Start by marking “The Drastic Dragon of Draco, Texas (Valentine Lovelace, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Drastic Dragon of Draco, Texas (Valentine Lovelace, #1)

The Drastic Dragon of Draco, Texas (Valentine Lovelace #1)

Determined to become an author of western penny dreadful novels like her idol, Ned Buntline, a young San Francisco newspaper editor christens herself Valentine Lovelace (after a floozie acquaintance of her father’s) and heads east for the Wild West.
She finds it in spades in the Texas Big Bend when she is kidnapped from a mule train by Comanches and ends up the guest of a r
Mass Market Paperback, 247 pages
Published June 27th 1986 by Bantam Books (first published June 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Drastic Dragon of Draco, Texas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Drastic Dragon of Draco, Texas

Karen
Jul 15, 2011 Karen rated it liked it
Writing was good. Characters fleshed out relatively well. But it didn't have whatever element it Is that makes you care about the characters and their part in the story. It never grabbed me and held me. I just didn't care. This was one of those books I finished just so I could be sure I didn't miss anything. I didn't ~
Margaret
Dec 11, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2011
I vacillated between being repelled and being intrigued by the campy looking cover art before I actually picked it up and read it. (By the way, those are red chili peppers in the girl's hand, not worms like I first thought! lol). And guess what? you really can't judge a book by its cover - this one is definitely better than it looks. I'm not saying it's great - it is a western fantasy, a genre I never knew existed, have never read and well honestly, does not generally appeal to me. However, it ...more
Jenny Schwartz
Nov 21, 2014 Jenny Schwartz rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, history
The book is dated. I'm quite sad about that. I read a number of Elizabeth Ann Scarborough's books about twenty years ago and I have really positive memories of them. "The Healer's War" dealt with the Vietnam War, and her godmother series was interesting in the weaving of fantasy and social commentary.

I should have read "The Drastic Dragon" back then -- only it wasn't in any of the shops here or the library.

Reading it now, it just didn't work for me. I guess my sense of how you portray history, t
Alycia
Feb 20, 2015 Alycia rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, a-l
OK, so we have a character named "Drake" living in Fort Draco. With the book being about a dragon, I kept expecting to find a connection ... but there wasn't one. The author couldn't seem to decide if this was a fantasy tale, or a satire of the penny dreadfuls that the main character aspires to write. I don't think I will bother with the second in the series.
Karina Doane
Karina Doane rated it really liked it
May 05, 2015
Joella Berkner
Joella Berkner rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2012
Anne Adamowski
Anne Adamowski rated it liked it
May 18, 2012
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2011
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2012
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
May 17, 2011
Eelsmum
Eelsmum rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Nick Hegge
Nick Hegge rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2014
Gerri Balter
Gerri Balter rated it did not like it
Jun 15, 2014
Jinjifore
Jinjifore rated it it was ok
May 27, 2016
Katrina
Katrina rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2013
Cat Skyfire
Cat Skyfire rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2013
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2014
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2008
Tom Koffer
Tom Koffer rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2014
Marcy Mitchell
Marcy Mitchell rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Jonathon
Jonathon rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2011
Sheila
Sheila rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2010
Gina
Gina rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
May 22, 2007
Jennifer Heise
Jennifer Heise rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Mitch Howard
Mitch Howard rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2015
Barbara Loyd
Barbara Loyd rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2011
Danita L
Danita L rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Carmen
Carmen rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2008
David
David rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
11906
Elizabeth Ann Scarborough was born March 23, 1947, and lives in the Puget Sound area of Washington. Elizabeth won a Nebula Award in 1989 for her novel The Healer's War, and has written more than a dozen other novels. She has collaborated with Anne McCaffrey, best-known for creating the Dragonriders of Pern, to produce the Petaybee Series and the Acorna Series.
More about Elizabeth Ann Scarborough...

Valentine Lovelace (2 books)
  • The Goldcamp Vampire, or the Sanguinary Sourdough (Valentine Lovelace, #2)