to improve schools. Instead of the lofty abstractions of the first four chapters, he pushes toward education that forces students to get
Taylor opens the book by comparing two boys who are being asked about horses. One boy has a scientific book definition of horses, but has never been around them. The other boy has been around horses training and riding them, but does not know the scientific names or specific facts about them. The second boy has a more "poetic" intuitive knowledge. His argument is that specific deep factual knowledge should be reserved for much older students and poetic knowledge should be for younger students.
I'll fess up. I didn't understand this book. I've never read Plato, Aristotle, Aquinas or Descartes so I had no hooks to hang anything the author was trying to say on. The last 2 chapters were interesting but without understanding the foundational philosophy behind it, I wouldn't dare try and implement the ideas contained in them.
It's been quite a few years since I read it, but it was and is one of the most important books I have ever read, in terms of solidifying intensely my belief that beauty of schools, for example, and in particular. Lots of other stuff is in there, too.

I was fortunate to meet Dr. Taylor some years back when he spoke at a homeschooling conference. He is as kind and courtly in person as the way he writes in Poetic Knowledge.
Mar 25, 2015 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
This was slow read, but worth it. I'd give it five stars, but I wanted a little more from it in the end, which I realize is an entirely uninformative and unsatisfactory thing to say in a review. I may come back and write more fully when I've had time to think about it.
Sep 08, 2013 William rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a good summary of what others have said about poetic knowledge. Taylor also recounts some of his own experiences teaching about poetic knowledge to others and suggests possible directions for poetic knowledge in education.
A difficult read-- as evidenced by the notes I had to take to really get a grip on it-- but a fascinating exposition of an understanding of knowledge that has been forgotten.
Mystie Winckler
Aug 06, 2011 Mystie Winckler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education, 2011
Own. Hosted an online book club to discuss this book started April 5th, 2011 at my blog:
Nov 26, 2010 TheRose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education, nonfiction
Wonderful argument for the beauty of Classical Education that has been lost to us. Right up there with Climbing Parnassus!
Jul 01, 2007 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fascinating account of the definition and history of this more experiential type of knowledge.
Bobbi Martens
Jul 24, 2012 Bobbi Martens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on educating along with the grain of the human soul. Good read.
Love this book -- cannot recommend it highly enough.
Gregory Soderberg
Dec 10, 2009 Gregory Soderberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
A fantastic book! Must-read for educators!
Very good. Great again in 2013
review to come.
Erika marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Sarah Marie
Sarah Marie marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
Mackenzie marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2016
Tali marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2016
Aristocles Invictvs
Aristocles Invictvs marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Robert marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
  • Norms and Nobility: A Treatise on Education
  • Climbing Parnassus: A New Apologia for Greek and Latin
  • Paideia of God: & Other Essays on Education
  • Beauty for Truth's Sake: The Re-Enchantment of Education
  • The Great Tradition: Classic Readings on What it Means to Be an Educated Human Being
  • Ten Ways to Destroy the Imagination of Your Child
  • A Philosophy of Education
  • The Girard Reader
  • Why Johnny Can't Tell Right from Wrong: And What We Can Do About It
  • The Seven Laws of Teaching
  • Pen of Iron: American Prose and the King James Bible
  • Another Sort of Learning
  • Teach the Children: An Agency Approach to Education
  • Writing Road to Reading: The Spalding Method for Teaching Speech, Spelling, Writing, and Reading
  • History in English Words