Start by marking “Hottie (Hottie, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hottie (Hottie, #1)

Hottie (Hottie #1)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Alison Cole's got it all: She's gorgeous, dating a steamy surfer boy, and has just been crowned Beverly Hills High Freshman Class President. Then during a special "symmetry" surgery, a lightning bolt zaps her, and Alison instantly transforms into Hottie — that is, a totally sizzling superhero with the power to shoot fire from her fingers!

Shunned as a Pyro-Freak, Alison mus...more
Published April 2nd 2009 by Razorbill (first published February 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hottie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hottie

Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsAlong for the Ride by Sarah DessenShiver by Maggie StiefvaterIf I Stay by Gayle FormanBlood Promise by Richelle Mead
TRT's 2009 Gotta Have 'Em List! (Part 2)
52nd out of 198 books — 266 voters
Witch Song by Amber ArgyleClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareBloodlines by Richelle MeadCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie Stiefvater
2011 - Books to read
428th out of 495 books — 612 voters

More lists with this book...

Michelle Rebar
I really enjoyed this book! HOTTIE is fun, clever and action packed.

Alison is the IT girl of the moment. She just became freshman class president, she the star of her own reality TV show and everyone loves her. She's not the smartest or the most confident person, but she really is sweet and she means well most of the time. When her friends get jealous of her they convince her to get a risky plastic surgery treatment that goes terribly wrong. The machine she's in gets struck by lightning and she...more
E. Anderson
Alison Cole is the coolest girl at her Beverly Hills school. She is beatiful, popular, and even nice. After a successful run for president (sponsored by a reality show crew filming every moment), she has a lot of plans for making her high school even more awesome. But her bffs have other things in mind - they are jealous of everything Alison has and convince her to undergo unnecessary plastic surgery. During the procedure, lightning strikes the building and when she wakes up, Alison can shoot fl...more
Reader Rabbit
Alison Cole has everything. She has a good-looking boyfriend, she's been crowned the freshman class president and she has two great friends, or so she thinks.

Except, not really. She does have her problems, Alison and her stepmother have a mutual hate/hate relationship. And Alison still feels insecure about her less than gorgeous past.

Eventually, Alison's best friends get sick of being out shined and decide to trick her into going into an experimental face symmetry surgery. They convince her that...more
Stephanie
Unlike regular superhero stories, Hottie brings a fresh new outlook on the definition of superheroes.

What I loved about Hottie was the comedy and the genius-ity of the entire thing. I had this déjà vu when I was reading it and realized at the end that it reminded me of the 1-800 Meg Cabot series. Especially with that whole being-zapped-by-lightening-can-produce-superpowers thing. Did anyone else get this similarity?

I loved Alison. She is so funny. And not only does she have a sense of humor, she...more
Lizzy
I was drawn to this book because of the unique sound of the premise. I couldn't think of any stories that focus on a female teen superhero (can you?), and jumped at the chance to read it. The fact that being a superhero helped to increase Alison's confidence, and allowed her to meet people who supported her growth, made the book even better.

I should point out that it's fairly obvious who the villain is in the story, but the predictability didn't really detract from the fun of the story.

Although...more
Liviania
But hey, we all know not to judge a book by its cover. It's the content that matters. And I was almost as worried about the content as the cover a couple of chapters in. The first sweeps through the head of several characters of varying importance, as Alison receives news of her election. None of the characters come off as particularly sympathetic. Alison then gives in to her friends manipulation to get plastic surgery - at fourteen.

But when her bad decision goes wrong, HOTTIE gets moving. There...more
Anna
Plot:

This book had a very original plot. I haven't heard about the idea of a girl becoming a superhero too much in the young adult genre. However, I thought the story dragged on a little longer than it had to. To me, it started out a little slow, and it took me a really long time to get into the story.

Characters:

While the characters were written and described nicely, the main character, Alison (aka Hottie) really got on my nerves. After a while, I got sick of her "oh gosh, my friends hate my, my...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

I had to seriously ponder what category to place HOTTIE into when starting my review. I opted for the easy out with "contemporary," but HOTTIE is one of those books that could easily fall under "thriller" or "action-adventure." And if necessary, "comics" could even be applied, after knowing the premise of the story.

Alison Cole seemingly has it all. She's just won the election for freshman class president. Fortunately, it helps to have a film crew following...more
Alea
Hottie was a fun, action-packed and funny book! I think my favorite thing was the author's way with words, the way he describes things, so funny. And he has a great talent for writing characters. From the girl that speaks with a fake French accent for fear of being overshadowed by her friend of the girl that looks like an anime character, there are some hilarious characters in this book. I have to say that I wish the main character Alison aka Hottie was a little less normal and had a few more qu...more
Kelli
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That is what I have to say about the premise of this book. Her fingertips shoot fire and the romantic lead is described as dorky David Eels, a social reject. My friend found this so hilarious, that she bought this book for a dollar and gave it to me. I think the cover of this book is a ball of pink genius.
Especially the flaming word "hottie". BUT we cannot judge a book by its cover, so I read some of it. I will say the writing isn't half horrible and its only for a dollar. So i...more
Carla Lee
Could not get past the first few chapters.
Ashley Hackenmiller
My thoughts: This novel was incredibly well written but not my thing. I don’t really like most books that could come across as fantasy or such so this was just different. I think most people could enjoy the quirks and characters. I guess I just don’t have much to say because to me it was just… average.

Recommendation: I would recommend this to girls in 7th grade and up who like books with a little fantasy spin on them.

Erica Handley
While this story is set like a typical ya book (mean stepmother, mean girls, popularity, cute boyfriend) it has a superhero twist. It took a little while to get into but I can't wait (hopefully) for another book.
Tricia
This book is a nice, easy read and really relates to the language used by teenagers today. I'd reccomend this to anyone who just wants to take a break and read something fun.
Ambrosia
This book is a perfect example of how you should never judge a book by it's cover, TOO much, because you still judge books by their cover."-.-
Tina
Buffy meets Fire Starter, with a dash of Clueless thrown in. Deliciously funny.
Oct 24, 2008 Laura marked it as to-read
Another ARC I rec'd. Currently reading it. It's interesting.
Whooopdeedooo
It was a good book. I don't know what else to say.... :)
Ashley
This book had me laughing from the beginning till the end.
Chris Jackson
This book is one of the best novels in the world.
Read for professional review.
Heidi
Heidi added it
Sep 26, 2014
Jess Cover
Jess Cover marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Johnny Carruthers
Johnny Carruthers marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
London
London marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Hottie is.... 1 2 Jun 06, 2012 09:17PM
207273
I am the co-author of the forthcoming music book Mad World: An Oral History Of New Wave Artists And Songs That Defined The 1980s.

It features brand new interviews with the likes of New Order, The Smiths, Duran Duran, Echo & The Bunnymen, Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran, Simple Minds, Depeche Mode, Human League, Dexys Midnight Runners, OMD, Thomas Dolby, ABC, Thompson Twins and many, many more.

In...more
More about Jonathan Bernstein...
Knickers in a Twist: A Dictionary of British Slang Pretty In Pink: The Golden Age of Teenage Movies Manager's Guide to Crisis Management Burning Ambition (Hottie, #2) P-47 Thunderbolt Units of the Twelfth Air Force