Start by marking “Hottie (Hottie, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hottie (Hottie, #1)

Hottie (Hottie #1)

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Alison Cole's got it all: She's gorgeous, dating a steamy surfer boy, and has just been crowned Beverly Hills High Freshman Class President. Then during a special "symmetry" surgery, a lightning bolt zaps her, and Alison instantly transforms into Hottie — that is, a totally sizzling superhero with the power to shoot fire from her fingers!

Shunned as a Pyro-Freak, Alison mus
Published April 2nd 2009 by Razorbill (first published February 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hottie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hottie

Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsAlong for the Ride by Sarah DessenShiver by Maggie StiefvaterBlood Promise by Richelle MeadCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
TRT's 2009 Gotta Have 'Em List! (Part 2)
52nd out of 187 books — 263 voters
Witch Song by Amber ArgyleClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareBloodlines by Richelle MeadCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie Stiefvater
2011 - Books to read
423rd out of 490 books — 608 voters

More lists with this book...

Michelle Rebar
May 01, 2009 Michelle Rebar rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! HOTTIE is fun, clever and action packed.

Alison is the IT girl of the moment. She just became freshman class president, she the star of her own reality TV show and everyone loves her. She's not the smartest or the most confident person, but she really is sweet and she means well most of the time. When her friends get jealous of her they convince her to get a risky plastic surgery treatment that goes terribly wrong. The machine she's in gets struck by lightning and she
E. Anderson
Aug 31, 2009 E. Anderson rated it really liked it
Alison Cole is the coolest girl at her Beverly Hills school. She is beatiful, popular, and even nice. After a successful run for president (sponsored by a reality show crew filming every moment), she has a lot of plans for making her high school even more awesome. But her bffs have other things in mind - they are jealous of everything Alison has and convince her to undergo unnecessary plastic surgery. During the procedure, lightning strikes the building and when she wakes up, Alison can shoot fl ...more
Reader Rabbit
May 26, 2009 Reader Rabbit rated it did not like it
Alison Cole has everything. She has a good-looking boyfriend, she's been crowned the freshman class president and she has two great friends, or so she thinks.

Except, not really. She does have her problems, Alison and her stepmother have a mutual hate/hate relationship. And Alison still feels insecure about her less than gorgeous past.

Eventually, Alison's best friends get sick of being out shined and decide to trick her into going into an experimental face symmetry surgery. They convince her that
Stephanie
Apr 03, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Unlike regular superhero stories, Hottie brings a fresh new outlook on the definition of superheroes.

What I loved about Hottie was the comedy and the genius-ity of the entire thing. I had this déjà vu when I was reading it and realized at the end that it reminded me of the 1-800 Meg Cabot series. Especially with that whole being-zapped-by-lightening-can-produce-superpowers thing. Did anyone else get this similarity?

I loved Alison. She is so funny. And not only does she have a sense of humor, she
Lizzy
Jan 13, 2010 Lizzy rated it liked it
I was drawn to this book because of the unique sound of the premise. I couldn't think of any stories that focus on a female teen superhero (can you?), and jumped at the chance to read it. The fact that being a superhero helped to increase Alison's confidence, and allowed her to meet people who supported her growth, made the book even better.

I should point out that it's fairly obvious who the villain is in the story, but the predictability didn't really detract from the fun of the story.

Although
Liviania
Jun 12, 2012 Liviania rated it really liked it
But hey, we all know not to judge a book by its cover. It's the content that matters. And I was almost as worried about the content as the cover a couple of chapters in. The first sweeps through the head of several characters of varying importance, as Alison receives news of her election. None of the characters come off as particularly sympathetic. Alison then gives in to her friends manipulation to get plastic surgery - at fourteen.

But when her bad decision goes wrong, HOTTIE gets moving. There
Anna
Plot:

This book had a very original plot. I haven't heard about the idea of a girl becoming a superhero too much in the young adult genre. However, I thought the story dragged on a little longer than it had to. To me, it started out a little slow, and it took me a really long time to get into the story.

Characters:

While the characters were written and described nicely, the main character, Alison (aka Hottie) really got on my nerves. After a while, I got sick of her "oh gosh, my friends hate my, my
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

I had to seriously ponder what category to place HOTTIE into when starting my review. I opted for the easy out with "contemporary," but HOTTIE is one of those books that could easily fall under "thriller" or "action-adventure." And if necessary, "comics" could even be applied, after knowing the premise of the story.

Alison Cole seemingly has it all. She's just won the election for freshman class president. Fortunately, it helps to have a film crew following
Alea
Mar 22, 2009 Alea rated it liked it
Shelves: read-for-review
Hottie was a fun, action-packed and funny book! I think my favorite thing was the author's way with words, the way he describes things, so funny. And he has a great talent for writing characters. From the girl that speaks with a fake French accent for fear of being overshadowed by her friend of the girl that looks like an anime character, there are some hilarious characters in this book. I have to say that I wish the main character Alison aka Hottie was a little less normal and had a few more qu ...more
Kelli
Sep 25, 2011 Kelli rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That is what I have to say about the premise of this book. Her fingertips shoot fire and the romantic lead is described as dorky David Eels, a social reject. My friend found this so hilarious, that she bought this book for a dollar and gave it to me. I think the cover of this book is a ball of pink genius.
Especially the flaming word "hottie". BUT we cannot judge a book by its cover, so I read some of it. I will say the writing isn't half horrible and its only for a dollar. So i
Carla Lee
Feb 13, 2014 Carla Lee rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
Could not get past the first few chapters.
Ashley Hackenmiller
Aug 09, 2009 Ashley Hackenmiller rated it liked it
My thoughts: This novel was incredibly well written but not my thing. I don’t really like most books that could come across as fantasy or such so this was just different. I think most people could enjoy the quirks and characters. I guess I just don’t have much to say because to me it was just… average.

Recommendation: I would recommend this to girls in 7th grade and up who like books with a little fantasy spin on them.

Erica Handley
Jun 09, 2009 Erica Handley rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
While this story is set like a typical ya book (mean stepmother, mean girls, popularity, cute boyfriend) it has a superhero twist. It took a little while to get into but I can't wait (hopefully) for another book.
Tricia
Sep 26, 2010 Tricia rated it liked it
This book is a nice, easy read and really relates to the language used by teenagers today. I'd reccomend this to anyone who just wants to take a break and read something fun.
Tina
Mar 05, 2009 Tina rated it it was amazing
Buffy meets Fire Starter, with a dash of Clueless thrown in. Deliciously funny.
Oct 24, 2008 Laura marked it as to-read
Another ARC I rec'd. Currently reading it. It's interesting.
Whooopdeedooo
Jun 18, 2011 Whooopdeedooo rated it it was amazing
It was a good book. I don't know what else to say.... :)
Ashley
Sep 05, 2013 Ashley rated it it was amazing
This book had me laughing from the beginning till the end.
Chris Jackson
Apr 02, 2013 Chris Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the best novels in the world.
Dec 02, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult-teen
Read for professional review.
Roxy
Roxy marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Kimi
Kimi added it
Mar 08, 2016
Alexandra Lehnus
Alexandra Lehnus marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Sam Rayburn
Sam Rayburn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Lianne
Lianne marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Careen
Careen marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Kyra Berndt
Kyra Berndt marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Katelyn R
Katelyn R marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Molly
Molly rated it did not like it
Jul 04, 2015
matthew sanchez
matthew sanchez rated it did not like it
Jul 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Hottie is.... 1 2 Jun 06, 2012 09:17PM
  • Exclusively Chloe
  • GoldenGirl (Bradford, #1)
  • Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch
  • DupliKate
  • Riding the Universe
  • All About Vee (Fat Girls in LA, #1)
  • BATMAN: Gotham Knight
  • A Templar's Apprentice (Tormod Trilogy #1)
  • Paris Pan Takes the Dare
  • The Magical Tale of Eliza Felding
  • Platinum (Golden, #2)
  • Highway to Hell (Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #3)
  • Triple Shot Bettys in Love (Triple Shot Bettys, #2)
  • Vampire
  • Playing with Fire (The Secret Life of Samantha McGregor, #3)
  • A Cool Moonlight
  • The Debs
  • The Witch is Back (Life's a Witch, #3)
207273
I am the author of Bridget Wilder: Spy-In-Training.
Bridget Wilder is an adequate daughter, an unexceptional student and a mediocre friend. She's just found out she's also the biological daughter of one of the world's most lethal and notorious spies, the legendary Carter Strike.

Now Bridget lives in two worlds. One, where her family forgets her birthday and so-called class clowns call her Midget Wi
More about Jonathan Bernstein...

Hottie (2 books)
  • Burning Ambition (Hottie, #2)